Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Annemarie

Θεάτρο Olympia Παρίσι 1987

18 posts in this topic

The official site, dalaras.gr,

states that in 1987 Dalaras gave 14 consecutive concerts at the Olympia in Paris.

Would anyone of you know the dates of this series of concert ?

Was it his first appearance at the Olympia ?

The official site_ dalaras.gr_ states that in 1987 Dalaras gave 14 consecutive concerts at the Olympia in Paris. :blink:

The number 14 might be the result of a mix-up with the 14 concerts of the1985 European Tour but what about the year mentionned_1987_?

Could it be the result of another mix-up or did Dalaras actually sing in  Europe and Israel in 1987?

Annette,

I found this information:

1987 25June - 5 July OLYMPIA Paris.

A whole week of Greek culture in Paris.

G. Dalaras E. Arvanitaki, T. Tsanaklidou, D. Theodosis, Mariana

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/mae...987-OLYMPIA.jpg

I don't know if this information is accurate.

Annette,

I found this information:

1987 25June - 5 July OLYMPIA Paris.

A whole week of Greek culture in Paris.

G. Dalaras E. Arvanitaki, T. Tsanaklidou, D. Theodosis, Mariana

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/mae...987-OLYMPIA.jpg

I don't know if this information is accurate.

Thank you Apostolis :D

We have seen this photo before haven't we ?

Greek music from June 25 to July 5 1987 at the Olympia :(

Do we know where the information comes from ?

Hope we will find more details soon !

The first time at Olympia was the 02.04.1986 (according to this poster from the official website)http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f325/Ann...afissaOly86.jpg

Thanks to you too Anna. :(

So, I suppose, this would be the date of the concert partially recorded on the CD "Ζωντανές ηχογραφήσεις"

(with the lady spoiling Dalaras's introductory words in hesitant french !! :( )

If this was his first appearance at the Olympia, I wonder where he sang, in Paris, during the first European Tour in 1985?

Thank you Apostolis :D

We have seen this photo before haven't we ?

Greek music from June 25 to July 5 1987 at the Olympia :(

Do we know where the information comes from ?

Hope we will find more details soon !

Yes Annette! The photo has been posted in the forum before. Probably at the "Dalaras Photos" topic. Whoever firstly posted this photo, gave us this information. If you find the photo in the forum you will probably find this information and the person who uploaded the photo. I will help you with the search. If I find the post I will give you the link! :(

......More than 65.000 people-I was one of them-attended a 3 hour concert with many singers: ΔΙΟΝΥΣΗΣ ΘΕΟΔΟΣΗΣ, ΕΛΕΝΗ ΔΗΜΟΥ,ΛΟΥΚΙΑΝΟΣ ΚΗΛΑΗΔΟΝΗΣ ΕΛΕΥΘΕΡΙΑ ΑΡΒΑΝΙΤΑΚΗ, ΑΦΟΙ ΚΑΤΣΙΜΙΧΑ , ΜΑΡΙΑΝΑ και η υπέροχη ΤΑΝΙΑ ΤΣΑΝΑΚΛΙΔΟΥ.Most of them had performed together a few weeks earlier at Olympia theatre .It was a tribute to Greek culture. Dalaras said that Tsanaklidou was brilliant in Paris and we should all thank her for her performance. Well, she was brilliant that night ,too.

This is the only photo I could find,and it`s before the concert started.

I have found this post by Rena (p. 41of "Dalaras photos", November 3, 2003) which confirms your information but the photo is not available unfortunately.

Thank you Apostolis.

Searching archives, the only information I have been able to find, so far, is a short article in Le Monde dated from Tuesday June 9, 1987.

Briefly summarised, the article says that to fill in the theatre during the summer low season, the direction of the Olympia has decided to revive a tradition started by Bruno Coquatrix (former owner of the Olympia) twenty years ago: to invite groups of performers from other countries, often with the collaboration of the ministry of culture and tourism of these countries.

In 1987 two countries were invited: Portugal and Greece.

According to Le Monde, the Portuguese company performance at Olympia would last from June 9 to June 23 and that of the Greek company from June 23 to July 5.

In addition to the Hanis Mantafounis Ballet, Greece [will present] Marianna Efstration, interpreter of Dionyssis Savopoulos songs (Im quoting Le Monde); Tania Tsanaklidou who has played the role of Edith Piaf in an Athens theatre; Georges Dalaras, the new Greek composer-songwriter whose songs best reflect the sensibility of the Greek youth of today.

Comments:

a)Now we know how this whole week of Greek culture in Paris came to be

b)The Greek performances probably didnt start before the 24th of June, since the Portuguese finished on the 23rd

even so, we are not far from the 14 consecutive performances mentioned on the official website. :D

c)E. Arvanitaki and D. Theodosis are not mentioned in the article.

d)Could Hanis Mantafounis be Charis Mandafounis from the Greek National Opera?

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/recherche_breve/...7-569547,0.html

Great finding Annette!! Thanx for searching the French newspaper!!

So, from 24 of June to 5 of July are 12 days. If we suppose that Dalaras made a concert every day those 12 days how come there were 14 concerts? :razz::razz::razz::D

If anyone happens to find any article that confirms that Dalaras indeed made 12 or 14 consecutive performances, please inform us!!

Thank you Annette once more!

Although I inquired at the Nimes Municipalitys archives where they have a professional database, I havent been able to find any of the concert reviews from which the quotations, published on both Dalaras websites, have been taken.

Perhaps a search should be made in Greece, under other names, since Dalaras was part of a group of performers; or at the Ministry of Culture and Tourism who probably participated in the organization of this Greek week.

Ill try the Greek Embassy in Paris.

Part of the 1986 Palais des sports and Olympia concerts in Paris were recorded in Live Recordings.

http://bide-et-musique.cdandlp.com/item/1/...recordings.html

I would be surprised if Dalaras had given 14 or 12 consecutive concerts. To keep him there for two weeks is kind of expensive for whoever had to shoulder the cost. As we have seen with the Greek Culture Month in Vienna, he appeared only once (or twice, I can't remember).

In any case, the Greek Community in Paris may know something, but again, it is so far back. Or the Olympia itself may have something in its archives. Just some suggestions if anyone is interested.

Both the BNF (French National Library) and Figaro newspaper have been contacted.

They might be able to give us more details but it will take time.

Annette, when you say something you mean it!! :pity: Great!! Thank you for your help! :blush:

Today, I received from the newspaper Le Figaro, a copy of the complete article mentioned in the posts above.

The article was written on Friday June 26, 1987 by Rene Sirvan, a well-known art critic.

According to the reviewer, the programme started with Marianna Efstratiou and Angela who together with Dyonisois Theodosis sang about half a dozen songs by Hadjidakis.

Then came Elefteria Arvanitaki (a tiny person with long curly hair) who sang more oriental songs with Lefteris Zervas playing violin and Christos Nikolopoulos bouzouki.

The first half of the concert ended with Tania Tsanaklidou who sang superb songs by Y. Spanos, G. Hatzinasios and Xarchakos. Her whole performance, including her interpretation of Edith Piaf La Foule (in Greek), was very much appreciated.

The Haris Mandafounis ballets appeared several times during this first part of the programme.

The second part was Dalaras part: he sang about fifteen songs which the reviewer finds generous.

He is very complimentary about Dalaras voice and interpretation but finds him a little to shy

His impression is that Dalarasrepertoire, on that night, had less variety than during his marvellous recital at Olympia last year

(namely 1986 - according to the poster downloaded by Anna this was Dalaras first time at Olympia).

The concert ended with all the artists singing Theodorakis song Kaimos.

A footnote gives the following indication:

Olympia. 20h 30. Until July 5.

unfortunately it doesnt say how many times the performance was repeated between the 25th of June and the 5th of July

These are only the bare bones of the review; a translation might be forthcoming.

So, there were indeed a lot of consecutive concerts in Olympia and the dates where accurate!! The only remaining question is if there were 14 concerts or there were less.

Annette, I want to thank you very much for your effort and for the information you managed to provide us!

Annette,you are the best! Thank you for theese informations!! :)

Btw.My research has nothing to say :razz:;) (nothing found :mad: )

Αλλο εψαχνα,αλλο βρηκα...

Αυτη τηη συνεντευξη δεν την ειχα δει τοτε που εψαχνα για το συγγεκριμενο θεμα :razz::razz:

Στο περιοδικο που λεω σε αλλο τοπικ(το ''Και''-Ιουλιος-87)αναμεσα σ'αλλα αναφερεται πως ''Αυτες τις ημερες ο Γιωργος Νταλαρας βρισκεται στο Παρισι για να παρουσιασει με το συγκροτημα του στο ''Olympia'' ''Το μεγαλο μουσικο θεαμα της Ελλαδας''.Μαζι του η Ελευθερια Αρβανιτακη,ο Διονυσης Θεοδοσης,η Μαριαννα Ευστρατιαδου και η Αντζελα,μια Ελληνιδα τραγουδιστρια που ζει και κανει καριερα στη Γαλλια.''

Τωρα που μ'εχει πιασει και κανω...ανασκαφες ;) στο αρχειο ισως βρω και τιποτ'αλλο σχετικο που μου ειχε ξεφυγει την αλλη φορα.... B)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0