soc

Bat

16 posts in this topic

Bat

Like a bat you go out and you spread,

standing at the city's lanterns,

with your white breast, bare, you puzzle

those who are passing by at night

and you have your way, to attract their eyes.

(the exact meaning of this last lyric would be, you have a way to make their eyes look like they just saw honey, which is an expression in greek for when you see something beautiful)

What anticipation are you facing with passion

in the illusions of every provision

the world, a sick tobacco you are smoking

and you are doing your time (meaning in prison) every day

going through the night by yourself, mumbling.

And what can you say in two words of the moment

it won't be me, it won't be you

you are looking for two empty words to hold on to

and then to get lost again

A mark of violence gives it away,

on the right part of your forehead, from yesterday

the night is over, let it go to ####

and you are looking for new lovers

but you use for courage a wound that hurts

And what can you say........

correction: "Meloneis" would rather be you make them sweet as honey although I think it is used to describe both

(oh man, I have been away too long, and you know what? It's 100 degrees on Boston tonight. Air conditioning, fans, nothing does the trick and there is nowhere to go. I wish I was at the Kalamitsi beach in Chalkidiki, or at Elefantonisi in Crete, or in Santorini or Ithaki....or......or........forget it, I need a drink....kai ti na peis, se dio kouventes tis stigmis, paraponemena logia exoun ta tragoudia mas, giati e seis steries kai thalasses, t'a ampelia kai oi xrises elies, me kanoun na oneireuomai ap' to parathiro na taksideuo, but as a friend of mine says tis makrines tis thalasses mi sillogiesai giati i omorfi kai parakseni patrida mou eipe "kali tixi opou ki an pas").

Homesickness. No joke. It's the most painful emotion I know.

Yesterday evening I was waving goodbye to friends of mine, a couple who are emigrating (to Ireland, of all places - such a reversal...). The huge ferry pulling out, the gulls screaming, and then it started to rain... My friends at the railing, she was waving the handkerchief I'd embroidered for a parting present - and they were so happy, so optimistic, so full of plans! They'll find out - we all do.

The one "good" thing about homesickness is that it leaves magnificent songs in its wake. (Well, let's be grateful for small blessings).

Socrate, thank you again for this translation. It's a hard one but it's worth it!! Let's go gently...

One thing I would suggest is

L2. Standing under the city's lanterns

'melioneis' has me stumped - there's nothing like Greek honey (as Nikolas proved in another thread) :) :)

L11. What can you say with two words in one moment?

or did I misunderstand after all?

Sorry, I've GOT to go play this song. NOW.

I think it's better "and what can you say in two words of the moment" meaning that she has too much to say and two fast (spontaneous)  words cannot describe what she wants to say

under the lanterns is of course more correct

Progress report...

Line 1. "you spread" sounds "incomplete", in English you always spread *something*. I can think of two suggestions:

1. Like a bat, you go out and spread your wings

or Like a bat, you go out and stretch

L5. Still stumped.

L7. Even worse.

L11. Soc, you realize you're teaching me Greek grammar here?  (As well a Greek poetry). To get the meaning across in English, how about:

11. And what can you say, in the two words this moment allows?

(I'd like something more litteral but can't find it)

L12. More grammar. Oh those greek verbs, grrr! Trying to read around the ', I thought: "δεν θα είμαι εγω, δεν θα είσαι εσύ" ?  but this would litterally translate as:

12. I will not be me, you will not be you

and what does the poet mean by it anyway?

Excuse me, I'm just going to put on the record again. When he sings the song, I suddenly feel I understand it... in a different way...

Soc

I am very sorry if this makes you a little jealous. Have you been to the "vathres" of Samothraki? How sorry I am for you. I will be there next week. But soc, I am so sorry you have never been there. 100 degrees? Celsius scale? Oh soc, I feel terrible for you but I will go next week to Samothraki for you, I promise...don't :cry: please...

I honestly believe we should let grammar go for a walk when we try to translate. Otherwise we will have a grammaticaly perfect text that makes no sense.

SO:

I stick with It won't be me, it won't be you

(the way I understand it is that it will be none of us who can find the meaning that two words of the moment cannot describe)

The two words that the moment allows makes much more sense in English but I hate it. it reminds me of a joke:

What is the difference between an American man and

and an English man

(The radio is playing "I Asfaltos pou trexei" at this very moment. You should see the stupid smile on my face. 10:00pm, I am at the office and I am listening to greek radio stations through the Internet. And there it is. Egin' o kosmos pente orgies kai mena de mou ftanei. Well this is the song of the day)

So, what is the difference between an American man and an English man:

The American says: Oh honey, I am coming, I am coming!!!!!

The English says: Oh Dear. I do declare that I am ariving.

(By the way, I reproduce the joke exactly as I heard it, it doesn't reflect my opinion (well, partially it does)

So, thw two words the moment allows sounds a bit too much for me. BUT, it is more correct than my interpretation (which took place in a moment of intentional grammatical ignorance)

Remember me Nikola. In the first three months, this page will be the greatest pleasure you are going to  have. Then, you will understand how much it means to us and why we love you so much.  

Socrate, I love your attitude towards grammar - and have you noticed, it's much easier to take these liberties with a language not our own! :) Let's twist English around a bit!!

As for the Greek, well, I only go look at grammar when I don't understand any other way [like electrical appliances, only read the manual when all else has failed :) ] but that's quite often at this stage...

btw. that joke (hihihi)... I have some british friends who are going to hate it :)

The reason I asked about L11 was that I wasn't sure I understood it in English - and as it turned out I didn't... So... What next? another attempt? How about...

L11. with just the two words of this one moment

or it may be better to add a note in [...]

The reason I asked about L.12 is that I was thinking of it as "I will not be myself, you will not be yourself" which makes some sense - different sense - and how am *I* to know? Sorry.

I have thought of something for

L.5. and you have your way, it puts honey-sweetness in their eyes

(not very good put one has to have something)

L7. I give up.

I just noticed (the cd booklet is lying open here) there is a line missing in the post, the second one, "karteri stineis" (wasn't that 'you lie in wait' or something?)

I'll stop badgering you about this song tomorrow, I promise. Too much midnight oil will spoil it.

What shall we do next? Your song of today? The phrase you quoted is exactly the bit I can't make *any* sense of!!! Oh, I forgot, you're doing that beautiful, incomprehensible 'yinaika', first. At least two of us waiting eagerly...

You are not badgering. Last night it was very enjoyable. I was teaching one of those night classes (6:00-9:00pm) and after I was done I didn't want to leave the office. So I stayed. enjoyed Nikolas' posts (grrrrrrr) and the radio helped as well.

So,

what are we doing next. After I send out a paper tonight I start working on "Gynaika"

I have the feeling that i "Asfaltos pou trexei" will be the hardest one. We 'll try that next (I really believe this is an amazing song). To give you an idea, the part I mentioned would be:

The whole world is now only five steps (orgies is a measurement unit no longer in use, so I doubt there is an English word for that) and it's not big enough for me

Soc, if you just heard a loud noise, it was me shouting "so THAT's it!"

Of course my pocket dictionnary didn't know 'orgies' so I lacked the key word. I've been wondering about this for months, this is SUCH a relief - like taking a leak after five pints of beer...

Will you post a 'final version' of Nychterida ?

Well, I am sure you found a word for orgies but it didn't make sense. Let's have Nikolas post in the translations section the version of nychterida he wants (when he has time, since he is so busy going to Vathres), and I start Didimoteixo Blues today. Gynaika is next

Νυχτερίδα_____||_____ Vleermuis

Μουσική: Νίκος Ζούδιαρης

Στίχοι: Νίκος Ζούδιαρης

Σαν νυχτερίδα βγαίνεις και απλώνεις_____||_____ Als een vleermuis kom je naar buiten - je strekt je vleugels -

καρτέρι στήνεις _____||_____ je gaat in hinderlaag

στης πόλης τους φανούς_____||_____ onder de lantaarns van de stad.

με τ' άσπρο στήθος σου γυμνό _____||_____ Met je witte borst onbedekt

θολώνεις_____||_____ verwar je

τους νυχτόβιους περαστικούς_____||_____ de nachtelijke voorbijgangers,

κι έχεις τον τρόπο _____||_____ en je hebt dat

στη ματιά να τους μελώνεις_____||_____ in je ogen, waardoor zij honing zien.

Ποια προσδοκία με πάθος ατενίζεις_____||_____ Naar welk vooruitzicht blijf je toegewijd staren

στις ψευδαισθήσεις κάθε παροχής_____||_____ in de begoocheling van elk aanbod?

ο κόσμος άρρωστος _____||_____ De wereld een zieke

καπνός που τον καπνίζεις_____||_____ tabak die je oprookt,

και έκτιση καθημερινής ποινής_____||_____ en de uitvoer van een straf, elke dag,

να ξημερώνεις μοναχή _____||_____ dat je eenzaam door moet tot de dageraad

να μουρμουρίζεις_____||_____ in jezelf mompelend.

Και τι να πεις _____||_____ En wat kun je zeggen

σε δυο κουβέντες της στιγμής_____||_____ in twee woorden van het ogenblik?

δεν θα 'μαι 'γώ _____||_____ Ik ben het niet.

δεν θα 'σαι 'συ_____||_____ Jij bent het niet.

ψάχνεις να βρεις _____||_____ Je bent op zoek

δυο κούφια λόγια να πιαστείς_____||_____ naar twee holle woorden om je vast te grijpen

κι ύστερα πάλι θα χαθείς_____||_____ om daarna weer te verdwijnen.

Ένα σημάδι βίας μαρτυράει_____||_____ Een teken van geweld getuigt

στη δεξιά μετώπη για το χτες_____||_____ aan de rechterkant van je voorhoofd.

η νύχτα που 'φυγε _____||_____ De nacht die voorbij is

στο διάολο να πάει_____||_____ mag naar de duivel lopen.

κι αναζητάς ξανά _____||_____ En jij gaat weer op zoek

πλανόδιους εραστές_____||_____ naar voorbijgaande geliefden...

μα έχεις κουράγιο _____||_____ Maar je hebt als moed

μια πληγή που σε πονάει_____||_____ een wond die je pijn doet.

Και τι να πεις _____||_____ En wat kun je zeggen

σε δυο κουβέντες της στιγμής_____||_____ in twee woorden van het ogenblik?

δεν θα 'μαι 'γώ _____||_____ Ik ben het niet.

δεν θα 'σαι 'συ_____||_____ Jij bent het niet.

ψάχνεις να βρεις _____||_____ Je bent op zoek

δυο κούφια λόγια να πιαστείς_____||_____ naar twee holle woorden om je vast te grijpen

κι ύστερα πάλι θα χαθείς_____||_____ om daarna weer te verdwijnen.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead