Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gazakas

Ωδή στον Γεώργιο Καραϊσκάκη

9 posts in this topic

I post this song after Geeske's request.Indeed,it's a very difficult song ,not only to translate but ,more importantly ,to comprehend.I make the wild guess that even a Greek understands half of what the song means.I give my own explanations and speculations in the end....

ΩΔΗ ΣΤΟ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΟ ΚΑΡΑΙΣΚΑΚΗ

Μουσική-Στίχοι Διονύσης Σαββόπουλος

Δίσκος:Το περιβόλι του τρελλού(1968)

Η οθόνη βουλιάζει σαλεύει το πλήθος

εικόνες ξεχύνονται με μιας

πού πας παλικάρι ωραίο σαν μύθος

κι ολόισια στο θάνατο κολυμπάς

Και όλες οι αντένες μιας γης χτυπημένης

μεγάφωνα και ασύρματοι από παντού

γλυκά σε νανουρίζουν κι εσύ ανεβαίνεις

ψηλά στους βασιλιάδες τ' ουρανού

Ποιος στ' αλήθεια είμαι εγώ και πού πάω

με χίλιες δυο εικόνες στο μυαλό

προβολείς με στραβώνουν και πάω

και γονατίζω και το αίμα σου φιλώ

Πού πας παλικάρι πομπές ξεκινούνε

κι οι σκλάβες σου ουρλιάζουν στο βωμό

ουρλιάζουν τα πλήθη καμπάνες ηχούνε

κι ο ύμνος σου τραντάζει το ναό

Ποιος στ' αλήθεια είμαι εγώ και πού πάω

με χίλιες δυο εικόνες στο μυαλό

οι προβολείς με στραβώνουν και πάω

και γονατίζω και το αίμα σου φιλώ

Ode to Georgios Karaiskakis

The screen is sinking,the crowd is moving

images are rushing in at once

Where are you going,young man,beautiful like a myth

and straightforward to death you swim?

And all the antennas of a struck land,

megaphones and radios everywhere,

sweetly they lull you and you are ascenting

high,to the kings of the sky

Who really am I and where am I going

with a thousand images in my mind?

Ηeadlights blind me and I'm going,

I kneel and your blood I kiss.

Where are you going,young man?Pomps start up

and your slaves yell on the altar

The crowds yell,bells sound

and your hymn shakes the temple  

Who really am I and where am I going

with a thousand images in my mind?

Ηeadlights blind me and I'm going,

I kneel and your blood I kiss.

-Γεώργιος Καραϊσκάκης:He was a hero of the Greek Revolution(1821)against Turks.He died on the siege of Athens.A myth,a legend ,known as "the son of the nun".Savvopoulos here uses his name in order to speak for all the heroes of this Revolution.Τhat period of our history suffered severely by the way it was used by the illegitimate military government of 1967-74.The song is an effort to view those heroes in a different way.The hero goes up in the sky(eternity,glory etc.)and nothing (οθόνη, πλήθος, εικόνες, αντένες, μεγάφωνα, ασύρματοι)seems to touch him.Savvopoulos thinks of himself and the proper attitude towards the hero and finally he decides to honour him.That is how I have perceived this particular song :confused: If anyone has something else or more is welcome!

By the way,there is another version of this song sung by Dalaras and Savvopoulos together in Savvopoulos' record "Ζήτω το Ελληνικό Τραγούδι" and there it is in a meddley with another Savvopoulos' song,Τσάμικος.Εxtremely good!

Some song!!

It's about hero-worship, then, is it?

I'm not sure I understand it right.

The song is asking: do I let anyone tell me who is a hero, who to honor, or do I decide myself? Asking: can I still honor this hero, even if he is loudly praised by very wrong people?

Some song!!!!

About the translation: μεγάφωνα is another of those cases where we want to put in both translations (loudspeakers, and megaphones) at once. Poor destitute English language, lacking the right word again :sarcasm:

I suppose we could polish up the English a bit, do we want to? Σαββοπουλος deserves our best, I guess...

Not exactly "worship",but yes you got it more than right!Oh,Geeske,you inerpretated wonderful the questions made by Savvopoulos in this song!

And,guys,listen to her request!Indeed Nionios needs our best English!(He has given too the best Greek to beloved English,American and Italian songs   :confused: )-Although I have my reasons for the mixed use of the two forms of the present tense,if that's a problem Gees...

I meant hero-worship as a rather technical term, for a mass-behaviour pattern (a closely related form is the "personality cult" some communist states liked to practice; another one is the deification of emperors the old Romans were using...).

So, the individual has to escape the mass-behaviour, and then look at the hero again, and ask: what do I think myself?

Well, here is our joint effort so far... Gazakas (and every one else), please remember that only kind of remarks/criticisms will offend me: the one you don't tell me! So, shoot!

ODE TO GEORGIO KARAISKAKIS

Music: Dionysis Savvopoulos

Lyrics: Dionysis Savvopoulos

Translation: Geeske and Gazakas

The screen is sinking, the crowd is stirring,

images all at once are rushing in.

Where are you going, palikari, beautiful like a legend,

as, straight ahead, you drift into death?

And all the antennas of a beaten land ,

megaphones loudspeakers and radios everywhere,

sweetly they lull you to sleep, and you, you are ascending

up on high among the rulers of heaven.

Who, in truth, am I, and where am I going,

with a thousand and two images in my mind?

Headlights blind me and I am going

and I kneel down and kiss your blood.

Where are you going, palikari? The processions are on their way,

and your slaves are howling at the altar.

The crowds are yelling, the bells are ringing,

and your hymn shakes the church.

Who, in truth, am I, ...

I'm not happy with the translation of μιας γης χτυπημένης, particulartly the χτυπημένης : I put in "beaten" in the sense of "beaten up", "having been struck with blows" (not as in "having lost a battle"), because Gazakas' "struck" is not used in this way in English. I'd like a better word though.

Βrilliant!Excellent!Poetical!

Only a slight objection and a shy explanation:

-βασιλιάδες τ'ουρανού:I don't think Savvopoulos speaks here of any kind of rulers,and surely he doesn't mean "heaven" with the meaning of Paradise.I think he has in my mind the heroes that have been already ascented to the "pantheon" OR (and that's a very wild guess)he speaks poetically about the stars(the hero goes very-very high,that is).

-Geeske knows better,but I used "struck",'cause I had in mind a land struck by a lightning or another disaster ,and if the word is wrong,I would like a word with this meaning.

Again it's a fine translation,and if you try you 'll find out you can sing some parts of the translated text with the melody of the original :confused:

:confused: στο πα και στο ξαναλέω: Geeske does NOT know!!! Her dictionary is less than 200 pages and the rest is BLUFF. So stop apologizing for explaining to me what I'm begging to be told, please?

To business:

- I like your idea about βασιλιάδες τ'ουρανού. How about "the great ones in the heavens" as a way to express that in English? As far as I can tell, "sky" is where the clouds are, "heavens"  (plural, no capital) is where the stars are, or the gods (not God, gods).

- χτυπημένης: "to strike"  is definitely the verb we want, then? (I keep telling you, I don't know!) The problem with " strike" is that is has two participles, "stricken" and "struck". And I'm not too sure of the correct nuance of usage. As far as I know, and only in the case where the participle is used as an adjective... if we have in mind lightning, or a drought, or a dictatorship, or another Disaster, it would have to be "stricken"; if it's a physical blow, like a person being hit, or a match being lit, it might be "struck". But I may be waaaaay off here. Lynne, Kate, where are you??? heeeeeeeeeeelp!

Let's go for "stricken", for the moment?

I love "the great ones in the heavens"  :) It's very Tolkienish :confused:

As for "stricken"or "struck" ,I was sure I have seen the expression "struck by a lightning",but then it might have been an American text!Oh,whatever!!!

I can't print it until friday and it's very difficult on screen, but you can be struck by lightening, that's correct.  Stricken is more like a disease i.e. he was stricken with measles (bad example but you know what I mean.)

When I print it I'll see better.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0