Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Θεσσαλονίκη

29 posts in this topic

I think it's a little more complicated than that.

First, Καββαδίας loved painting (to look at, but to do, as well, I understand). So I think this thing about Modigliani is personal to him.

Second, he had a weird relationship with women - would only make love with one if one of them paid the other for it.

My impression is that the κοριτσι is in fact a prostistute; she would be a very thin, wasted girl; either literally or metaphorically blind. And the cadet and the Marmara sailors would be two of her other men.

And out of what, or into what, she guides the "you" in the poem (who is in fact the poet, I think we agree on that)... Quite possibly, death (ταξίδι του χαμού).

I don't know, it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

I'm glad of the details about πρώτος and γραδάρω. Gazaka, please thank you uncle for us!! (It seems that in Greece, like in Holland, you never have to look _very_ far to find a sailor among your acquaintance...).

I guess Geeske is right when she says Kavvadias is talking about a real girl(though maybe the particular painting was indeed on the ship),but tell me:was I wrong in the explanation of παιδί του Modigliani?

I must say Kavvadias often made that mix of reality and fantasy,of the past and the present and so on in his poems...

Which Kavvadias' poem is next?

You mean, that he calls a girl 'child of Modigliani' because of her eyes? I definitely agree with that. Instead of saying "she is long and thin and has strange eyes", he says "a child of Modigliani", which sounds a great deal better :D

And she can be real, or in a painting, or in his φαντασία, or a mixture... that does not matter so much.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0