Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Astron

George Dalaras and Cyprus

9 posts in this topic

Pavlos, thanks for the comment and, especially Nicki for translating into English!

As Mr. Kliridis and Mr. Denktasch are talking together now 3 times in the week, do you think this will give some hope for the future?

From what I have understand (from what I have been told in my school, is the correct expresion...) as Cyprus is about to enter the EU, it is better for Dektasch to have sort out this matter before that time. Cyprus is entering next year. That's for sure. But how we came here? At first the members did not want Cyprus in because that meant that they would have to sort out the Cyprus matter, but on the other hand they couldn't refuse it's entry. So they said that they would accept Cyprus no matter what the situation is. But there is a problem here. If Cyprus enters without the Cyprus matter being solved it means that for the first time the EU will have one of his territorry occupied. And that's contradictory to the freedoms that were declared in the creation of the EU and that are and have to be valid in all its territories... (eg. freedom of transportation...) So, this is one serious problem. How would the EU react to the Cyprus matter, now that it will be a matter that concerns the whole Europian Union and not only Greece?

Also if Turkey is intending to enter the EU, this is causing trouble for her as well. Because how could it enter if it occupies a part of another country that is already a member of the EU? (Don't forget that only Turkey has officially -de jure-recognise the state of Dektash. (except if some countries have recognise it de facto, but this has no importance).For all the other countries Turkey is occupying a part of Cyprus. So, how is it going to be?

That's why Kliridis and Dektasch are having talks. Dektasch wants this matter solved, otherwise there would be complications that we don't -I repeat we don't- know where they would lead this matter.

In my opinion, though the two men must present a plan and a formal proposition by the end of June-July, we cannot expect nothing, nor have expectations of any kind, as we simply don't know what they are talking about. Because certainly there are more that just the matter of the missing (a matter that for me and you is highly important but for politicians it's not of primar interest...). Dektsch want's to reach an agreement (maybe in the form of a confederation or a federation), but the question is what each leader is prepared to sacrifise for that agreement to be achieved. And of course it's a matter of what each part considers as a solution and what as an exploitation... There are many questions that have to be answered and many more are being created these days, as we will never actually learn what is really  happening and why...

They'll quibble and fight to get the thing they want - quite possibly tearing it to pieces in the process - until they see something they want even more, and then they quibble about that...

politicians, schoolkids, never mind, people are all the same  :mad:

You want to live here and then you'd not bother to listen any more!!!! :blush:   Unfortunately I don't hold out much hope for these talks.  While Denktash and Clerides are at their present positions nothing will change - these men know each other and their opinions only too well.  Unless someone else (ie USA etc) put massive pressure on them they will remain stubborn and it will just be talking once again.

Anyway thanks a lot Niki for the translation and the excellent report by Pavlos. :wow:  :wow:

:blush: Concerning the translation, I had help... but this friend is too shy and doen't want me to say his name... :wow:

Geeske, they are very old and should not even be politicans anymore.  Clerides is over 80 and I think Denktash is 78 :wow:  :wow:  :music:  :music:

Never mind Niki we all need some help sometimes and that's what friends are for - is'nt it? :blush:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0