soc

What do you think?

90 posts in this topic

Chris,you make some very good points and you are correct.Of cource, you know Dalaras as well and you know how he feels...Michael,im amazed at all the assumptions you make and how narrow minded you are...If its not "laiko" or if it does not have bouzouki in it,it does not meet your standards.Expand your horizons.There is no greek musician more aware and more passionate of the "laiko" and "rembetiko" music.In fact i would have to say Dalaras is a music historian.Its incredible how much he loves and respects the early greek music.To continue to crank out "laiko" or "rembetiko" albums would be useless and tire us.Instead he ads these types of songs in his CD's along with some other interesting sounds and composers..As far as the upgraded version of "enas kombos e haxa mou."I love it"..I think it sounds great and if you have ever seen Dalaras live in concert,that is the opening song and it sounds incredible..I am a guitar player as well and i play the new version..As far as being fortunate to know Dalaras,yes i have had the great fortune to spend many hours with him and he has even visited my home.I have had the fortune to get to know the man and he is a very intelligent,modest,humble man.His passion for music is unquestionable.He loves the past and history of greek music but has the foresight to see the new and tallented composers of todays generation.....

Sarantis, anyone that "personally" knows Dalaras (by having spent time with him and having conversations with him, too) will come to understand...how "passionate" he is about the songs of Greece! (There is NO greater love for Dalaras than the laiko and rembetiko tragoudi)!

It is probably very difficult to find the present day "traditional" laiko and rembetiko songs that Michael enjoys from the past! The "older" composers have been replaced by NEW ones and for one reason or another; their songs are NOT getting to Dalaras or the composers that write these great songs, are recording them, themselves! (Thus, lacks the number of recordings Dalaras does in a CD with laika and rembetika tragoudia)!

Being a musician (in Dalaras' words) requires more that this: "To be a musician, is NOT only holding the microphone, and moving your body, as you sing into the mircophone"! "It involves a greater involvement...the instruments, the songs, the whole picture"!

(Edited by Chris Apostolakis at 7:40 am on July 16, 2001)

Dear friends

This is a very interesting conversation but I am sure we can avoid characterizing other members...:yes:

Please follow this simple rule. I will return later with my opinion...

Well, you've busy this weekend!!

Instead of working this monday morning, I would like to contribute something too :-)

First, Sarantis, you gave me great pleasure by telling about Dalaras being such a complete musician, knowing and caring about the history of music.And defending Greek music everywhere and always. I thought he must be, but did not *know*.

In this context, a question: I think he has done some Byzantine-related things, I have one hymn somewhere which turns my heart inside out every time - what is the record to buy please? I have an old interest in Ancient music, hence the question.

On the other hand, Sarantis, please don't call Micheal narrow-minded - I don't think he is. His taste is different from yours, and his background too.

Let me quote a great author speaking of the fandom of his field, science-fiction: "Inside every fan, there is a critic struggling to get out, and inside every critic, there is a fan struggling to get out". Perhaps Michael's critic is struggling a bit harder :-)

Another thing that occured to me is this - but please don't be mad at me if I got it wrong - no offense intended... I think Sarantis and Chris are both Greek, or at least their parents or grand-parents - while, Michael is really Austrian, just as I'm Dutch? We have sort of "adopted" Greek music, and it will always have the fascination of the Other, the alien, the foreign, the exotic. Even after knowing and loving it for years, there will be this "gap" in which anything can happen - best of all, Love. Now it often happens that  people who have 'adopted' a culture feel more defensive about its authenticity than people who have been born in it. And often with good reason, because they see it more from outside and can trace evolution, change, decay... more clearly.

If I'm not mistaken, we're all agreed that Greek music in general IS under fire from The International Market (what we used to call the Capitalist Conspiracy in the bad old days). Still, if there is one musician we can trust, it is Dalaras!!!! (Three loud cheers)

About Dalaras' passionate approach to the Latin material, and the other experiments, I can think of two very good reasons. And they relate to Soc's query: "Why did not George Dalaras disapear like some others?" (Soc, you do have a way of asking the right questions!)

One is what I said above about the fascination of the Other. After all, if a Dutch barbarian like me is allowed to sing "Kali tychi" at the top of her lungs while doing the washing up, why should the Greek singer not have the desire to sing those lovely latin songs? The Other, the new, the alien, has a fascination that is unlike anything else.

The other reason is this: "Love endures as long as it runs. If it lacks impetus, if it stays still for a moment, it will fall off the saddle.  I have learned to have you, lose you, find you and live with the risk of your love" (Track 7 of "... me duo papoutsia panina").

There are few musical idioms so rich as to satisfy a great musician's appetite for a lifetime. Bach, perhaps, or classical opera - but even there, the great performers need change now and then.

To take an example that hurts me particularly: Springsteen. The New Jersey one, not the Greek one. His first album is from the same year as Dalaras' first. I can sing it to you by heart from the first line to the last and have been a Springsteen fan for half my life. But that man is finished: for one thing, he has used up his voice till there is none left. And his songs are sounding all the same. He has the tradition, but only that. And traditions are living beings, they need food to stay alive.

I am ready to bet that of Dalaras' and Springsteen's latest albums with new work, Dalaras' will be better selling. That is the reward of experimenting - if you are a genius, which he is.

By the way, if Dalaras decided he wanted to do some covers of Springsteen songs, I'd be first in line to hear them. He can do a #### good rock song when he has a mind to, and I love a good rock song.

On the other hand, there are lots of people who can do good rock songs, and NO one can do the rembetika and the laica the way Dalaras can! So I hope the new composers Chris mentionned will stop being stupid and let Dalaras have their songs.

And perhaps we (or at least you guys, who meet him for real) could let Dalaras know we very much want him to sing those. I do NOT think musicians should let the demands of fans control their repertoire, on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with showing we care about, and appreciate, certain types of music.

By the way, have you ever thought of the enormous losses to 20th century music because of the pop music superstition that people ought to perform their own compositions? You get good bands playing stupid songs, and good songs badly played... and what do you expect? A good composer is not necessarily a good performer, or vice-versa! That is one point where mainstream pop really ought to take a lesson from Greece: there, at least, being a composer is still a proper job. I'm glad Kougioumtsis is still around, even though I can't possibly afford the new record.

Oops - such a long post and still not enough...

I just wanted to tally the language question: Dalaras has, then, beside Greek, sung in Spanish, Italian, Latin, Hebrew, English... and? Any more?

Isn't there a verse in a Gypsy language in Duo-Duo?

I also wanted to express agreement with Anna on two points: singing Theodorakis in English is hopeless, and I don't particularly want to hear Dalaras learn more German than "Guten Abend". Well, "Gute Nacht" perhaps. But after that, Schluss bitte!

This sounds opionated so let me explain... I have a professional interest in languages (I make a living as a translator). I know from experience how beastly difficult it is to translate the words of a song so that they make the same sense, to the same melody, in another language. I have found that this is hardest when the tune belongs to a strong indigenous tradition, such as Irish folk or French chanson or American Blues or Rock. Then it becomes next to impossible.

There is a reason for this: each language has its own sound and rythm, and the shapes of its words and sentences influence the musical idiom.

A telling example: English is closely related to Dutch and German; translating a book is relatively easy. But giving a rock song Dutch or German lyrics is maddening, because in English you have all the useful one-syllable verbs like "have", "give", "love", which have at least two in the translation, messing up the rythm completely. Real Rock-and-roll with Dutch lyrics is extremely hard to achieve.

French is even worse, even opera in French is squaring the circle, because in French, there is this strong accent on the end syllable of each word, and this interferes with the freedom of movement of the melody. So French chanson is a world of its own (very nice world too).

Now Greek... I'm going to be really presumptuous here, I've started it from scratch three months ago, but anyway... I've already noticed four things that make Greek magnificent, delightful, enchanting and ideally suited for singing.

1. Word order is very free, because the case of the noun indicates function, so position is not so fixed.

2. The accent is to be found all over the words  - well not quite I know, but compared to English... So that very complex musical rythms can be matched by the words.

3. The vocabulary is vast, I mean vaaaaaaaaaast.

4. The sound is so liquid and soft and fluid, and at the same time so characteristic, it's a caress to the ear. And it matches the same qualities in Dalaras' voice.

So how on earth do you want to translate a Greek song into English, so that it can be sung? My answer is "don't". A translation should be no more than a crib, a short-cut for those who are not (yet) able to understand the Greek.

And though I appreciate Dalaras singing English - it's a courteous thing to do, learning the Other's language, and he is a courteous man - still I think it not the right sound for his voice. Or German either, or, God forbid!! Dutch. Russian, on the other hand, has a liquidity of its own... that might be good... I'm not at all sure about Arabic!! I can imagine Dalaras finding the music irrestible, but the language is... well... unpronouceable, to put it mildly.

Anyway, he will do as he pleases, and quite right too!!!

This has been an interesting discussion but it seems like a dead end street. No one will be able to convince the other that his/her opinions are the right ones. If you like a certain kind of music, you just do. There is only one thing... This is probably a bit out of place at a Dalaras fan- site but: Must Dalaras be infallible? Don't you think that there are things that he regret having recorded or at least arranged in a certain way?

To call people "narrow minded" just because they don't like everything Dalaras have ever made is a little bit excessive and just not nice.

I am a bit tired to always have to fight against beliefs that artists are like some kind of Gods that just can not be wrong. They really are people. And as such not always at their best.

Andreas, sorry for talking too much.

It's just that I get enthusiastic and carried away.

Also I know it is worthwhile to try and get people to listen with an open mind to music they do not, a priori, think they like. I really know this for sure: if one person had not opened my ears, I would never have * heard*  Dalaras!

Get people to like music by forcing them to listen to it: Yes, good way.

Get people to like music by talking about it:

No, bad way.

:laugh:

I hope I can avoid to repeat my opinions and will try to concentrate on the following aspects:

Geeske's explanation seems to me quite plausible: "Now it often happens that people who have 'adopted' a culture feel more defensive about its authenticity than people who have been born in it." (Only that as far as I know there are fortunately also a number of Greeks regretting the loss of authenticity - even if it may be a minority. :) )

I also agree with Geeske's statement that "Greek music in general IS under fire from The International Market (only my conclusions concerning Dalaras are a little bit different from yours ;).)

The postings by Chris and Sarantis showed me that the crucial point of the matter seems to be the following:

Sarantis writes "Expand your horizons". But why do you (do we) need Dalaras to do this?? If he sings Latin you start to hear (his) Latin, if he sings "Granada" you start to hear (his) "Granada", if he sings (again) Rebetiko you will also start to hear again (his) Rebetiko, etc.etc.

Did you ever listen more intensely (for example) to Latinamerican music before hearing "Latin" by Dalaras? And if you did not - why not? Or did you at least start to listen to hear continously genuine latinamerican music after having the experience with Dalaras' interpretation? I do not think so (but correct me if I am wrong).  

To my mind someone does not "expand his horizons" by visiting a sort of "musical supermarket" (especially if it is always the same supermarket possessed by a certain owner): One year you hear Latin, the next year Pyx Lax, the following a duet with Sting and then perhaps again Rebetiko - only because this is the choice of a certain singer.  

And something else: I am convinced that the fact that a listener "discovers" a certain type of music only because it is presented to him (in a non-authentic way) by Dalaras (of course I do NOT mean "laiko" songs!!) does not proof anything concerning this listener's appreciation for music or his open mind. Why do you need the "filtered" versions of Dalaras instead of searching for the authentic ones?

I will give you an example: I like not only Greek music but also some types of Turkish music (especially "Arabesk" ) and Arabic music. O.K. - I do not know these languages and I have basically no knowledge about this music (rhythms, modes etc.), their composers, singers etc. - BUT:

At least I discovered this music from its authentic sources, by listening to songs for example with Zeki Mueren, Muazzez Ersoy, Bulent Ersoy, Ibrahim Tatlises ... (Turks) or with Oum Koulthoum, Farid el Atrache, Abdel Halim Hafez, Warda ... (Arabs).

I recorded these songs from the radio, I bought some CDs (unfortunately only a few up to now) with these singers etc. And I did not wait until (for example) Dalaras will present a filtered, non-authentic version of such songs. Of course it would be of great interest for me to hear Dalaras for example with a turkish song in typical "arabesk" style (although I fear that this will never happen), but I would never regard this as a way to "appreciate [this] music to it's full extent" (as Chris writes). It would be an attempt (of Dalaras) to APPROACH another type of music - nothing more. I would never say that I expanded my horizons by hearing such a song with Dalaras - I expanded them by hearing the original versions, so as I expanded my horizons by listening to Dalaras' interpretations of genuine Greeek music.

And finally a short statement to soc's question "Why did not George Dalaras disappear like some others (Parios, Dionisiou, Mitsias, Glikeria, Galani etc)?"

I would not say that the artists you mentioned disappeared (if we except Dionysiou who died already a couple of years ago). For example Parios is still quite popular, as far as I know. Nevertheless I have also the impression that these artists have lost popularity. The reason seems to me the same as in the case of some composers I have mentioned in another posting (Spanos, Soukas, Polykandriotis, Mousafiris): They try/tried to remain "authentic" and that is something that is not honoured by the audience today. The taste of audience has changed: Some prefer (lets say) Sfakianakis and Foivos and others Dalaras in cooperation with Pyx Lax or Sting :).          

Very good point, Michael! I totally agree on most points.

I am also a Bob Dylan fan, and I first got in touch with him through different cover version of his songs. When I later turned to "the real thing", almost all songs got a new meaning, because they were performed as he had intended them to be. This is not really a good comparison, I know, since Dylan is more of a songwriter than artist, but still.

If I, who is rather well orientated in Swedish folk music, would hear Dalaras sing some Swedish folk songs, I would be amused and really enjoy the experience, but I would definitely not tell other people that it was an authentic Swedish song. In fact, I would rather say that it wasn't Swedish at all. In the same way, Dalaras doesn't (probably ;)) give the "correct", or "authentic" interpretation of Latin songs. I would suggest to turn to some native, latin artists to get a feel for the Latin music and THEN listen to Dalaras' versions. Then you can compare. And probably vote in favour of the native preformer.

Look here, everybody,  we don't really believe, do we, that Dalaras sing Latin, Italian, etc., to expand *our* musical horizons?

A musician of his stature cannot live on bread alone (meaning the laika) and needs some vitamins and chocolate and fruit to keep life interesting - though he may draw the line at hamburgers :-)).

(I cast the laika as bread on purpose, being the stuff of life to his music).

Now instead of more opinions, may I contribute some experiences?

I have never liked latino music particularly, but the fact that Dalaras obviously enjoyed it (irrespective of the quality of his versions) made me pay closer attention to it. I think highly of his taste music, so if he enjoys it, this suggests to me I might enjoy it too.

Btw, Andreas, please, what would you recommend for a beginner interested in Swedish folk music? I would prefer to start with something reasonnably authentic :-) and would appreciate some advice.

Another experience: the Misa Criolla was already  familiar to me in several versions; than a friend heard me play the Jose Carreras version and said "I've got a better one, listen!" and there was the one and only Dalaras. In my opinion the best voice for the job. Does it matter that he is Greek, if his voice suits the music so well? And the bonus for me was that, knowing the music already, I could listen entirely to the voice.

Finally, another part of the answer to Soc's question, 'why did Dalaras not disappear like these others ' is, I think: because he is a better artist and a greater musician. No shame for anyone in being second to Dalaras :-)

By the way, I have fixed my Greek fonts now, in case anybody was going to write bad things about me that i couldn't read :laugh:.

Michael, Sarantis in NO way meant to be "critical" of you or to characterize you! (But I must state the following).

We just wanted to get the point across to you; that you must keep an "open mind" when listening to something NEW that Dalaras releases. (NOT everything will be to your liking).

You have you "style" of music and we have ours. (That is our rights)! But don't come on here and tell me that the Latin record was a "waste" of time; or that you were disappointed totally with the NEW CD! (As fans, do we have the right,  when disappointed with his CD's...to "gang" up on Dalaras, and beat him to a PULP)?! If I want to be "critical" about any of Dalaras' work...I am the "best" CRITIC! Music has been my profession; for over 25 years. (I am a radio announcer by trade).

You CANNOT also expect Dalaras to release music of your preferences only! Music involves more than just the "laiko" and "rembetiko" tragoudi. (If Dalaras was NOT so veristile in his variety of music...where would he be TODAY)?! He not only would have been a Greek washout but this web site would NEVER have been made as a tribute to him.

I, as a "fan" for over 18 years; have always appreciated the talents of Dalaras fully! Every new CD to me; is apart of Dalaras, himself. (He bring something new into my life and with that I can feel Dalaras' love)! I will NOT as you; limit myself to the different stages of his career. If Dalaras evenually releases an all English CD...I will be there to fully support him. (I am NOT a "fly" by night fan)!

If you prefer the more "traditional" Greek songs of the past (which I also enjoy) maybe Dalaras is NOT the artist for you! (Maybe you should consider Stelios Kazantzidis, as one example...his older music/records)!  

(Edited by Chris Apostolakis at 6:34 pm on July 16, 2001)

(Edited by Chris Apostolakis at 1:03 am on July 17, 2001)

Can somebody explain to me why people in this country I found myself living in (the United States) spend ุ,000 to buy a BMW when the speed limit is in the best case 65mph? Because it is a really nice car and it feels nice when you do 150km/hr AND when you go 50km/hr. A really nice car. You would prefer driving a BMW in downtown Ahtens than a Yugo during traffic, wouldn't you?

Also, can somebody explain to me why people with masters degrees and PhDs never stop doing research and trying to find new areas to study?

Finally, in the year 2001 we find ourselves discussing about George Dalaras in a forum, after these things have happened:

In the early 70s students were throwing their jackets to eachother when he was singing "To sakaki mou ki an stazei" (even if my jacket is dripping!!!) (source: Nikolas Galanis' mother)

In the mid 70s he takes rembetiko out of its grave and its underground environment and brings it in our living room, after singing for the minor Asia refugees whom nobody had thought of.

These were not "laiko" songs at the time. They became laiko.

In the late 70's George Dalaras leaves night clubs where "laiko" music was produced and performed.

He sings political songs. He sings "Paraponemena logia" he sings "Metanasti mathe kati, gallika germanika idia ein' t' afentika ki idia klevoun ton ergati", he sings "Kokkino Triantafillo" etc. Political songs became laika because some people like Dalaras sang them.

He takes the music in the stadium or the theatre. These places become "xoroi laikis diaskedasis".

He sings Latin. People, the latin cd was by definition laiko. The latin part was the "laiko" music of those countries. The greek part was the "laiko" music of the earlier years in Greece. You are telling me that Morakis, Zampetas, Xiotis, Mouzakis, Polimeris were not "laikoi sinthetes" (popular composers). Of course they were.

After Latin every "laikos" singer started using electric acoustic guitar in their songs.

I stop the story here because people get tired with lengthy messages. The point is:

George Dalaras makes "laiko" tragoudi. Laiko means popular. And George Dalaras is the most popular greek musician. Laiko tragoudi is not a term associated with bouzouki, mpaglama i klarino. It is a term related to the people (laos). And as much as we loved the "Fantasia" and "The ocean blue shirt!!!), we loved "Una Moneda le Di" and "Didimotixo Blues" And we made them laika. Because we are the people. And as part of the people I am allowed to say that "i asfaltos pou trexei" was an amazing cd.

Thank you again and I apologize for the length of my message.

PS: Chris we need to talk about Saratoga Springs. Are you going?

Hey guys, are you sitting at the computer all the day? No one has to work?? When I came home tonight it took such a long time to read all the new entries! I hope you will not do every day like this! I don't have this time !! And you know what's happening now? I'm checking all the old Dalaras music I have (of course I have my favourites) But inspired by your comments I hear them again!!

Michael, the cd 'foni patridas' I finally got this year from trehantiri!! A little later I was on Cyprus and I saw it in a musicstore in Lemesos. Sorry, I did know you don't have, otherwise I bought it!!

And to the question about the 'french' in the cd 'Evrexe o kosmos' .It was the 1st impression I had when the cd started, and you know the 1st keeps. 'Avtos o kosmos' is not french at all!!

And to Geeske, she wrote: I do not think musicians should let the demands of fans controle their repertoire.

Yes, yes !! Imagine Dalaras touring in Europe ( after 3 years once again)and asking the audience what they like to hear! He did now, but in the 2nd part after playing some of the new songs, and 90% were screaming: palio!! or is it palia? My problems with the greek language!

Of course I understand a little. These folks listen to Dalaras once in a 3 years time ( I think!) Not like you and me all the time.

I remember the tour beginning 1998. There Dalaras started to introduce the Bregovic music. It was very quiet in the audience! A German couple next to me was more than surprised, not to say disappointed about what they heard. This is our 'Greek Dalaras'??

This year 2001,at the last European tour, the Bregovic music was ( beside the old songs of course) the top act!!

I just put out one of the older cd of Dalaras and put in a newer one. To tell the truth, I like his voice now more, it's darker and more complete now. And I'm one of those who like the ' classic' style very much with the Israel Orchestra and in the moment I listen to Kougiomtzis 'Hymni angeli se rythmous anthropou' . Just marvelous, and to get the music I stop the writing now.

OC,you make a great point.I know that Latin style music became very popular in greece back in the 50's and early 60's for a while.So, dalaras was not the first to do latin style music with greek lyrics..There lots of bands called trio's that did latin style music and it was very popular.In fact listen to a lot of Hiotis music and tell me if there isnt latin influince in it.So, Dlaras revived the latin sound in greece as he did rembetiko years ago.No one else could do this in greece..Listen guys i love music from Bob Dylan to Neil young to heavy metalRock and roll..but when it comes to my greek music.I put my trust in Dalaras.Do i love everything he has ever done?maybe not.But 99.9% yes..The guy is an incredible musician..He plays style that he loves and grew up with..There is no one in Greece who can do "Laika" and "rembetika" better that Dalaras..But for his sake and ours we need more from him than just cookie cutter "Laika " and "rembetika"..The best thing Dalaras ever did was to expand his  music and give us a diverce pool to draw from..I love the works with PIX LAX,the Katsimixas Brothers,Takis Bourmbas and pay close attention to the work of Minos Matsas,he is a new up and comming composer.In fact his few compositions on then CD "Kalos tous" are excellent..What i love about Dalaras the most is that he worked with the Greatest composers of Greece's past(manos Loizos,Stavros Kougiomtzis, apostolos Kaldaras,tstsanis,on and onand on)and has the foresight and vision to discover the new generation of great composers...Give them a chance and lets see if we dont have the next legendary composer of greece among us.We must be open minded and never say that the greatest songs were written yeteryear.We dont know the next great songs may be written tomorrow.So, again be open minded and give things a chance whether its "laiko,rembetiko,latin,etc.."DALARAS WILL NOT STEAR US WRONG"......

soc, as I write this post to you...I am watching the video of Dalaras from Olympic Stadium, 1983! (Boy do I ever MISS Dalaras not having Christos Nikolopoulos (bouzouki) and Leftri Zervas (violin) in his band!

Now, as for the Saratoga Springs, concert...I am still considering it!

(Edited by Chris Apostolakis at 2:13 am on July 17, 2001)

(Edited by Chris Apostolakis at 6:06 am on July 17, 2001)

Sarantis...have you seen in the "new" pictures the NEW guitar that Dalaras is playing?! It looks like a very BEAUTIFUL guitar!! (Do you have this one in your collection)? LOL

Chris. two moments in this concerts are unique (among many others)  1) Ksimeronei kai vradeiazei (in the middle of the first tape) kai 2) Sa svismeno karvounaki (towards the end of the first tape, assuming you have them as they are in Greece)

Chris apostolakis,obviuosly i have noticed the gordious Adamas CVT model guitar Dalaras is playing..As with every guitar Dalaras has ,i have it also...Now for the Olympic stadium two video set my favorite part is when Dalaras and Alexiou do there songs together at the end,i get goose bumps every time i watch that tape.By the way notice Dalarases two ovation guitars(ovation adamas1978 model and ovation 1624-4 country artist 1973 model)...WOW, what incredible sound.Yes, i have those as well in my guitar collection,he,he,he....Now, if i could make mine sound as good as he does.Only in my deams!!!

Chris Apostolakis,you are the blame for this,now im going to watch the Dalaras video.I'll be up all night again...OX PANAGIAMOU!!!

Chris apostolakis,i forgot to mention about your earlier post.Yes Chriso Nikolopoulos is an incredible bouzouki player and close freinds with Dalaras but the bouzouki player that has been playing with Dalaras the last few years ,Manolis Karandinis,is an incredible player.I have watched him closely and his techniuque and sound is amazing.I know Nikolopoulos cannot play with Dalaras all the time because he has his own career...But Dalaras does not lose anything with his newer Bouzouki player...well, gotta get back to the video....

Thank you, Anna! Es ist 5 Uhr morgens und ich moechte mich an dieser Stelle nur herzlich bei Dir fuer die Information betreffend "Foni patridas" bedanken. Ich bin ueberrascht, dass die CD bei "Trehantiri" zu bekommen ist (oder wenigstens: war). Ich konnte sie in den Internet-Listen dieser Firma nie finden (oder habe sie uebersehen). Ich werde bei Trehantiri demnaechst nachfragen. Nochmals vielen Dank fuer Deinen Hinweis.

Sarantis, Tuesday night...it's "Tenta" and "Australia '85" video night!

We should plan a Dalaras video weekend soon and invite all the members here...to your HOME; seeing that you have a bigger Dalaras collection (with your guitars)! LOL

What do you think about that? (My only request is that I get to sit in the chair that Dalaras sat in...while visiting your home! hehehe

"What Dalaras does today, the rest of Greece will be doing tomorrow"

I'm probably misquoting but it's Melina Mercouri who said it and seemingly Soc and Dalarikos agree.

It seems to me the mark of a living musical tradition that it rub takes into itself all sorts of influences. When it can no longer do that, it is dead!  Well, Greek music is alive and kicking hard.

And if the Irish can adopt the bouzouki into their folk tradition, the Greek can be allowed some Spanish guitar... especially when the guitarist is...

Soc, thank you for explaining about the meaningS of "laiko"

It has had me confused for a long time! In English there are the two words:

folk music (meaning music of the people) and pop music (meaning popular music).

They might have been the same, but are not!  

If I get you right, laika means both pop and folk, as long as it is Greek enough (no definition of "Greek enough" please, or we'll have fighting :)  ).