Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Apostolis

T.I.R.

8 posts in this topic

In 1995, in the album "Stin Ellada kanei krio" Dalaras has sang a song. It's name is "TIR". I've seen this sing on the back of some trucks. I assume it's an abbreviation. The lyrics also, talk about a truck driver. Does anyone knows what this "T.I.R" stands for??  :(

In my encyclopedia they say: Transport International Ruenne

It's a sign at the trucks driving in international traffic, to make more easy the custom controll, something like this, not easy for me to translate into English!

Which encyclopedia do you have Anna??

Do you know maybe what does Ruenne mean??  :(

My encyclopedia is the 'Neues Grosses Volkslexikon'!

They don't explain the word 'Ruenne' but there is a German word Rune (oldnordish word) which means: sign or something like this!

Excuse me, but I think there must be misprint in the Volkslexikon. T.I.R is the abbreviation of Trafic International Routier , which is French, but for some historical reason has got adopted as the international sign for International Road Transport (which is what it means).

By the way, the perfect place to look up things like that is the translation database of the European Commission. Easy to use, access completely free, and since they renovated their servers, you no longer have to wait your turn to get in.

Here is the link:

http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/login.jsp

Well, my information from 'Μείζον Ελληνικό Λεξικό" says that it stands for: Transports Internationaux Routiers

Thanks for this tip, Geeske.

:blush: I learnt this term in secondary school which was commercial school, truely, and I even made it, though I have not the first idea of being commercial. So I switched to something very different after that.  :(

Micki

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0