Geske

People who do not know Dalaras

205 posts in this topic

Greek Music can not play as a touristic music.Greek music contains sadness,tears,culture of the microasia,something different things then the other music arts of all around the world. :music: So Greek music is a cry of a nation... :music: And we must give respect to this perceptiveness.Greek music is rebetiko.Don't you think so? :blush: And must have a difference than the songs of a touristic melodies :blink:

Oguz

Well, Oguz, Anna is the greatest Dalaras admirer here, but I am the greatest rebetiko admirer ( :) ), and I can tell you that Greek music is not only rebetiko (what about Hadjidakis, Theodorakis, Dimotika, Byzantine songs, etc...?).

I agree with you that

Greek Music can not play as a touristic music.Greek music contains sadness,tears,culture of the microasia,something different things then the other music arts of all around the world. :pity: So Greek music is a cry of a nation... :pity: And we must give respect to this perceptiveness.

For centuries, Greece was overwhelmed by the barbaric forces of the west and of America who even compeled Turks and Greeks to become enemies although they should have always been friends.

Greek music is the soul of Greece. Unfortunately, foreigners threaten it constantly, shrewdly, painfully, so painfully. Foreigners, and some Greek people too, those whose soul is made of greed, not language, feelings and humanity.

The West is to blame...

A bit Manichean, isn't it? Bah....

I agree whit you François,but i mean that, rebetiko is the soul of the greek music,the roots of other kinds of the greek music.Ofcourse it's not all of the greek music.And don't worry ,i got a good knowledge about the greek music.Ofcourse i know the faithful servents of the greek music.Especially i got a large respect to Mr.Kokotas,Mr.Theodorakis,Ms.Farantouri and the other countlees servants of Greek Voice..Thanks for your concern and sensitivity :blink:

Oguz

But Anna is still right:

the people who have no idea of Greek music, would listen more to the "holiday music" of the land, as Rembetika and any other things. And, what can we do to the people, even friends, who don't know Dalaras and are not so convinced to the Greek music of any kind? The examples were already given here: not so simply!!

Well, I was succesful up till now, everybody who heard him here in Poland with me, was given some songs to hear and did at least not "protest".

But I feel (specially coming to Germany), I can't "convert" my friends from there to listening to Greek music. Is it the fault of commercy and their holiday expectings of an "easy" music? Greek Zorba and Siko xorepse...?

And, as a whole: can WE here help the situation? Frankly, I can't see it so

simply, and, even if I write by this topic the first time, I see, it's becoming longer and longer.

the people who have no idea of Greek music, would listen more to the "holiday music" of the land, as Rembetika and any other things. And, what can we do to the people, even friends, who don't know Dalaras and are not so convinced to the Greek music of any kind? The examples were already given here: not so simply!!

Well, I was succesful up till now, everybody who heard him here in Poland with me, was given some songs to hear and did at least not "protest".

But I feel (specially coming to Germany), I can't "convert" my friends from there to listening to Greek music. Is it the fault of commercy and their holiday expectings of an "easy" music? Greek Zorba and Siko xorepse...?

And, as a whole: can WE here help the situation? Frankly, I can't see it so

simply, and, even if I write by this topic the first time, I see, it's becoming longer and longer.

Olga!!!!!!!!!!!!! the "holiday music" of the land is not rebetika, it's shit! Shit made by "unnatural" people, or even, sometimes, good music highjacked by "unnatural" people just to earn money...............

Just tell the truth to people. Denounce all "unnatural" (my meaning of unnatural is here determined by the context, of course) practice of music in Greece. (*)

It is also the fault of the people who want to stick to an image of Greece that has never existed....

(*)This is the only solution....

Oguz and Pikerni, thanks for your precious remarks, and Pikerni, how good to know that not all Americans are like those who enslaved Greece a few years ago...

Just one more remark: I put Greek, Turkish and Arabic music in the same basket if I may say: they work the same way, exactly the same way. Basically, they are the same music. They have the same dromoi (maqamat), the same instruments, etc... The only thing tha separates them really is the language

You guys make me feel like defending the US against Pikerni, France against Francois, pop music against all comers - and so on.

Cn't you see there's #######s everywhere, beautiful people everywhere... That no country is better than any other.... that which country is bashing which other country, at any given time, is a mere accident of history?

You give the Netherlands, or Greece, or anyone else, the kind of power that the unite-me-states have now, and see: they behave just as badly. All men (anthropoi, not antres) are, after all, created equal.

We are horrendously off-topic, btw.

Francois, mea culpa! It should have been ""more holiday music THAN Rembetika...." It comes from the German "als", the language I use more often and much more better THAN English.

Sorry, once more.

But let me tell, not every song of "holiday music" must be bad, since there are the arrangements of very good Greek music there, "only" in unberable arrangements sometimes.

Pikerni, don't be ashamed for your nation. Not a good feeling. And it's not YOUR fault. A rose is a rose is a rose is a rose.

Greetings!

Olga, don't read only the first lines of my posts about music.... :):blush::pity:

As far as I am concerned, I am terribly ashamed of "my" country, and it is a normal and good feeling here: how can't you feel shame when a newly MP states on TV: "we work for real people..." one example amongst others...

If I were American, I'd refuse to live there!

When you are ashamed of your country, don't forget to be proud of it as well. And vice-versa.

Whenever I'm reminded that the word (and concept) of "apartheid" is one of the most widely-used Dutch word ever, I remind myself that Greepeace too is a Dutch invention. And so on.

Δίκοπο μαχαίρι...

And Francois,

If I were American, I'd refuse to live there!
won't you think again about that one?

The more a country is in trouble, or misbehaving, the more it needs its citizens to be there and take their responsabilities. Instead of "voter avec les pieds" as the Swiss contemptuously call it (vote with the feet: meaning, not even bother to go to vote).

And to tie this digression to the topic, a little: it was Dalaras who woke up my political consciousness from hibernation. And I know I'm not the only one.

When you are ashamed of your country, don't forget to be proud of it as well. And vice-versa.

I've never been proud of any country, Geeske... not even of Greece... not even of "my" country...

Oh, and btw: I'm glad you're not an American, because I wouldn't want you to live here anyway...  Sometimes things you say can really hurt.

Don't take it too seriously Pikerni :)

Criticizing is a national sport in France. No matter the subject, first you have to criticize so that people see how clever you are :pity:

You can believe me, I've been trying to cure myself of this unfortunate tendancy all my life........haven't succeeded yet :blush:

Pikerini.........your grandmother is from,I think you mean Göppingen. It is in the south of Germany,near Stuttgard. Have you ever been in Germany?? Is Pikerini you real name??

I am glad that you agree with me.

Greetings from Germany :):pity: Franz :blush:

Francois, I am so sad for you that you have so much hatred and disgust for the whole world. [...] And I applaud people like George Dalaras who has the backbone to stand by his country, and commit his life to it.

Oh, and btw: I'm glad you're not an American, because I wouldn't want you to live here anyway... Sometimes things you say can really hurt.

You know, Pikerni, it is more digust than hatred... Thanks for refering to Dalaras, our breath of fresh air..., I need it, as our world is...... :):pity::blush:

Music, Maestro, please....

good things and bad things, happens in every country.

Too bad that bad news is SO around, just turn on the tv and you'll see.

I cannot say that I feel Belgian. I'm born here, raised here and still live here. But it's - for me - such an artificial country. Such a different history with bits and pieces through the centuries (try to learn that for history exams in school :) ).

I'm Anne-Mie or Micki (what you like) and of course I do things the "Belgian" way, I've learnt so but my heart is not here (only for a few persons), I feel best in Greece.

Micki

We have this big flood desaster in Germany now. You should see how many people help each other. Our youngest son is there for one week now.He heard about that desaster and he went to the area with his friends from German Red Cross at once.I hope he comes back in good health. That is to love the home country!!! Poor people who don't do that!!

Franz :)

Francois, you Number One of the today discussion,

1.be sure, I read your posts more carefully even as the other ones, you dare know it. Only, if you use more sophisticated wiords, I can't catch the meaning at the first look. Sometimes.

2. etsi kai allios you deserved Pikerni's opinion now;

3. and how good we have this "common medicine", the Greek music, and our Website to discuss, what hurts. Even if it's far from the topic, like the whole 2 last pages here.

For the good night for you, even if you have difficulties in the last time, "Mi moy thimoneis". Apo kardias, Francois. And with the whole friendship and attachment.

Pikerni, to make you more proud of your country: it's there where you have Juilliard School of Music, Boston Symphony Orchestra & Philadelphia one. And jazz.... "What a wonderful world...."

Micki, it's your turn: it's me being terribly proud of the Flemish tapestries we have in our castle collection for 5 centuries, and being terribly proud to show that to the guests, from your country, too. "Artificial" one? what is Poland then in this century? Not more.

But as I was looking to the broadcast with the pope (sorry, Francois) and his final farewell to our country, and they were playing our national hymn, I would ever stand up at the moment.

Franz, all the best thoughts for your son, I agree with you now. Beste Gruesse! UNd viel, viel Ausdauer, fuer Rita doch auch.

SORRY for all these, who can't find the proper topic here any more, an indication: go to the page 15 again.

Olga

Και εγω, και εγω, και εγω.

Και η καρδια μου χορεβει με την ελληνικη μουσικη που ακουω στο ραδιο μου.

Ειναι και μεσανυχτα βαθια.... let it be (1.30!). I knew, as I get the Greek radio, it would be so!!! Now Tsitsanis, two songs before: Ah, helidoni mou.

Poor people, who don't know Dalaras.... And then I get up at 8.00 and I am not even sleepy.

A new topic? Would be good here, I think, Pikerni.What title then?

ouf. You lost me. in a good way. most of you. I got a kick though from the "voting with their feet" post, because i didn't know it came from switzerland and i stll seriously doubt it. i wish i could type properly, because the subject (whatever that is, is very interesting (don't nake another thread, just post your hearts out, who is to say which is the right thread, nobody)). so my contribution for now, is this. i just came back from the movies where i watched "my big fat greek weeding" after refusing to see it for quite sometime.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead