Geske

People who do not know Dalaras

205 posts in this topic

Micki, yes Dalaras has been to my home and we have spent time together..I dont want to "bore" the club with these details as i have written about it in the past postings.If you have or any other members have any questions you can ask me and i will answer them...BTW ,he was in my back yard not me in his back yard..I have not had a chance to visit his home yet in Greece...But when i go to Greece you can bet i will visit him.....We do stay in touch by phone and letters though...

My friends,

this post is meant to tell you the end of the story that I told at the very start of this topic (aug. 31 and sept. 03).

Also it is a warning of the effect great art can have on the human psyche, and on relationships between people.

The incident I told in those posts started a chain of thought in my mind, which led me to realize who many and how important were the things I could not share with this person; to the dreadful experience of falling out of love; and to my leaving him for good, last Tuesday.

I will never say I left him because he did not like Dalaras - but I will say that Dalaras was the catalyst, the one that set me thinking, the one who made things move.

So, be careful.

Same here, Anna, but the % is getting down because every one who knows me, knows Dalaras, at least his name and that he is Greek.

Even if their passion is not like mine, most of them are surprised what Greek music, and especially Dalaras' music, can involve. It still surprises me every day.

Micki

Hello,this christmas-afternoon I had a experience. An uncle came to visite us. We were just looking a Dalaras-video. He sat down and looked a while. Than he said: What a funny man is that? What language is that? Sometimes he sings like a cat!!! :razz:  :D I was so angry, I told him who Dalaras is,and that he is one of greatest singer on earth.Has any other member such an experience?     Franz :D

Well, noone has asked me who that funny man is.... but some (one to be precise) has mentioned that he sings like cat. But he was joking. (or at least I want to believe so).      

Anyway, many of us have similar experiances, as some of the ones we know do not like him at all. And they don't just question his talent but his character as well!!!  :D And it's irritating, because they won't sit down and discuss it with you. They won't listen to what you have to say. Just because they have said something ( that most of them don't really believe it, they are just copying it from someone they heard saying it, or even if  they do believe it, they cannot answer you the simple question "why do you say that?"). They won't even let the songs of Dalaras speak to them.  :D Because I believe that if they would let themselves to their "magic", forgeting who is the one who sings and just focusing in his voice, they would accept him! But they refuse to listen to them!  :D And that's the worse!!! They are so stuborn!!!

I have friends who don't like him at all... And of course relatives... And there's nothing I can do to change their mind... And that makes me sad and angry. However, I'm less sad from the moment I entered this "club".  :razz:

Nicki,thank you for your writing. It is the same I think!! There are only two ways: you like Dalaras or you dont like him.Nothing between. I hope we see us in Athens!! :razz:           Your friends Rita and Franz

Niki, especially people around our age have no idea about Dalaras.

I 've had many fights, even with my relatives, for Dalaras.

Unfortunately People easily believe what they hear...

Most people I meet think that Dalaras is a bad person, some of them think that he has a good voice.

I remember that I had said to Apostolis and Niki "Everyone I meet has a bad opinion for Dalaras. So...who really buys his CDs? How can these great numbers of sales be achieved?"   :D

The answer must be that people who listen to Dalaras don't follow the fashion and the style of the current period. They just follow their hearts... I think we all have our private moments with Dalaras-music. In the music clubs, pubs, bars of course they won't play any songs of Dalaras. Dalaras fans usually are emotional people with a low-profile. That's why you can't easily meet a Dalaras fan. But, as Niki said, that is the Dalaras-club's purpose

:razz:  :D  :D

Well, for many reasons... Mostly because they don't believe that what he has done for Cyprus he has done it because he really feels that way. They think that all he cares about is money. And they claim that behind all his charity concerts etc something else is hidding. Not his sensitivity, but something sniky.

Well, what I believe is that those who say so, have guilts because they are so indifferent and they don't care about what's going on. And they don't like the fact that someone does care! And in order to appease their consiousness they are saying that he doesn't really care, that he pretends to do so and that he is a bad person who wants profit from everything! And the sad thing is that some, because they are not aware, they believe them. And so on... But all this is nonsences! We all know how much he DOES care! And that money is not his goal! He does things because he likes to do so, or because he feels he has to do so.

Some, don't like the fact that he is always having collaborations and that he experiments on different music styles! Can you believe that? There are more reasons.But they don't worth mentioning them.

Anyway, Astron-Franz sorry I interupted...

SPQR's profile says: Kifissia

While reading the posts before, I remembered this year, September, holidays on Samos.

I met 2 German tourists and we made arrangement to go to eat together in the evening. We found a small taverna, next to the see, only little wind, καλοκαιρακι at it's best!

We talked about holidays, Greece, Samos.

'And, what's the reason you come here?' asked one of them.

'I just want to relax some days and on Thursday I'm going to Athens for 4 days, this will be the highlight of my vacations!'

Athens? Big eyes, without understanding, looked at me!

Yes, and I started to talk about the coming Dalaras concert with Emma Shapplin, about the Irodion, about Dalaras, about the voice, the music...

And, Dalaras' magic?, he started to sing: αναψα ολα το φωτα...

(of course this was on the taverna's tape!)

'psh, listen, that's him!'

Asking eyes once again. Ok., the one started, but this kind of soft love songs we have so much, even in Germany!

As I was still listening, I didn't get this answer.

But as the song was over, the other one said: 'But that wasn't Greek music!'

I just wanted to start to explain the musical variety of Dalaras, but I stopped.....

Just remembered other conversations before. Hopeless to argue, the more you talk, the less they listen!

So I only added: this was only one small part of Dalaras.

Anyway, let's change to another theme to talk about.

When we finished the evening and went home, one of these guys said to me: 'But, after all I have to tell you, I envie you a little bit. You found something so special for yourself.

I'm very impressed as I heard and saw, how much you get from your passion for this singer.

All the best to you and enjoy the concert with,...ehm what was the name?'

Anna, ;) is the code for this smiley. If you put it, it will be replaced...unless you uncheck enable emoticons...

Or maybe it is Dalaras magic. Should we look for you tomorrow, on Greek TV? There will be this concert!

Niki, i was reading your post about what other Greeks feel about Dalaras.How many of them criticize him..First i want to thank you for bringing this up,it is a very interesting subject..I think i speak with a little experience having met Dalaras and spent time with him...I want to first speak about them criticizing him about doing benefits and his motives..When Dalaras does a free concert "he" is doing his portion of the concert for free.In other words the money that he would normally get for playing is waived.He plays for free..Now there are other expenses for a concert.There are travel costs,hotel costs,sound equipment costs,his band costs...This ads up to a sum of money that Dalaras and other artist should not have to incur..Dalaras does not make a penny on the show.But these other costs are costs that the venue or theatre has to pick up..This is one of the "wrong criticisms" of him that the "simple minded" greeks  do not understand .Dalaras cannot play for free and pick up the thousands of dollars in cost of the theatre,sound,hotels,etc......This would cost him thousands on top of his free time and labor..........They also criticize him for changing direction of his music.The "simple minded" Greeks would rather hear him play the same old songs and write the same type of songs over and over...Dalaras refuses to do that.He wants to give more things to his fans as well as he has needs to grow as an artist...This is what we Dalaras fans want and expect of Dalaras.If Dalaras had just stayed playing laiko music throughout his career,he may not have been around today...Another reason they crtisize him is that he is a snob.Well, he is not a snob,he just minds his own business and does not want to live in the limelight.he does not go out to discos or bars or live the hard life.He is a simple modest man who just wants to be left alone with his family..This drives some in Greece nuts.They do not have access to him so they call him a snob...I just want to say that whatever the criticism of Dalaras is ,i would not beleave the "simple minded" who claim to know everything about a man whom they have not ever met or spoken to.If they were to sit down and speak with him they would understand that this is a fellow Greek we should all aplaud and be proud of.....I do not understand those who do not like Dalarases music at all.They are the ones i feel sorry for.....They would rather listen to rehashed disco music by Anna Vissi ,Padazis,Adipas and the rest of the garbage music artists.....They just want a loud disco beat to dance to.They dont want to think,they want it simple...Those are the ones who i feel sorry for.They are really missing out !!! We have a national treasure in Dalaras and some are not smart enought to realize it.......These are my opinons..

Also my opinion and I totally agree!

When I was reading this post, all the time I said, yes that's it.

Of course I don't know Dalaras this close, but what I know and how he acts and reacts and what he does and what I see, it's just the same as you described in your post.

Franz, Dalarases music is popular to thousands.Those of us who have chosen to listen to Dalaras and work at listening to music with some higher purpose other than to make us dance..We choose to listen and think about the music and the lyrics..Dalaras music is thinking mans(and womans) music not simple tunes that tickle our ears.....Sure he has done some songs like "me lene popi" ,but even that songs tells a nice story.....He is an artist with music that has depth.

I have tried to listen to the other popular artists and their songs but it leaves me empty and the music is shallow..The beat is what usually atracks people to those songs not the lyrics or the story the song tells....Also, the flashy clothes and the hair style is important so it can distract from the shallow,hollow music...

It kind of reminds me of the organ grinder and his monkey at the town square..As long as the organ grinder is playing the music the monkey is dancing..This is what the people who listen to sfagianakis,anna vissi ,padazis and the rest reminds me of.As long as the organ grinder is playing they are dancing...They dont know what the music or song means(usually nothing)they just dance..........If this is what they want "God bless them",its there life..i want more from music.I want music to move me,make me think....That is why i listen to Dalaras...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead