Geske

People who do not know Dalaras

205 posts in this topic

Yes SPQR, that is my opinion too. So you should not address this sentence to me but to those who regard him as a god and get hysteric about him.

PS:

Aaaa, I saw that in the meantime you added  "and everyone" to my name. O.K. - that's already better  :razz: . But anyway I will not delete this posting of me   :razz: .

Michael, have you thought this through?

My opinion on which people are dangerous - is it diplomatic when applied to others, and intolerant when applied to you?

Also, please note that

a) I have no quarrel with your likes and dislikes within Dalaras work. All of us have bits that are more favorite than others. No problem.

:razz: I have no quarrel with the fact that you do no like the result of some of his experiments. What makes me nervous, is the fact that you think they should not have taken place.

c) I am not reproaching you for wanting Dalaras to do what you want. I'm glad you can't make him, I'm glad no one can make him! This thing called freedom, you know?

Finally. For me, who as nearly as possible got kicked out of high school for atheism (atheism, not heresy or idolatry), being accused of believing in any god whatsoever is both absurd and hilarious.

As for hysteria... ah, that great invention of 19th century, massively block-headed, arrogant, ignorant, dogmatic, male chauvinist pigs who called themselves scientists, but were nothing but power-crazed witch doctors (die grosse Stuecke von sich selbst hielten)... I love abusing dead people :razz:

No, seriously, I know I'm not rational about Dalaras, but between love and hysteria, there is a slight gap.

And, anyway, this has nothing to do the issue that's on my mind: freedom... his, yours, mine, ours. The freedom to experiment, the freedom to succeed, the freedom to fail.

Why are you denying him that?

Geeske, thank you for the clarifications. It is quite possible that I misunderstood something in your posting before because it is written in a very indirect, a little bit mysterious way (like the lyrics by Manos Elevtheriou [whom I adore]  :razz: ) and I fear I read it too quickly. Perhaps, in some central points I even agree with you. (I will have to read your two last statements again carefully.)

So I am sorry for characterizing YOU "religious" and (caused by a bad formulation) "hysteric". :razz: Concerning people like Hristaki (and of course also some others) it is clear that I do not have to revoke anything. And with these people I surely will continue the quarrel in case that they continue their nonsense and their impudent behaviour!

Yeah, I know, I'm a story-teller more than an essayist - I'll try and reformulate my question. It centers on this:

I have no quarrel with the fact that you do no like the result of some of his experiments. What makes me nervous, is the fact that you think they should not have taken place.

I'm rather more polite about it than Hristaki, but I feel no less strongly... What I would like you to ask yourself, is this:

1) Do you really think Dalaras was _wrong_ (artistically, personally, ethically) to undertake these experiments?

2) If so: why?

Because you, Michael, do not like the result?

Because he undertook them with wrong motives, wrong ambitions?

Because of some harm they did?

Because... because... well, ένα μεγάλο γιατί!

Then, if you decide to tell us how answer them, I can think up some more for you :razz:. Or you for me, if you like.

Good and interesting questions, Geeske. But as it is after 4 o' clock in the morning I will answer them at another time (and perhaps by opening a new topic).

There is this Belgian woman. She goes on holidays, to Greece, back than by train (imagine, there was still Yugoslavia).

What did she know? Right, nothing.

I could tell the whole story here, but I won't. (well, maybe just the part where the train got of the rails, now that was funny :razz: , but not here in this topic, you never know who's watching).

Anyway, this woman 'discovered' something there in Greece, undescribable, amazing, till than unknown. And it felt good, so good, like coming home (and paradoxical - :razz: - she had to GO home after her holidays). She became addicted, went to evening school to learn Greek, started to read everything she could find about Greece, tried out every Greek restaurant she could find in Belgium and surroundings, even worked on Crete for one season, and she still is learning. She is passionate, still after all these years. And after the first Greek shot, she never thought that she would feel something like this ever again, at least not so strongly, not with that passion.

And than she heard Dalaras for the first time, at a Greek party, she bought her first CD, and the second and more ... she tried (and so often in vain) to translate and understand what these songs were about. She went to concerts of his. She made new friends because of him. And sometimes, just very sometimes, she tries to imagine what her life would be without that first discovery, her first holiday in Greece and the first time she heard Dalaras. It would be empty, she'd probably find something to do but never something to hold on to. She is far to restless. This is her only passion that she holds on to, without any doubt, without any efford.

Now, THAT is how people can react to Dalaras when they first hear about him. (as the topic was called : People who do not know Dalaras and how they react ...)

And ... she is still learning and discovering, because she still doesn't know ... enough.

Micki

Micki, though for some people it may sound unbelievable: Many parts of your description are similar or even identical with MY experiences!!

And when my "image" here in the Club is another one (a fact I do not mind about at all) that obviously has to with the fact that - different from you - I cannot longer hold on to this passion "WITHOUT ANY DOUBT, WITHOUT ANY EFFORT".

I apologize.

I mispelled efford, or effort or (next one you'll know, Geeske, de dt-foutjes weet je wel) effordt.

Micki

Well, here it is:

Few years ago, there was a kid. She was in a world of her own, lost in her thoughts, pessimistic, angry, torchured by questions that could not be answered and by a rage deep inside... There was no real joy. She was on the edge of many foolish things. Her life was meaningless and empty. And one evening she heard a voice and a song... And her life started to change. Slowly. Very slowly.

Today there is the same kid. Still living in a world of her own, only this world is a bit brighter, still lost in her thoughts and distant to many people, but more optimistic and more calm, still seeking answers and peace of mind... His voice calms her down, fills her with oprimism, inspires her and gives her the strenght to keep moving forward. His songs and his point of view, have made her reconsider things from another aspect. Problems are not solved, but this man without knowing it, without aiming to that, has saved her life. Her life has a meaning, a passion. She finally does something she really likes. Back then she discovered the pleasure of music and she recently started guitar lessons. And her life is still changing.

Think I'm exaggerating? I assure things are even more incredible... And I'm glad we all have been influenced one way or another by him...

Beautiful story you have Niki.

And I hope your world is also a little broader and by that I mean you open up for people and make a friend or two.

It will neutralize the rage, believe me. The woman in my story was a kid once.

Micki

I would like to return this topic to the right road and where it was origianlly intended for.In other words lets end the "stupidity".....I have not responded lately because some of the comments are rediculous and do not even warent a responce.Also, every one is intitled to there opinion ,no matter how ###### the opinion is.......So, having said that here is some things about this topic that i feel are true and these are my opinions...I have followed Greek music and many other types of music closely since i was a young boy.My musical tastes run from Rock and roll(kiss,Aarowsmith,metalica,nervana,dylan,Neil young) to Jazz,to clasical,to latin,to Greek and other foriegn music. example:(India,isreal,lebanon,maracco,etc,etc.)........I have also had the great fortune to get myself involved in Greek music promotions.I did this because of my love for music,not for money,as i have never made any money for doing this.I volunteer..I have seen in detail concerts from a-z,from set up of equipment to soundcheck to final breakdown of equipment,to last light being turned off.I have also had the great fortune to spend time and be with Artists before and after the show..I have been with Dalaras,Parios,Alexiuo,Angelos Dionisiou,Stelis Dionisiou,etc,etc......It is my opinion and many of the musicains i have been around(These are the professional musicians who tour with artists) that Dalaras is musically so far above anyone else in Greece at this time and has been for a long time..I would have to say he is the Micheal Jordan of Greek music at this time.In other words a living legend..He will at the end of his career leave a huge mark in the history of Greek music.The entire scope of his musical legacy will be unsurpassed..He would be in the Greek music hall of fame,if there was one and he would be placed right next to the early greats(Tsitsanis,Thodorakis,Zambetas,etc,etc.).....I am convinced that Dalarases work as a whole is remarkable and more diverse that any other greek musician "EVER"...He risked his career by following his hart.Who else had the nerve to try a latin album and risk it all.Who else decided to change the way people go to see concerts.He brought Greek music to a theater setting instead of the clubs.Again this was contravercial,but he did it.Soon after everyone else decided to do it in theatres as well..He went back and revived rembetiko music with his album of rembetika songs...Ther are many more examples of Dalaras being a pioneer and in the forefront of Greek musical direction..While other artists sat there comfortably doing what they were comfortable doing and not taking any risks so not to jepordize their career..He was putting his career on the line.It takes a lot of self Security to do these things...He risked his carrer many times...But he followed his hart and musical passion and it turned out great!!! He is alegend in greek music.We are looking at a great patriot who we should be proud of !!! I know i am proud of him.He is one of the few Greeks that make me proud..Im sorry to say that but its a fact...These are my opinions

One of my uncles (59 years old - knows nothing else but "fashionable" anglo-saxon sound) happened to try my favourite:

Το Ελληκό πρόσωπο του Γιώργιου Νταλάρα.

I had not even told him he should listen to it.

A few days later, he asked me to copy it for him.

Hi Micki

Fantastic story.

Can you recall

what song or group of songs

you first heard from Dalaras when you

attented your 1st Greek Party?

Christo

:mad:

Giasou Niki

I really loved your story

on you how you discovered the true beauty and music of Dalaras.

So sensitive in the emotions but also so full of Pathos in Zoi!

Niki,

I'm curious

can you remember what first song it was that you heard by Dalaras voice that made you want to inquire further into his music?

And glad to hear he was able to bring happiness and joy in your life as he did for me and many others in here.

btw, how are the guitar lessons coming along?

:mad:

Christo

Christo... :mad:

First song I heard was Enas kombos i xara mou, the version from the CD with Pyx Lax. I remember the feeling as if it was yesterday...

Got hooked by the voice. And the lyricks and the music as well... As I was becoming more familiar with his work, I realised that there is a sence of peace coming from music. It can travel you away. Each song, the lyricks, the music, the voice, the final combination is a magical journey. It can be a magical journey if you open your ears, your mind and your heart. Music IS passion! It's a way of life! It's about expressing yourself in your own terms!

I don't think I can define one song that made me want to learn and  play music. I suppose it's the fact that when you discover something (I wasn't listening to music up to that point) and realise  how much you like it, you certainly want to find out what it really is and how it works. Listening is great, but for me, that I never had any real interest, music is the one thing that I'm becoming really passionate about it. I'm not sure I can explain why. It just happens sometimes, that you become addicted to something. Music provides you with a sence of pease, tranquility, with pleasure and joy, with a way out, even with a different way of dealing with situations.

Besides all that, just few months after my first "meeting" with Dalaras, I bought the musical box. And that's from where I found out who he is and how great he is. These Cds have kept me company for so long that it's rather difficult to choose one and say this is the reason I'm starting to learn music.

However, I know that the Latin CD and mostly the CD "To elliniko prosopo tou Giorgou Dalara (even though I bought the second after I had started guitar lessons) have contribute a lot to my love for music...

Guitar lessons? They are going fine... Exersises, exersises, and harmony (It's amazingly interesting!!! :mad: one of my favourites!!! :cool: ) and more exersises... In fact I have lesson in about 1 hour or so... Therefore I'd better go and study little more... :mad:

At Greek parties here they always have a small orchestra, so if there are songs from Dalaras, it is not his voice.

So the first time I heard Dalaras' voice was from the first CD I bought.

And though at every concert in Belgium you see many Greeks that live in Belgium (and always one German lady), I never met one who is just as fond of his music, voice, etc... as I am. Look at it, I guess I'm the only Belgium habitant on line here.

Micki

this girl said: 'hey, that's greek! ow, I love greek music! who is it? what a voice!'

People who listen to Greek music* for the first time are always amazed at the voices of the singers, I have noticed that many times. I don't think this is only typical of GD. It is because good Greek music is really music, not western ballad or easy modern you know what I mean... and because the interpreters have to give more of themselves than in western music. Greek, or Eastern music in general, is etremely demanding.

*You know, of course, what I mean by "Greek music"

[People who listen to Greek music* for the first time are always amazed at the voices of the singers, I have noticed that many times

I think you're talking about Nongreeks!

So, mainly most of these people listen to Greek music for the first time when they are on holidays in Greece.

And to my opinion and experience, it's the 'strange' in the music, the 'unknown instruments like the bouzouki and of course the different rhythm which amazes and fascinates them.

Ask these tourists, when they are back home, if it was a male or a female voice singing the song, to which they danced 'sirtaki' all the evenings....... they can't tell you!

Anna, of course I am talking about non-Greeks :blink: , but not about those who go to Greece for sea, sun, sirtaki and whatever else. Those people belong to the commercial circle. I am talking about the "other" non-Greeks of course, those who respect people and what they are. They will have remembered, they will have asked, they will know something, at least.

... and because the interpreters have to give more of themselves than in western music....in general...

I disagree.

I don't know, but I feel that it depends on the interpreter, not on the music or the place where it comes from.

Greek Music can not play as a touristic music.Greek music contains sadness,tears,culture of the microasia,something different things then the other music arts of all around the world. :) So Greek music is a cry of a nation... :music: And we must give respect to this perceptiveness.Greek music is rebetiko.Don't you think so? :music: And must have a difference than the songs of a touristic melodies :blink:

Oguz

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead