Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

my ceid...

17 posts in this topic

"porta" is the MODERN Greek, coming from Italian. A more Greek word would be "pili" (thermopiles) or thyra (thyroros)... Sorry for writing those words in the Latin alphabet.

As far as I know, the term "portal site" is used for a site which lets other sites open "inside it" - that is, when you click the links on the site, you don't leave the portal site, it acts like a door-frame that you look through into other places (pages from the same site, or different sites).

I'm not sure very reliable on this and not very clear either, but Nikolas will correct me if I'm wrong :D

Of course there might be several explanations, however I think portal in terms of the web is not far from whar portal really means. Portal means gateway, in greek it is πύλη. And a portal website is exactly that. An entrance to something. That something is expected to be a specific subject or area of topics, for example mobile phones or academic and related matters regarding students of the Computer Engineering and Informatics Department :cool: . So, a portal website works like an extensive reference to a specific field that it is related to.

For example, our portal, http://my.ceid.upatras.gr, is a place for all department announcements, a place for every CEID student to discuss academic issues, to online check all his marks in all the lessons, to automatically calculate his average until now, to select options for semesters, to read email directly via the web and loads of other stuff that I am afraid are accessible only to CEID students...  :)

Portal means gateway, in greek it is πύλη. And a portal website is exactly that. An entrance to something. That something is expected to be a specific subject or area of topics, for example mobile phones or academic and related matters regarding students of the Computer Engineering and Informatics Department :cool: . So, a portal website works like an extensive reference to a specific field that it is related to.

So, my school web site is a sort of portal, because if you click on the top left picture, you can reach most academic and related matters regarding students and teachers.

Thanks for the very clear explanations, Nikolas! :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0