Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
francois

Στέλιος Καζαντζίδης

25 posts in this topic

ΔΙΚΤΥΟ

Νύχτα γεμάτη Στέλιο  

Π.Γ.  (Panos Geramanis)

Η νύχτα ήταν μεγάλη, σε διάρκεια αλλά και σε ψυχική ευφορία. Με τη σκέψη στον Στέλιο Καζαντζίδη, ένας απλός τραγουδιστής που τραγουδά πάνω από 25 χρόνια επιλεγμένο ρεπερτόριο του αξέχαστου βάρδου, ο Γιώργος Στάσης, παρουσίασε ένα cd με έξι τραγούδια του με χρώμα και ύφος λαϊκό. Κόσμος πολύς, πάνω από 250 άτομα πέρασαν μια όμορφη νύχτα στον «Ζορμπά» της Δροσιάς (παλιό στέκι φίλων του λαϊκού τραγουδιού) όπου τραγούδησαν, χόρεψαν ζεϊμπέκικα και χειροκρότησαν τον Γιώργο Στάση και τους μουσικούς που έπαιξαν τα τραγούδια σε χαμηλούς τόνους. Δημιουργός των τραγουδιών που ακούστηκαν, ο Γιώργος Αιγύπτιος, παλιός λαϊκός τραγουδιστής της περιόδου του 1960. Στο τέλος της εκδήλωσης ο Γιώργος Στάσης τραγούδησε τις «Αλλοτινές μου εποχές», που είχε ερμηνεύσει ο Καζαντζίδης.

ΤΑ ΝΕΑ , 23-03-2002  , Σελ.: P24  

Κωδικός άρθρου: A17297P244

A very nice article from the Guardian about Stelios Kazantzidis:

Stelios Kazantzidis

Singer who articulated the pain of the Greek diaspora

Constantine Buhayer

Guardian

Tuesday September 18, 2001

From the days of Homer's Ulysses to the contemporary songs of Stelios Kazantzidis, who has died of cancer aged 70, Greeks have turned the pain of exile and migration into art as a means of coming to terms with it. Kazantzidis was considered a lone rider in the rich tapestry of Greek music. Though he loved the rebellious rembetika musical tradition, he created his own popular style. He considered western music to be rootless.

His achievement was to express, singlehandedly, the undiluted social and emotional upheaval that Greeks went though after the second world war and the ensuing civil war. Nearly a million left as migrant workers between 1950 and 1975 - mostly for Australia, Germany and north America - a malevolent fate collectively known as the xerizoma, or uprooting.

A key component of Kazantzidis's voice for communicating the pain of separation and betrayal was his articulation of the vowel "a". This was not the playful, high-pitched "aa!" sound one hears in operas, and intended to display vocal virtuosity. Instead, it came out as a sonorous, almost childlike expression of hurt, deep from within the soul.

Countless Greek DJs, at Greek weddings or festivals from Toronto to Melbourne, can vouch that, as soon as a Stelios track comes on, cigarettes light up to the accompaniment of lengthy sighs about the patrida, the homeland.

Kazantzidis was born in Nea Ionia, one of the refugee neighborhoods that sprang up in Athens after the destruction of the ancient Greek homelands of Anatolia with the end of the Ottoman empire and the birth of Ataturk's Turkey in the 1920s. From his mother and his grandmother, he learnt many songs about xenitia - the life of uprooted Greeks in foreign lands - and how to inject klama (crying) into the voice. During the Nazi occupation, his family fled to a village in northern Greece, where he developed a lifelong respect for animals and farming and, gradually, a hatred for the state, "thieving" bankers and record producers.

In 1947, his father died from the beatings he received during and after the war as a communist. Young Stelios provided for his mother and younger brother by selling cigarettes around central Athens. Eventually, he started earning his living by singing in tavernas.

During national service, he met his first great love, who we know only through the pseudonym "Kate Gray". She was an older brunette who liked to peel his olives, cooked for him, and taught him about love. As a soldier, Stelios was persecuted by his rightwing officers. In those days, the bouzouki , an instrument of the urban classes, was considered more dangerous than a Molotov cocktail. He was exiled for a while on the island of Macronisos and tortured.

In the 1950s, he began working with rembetika giants like Manolis Hiotis and Vasilis Tsitsanis, as well as Mikis Theodorakis - Kazantzidis turned many of their compositions into enduring hits. His first big successes as a singer and composer were Society You Condemn Me, followed by I Want To Die. Between 1957 and 1965, he established his unique style.

Meanwhile, the flood of Greek emigrants carried his voice and his songs of separation around the world, and their children, born in the xenitia grew up under the influence of that voice. In Latin America, Greek immigrants made Kazantzidis so famous that he was named gardeliakis, an honorary title likening his name with the king of the tango, the Argentinian Carlos Gardel.

After separating from "Gray", in 1955 he met the singer Marinella, then the talented teenage daughter of Greek refugees from Istanbul. They fell in love, and he launched her career. She often protected him from the violence that came with the busi ness. Eventually, they married, but divorced amicably in 1965.

During the years of the colonels' junta (1967-74), Kazantzidis was singled out by the regime for punishing taxation. Locked into an unhappy record deal, he made no recordings between 1975-87, although he remained a star, especially in the Greek diaspora. He made a resounding comeback in the 1990s as scores of Pontic and Caucasus Greeks fled the former Soviet Union - a movement that inspired him to record a series of songs from his ancestral land, the Pontos, now in northeastern Turkey. However, he respected Turkish musical traditions and even sang in that language rather than his native Greek.

Kazantzidis's style can seem painful to the senses but, with his gentle manliness and scorn for luxury, he gave dignity to the lives of millions of Greeks during one of the most difficult times of their history. He is survived by his wife, Vasso Kolovou-Katsarou, whom he married in 1982.

Stelios Kazantzidis, singer, born August 29 1931; died September 14 2001

...However, he respected Turkish musical traditions and even sang in that language rather than his native Greek...

Did I get it right?Kazantzidis sang some songs in Turkish??? :)

I have many albums of Kazantzidis but in none of these he sings in Turkish :D (maybe that's because I don't have his late albums :) )

I know that during the 70s and early 80s he was very well known in Turkey and he even made some albums (mostly 45 rpms) only to be released in Turkey :rolleyes: But I have never heard him singing Turkish songs.

I'd be very happy to hear an album name in which he sings Turkish songs :razz: Francois,do you know any?

S Gursu

:):rolleyes::razz::)

All these songs are very famous ones.And Kazantzidis sings them :) It must be a very interesting album.

It says that the album was released in 1995.This explains why I haven't heard about it before because I mostly have his old records :D

Btw however the article,you posted,says that he sang songs from northeastern Turkey most of the songs in this CD are not from that region,only some are :)

Anyway, thank you very much for the link,Francois :music:

S Gursu

It says that the album was released in 1995.This explains why I haven't heard about it before because I mostly have his old records :D

Well, the CD was released in 1995, but the LP was made in 1978, 79 or 80... All the songs are very famous in Greek too!

As for the other songs (North East), they were recorded recently, and I have only downloaded a few of them from the internet.

Btw, I have to order the above CD, as I have put it on my wish list...

I like Kazantzidis VERY VERY much... :):rolleyes::razz:

Την Παρασκευή 14 Σεπτεμβρίου και ώρα 11:00 π.μ. το ελληνικό τραγούδι έχασε έναν από τους μεγαλύτερους λαϊκούς βάρδους του, τον Στέλιο Καζαντζίδη.

Γεννημένος στις 29 Αυγούστου του 1931 στην Νέα Ιωνία, ο μεγάλος Έλληνας καλλιτέχνης σημάδεψε με την παρουσία του το λαϊκό τραγούδι, παλεύοντας διαρκώς και υπερνικώντας όλες τις δυσκολίες της προσωπικής και επαγγελματικής του ζωής. Όχι όμως και την τελευταία.

Μετά από σκληρή μάχη με την επάρατη νόσο, ο "Στελάρας ο Θεός" όπως συνήθιζαν να τον αποκαλούν οι φίλοι και οι θαυμαστές του, άφησε την τελευταία του πνοή, στο Ιατρικό Κέντρο Αθηνών.

You must visit this site!!!!

http://www.ert.gr/afieromata/kazantzidis/

It also has a full discografy. It includes the names of all the songs he has sang!

Συγκίνηση και τραγούδια στο μνημόσυνο του Καζαντζίδη

Με το τραγούδι «Όλα είναι ένα ψέμα, μια ανάσα μια πνοή» που τραγούδησαν, με δάκρυα στα μάτια, περισσότερα από 1.500 άτομα, τελείωσε το τρισάγιο στον τάφο του Στέλιου Καζαντζίδη στο νεκροταφείο της Ελευσίνας. Λίγο πριν, στη Μητρόπολη του Αγίου Γεωργίου της ίδιας πόλης έγινε επιμνημόσυνη δέηση για τη συμπλήρωση ενός χρόνου από τον θάνατο του μεγάλου λαϊκού τραγουδιστή. Εκτός από τη σύζυγό του Βάσω και άλλους συγγενείς και φίλους του, παρόντες ήταν η Μαρινέλλα, αλλά και οι Πόλυ Πάνου, Τάκης Σούκας, Κώστας Καράλης, Θέμης Αδαμαντίδης, ’ννα Μπιθικώτση και ο μουσικός Μέμος Κυριαζής, παλιός συνεργάτης του Καζαντζίδη. Παραβρέθηκαν επίσης τα μέλη των συλλόγων φίλων Καζαντζίδη από την Καβάλα, την Ελασσόνα, την Καλαμάτα και την Ημαθία, ενώ πάνω από 200 άτομα είχαν έλθει για το μνημόσυνο από διάφορες περιοχές της χώρας, πολλοί από τους οποίους πήγαν πεζή από τη Μητρόπολη στο νεκροταφείο Ελευσίνας που είναι σε απόσταση 3,5 χιλιομέτρων.

ΤΑ ΝΕΑ , 16-09-2002 , Σελ.: P24

Κωδικός άρθρου: A17440P242

The CD Francois mentioned and gave the link for is originally from 1980. It was: 70745 & 834461 REGAL

The CD is from 1995 and has the same number as you can see on next picture of the Back Cover.

post-6-1032864069.jpg

Reason why this post and Francois post immediatly draw my attention was that IMITLERIM is at this CD. And we all know how fabulous Dalaras sings it at "Ksarxakos synnaylia sto Pallas" (that's the CD with Dimitra Galanh)

post-6-1032864241.jpg

Finally the Front cover.

One of the songs of Kazantzidhs that is burnt in my head is:

"Siko xorepse koukli mou"

which is from the days that I went to Greece for the first time in my live. . Especially the Taksim of that song I like.

post-6-1032864391.jpg

:huh:

To Francois,

Ena Meyalo Ef'haristo

for the biography on Kazantzidhs

I too was a big fan of him too while I was in my teens and I still am today 13 yrs or so later.

There were so many things I didn't know of him and now it sheds or reveals a new light about the man and from his works as to why and how he chose when to sing and so forth,

To Odyseus,

Is there any chance that Greek City or Greek Music USA

carries this CD?

I'm getting more interested now in hearing that cd you posted of

Kazantzidhis singing in Turkish?

:(

«ΛΑΪΚΟ ΤΡΑΓΟΥΔΙ»

Καλή αρχή με Στέλιο

Ένα νέο περιοδικό που μακάρι να στεργιώσει για να μάθουμε περισσότερα για την ιστορία, τα πρόσωπα, το προσκήνιο και το παρασκήνιο ενός χώρου που μέσα του ταξιδεύουμε επί δεκαετίες: τον χώρο του λαϊκού τραγουδιού

ΚΩΣΤΑΣ ΡΕΣΒΑΝΗΣ

«ΤΑ ΝΕΑ» επιλέγουν κάθε Δευτέρα θέματα από περιοδικές εκδόσεις ποικίλου ενδιαφέροντος

Καλοδεχούμενο το νέο περιοδικό και να είναι καλοτάξιδο. Είμαι βέβαιος πως αν στεργιώσει θα μάθουμε περισσότερα για το προσκήνιο, το παρασκήνιο, την ιστορία και τα πρόσωπα ενός χώρου γοητευτικού, που τον περπατάμε και τον απολαμβάνουμε πολλές δεκαετίες: Τον χώρο του λαϊκού τραγουδιού. Να το πω από την αρχή: Μπορεί σε πολλά απ' όσα γράφονται ή θα γραφτούν να διαφωνήσει κάποιος, αλλά τουλάχιστον θα έχει τη βεβαιότητα ότι δεν γράφονται από συμφέρον - κάθε είδους. Και αυτό γιατί ο υπεύθυνος του περιοδικού Γιώργος Κοντογιάννης έρχεται από τα παλιά με γνώση, μεράκι και ανιδιοτέλεια. Δεν μπορεί ν' αλλάξει στα... γεράματα.

Στη θεματογραφία: Θα διαβάσετε πολλές ειδήσεις από τον χώρο του λαϊκού τραγουδιού και όχι μόνο, σχόλια, άρθρα (Μανώλης Ρασούλης, Μανόλης Σαββίδης, Βασίλης Ρώτας, Αμβρόσιος Σανταμούρης), μια ενδιαφέρουσα συζήτηση για το λαϊκό τραγούδι σήμερα και άλλα πολλά. Αφιέρωμα του τεύχους: «Στέλιος Καζαντζίδης».

Πλούσιο φωτογραφικό υλικό, ένα θαυμάσιο κείμενο και πολλά δισκοβιογραφικά στοιχεία από την πορεία του μεγάλου λαϊκού τραγουδιστή, που καταγράφει ο ερευνητής του λαϊκού τραγουδιού Βαγγέλης Αρναουτάκης. Ακόμα: Μνήμες ανθρώπων που τον γνώρισαν ή τον αγάπησαν, επιλογή LΡ και CD για μια «βασική δισκοθήκη Καζαντζίδη» κ.λπ.

Διαβάζοντας ένα άλλο θέμα, πέφτω πάλι... εμμέσως στον Καζαντζίδη. Είναι το μικρό αλλά μεστό κείμενο του ’ρη Νικολαΐδη για τον Γιάννη Παπαϊωάννου. Τον, κατά την ταπεινή μου γνώμη, γνησιότερο ρεμπέτη (τον θυμάμαι σαν τώρα να δίνει στη ζούλα κέρματα σε κάτι Αγιάννηδες, στις Τζιτζιφιές). Η αφήγηση του Νικολαΐδη: «Τέλη δεκαετίας του '50 και ο Καζαντζίδης, περιζήτητος πια, τραγουδά στην "Τριάνα" του Χειλά.

Ο Παπαϊωάννου έχει γυρίσει από την Αμερική και δουλεύει κι αυτός εκεί, κάνοντας καμιά ώρα δικό του πρόγραμμα. Το μαγαζί δουλεύει συνέχεια γεμάτο, αλλά τα υπόλοιπα μαγαζιά έχουν πρόβλημα, αφού ο Καζαντζίδης τούς έχει πάρει όλη την πελατεία. Έτσι, μαζεύονται μια ομάδα μαγαζάτορες (όλοι "νονοί" της νύχτας) με τους μπράβους τους, ανάμεσά τους αρκετοί γνωστοί φονιάδες, πάνε στην "Τριάνα" και ζητούν απ' τον Χειλά να "κατεβάσει" τον Καζαντζίδη. Ο Χειλάς αρνείται και προμηνύεται κανονικό μακελειό.

Την τελευταία στιγμή κι αφού όλοι είναι με τα κουμπούρια στα χέρια, σηκώνεται ο Παπαϊωάννου και τους λέει:

"... Θα πρέπει να φάτε κι εμένα, γιατί εδώ βγάζω μεροκάματο".

Βλέποντας τον Παπαϊωάννου, οι μπράβοι τα μάζεψαν κι έφυγαν!».

TA NEA, 21-10-2002.

ΔΙΚΤΥΟ

Νύχτα γεμάτη Στέλιο  

Π.Γ.  (Panos Geramanis)

Η νύχτα ήταν μεγάλη, σε διάρκεια αλλά και σε ψυχική ευφορία. Με τη σκέψη στον Στέλιο Καζαντζίδη, ένας απλός τραγουδιστής που τραγουδά πάνω από 25 χρόνια επιλεγμένο ρεπερτόριο του αξέχαστου βάρδου, ο Γιώργος Στάσης, παρουσίασε ένα cd με έξι τραγούδια του με χρώμα και ύφος λαϊκό. Κόσμος πολύς, πάνω από 250 άτομα πέρασαν μια όμορφη νύχτα στον «Ζορμπά» της Δροσιάς (παλιό στέκι φίλων του λαϊκού τραγουδιού) όπου τραγούδησαν, χόρεψαν ζεϊμπέκικα και χειροκρότησαν τον Γιώργο Στάση και τους μουσικούς που έπαιξαν τα τραγούδια σε χαμηλούς τόνους. Δημιουργός των τραγουδιών που ακούστηκαν, ο Γιώργος Αιγύπτιος, παλιός λαϊκός τραγουδιστής της περιόδου του 1960. Στο τέλος της εκδήλωσης ο Γιώργος Στάσης τραγούδησε τις «Αλλοτινές μου εποχές», που είχε ερμηνεύσει ο Καζαντζίδης.

ΤΑ ΝΕΑ , 23-03-2002  , Σελ.: P24  

Κωδικός άρθρου: A17297P244

thx

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0