Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael

The speaking voice of Dalaras

46 posts in this topic

I can only judge from CDs and videos (and not from personal conversations) but my impression was exactly the same as that of Dalarikos concerning Dalaras' speaking voice: "... that Dalarases speaking voice is very scratcy and sometimes froggy or horse. But when he gets on stage in front of the microphone it is amazing what an incredible voice he has." Exactly! One of the most characteristic examples: the CD "To elliniko prosopo tou Giorgou Dalara". Dalaras' speaking voice before and after singing the first song: "scratchy", "hoarse", sometimes almost broken. And "between" (singing the first piece "Eksedysan me ta imatia mou" ) you hear an absolutely fantastic and wonderful voice. It is an amazing phenomenon!

As we started to discuss about this matter I would like to mention also the following (although it is not concerning directly the speaking voice):

The song "Me tis kardias ton chtypo" (on the CD "I asfaltos pou trexei" ) has an "a cappella" introduction (Dalaras' voice about 45 seconds completely without instruments). I am no expert for singing or voices but for me it seems so obvious:

There is a little - unintended - trembling in his voice, the voice is a little bit "scratchy" (something like that) and the most striking: Where he sings (for the first time) the words "sto potami" his voice is already breaking. (Similar [though not so intense] again with the words "na vriskei empodio".)

Is this impression of me correct? And if yes: Is there an explanation why Dalaras did not decide to sing and record this part again?

No, Chris, I do not know this video you mentioned. Maybe when I say "videos" it is a little bit exaggerated: I have the 2 videos about Dalaras' concerts in the Olympic Stadion in Athens (1983 or 1984 I think) and two or three reports/portraits about Dalaras which were presented (a couple of times ago) from some German TV stations.

Michael, I've lost count of the times I've listened to those first words on "To Elliniko prosopo"

I'm now getting to the point where I can actually guess WHAT he is talking about ;)

I'm not sure about scratchy or hoarse... I think it sound very very human and a little shy. And extremely moving.

About "Me tis kardias ton chtypo":

I do not know why he did not re-record it, but I know why I'm glad he did not. It's beautiful this way. It's what makes it one my favourites on the album.

And this little 'catch' in the voice is just about the only thing you can't do on purpose.

By the way, it is absolutely true that his singing voice has grown over the years.

I've got this compilation "the ultimate collection" which has (some of) his best songs in chronological order and (mostly) in the first version and it opens with "Kapou nychtoni" recorded in '70 and you can quite distinctly hear him catching his breath between the verses. He sure doesn't need to do that now :)

Also his range has expanded a great deal in the lower part - very noticeable on the Bregovic album but also on the newest one.

Most pop and folk singers are not all that much concerned with singing technique - I think in that respect Dalaras has more in common with classical artists, opera and so on - only his voice is utterly natural and human, as opera voices are not.

Michael

The only thing I didn't care for the acappelo interpretation on the song you mentioned from the new cd is that there appears to be no type of vocal effect if any. And by that I mean Reverberation on the voice. If you play a musical intrument or sing with a group you know what I'm talking about. It's something to give to the singer so his voice doesn't come out dry and dead like the recordings from the 40's- 50's.

If you recall the recording to the lovely ballad 'Vammena Kokkina Mallia', you will notice how much deep, clear & clean, digital reverb was added to Dalaras voice to make it sound rich, smooth, full & luscious.

Undenialbley, there is not that much reverb at all on this recording with the Acapello part, its probably been added into the rest of the song at best when the whole entire orchestration comes in.  

As to why it was chosen to be recorded in this format I don't know.  I really preferred the other standard from 'Vammena Kokinna Mallia', but then perhaps that was a bit too much effect on the voice

for that style of song.

Christo, thank you for these technical explanations. Obviously technology plays an important role concerning the recording of music. Of course your information makes me now a little bit unsafe about how Dalaras' voice "really" sounds, I mean: how it sounds without these technical modifications you mentioned.

For example the record of the concert on the CD "To elliniko prosopo": According to your experience and knowledge - is here Dalaras' voice quite "authentic" / "near to its natural sound"? (I always had this impression but maybe that I am wrong.)

Concerning "Vammena kokkina mallia": I always (with every listening) had the impression that something on this CD (all the CD, not only the specific song) is different with Dalaras' voice. For example in some songs (especially "Amartoli" ) the voice was a little bit distant, more far away than usually (I don't know how to describe it). At the beginning I even had the suspicion that something is not o.k. with the CD.(!) Obviously it has to do with what you were telling us about this record.

"... that Dalarases speaking voice is very scratcy and sometimes froggy or horse. But when he gets on stage in front of the microphone it is amazing what an incredible voice he has." Exactly! One of the most characteristic examples: the CD "To elliniko prosopo tou Giorgou Dalara". Dalaras' speaking voice before and after singing the first song: "scratchy", "hoarse", sometimes almost broken.

The fact is that Dalaras' voice is not a very nice one. It is what he has done with it that is quite extraordinary, wonderful!

The same applies for many great singers: Maria Callas for example, or Oum Kalthoum (whom I think is the greatest singer of all times). Many singers have a far more beautiful voice, but are not good singers at all!

What is important about these singers is not their voice, but what they have done with it, how they have done it, and Dalaras struggle for high quality should be shown as one of the best examples of what art is.

;)

What is your definition of a beautiful voice Francois?

For me : Dalaras' voice.. (singing or speaking)......and Callas and many others !

The fact is that the speaking voice of singers is often quite different from their singing voice. :D

Dalaras struggle for high quality should be shown as one of the best examples of what art is.

Sorry, Francois, but that makes no sense at all to me.

And since I have now (a very little) personal experience to speak from: Dalaras' speaking voice is...

sorry.

failure.

What I feel about Dalaras' voice is not expressible in words - not in printable words anyway.

When I listen to his voice when he talks I really relax. Even if I don't pay attention to what he is saying, I just relax and feel very comfortable. I think his voice is very beautiful for narrating. Take for example "Pou na sai tora Anna"

don't you love the way he speaks?

Dalaras struggle for high quality should be shown as one of the best examples of what art is.

Sorry, Francois, but that makes no sense at all to me.

Why doesn't it make sense to you, Geeske?

To me, his voice is very soft , not loud and heavy like Greek men usually have (just listen to the interviewers!).

Another reason that generally the singers' speaking voice is very soft and not very loud is the fact that they have to protect their voice in order to be in good condition when the sing,,,, So they use to speak in low tunes and in low volume ..! :music:

Christo, I think that what makes Dalaras talk that way is his noble character and personality and not his need to protect his voice...

Another reason that generally the singers' speaking voice is very soft and not very loud is the fact that they have to protect their voice in order to be in good condition when the sing,,,, So they use to speak in low tunes and in low volume ..! :)

Yes, I have heard Farantouri speaking about the way she protects her voice, and what you say is very true, Christos.

I also heard Maria Callas in an interview on television, in which she stated that she also protected her voice from external influences that might affect it badly before a concert or a recording (the psychological side of our issue...)

Of course, Pavlo, you are right to say that GD's noble character influences his speaking voice, but we have to admit that as a singer, he has to take care of his voice the way Christos has explained, too. :)

Christos is right, but I like the words of Astron, too. Even more, sorry, Christo! The whispering of "Kane kouragio, Anna" is sooo unique. Do we have anything similar in the rest of GD's collection? I don't remember now. And I like whispering voices. Remember Giannis Fertis from "Ferte moy nero"? Xaris Alexiou in "Agapao kai adiaforo"?

Melissa, I have to admit, when I was hearing to the interview in the "Flash radio", I have not even recognized so quickly it is him, who is speaking! And I did not understand so many things :music: .

As for this voice accompanying my life for so long years, this is making me still a bit sad. Well. I had known "only" the voice, not the meaning of the words... This is why I know, what Geske means. The voice IS simply here (without any adjective good enough to describe it). And me, lucky girl, was already able to sing along all songs now in the concerts I visited....

Francois, can you tell us once more, what song Kyrios Giorgos was singing on your acoustic scheme in another part of the forum? Or you didn't know this any more?

Asteri mou, fengari mou?

:wow::music:

Asteri mou, fengari mou?

Olga, I wouldn't have made an acoustic scheme of GD' voice singing this song, but of Mercouri's or Alexiou... :wow::music::music:

It was not me, it was Apostoli, and I must have protested at once, because as I saw Kyrios Giorgos personally by three of his concert, I was completely surprised and I could have thought, that is not him, but his younger brother. The same say me friends, who see the last photos of Giorgos Dalaras and ask, how old he might be.

So, coming so far to the future, when GD (and we, too) is getting old... sorry, my imagination is too small for that.

Asteri mou, fengari mou, Francois? Well, I was laughing (and how!!!) these moments, but - I wouldn't mind, if. Can I then dedicate this song for you, Francois, even if this is the other topic and you "only" my closer friend?? :music::music::music:

It was strongly provocative, Melissa, you know?

As for the voice of Giorgos Dalaras again: I still can't describe the quality of it in the unique, terrible song "Ta vengalika sou matia", just a song, but so close to bewitched whispering. Connected with this glissando of his guitar. Sorry, MIcki, I had to "steal" your attribute!

Concerning the song from Bregovic cd "Kane kouragio Anna"

if what you say is true, that you should talk less loudly so to control your vocal chords to sing more, that sounds true,

I'll agree with that, but then why does not Giorgio sing more on the refrain then and bring the song to LIFE???

:music:

Sorry folks but for a 6 minute song, I felt there was too much RAP in this tune and not enough of Dalaras Vocals sung for this style of a new interpretation approach.,

Dalaras technique is far too Unique to throw away or leave out for a classic rap and whisperly sung on a short chorus.

This song really disappointed me on that cd. If he had sung more, we wouldnt be having this discussion now.

The song is long, indeed, and there are moments, when it's making me nervous, but, it's still the song helping to get physical balance, when I am very tired. Just because there is not so much "tune" in it, and the refrain would do. But, I can't imagine the song sung during a concert. Did he do it one day?

Concerning the song from Bregovic cd  "Kane kouragio Anna"

I would grave that song in gold if only for the the word πορτοκάλι. I remember hearing the cd for the first time, a looong time ago (like a year and a half) when I couldn't understand a single damm word of what he was saying...

and the sound of this πορτοκάλι just stuck in my ear so that I _had_ to go look it up... and I never again forgot what an orange is in Greek. This was long before Nikolas told us about him and the oranges btw.

There are more sounds like that in the song. Like: 'σαν βρέχει πάντα στα νισιά'... it's the sound, I don't know what it is, it just _sticks_ .

So don' gimme no nonsense about no rappin', mate... :music:

Not even "σαν πορτοκαλι', but: "αποψε θα'ρθω στο πρωτο σου ονειρο" -

- och, what a promise. What a good poetry in it.

Kalimera, Melissa,

1. yes, I was completely astonished (and not once, but three times last year), how young Kyrios Giorgos really looks like. And that's why telling about his real age and (worse even) getting old makes me nervous.If it were only me - I would think, I am too "bewitched" by him, but if somebody who did not see him before, says it's impossible, that he reached already that age - so, that's another matter.

2. And then once more words from the song we mentioned so often in the last posts:

Μην γερασεις, Γιωργο, μην γερασεις....

3. The photos? The one: cover photo from "Trelloi kai angeloi"?, the second: cover photo of "Zygos" CD's, the third one: tthis in his studio, while searching CD's (if I remember well, the first or the second one of these, which are in our other topic).

4. A ladies' part of the club? But I have real joy writing as it is now

About "Κάνε Κουράγιο, ’ννα"

First of all I think that this song is one the best (if not the best) from the album with Bregovic. I have to disagree with Christo. I don't think that it has a Rap tune!

In this "song" actually Dalaras recites a poem, while having some nice musical backround...

The lyrics of Haris and Panos are incredible and deeply moving

and the music of Bregovic is exactly what was needed to make "Kane Kouragio Anna" a great piece of art

The way that this song is written expresses the writer's feelings in a perfect way. And Dalaras is the perfect narrator.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0