Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna

Solidarity concert with Palestine

48 posts in this topic

Francois, the verses "ξεσηκωμούς γυρεύει, θέλει τύρρανους" are from "Όμορφη και Παράξενη πατρίδα". And thank you for the speech of Charlie Chaplin! It's an exceptional speech of humanism as you very well said!!

"Όμορφη και Παράξενη πατρίδα"! Yes, how can I have forgotten the reference? I'll have to buy the CD with Ionatos too!

As far as Chaplin's speech is concerned, I give it to my pupils (the big ones) ever year, but when we watch it on a screen or listen to it from a tape, I have to stand at the back of the classroom because ...τα μάτια μου βουρκώνουν :mad:

Francois, the verses "ξεσηκωμούς γυρεύει, θέλει τύρρανους" are from "Όμορφη και Παράξενη πατρίδα". And thank you for the speech of Charlie Chaplin! It's an exceptional speech of humanism as you very well said!!

Yesterday evening,  Niki and I were in the concert in the Square of Constitution. It was very exciting, as Niki has written. There were so many people, families with their children, elderly people and of course many many young people, but mainly, what captured me most was the sight of little children at their ten, or even less, holding flags of Palestine and standing there with their parents for more then 4 hours!! The same stands for the elderly people too!! It is moving I think! The way we unite in cases like this, people from all ages, from every background for the one and only purpose: the freedom and justice in every single place on the earth!! Last night's concert was not only for the Palestinians, it was also for the people of Cyprus(there were flags of Cyprus in the demonstration yesterday), for the Kurds(there were also flags of Otzalan), for the people of this world that still haven't gained their freedom and their independence. Something that they definetely own, without any talks needed!!!

So, going to yesterday's concert, it was so good that Melodia broadcasted it at the same time, so you all and everyone who couldn't be there, could listen to it!

The important yesterday was that there were messages expressed not only by the artists, but also by poets, by representatives of the Univesity Community, by workers' societies and so on...

The two verses of a poem Niki mentioned earlier, was written by Kwsta Moiri or Kwsta Georgousopoulo and he wrote it especially for the tragedy that takes place between the Israelis and the Palestinians! Extremely meaningful verses!!!

Something very touching in this concert, was also the numerous artists that willed to participate and sing even a verse, just to give their presence and say we are here too and we demonstrate against this terrorism!! For instance, Lorrina McKeneit, for what I know, was not in the list of the artists, but since she would come to Athens yesterday to be awarded for her last cd which became golden in Greece, she willed to take part, among the other Greek artists and sing with Charoula Alexiou. And similarly, Maria Dimitriadi was not in the list at first, and Loudovikos twn Anwgiwn was not in the list and I believe there are more artists that would like to be there but either they couldn't or the time wouldn't be enough for everyone to perform on stage. But,  unfortunately,for what we can see and read and hear, we will need many more solidarity concerts until we see peace and respect of human rights in the Middle East!

Nevertheless, as you Geeske very well said, maybe we won't win, but we won't lose either!!!

Theodorakis said that a poet wrote especially for the Palaistinian case the following verses:

"Να το πιστέψω ότι μέσα στο τάνκ

είναι ο εγγονός της Αννα  Φρανκ;"

"How can I believe it, that in the tank

is the grandson of Anna Frank?"

That's exactly what you have to believe. That the grandson of Anne Frank can be on the tank shooting refugees.

Everyone, your classmates, your colleagues, your neighbours, me, you, everyone is capable of turning into a beast.

One day you go out to work in the morning and there is a tank in front of your door (read the full story in τα τραγούδια κι εγώ φταιώ) and you wonder how it got there.

The answer is "we allowed it to get there".

Shouting 'no, I don't believe it, we are not evil' will NOT help. It will make things worse. The poor Israeli's can't be evil, their parents suffered so much in WW2... So? The poor Palestinians can't be evil, they suffered so from Israel's attacks... So? I can't be evil, I would never do such a thing... No? You'd be surprised.

After you face the fact that everyone is capable of doing evil, of inflicting suffering - after that, you start thinking for yourself. You start taking your own responsabilities. There is no pre-fab answer. Sometimes the right thing is joining an Army, sometimes it is desertion...

But people are stupid and lazy and they don't want to think. So democracy keeps failing, and has to be built again. And again. And again.

Let's keep at it. It's worth the trouble.

Just a thought that crossed my mind, while reading the posts.

"La ou des hommes sont condamnes a vivre dans la misere,

les droits de l'homme sont violes. S'unir pour les faire respecter est un devoir sacre."

Pere Joseph WRESINSKI (1917-1988)

S'unir ! Comment faire ?

Micki

Two days ago, on the 9th, I think, was the day of the holocaust of Jewish I think. And now...

"Όμορφη και Παράξενη πατρίδα"

This poem was made a song by the Greek singer ANGELIQUE IONATOS quite a few years ago. This girl has lived in French-speaking countries since she was a child, and she was a sort of muse for Elytis during the last years of his life.

It is her song that I was thinking about.

Francois

I think his muse during his last years was his wife, Ioulita Iliopoulou, another poet...  ;)

"Όμορφη και Παράξενη πατρίδα"

This poem was made a song by the Greek singer ANGELIQUE IONATOS quite a few years ago. This girl has lived in French-speaking countries since she was a child, and she was a sort of muse for Elytis during the last years of his life.

It is her song that I was thinking about.

I said "a sort of muse", Nikolas. Angelique was a very close friend to Elytis. Have you ever heard her songs?

is she?  ;)

well probably she is, but I suppose it is not my taste.  :D

She has added a lot to Greek music, even from "outside" Greece. Unfortunately, Greece has never been grateful to her. But I am glad you know her, Nikolas.

Francois, it is difficult to be grateful to someone you don't know. Most people don't know her. Personally, I saw her this one time in Alex/poli, about 7-8 years ago; unfortunately she didn't manage to get my attention, maybe my fault, but at the end I was very bored, as most people.

Maybe it is our fault of course. But what do you think she has added to greek music? That sounds interesting, I told you, I just saw her once. I am missing a lot probably.   ;)

unfortunately she didn't manage to get my attention, maybe my fault, but at the end I was very bored, as most people.

Maybe it is our fault of course. But what do you think she has added to greek music? That sounds interesting, I told you, I just saw her once. I am missing a lot probably.   :confused:

She has added completely new sounds, new ways to conceive a melody, a new relationship between the artist and his (or her) tools (instruments, voice, uttering sounds): listen to what she did with Sappho's poems for example. She is a very accomplished composer, there is absolutely no doubt about it, but her music is perhaps a bit too "endechni" or new for Greek people (in general), who don't seem to appreciate works such as "O Kyklos to CNS" or that wonderful song "I agapi ein' o fovos" sung by Maria Farandouri and Yiannis Koutras quite a few years ago, for example.

As far as I am concerned, I don't like everything she does*, but I will always say that she has been one of the best Greek creators for the past few years.

* I don't like everything Bellou did, or everthing Dalaras or Alexiou are doing (that was another example).

Here are three photos of this concert. I don't know if you can find Dalaras in such croud. Personnally, I think I found him  :razz: !!

Photo1 : http://www.rizospastis.gr/servlet....2;SMALL

Photo 2 : http://www.rizospastis.gr/servlet....2;SMALL

Photo 3 : http://www.rizospastis.gr/servlet....2;SMALL

Στην Παλαιστίνη, θάβουν τους νεκρούς

Photo taken from today's French newspaper "LIBERATION".

post-2-01141-palestine.jpg

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0