Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lynne Kleanthous

Audience Participation

11 posts in this topic

I took a Finnish girl to see Dalaras last October and although she really enjoyed the concert (she had seen him once before in Finland years ago), she asked why Greeks pay good money to see someone and then they sing all the way through the concert and the singer even stops to let the audience sing.

I couldn't really answer her, as I do the same, but thinking about it, is it only Greeks who do this.  I know that in England all the concerts that I have been to, although people would sing along, the artists would never stop and listen to the audience singing.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I think it's genetic :)

No really, the Greeks are just more musical than anyone else - except possibly the Irish.

Btw, Springsteen used to do it too - one instance even got onto the Live boxed set (Hungry Heart: the band plays the intro and the audience starts off and sings the first verse without him).

Good Point

This really deciphers a good inductive insight thought.   My speculation is because some of the finest and classical pieces Dalaras sings is from Lyricists  such as: Padadopoulos, Loizos, Pythagoras, Tsotias, and of course Kouyoumtzis.

And when you hear these songs sung from Dalaras like:

Kapou Nictoni, Fantasia, Mi mou Thimonis Matia, Mou, Ola Kala, Paraponemena Logia,  Ahh Helidoni mou, ohh   And did I mention TO Gramma?

Well how can you possibly not sing along on such fantastic hits.  Songs that move you and speak to your heart and soul.

Strange coincidence though is that a friend of mine once told me he experienced the same thing at a Eric Clapton concert.

Druing his concert, Clapton addressed his audience and said, "boy if you guys keep this up I won't have to sing at all,  for I'll  just sit back and play the guitar".

P.S.  the last time I saw Dalaras in Chicago, during the latter part of the concert, he requested to hear our voices sing and not so much his.

I was probably the only one singing out loud on all of the verses and chorus in which I finally yelled back

'ELA Kai Soi Tora'

Chrsto, i agree,usually during the second part of Dalarases concerts he does not really have to sing ,the audience takes over and he just jumps in every so often.I was watching a Bon Jovi concert on VH1 the other night and Jon Bon Jovi was doing the same thing during some of the bigger hits.The audience was singing the song.....I think this happens everywhere when an artist is doing some early famous tunes...This gives the artist real great feedback..

Singning with the performer is part of the great chemistry Dalaras has with his audience. I usually start singing from the first song and till the end, in a concert (to myself of course because otherwise people would be evacuating the place), and I don't think I could stop even if you pay me.

There is a very interesting thing that Elli Lambeti said almost 20 years ago about the chemistry between Dalaras and the ausience. Look in the column "Eipan" (They said)

Dalaras sure enjoys it. Even if he hadn't said so (and he has), the look on his face is more than eloquent.

And oh ye gods it IS so good!!

Geeske, you are right. He does enjoy it and you can see it on his face. In the concert in Hania this summer while he was singing songs from the new album he asked those who new the lyricks to follow him. I was very happy to find out that I remembered them...

I  have to admit that I also like to participate in the concerts.It's a great moment when all the people are singing.It's a great moment for him and for us too! Dalaras indeed has a great relation with the audience!

In the same concert he was singing ''Kali tixi" along with us and then while the musicins were playing he introduced them to us. And then we were suppose to continue the song but the music was not the same. They were no longer playing the same song. But we hadn't noticed it. So he told us that this wasn't the song and he waited untill we found out whitch song it was. And only when we said the chorus he joined in. It was great!

And I remember one time in another concert that he didn't liked the way the we sang a song. He corrected us and made us say it again! And then he even congratulated us!!! (this is something he does very often.) He is amazing! He actually communicates with the audiences!

SPQR,  I think this is what "Charisma" means, he has it and a way of involving everyone in the audience so they feel connected with him at the same time, which is why hearing him on CD or Video is NO replacement for hearing him sing live.  The connection is just not there!!!  

Do you agree?

There are two moments that I will never forget. One happened in Patra many many years ago during the festival. He was singing Ήρθα κι απόψε στα σκαλοπάτια σου. The audience was singing as well. At the end he let the people finish the song and he was laughing. Then he says: Now I have to do my show. And he repeats the last part of the song in a way that nobody else can. Amazing.

The other one, Chris can confirm if he wants. Olympic Stadium. He is singing, Ξημερώνει και βραδυάζει. The people finish the song again. He repeats the last words with an αμανέ and he has 80000 people off their seats cheering

You mean the concert in 1983, Soc? I'm getting fascinated by this concert in the Olympic Stadium. How I wish I was there.

This year I had a real nice experience in Dusseldorf. Just before the break, he sang "Hasta Siempre". I went just before the stage to make a picture. Just when I wanted to put the camera before my face to make the picture, he looked into my eyes, mine only!, and smiled at me. I almost forgot to take the picture and enjoyed the moment ... Ach, i zoi,

Micki

Lynne, I think you are right. Hearing him on a Cd or even seeing him on a Video has nothing to do with being in a concert and having him in front of your eyes... Not that he isn't great (on the contrary he remains magnificent) but there isn't this connection you said. Sometimes I even get the feeling that he is better on stage than on the CDs.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0