NikosDalarovios

Dalaras together with?

167 posts in this topic

İt would be great İf G.Dalaras,Mikis Theodorakis and Zülfü Livaneli sings together.And if that will happen,im going to watch it,whereever is it... :music:

Down there is a photo of M.Theodorakis whit Z.Livaneli.It's just one person missing.I will be waiting for this great Trio. :):rolleyes:

Oguz

post-1-1032687793.jpg

They said yesterday in our news broadcasting, Giorgos Dalaras made a recording with an artist from Cracow, Grzegorz (Gregor) Turnau. I knew it even a bit before, now waiting more impatiently for the CD. Rena, GT is a younger colleague of EWA DEMARCZYK from the same Cracow cabaret she was singing, too.

It was even, believe it or not, even the very first news about GIorgos Dalaras I heard in my country.

Olga, thanks for this hint!

I searched a bit in the internet and visited the website of Grzegorz Turnau (www.turnau.com.pl) it's a bit under construction, so I'll describe the way to go!

First to: muzyka and then click on the new album called: nawet.

The next picture, you have to click once again on the word Nawet and here we go! It's the song 'kwiat'

Well I don't speak Polish, but as far as I understand, it's the song 'louloudi' from Manolis Famelos. And Turnau did it in Polish.

Don't forget to have a look on the musicians who participated!!

:mellow:

Olga,

Am I too understand Cracow, Grzegorz (Gregor) Turnau

is from Poland and the artists music is in polish?

It would make a little more sense as I dont even know what this person is about nor heard any works written by this composer.

:)

But I await the cd

so its only another rendtion of

Louloudi nothing new in terms of songs we dont already have.

Does Dalaras sing in Polish then?

Grzegorz Turnau? A singer from Cracow, and as I would have the CD tomorrow (today a feast in the country); I'll answer as soon as I can!

I can't imagine Giorgos Dalaras singing in POlish nor Grzegorz Turnau in Greek, although Maja Sikorowska was there to help (look backwards in this drawer, you'll find the name.

Anna, thanks apo kardias for the photo. YOU are a Photographer really.

Anna, thanks apo kardias for the photo. YOU are a Photographer really.

:mellow: well this one I didn't take!!

Olga, as you speak and read Polish, why didn't you visited the website of Grzegorz Turnau??

This was the 'main' reason why I posted it! I thought you would translate a bit for us! To give the answers to the questions! :)

A very nice site it is!

I don't know a word of Polish, but, as Anna pointed out, the names of places and persons are usually recognizable! There is a separate list of "participating musicians" for track 5, and it looks suspisciously like the Zygos line-up. My impression is that mr Turnau went down to Athens and was a guest with Dalaras and his band. Lucky Pole!!! Dalaras himself sings and plays guitar.

What's the song? Well, here are the lyrics....

(change your viewer from Greek to Western to get the accents right)

Kwiat

muzyka: George Dalaras,

słowa: Manolis Famellos

tłumaczenie: Maja Sikorowska i Antonina Turnau

Jesteś kwiatem, który do życia się budzi,

lecz nie zakorzenia się tu;

jak piosenka, która się nigdy nie nudzi -

z deszczu mnie prowadzisz do snu.

(Przez bezkresy morza do wieczności nieba,

Aż po magię i światło gwiazd - )

martwić się przegraną nie trzeba, nie trzeba,

skoro jeszcze przegrasz nie raz.

(Jesteś kwiatem, który do życia się budzi,

lecz nie zakorzenia się tu...)

(Dookoła świat tak ponury, ponury,

Nie znajduję prawdy swej w nim;

może nagły wskaże ją piorun i z góry

cel oświetli na szlaku mym.)

Przez bezkresy morza do wieczności nieba,

Aż po magię i światło gwiazd -

martwić się przegraną nie trzeba, nie trzeba,

skoro jeszcze przegram nie raz.

(Jesteś kwiatem, który do życia się budzi,

lecz nie zakorzenia się tu...)

I wouldn't put it past Dalaras to sing in Polish, btw. - if he can do Hebrew and Armenian... and even English... but the other possibility is that he did as with Sting on Mad About You, or with Joan Faulkner on Periplanisi: a bilingual song. I like that idea very much.

Olga, if you don't tell us ALL about soon, with relevant details, you will be run out of the club covered in tar and feathers, see if you ain't :mellow:

Το εχω! το εχω!!! Geske, πως το καταφερες με τα πολωνικα γραμματα!!!!! Congratulations.

I dont have a scanner, so I cant give any photos here. Sorry.

Anna, I know this one photo I mentioned was not yours, but of course what could catch your attention more as the photo ( I know, I know, you dont understand the language )

Ill complete the infos about Grzegorz Turnau afterwards, today just the thongs concerning recording itself.

The title of CD: Nawet Even. from the song with music and text of GT himself. On the cover page a brown-white foto of older men sitting in front of a cafe. I cant read the letters inside, but I suppose, its taken somewhere in Italy.

There are even to versions of Louloudi on this CD; the one sung in duet and the one only by Grzegorz Turnau.

The arrangement is similar to this one from I asphaltos, but not the same. First of all, the very delicate sounds of waves and sand going throught the hands is to be heard.

In comparison to the other version, more piano (Nikos Zervas) and harp (Maria Bildea) in the foreground.

The whole recording was made exactly an year ago in Athens, Odeon Studio (edition: POMATON EMI).

Ac for the texts: the whole is given bilingual in the booklet, but without Greek letters.

The beginning: GT (the first 4 lines only in Polish); and then:

GD: στη μεγααλη θαλασσα, στουρανου το τελος

και στις λαμψεις των αστεριων....

GT: the rest of the verse.

The strophe with text: Σκοτεινος που ειναι ο κοσμος, ο κοσμος is sung by Giorgo Dalara with piano in the background.

The text of the refrain: Εισαι ενα λουλουδι, λουλουδι, λουλουδι, που ομως δεν ριζονει στην γη is sung twice by the two singers in duet, and how! Even with this perfect Greek articulation of δ, what is not so very easily here in Poland.

The Polish translation was made by Maja Sikorowska I mentioned here before and Turnaaus wife, Antonina (I think the translation itself was made by Majka and the needed rhymes added by Antonina). There is also a thanksgiving for Frania Chariklia Sikorowska, the mama of Maja, for Greek supporting.

The Polish translation is a close one, with some exceptions:

Εισαι ενα λουλουδι, λουλουδι, λυλουδι you are a flower awaking to life,

Τραγουδι, που με ταξιδευει στη βροχι like a song, you never get bored with, you are leading me from the rain to night dreams.

απο την αρχη μου χαμενος, χαμενος please, dont worry, if you loose

Btw. the one song of the CD has in its text the Greek winters and An ocean of Metaxa. After collaboration with Giorgos Dalaras in Athens?

In not even the whole week a concert would be given, with songs of this album, and then, possibly, Ill ask the rest! I have to mention Slawek Berny, playing percussion in the other recordings of this CD, my colleague of the students time.

A very special effect: to hear these two languages together, the one I speak all my life, the second I hear all my adult life and can speak now. Mostly thanks to Giorgos Dalaras and his songs.

Pozdrowienia, χαιρετισματα, greetings.

is sung twice by the two singers in duet, and how! Even with this perfect Greek articulation of δ, what is not so very easily here in Poland.

A very special effect: to hear these two languages together

Olga :D:music:

thanks so much!!!

.....and another CD is on the shoppinglist.

Are you going to the concert of Turnau at Krakau??

In one of our weekly magazines they say, I think, about the CD itself, and not about the coming concert: "An outstanding attraction of it is an appearance of a famous Grek singer George Dalaras, known in Poland e.g. from the duet with Sting". The first second were, I had to think: do they say about the recording or of the concert? I would like the second!!!!

And this was again: the first time I saw Giorgos Dalaraas' name written in a POlish magazine. Well, after the concert (on Monday) I expect more.

From the most read Polish daily; Gazeta Wyborcza today:

Nawet (Even) is the eighth album of the Cracow artist. The fans had to wait for it iover three years. The former, Ultima was published 1999. Since then was the artist composing, above all, music to theatre performances. They are partly published on the CD Nawet. Nevertheless, mostly are there the new songs, like the Flower, played in duet with a famous Greek singer Giorgos Dalaras.

Besides the musicians who are usually accompanying Turnau, there are to be heard on the CD: Joanna Kulig and Magda Steczkowska (choir parts), and Tomasz Kukurba, playing viola.

This musician, usually playing in the Klazmer trio Kroke [Hebrew: Cracow, OF] will appear to the today concert, too.

And this is, how Grzegorz Turnau introduced the new song during the concert itself:

I was singing it with an outstanding Greek singer; I would perhaps tell about it one time.

He told about Majka Sikorowskas translation from Greek into Polish and his daughters Antonina help [so not his wifes one, my fault, OF] to translate it from prosa to poetry. Chariklia Sikorowska, the mother of Maja, who was present in the concert, was then mentioned:

we say greetings to Mum Sikorowska.

The song itself was played without harp, with two verses in Greek: Eisai eina louloudi louloudi louloudi pou omos den rizonei stin gi.

An another song from the album, Różo wiatrów was told to be inspired by one strange melody heard in one taverna in Athens.

In a short backstage possible afterwards I found, that:

1. the cover photo I mentioned before was taken in fact in Italy, in Toscana;

2. the whole recording was simply possible because of the cooperation of Dalaras and Turnau with Pomaton EMI and this was their proposal (I had a temptation to write Turnau and Dalaras at first, you know; would it be a deadly sin here, paidia?)

3. Grzegorz Turnau hopes for a possible performance of Giorgos Dalaras in Poland!!!!!!!!

One of my colleagues taking part in the today concert said even, he was expecting for a possible presence of Giorgos Dalaras today here (I said, me too...)

I stay in contact with my coleague Slawek Berny, playing percussion in the today concert; after Ive heard anything, Ill let know, of course.

If there are any articles in the newspaapers tomorrow, too.

And, even if the oboe player (Mariiusz Pędziałek, the soloist of Cracow Philharmonic) and the sax player (Leszek Szczerba) had nothing to do with "our" particular song, I want to mention them in an "extra" way. Their solo parts.... mmmm....

I wonder now, how would the Polish fonts appear here, let's see.

Καλη σας νυχτα ολους,

Οlga

"Our" song was, unfortunately, not mentioned in the short note after the Grzegorz Turnau's concert. Krima.

But the author of the note was the author of the previous one, too.

There was yesterday not an extra concert programme, where the additional infos could be given.

φανταζομαι μια πολυ καλη συνεργασια που πραγματικα θα

ειχε ανταποκριση Γιωργο Νταλαρα + Γιαννη Κοτσιρα

κανοντας και ανταλλαγη των τραγουδιων τους......

;)

What can I say, playing yesterday all the day only one song I got on the morning: Plessas/Papadopoulos/Kotsiras, I proti fora :razz: .

"All the day" is not a rhetoric figure, I had free.

"Oj, Grzegorz Turnau went far away from the New Yourk scepticism and the vodka drunk on the bench of the park. The end with the petty everyday life. On the Cracow streets in the autumn periode came the poured Greek wine and gave to them metaphysic and eschatology. Every piece of the new recording after three years break is a question or - let's not be afraid of this word - a prayer. Already with the first number: "Lyric" written to the words of Konstanty Galczynski [my favourite poet, btw, Olga] a slight sorrow of existence tracks us down. THis becomes step by step deeper, till to the number five sung in a duet with George Dalaras. The Greek singer is singing in his own language, then - for an average Pole not understandable. But that underlines magnificently the universa lity of this work. Listener, you are in the middle of a Greek sea in a small shell, but even if you loose, do not worry. It is not the first and not the last time. Even if nobody can promise a happy harbour at the end of this journey, it's simply nice to sail with Turnau."

Magda Papuzinska:

Grzegorz Turnau, "Nawet", Pomaton EMI, Przekroj 47/2996, 24.11.2002

And, to the documentation and for my own pleasure ;) the original version with simplified fonts:

"Oj, daleko odszedl Grzegorz Turnau od nowojorskiego sceptycyzmu i wodki nalawce w parku wypitej. Koniec z blaha codziennoscia. Na jesienne krakowskie ulice wlalo sie greckie wino i nadalo im wymiar metafizyczno-eschatologiczny. Kazdy kawalek z nowej plyty wydanej po trzyletniej przerwie to pytanie albo - nie bojmy sie tego slowa - modlitwa.

Juz po pierwszej "Liryce" do slow Galczynskiego dopada sluchacza lekki egzystencjalny smuteczek, ktory stopniowo sie poglebia az do numeru piatego wykonanego w duecie z Georgem Dalarasem. Grecki piesniarz spiewa po swojemu, wiec niezrozumiale dla zwyklego Polaka, co znakomicie podkresla uniwersalnosc dziela. Jestes, sluchaczu, na srodku greckiego morza w malenkiej lupince, ale nawet jesli przegrasz, nie martw sie, bo nie pierwszy to raz i nie ostatni. Chociaz nikt nie obiecuje u kresu podrozy szczesliwego portu, milo jest po prostu plynac z Turnauem".

With whom would I like to see him singing? Hmmm, the style would be most influenced by the partner but here go a list of possible or less possible artists I'd like to see him with (be it for the curiosity of the final result):

Psarantonis

Christos Zotos

David Bowie

JJ Cale

Jacques Higelin

Psarantonis!!!!!! "The curiosity of the final result....."

Hm, a very, very, very strange, but a very interesting thought indeed.....

With our Turnau war the result so nice (especially for me....) that these trials can be hoped to be successful.

That all took me ... a long time to read. And now I see that no one has commented here for two days. Yet I must after all that reading!!

First of all, I don't like this talk about octaves and whatnot. As an uneducated singer I have tended to despise somewhat, I think, the technical aspects of music which I don't understand. I sing along with Dalaras regularly, and I honestly don't believe he reads notes off a sheet; his soul interprets the music. He is independent of such limits as "octaves"--we mustn't say he is limited by them. I mean, come on, his voice may not go very low, but it does reach amazing heights! It hurts to hear that amazing sound numerically ranged at one-and-a-half. (To the author of the comment concerning octaves: that was actually interesting, and I'm just being "silly," so please don't be offended.)

Next point ... whoever said that Dalaras takes a song and makes it his own was absolutely correct. Though that song might not match the composer's vision, a piece of music is only its writer's for as long as that person lives. It then becomes a legacy unto all humanity, a mystery to be interpreted and passed along like old dhimotika. It adapts and evolves into its own living entity, and Dalaras is a master at taming the beast, I feel. Yes, I am rambling.

Okay, now concerning the actual topic...

I would like to hear--strictly to satisfy my curiosity and not because I think they would be good together--him and Notis Sfakianakis. I have a strangely strong notion that most Dalaras fans do not like Sfakianakis' music (or maybe him as a person, but I turn a blind eye and an open ear). That would probably be partly due to how his voice is completely different from that of Dalaras. I think it would be hilarious to hear Sfakiankis sing Mana Mou Ellas and interesting if Dalaras attempted O Aetos (I'm sure it would be great but dizzyingly different).

Also, you people are my heros. Your knowledge is stunning.

Okay, thanks for humoring me! Next time I'll try to catch the topic before it's sixteen pages long and two-days dead.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead