NikosDalarovios

Dalaras together with?

167 posts in this topic

And Sting wanted to do Desert Rose too, but Dalaras wouldn't because they hadn't rehearsed. I read the story on the forum :D

can't hear Desert Rose without thinking of it, thinking 'what would it be like......'

dreaming

Dalaras and Alkinoos, at the concert in Paralimni in Cyprus, said together "Wdi ston Georgio Karaiskaki" and "Gia tin Kypro". These two great songs are composed and written by Dionisi Savvopoulo.

Hello everyone

Geeske, I agree with you.

I too would love to see Dalaras sing Desert Rose with Sting.

I think Dalaras would do a great 'Amane' for that vocal part.

Who knows, maybe the next time Dalaras takes on a project to sing one of Stings' songs again he may decide to choose that one.

The Algerian singer Mami is good and I don't think he should mind if someone else were to come along and do another colloboration of that famous song with Sting.

Afterall, thats the beauty of having re-mixes from other artitst right?

I've heard other singers try to sing some of Dalaras material and although its good, some of them do not do a justice to the song has Dalaras would if he were singing them.

A matter of preference perhaps, but afterall that is my opinion.

Ela Nikos

Well to name a few off the tip of my head,

The artists I've heard them sing some of Dalaras songs were never released on cd but sung live in a concert setting where I've seen them perform and/or has been recorded on video from broadcasted on the Antenna TV Satellite system.

For example, I saw on a video tape

the singer  Vasillis Lekkas

sing the song from manos Hadjidakis

"Η ΜΠΑΛΑΝΤΑ ΤΩΝ ΑΙΣΘΗΣΕΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΤΩΝ ΠΑΡΑΙΣΘΗΣΕΩΝ"

He was rather good but he didn't have that strong warm projection that Dalaras portrays and swells from his vocals.

and then of course I've head Farantouri sing quite a few songs by Theodorakis that Dalaras has sung in the past.

NO comment here.

I've seen live in Concert the group Zig Zag sing

'TOPES' from the 'Mi Milas' cd

It was kind of good too, for their rhythm and music was really good and definately had a Latin feel to it., but again it was not Dalaras projecting those strong smooth vocals.

And of course in the same concert I heard Glykeria sing

"Tis Aminis Sta Pedia"

Ohh and how can we forget Mouskouri sing her famous song by Hadjidakis   'Kir Andonis'

well again no comment.

and of course I'm sure Alexiou and Galani have sung some songs by Kouyoumtzis, Loizos, Kaldaras, Mikroutsikos and Xarhakos in a live concert setting that Dalaras has sung too live but far too vast to try and pinpoint as to where and when.

And Lets not forget all the colloborations that the brothers Katshimihas, the Tenor Frangoulis, the rocker Papakonstantino and mellow singer Stokas and of course Sting has given to us from their back up vocals with Dalaras.

And too many others here to mention.  The list goes on and on.

Hope this helps clarify what I was referring to from  up above.

Christo,

I have listended to "Η ΜΠΑΛΑΝΤΑ ΤΩΝ ΑΙΣΘΗΣΕΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΤΩΝ ΠΑΡΑΙΣΘΗΣΕΩΝ" by Vasilis Lekkas. I agree with you, it doesnt sound good at all to me.

Actually it is not extreme to say that because Ntalaras is so great, whoever tries to sing his songs wont sound very good.

If the person is another great singer ( like Farantouri, Mouschouri, Alexiou etc) I personally say "thats very good" but I always prefer the Ntalaras version.

There is no explanation for that, I think Ntalaras gives life to the songs.

As far as the songs of Manos Hadjidakis are concerned, I think that singers like Farantouri or Dalaras (although they are the best Greek singers today together with a few other ones), are not the ideal singers for them. Of course, both have added sense to the songs they have interpreted, but Hadjidakis had himself trained Lekkas or Dandonaki or Lakis Pappas, for example, for the pieces of music he composed specially for their voices and sensibilities. Dalaras's voice is much more for Theodorakis's songs or rebetika. Dalaras' and Hadjidakis's admirations for each other were infinite, of course, but their musical cooperation is more like a very friendly meeting than a real cooperation.

Hadjidakis is dead, and Dalaras is still alive, and he is still quite young; he will probably one day find a way into Hadjidakis' music, a precious way which, to my mind, he hasn't found yet.

No misunderstanding, please: both Hadjidakis and Dalaras have reached summits that very few artists have reached until now...

By the way, never forget that one of my favourite songs by Dalaras was composed by Hadjidakis: Στο Σείριο υπάρχουνε παιδιά... :)

And never forget that one of my favourite songs by Hadjidakis was sung by Dalaras: Στο Σείριο υπάρχουνε παιδιά... :)  :blush:  :blush:  :)  :)  :music:

My very long experience of Hadjidakis's music (almost 34 years, since I was ten) and my rather long experience of Dalaras's voice (since 1974, the first time I went to Greece), enable me to say what I said and that "he will probably one day find a way into Hadjidakis' music, a precious way which, to my mind, he hasn't found yet".

You mean he's not being original?

Of course Dalaras is original, otherwise, he wouldn't be what he is, but his interpretations of some of Hadjidakis's songs don't give to those songs the extraordinary colour that they should have and that they have with most voices Hadjidakis chose.

Hatzidakis and Dalaras

To my opinion Dalaras' voice is too strong, too powerful for the songs of Hatzidakis. Most of them I know, they are gentle, soft songs.

Once I saw Dalaras and Elli Paspala together singing at a rehearsal the song 'Χαρτινο το φεγγαρακι'.

Dalaras sung it very beautiful, but I had the impression he has to hold back his voice, didn't sing with all the power he has for not 'hurting' the softness of this song! And if he has to hold back, he can't give all, means... difficult to explain! Hope you understand what I mean!  

And I think Dalaras knows this, as ( as far as I know) there are not so many Hatzidakis songs with Dalaras.

Your post explains quite well one of Dalaras' problems with Hadjidakis' songs, Anna. I think it is a very interesting subject.

But I wouldn't call it a problem, as there are quiet enough songs for Dalaras to sing!

:)

ok folks

and one more person in here to add to the discussion.

I've also heard the singer

Nikos Nomikos sing the song "Η μπαλάντα των αισθήσεων και των παραισθήσεων (Σαν παλιό σινεμά)"

way back in the '80s from the Kentro  'TO Laiko Xefandoma'

his singing style was very similar to that of

Lekkas with the only exception is that he hurried to sing it rather then take his time and eccentuate the vowels.

In on other words, nothing to brag about.

Francois, I respect your opinion but I still feel Dalaras is the best interpreter for these compositions by Hadjidakis and he brings so much more color in his voice among any other artists I've heard yet to sing these songs.

ok with that said

I'm leaving for the airport

I'll see you all when I get back.

:blush:

Hatzidakis and Dalaras

To my opinion Dalaras' voice is too strong, too powerful for the songs of Hatzidakis. Most of them I know, they are gentle, soft songs.

And I think Dalaras knows this, as ( as far as I know) there are not so many Hatzidakis songs with Dalaras.

This seems quite obvious to me.

There is so much pathos and lyricism in Dalaras'voice !

I would think his voice is much better suited to Theodorakis, Xarkakos or Markopoulos music, for example, than to Hadjidakis music.

This sort of statement can in no way be interpreted as a criticism on Dalaras voice since every voice, like every instrument, is better suited to some particular style of music.

In the realm of opera, it is well known that the best Mozartian tenors  are seldom very good at singing  Verdi, for example, and vice versa.

There is nothing strange about that.

To go back to Hadjidakis, I must admit to being a little unconfortable with his choice of singers I have 2 songs sung by Lakis Pappas (from ' Matomenos Gamos' , N.Gatsos' rendering of Lorca's poem) and I cann't say I like the voice at all.

Maybe I'm to much of a "barbarian" to appreciate.

As Hadjidakis said about himself in an interview : ".je ne suis pas d'un acces facile pour les etrangers."

I'll leave the translation of that sentence to the experts !

Do like me!

As there's no singer of Hatzidakis music who's voice I really like, my favourite cd is 'Το χαμογελο της Τζοκοντας' and this one is an instrumental one!

Yes, 'Το χαμογελο της Τζοκοντας'  is very good and very characteristical of his years spent in New York.

I'm listening to this cd now and I have to admit, it doesn't sound typical Greek!

Does someone know a 'typical Greek instumental' cd by Hatzidakis?

Oh, Anna!

First think about and then write down!

I was reading my last post with this stupid question! What am I asking about? Typical Greek Hatzidakis music? Hatzidakis is Hatzidakis! But what is typical Greek music?

I'm listening to this cd now and I have to admit, it doesn't sound typical Greek!

Does someone know a 'typical Greek instumental' cd by Hatzidakis?

For Anna, here are some 'typical Greek instumental' cds by Hatzidakis:

1) 15 ΕΣΠΕΡΙΝΟΙ (Ορχηστρικό): famous Hadjidakis songs played on the piano

2) ΕΞΗ ΛΑΙΚΕΣ ΖΩΓΡΑΦΙΕΣ, ΓΙΑ ΜΙΑ ΜΙΚΡΗ ΛΕΥΚΗ ΑΧΙΒΑΔΑ (Ορχηστρικό)

ΕΞΗ ΛΑΙΚΕΣ ΖΩΓΡΑΦΙΕΣ is a very nice re-writing for the piano of some of the best rebetika songs.

3) ΠΑΣΧΑΛΙΕΣ ΜΕΣΑ ΑΠΟ ΤΗ ΝΕΚΡΗ ΓΗ (Ορχηστρικό): another very nice re-writing for "elafri laiki orchistra" of some of the best rebetika songs and some famous Hadjidakis pieces

and, of course,ΤΟ ΧΑΜΟΓΕΛΟ ΤΗΣ ΤΖΟΚΟΝΤΑΣ (Ορχηστρικό)

The 4 records supervised by Hadjidakis himself. :(  :)

if you are online, you can switch to melodia.gr, where they next 2 hours are dedicated to Hatzidakis, and after that 2 hours of Theodorakis I think.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead