Vasilis

A great musician

69 posts in this topic

It opened!!! Anna, thank you so much!!! Where did you find it? It's wonderful!!! Now, I know what I'll tell anyone who ever tells me again that Dalaras doesn't know music... Not, that I had a problem dealing with them so far...  :blush:  Only now, Mikis speaks as well...

I couldn't opened it either, but I went to the search page and did a search for that day and there was the article. Do I get a good grade now?

Soc, what kind of grade would you like?

In Holland 1 is bad and 10 is best, in Switzerland 6 was best, the French grade on 20, and the Americans, I think, give A's? what do the Greeks do?

Anyway, the download worked for me too, and printed very neatly.Reading it :blush: is another kettle of fish!

But I did find "the good bit" pretty quickly (for me) and enjoyed it very much.

Those two "deserve each other", as we say in Holland!

I went to the search page too and coudn't open it either.

Today, I can open both !

Soc, admit it, you were just lucky and a little prompt asking for a good grade....Sans rancune!

I've heard from a very reliable source that Dalaras' favorite instrument is the outi.  If you think about it makes sense, because, exept for Christos Zervas playing outi on Kalos Tous, I'm 98% sure that whenever you hear outi with anything he does it is him (100% on live stuff cause u can see him playing) because of the similar style you always here.  In my opinion he is the best outi player there is.  I say in my opinion because when you get tp that level of talent it becomes a matter of prefrence.  For example who is the better bouzouki player, Karandini or Mavropoulo, Papadopoulos or Zambetas, Papiouanou or Tsitsani.  The best of any particular era have their following and believe me Dalaras is up there with outi.  (i also think he is one hella of a bouzouki player as well)

This topic gives me the oportunity to describe a great experience I lived during Ntalaras performance in Iera odosII with Marios Fragoulis, Eleni Tsaligopoulou and Ypogia revmata. First of all it was a great performance. When the Ypogia revmata, which are a rock group, came on the stage with Dalaras, they performed the Asimenia sfigga together. Asimenia sfigga is a rock song with a fast tempo. So I will never forget this image, ;)  with Ypogia revmata playing their electric guitars and Ntalaras followed them with a baglamadaki. It was amazing how he could play so fast with such a difficult and small instrument. It is just another proof of how good musician Ntalaras is!

Hey,when I look to a video or  a concert, I see a Dalaras, who wants to be absolut perfect on stage. And he is the boss on stage. Sometimes it looks like he is not so glad with his musicans. I have not seen it from other musicans in this way. Franz

Niko, I've seen in a video Dalaras and Ypogia Reymata perfoming the Asimenia sfika and I was too amazed! He was playing so fast and so good! :) A real pleasure to watch him and hear him!

No, Geeske, it is too "classical" to be the great Mounir Bachir. In fact, it is Mohamed Abdelwahab, the "Mozart" or "Tsitsanis" of Egypt. I can mail you some very nice links to some other great outi players, Geeske, as I don't think they would be relevant here.

Speaking of Dalaras, it is true that he is very good at playing the lute (outi or 'ud).

Francois, you might be surprised how many people will be interested! But if you really don't want to post them, please DO mail them to me. You'd be doing me a real big joy!

Indeed, I will do so, Geeske. But you'll have to remind me, as tomorrow I won't be at home and now, it's almost midnight in France, and I have to go to bed. :)

Francois, you might be surprised how many people will be interested! But if you really don't want to post them, please DO mail them to me. You'd be doing me a real big joy!

Three links to another outi player, Ryad el Sunbati (classical Egyptian music):

Al Atlal:

http://real.paris.netia.net:8080/ramgen/~medi1///F0262957.ra

Robayat el Khayam:

http://real.paris.netia.net:8080/ramgen/~medi1///F0271145.ra

Awedti eyni ala rouyaki

http://real.paris.netia.net:8080/ramgen/~medi1///F0262953.ra

I 've had the argument with many people in the past (when I used to argue, because I don't do that anymore, since a long time ago). Their position: He is not such a good musician. He just plays the guitar to show off or because he doesn't know what to do with his hands. It' s part of his style and he doesn't contribute anything to the band.

My response: I hate ignorance and I don't want to talk to you again. Welcome to the list.

Anyway, that was long time ago. Today, while stuck at a traffic light I glanced at the booklet from the Asfaltos and I opened it because I didn't remember what he played in Θα 'ρθω να σε βρω. And gdoup (as we say in Greece). Κρουστά!!!. So, anyway I remembered we had this conversation in the forum, don't know which thread, but I had an idea. My response to them should not be that. It should be: If it is part of the show off process, he would play only live. He would not play when recording. What would be the point. How many people really read the instrument players? Not many. It's not worth the hassle. But he does. So, he contributes. That 's what I would have responded. But I don't argue about these things anymore. I have more importnat issues to deal with.

A few months ago, some of our members, hinted at his being "embarrassed", at his "not knowing what to do with his hands" when he was not playing an instrument :cool:

I can tell you Soc : I was very shocked.

I thought : but how can they say that ?  How little they appreciate his talent ! They don't seem to see that the way he uses his voice - - his whole body and mind concentrating on it - - is another way of mastering a different instrument - another string instrument too !

I was very disappointed and told myself : well,no use arguing since they don't understand!

Was I right ?

I would like to add to soc's post that there is a term used by musicians such as 'this is a musician of recordings', referring to those instrument players who are used in studios, to record songs, music etc. The point is that those are even better musicians because a recording needs someone to be able to play it perfectly, because it will stay. So Dalaras is a musician of recordings.

Also, as I have also passed from the 'playing a guitar as a teenager' stage, I want to say that looking at Dalaras' hands and mainly fingers, when he plays the guitar, is so pleasign because his playing is a live seminar, we have some guitarists around (pou eisai Giwrgo) who can confirm that. He plays very clearly.

Now, I will let soc return to dealing with his important issues...   :sarcasm:

Having said all that, I also want to add that IMO (in my opinion....) the talent of a musician should not be restricted to a studio and I strongly believe that the real power can appear only on stage. See Dalaras playing in Una moneda le di, live, to see what I mean.

One of the greatest musicians that play with Giorgio, I am sure you know Filippos Tsemperoulis, said in an interview lately that what is so good in working with Dalaras is that he feels like a musician and gives room to the musician, to play, to reach his highest standards. Another one of the greatest, Lefteris Zervas, with his violi ( yes it is belongs to him :mad: ) said that while playing with Dalaras, musicians make something like a 'battle' for who is going to play better.

And Annemarie, I hope when I hit 'add reply', I will again see one of your posts that didn't exist before I started this one...  :mad:

Filippos Tsemperoulis is a genius musician!! And not only with Greek music!

BTW Nikola, you know he made an own cd? From the cover you see it's already some years ago.

post-1-04655-CD_Tsemperoulis.JPG

well,

everything is more important than trying to talk to people who don't want to listen. So, doing so is a waste of time. And extremelly hazardous for my mental health.

BTW Nikola, you know he made an own cd? From the cover you see it's already some years ago.

Yes, I read it in the same interview. I intend to buy it as soon as I get back.

Annemarie,

I think you took it the wrong way about him not knowing what to do with hands. When I mentioned it once,  I meant that he is so much more comfortable when he is playing than just singing.  He feels more at home with a guitar etc on stage than just singing standing in front of the mic.  I didn't imply that he wasn't using his voice etc, as you have put it.

I hope you understand what I mean, it's wasn't an insult in any way to him, just having seen him with orchestras recently a lot he seems to prefer playing and singing together.

So it was you Lynne ! I was too lazy to make a search in all the postings !!

Don't worry, I understood you perfectly well, I know and knew at the time that it was no insult to him ...........but I still feel it is very unfair since I still think that he doesn't need a guitar to feel more at ease on stage ........

We could go on and on like that until we just "agree to disagree" as our wonderful politicians are so good at doing.

The whole exercise is  to confirm how easy it is for a misunderstanding to arise and to raise again the following question : is it better to argue or to dismiss comments we don't like ?  ;)  :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead