Geske

How I became addicted

160 posts in this topic

Lynne, only the hyper sensitive and a femenist would think i was a MCP......As i was just kidding!!! Your not a "she" too are you? "Oh my god there everywhere"!!! he,he,he.  

No, no Lynne I'm persuaded there can't be any MCP among Dalaras fans (???).

Well, here is my story if you will excuse my doubtful command of English.It all started in 1988.

In June 1988 my daughter and I went to Greece in search of sunshine, like many before and after us. At that time, we were living in the German part of Switzerland were winters are winters ! Being from the south of France, I thrive on blue skies and sunshine and Greece seemed like the perfect choice to 'recover' from too long a winter. We weren't disappointed.

However, what I didn't expect was the wonder of it all : the people, the landscapes, the language, most of all the language. The short holiday in June wasn't enough for me and I returned to Greece in September.

A few weeks after that second holiday, back in Switzerland, we were invited at the house of one of my husband's colleages. This man had spent two years working in Athens, had loved it and was very happy to see my enthousiasm. After dinner, the man said : you must listen to something. SOMETHING was Dalaras singing the "18 songs...". Just imagine, Ritsos, Theodorakis (both already known to me) served by this stunning voice and talent !!!

Well, that was it. I decided from then on to try and learn modern Greek and do my utmost to listen to more and more Dalaras singing. I made every effort to find CDs (which was not too easy) and was lucky to see a short video/documentary on german television.

Unfortunately I missed several concerts for lack of information but made up for it lately thanks to Nikolas' wonderful website : London last year (where I had the pleasure to meet Kate), Athens (Tsitsanis concert, absolutelu wonderful - yes, I do like Tsaligopoulou), London again and let's hope France in October.

As I just said, this website is great. It's wonderful to know of other people experiences and feelings concerning Dalaras but one thing I don't really understand: why try to compare him to other artists ?? It is simply impossible...he is UNIQUE !

To all MCPs: I direct all of you to Nikos Kavadias' poem "Gynaika" sung by a person we know, but most importantly (and here is where you should test your knowledge) to a poem by Odysseas Elytis, sung again by a person we know , called:

"Ti na sas po ginaikes"

Oh, je ne sais pas. Je n'ai pas parle le Francais pour 15 ans. J' etais tres comfortable. Maintenant c' est difficile. Peut etre, je pourrais essayer.

(I don't even know if what I just wrote is correct)

Yes, perfectly correct Soc!

Sorry for this little French interlude. Don't let  it interrupt you, friends, go on, tell us more stories !

Geeske, I'm impressed, quite a story you have there.

My story is a little different. I am a Greece addict. I cannot imagine the time anymore that I didn't know Greece, or was not in Greece. Since 1987 till now I've been there 13 times and each time was great. I am into Greek dancing, I'm learning the language (which is not so easy, but I love it anyway), I know Greek people in my country from the Greek community, ...

And than one year, I don't remember exactly when, I found a CD of Dalaras in a shop in Oostende (a city at the Belgian beach). My first CD of his! (Chris, if you read this, your copies are on the way, I hope it won't take too long).

And I loved it. I started looking for more CD's. And I went the first time to a concert of his in 1994, in Brussels, GREAT, JUST GREAT !!

In 1998 I went for a second (Dόsseldorf) and third time (Brussels). Both times I even got to meet him. He is really a very nice man, not pretentious at all, modest, he was even surprised that we came to Dόsseldorf and to Brussels. My friend and I were over the moon.

This year in May, we went again to Brussels and Dόsseldorf. In Dόsseldorf we met him very briefly, enough to get his signature (on his CD: O asfaltos pou trexie).

And I saw him at Zygos on the Plaka in Athens the 1rst January this year.

In my car, at my place, always there is his music. I just love it.

geia sou,

Micki

Oostende???

I could imagine more unlikely places to discover Dalaras, but I'd have to think about it ;)

Must be more Dalaras magic :)

Micki, do you get the problem of people around you complaining of 'too much Greek'?

Geia sou Geeske,

People don't complain so much about my passion for Greece and Dalaras, but I've been teased so many times. I don't really mind. Everybody has his passion.

I have one good friend who shares my passion and she brought me a poster from Crete. It was an anouncement of his concert in Chania. She took it from the walls. Last year we did the same in Maroussi, we saw posters of his concert in September 2000 in Herodeion, Athens. We knew we couldn't be there, but we could have a poster.

What would live be without a passion and I'm so glad I have a Greek passion and discovered Dalaras.

Geia sou,

Micki

Soc, I know you were at Zygos!!

After your visit you made an entry to the guestbook ( the 'old' web-site, you remember?)

As we wanted to go to Zygos in the middle of January, I printed your entry and translated it, to be prepared to everything!!

Your last sentence was: don't shout for the waiters, help yourselves!

Chris,

The copies of the cover that you asked me. Ring a bell??

I hope you approve of them, you are not easy at all.  And I'm still looking for an original of that CD.

Geia sou,

Micki

I think I have said how I came to become a Dalaras'fan, but I don't mind saying it again. So here is the story...

I first listened Dalaras accidentally in a friend's house.It was back in 1997, I was 15 years old. It was a really bad period of my life as my parents were divorsing and I was trying desperately to escape this situation. So there I was, sad, feeling sorry for what was happening,when I heard on the radio a magical voice...Can you guess whose? Well, yes it was Dalaras, singing "Ένας κόμπος η χαρά μου". My friend wanted to find another tune but I stopped her. I didn't knew who he was because at the moment I wasn't listening to music. Anyway, I was amased. Since then Dalaras has become my favourite artist. Anytime I am sad of depressed, I listen his songs and he makes me feel better. Anytime I am happy, I listen his songs and he makes me fly! That's the story in short terms. I hope you guys are not laughing at me...

My last minutes at work, I just cannot say it enough... I AM ADDICTED !!!  To Dalaras, to this sight, to you all, your stories, the lyrics, the songs and I'm so happy - once again and more - to go to Crete in October. Poor colleague of mine who is coming with me. She'll just has to put up with me and my passion.

Kalinichta,

Micki

Well,it's what they say about Greece Micki: you'll either hate it or adore it!There is no middle point!

The same goes with Dalaras.You'll either love him or hate him.No middle.We live in a country that the word "middle" does not exist...!

(from one point of view,that's somehow overtaking,isn't it?)

So glad to hear your with us and like us

Micki

In addition, Taking a Chemistry course goes the same way.  You either like it or you don't  no middle.

I believe one could also say the same for Statistics and so on.

No middle way for you, Christo,

definitely no half-measures for me either...

but how many people out there indifferent to everything? half-alive, not caring much about anything?

έτσι που ζεις από συνήθεια as he sings somewhere.

Kosta, It's not overtaking. I hate middle ! Just like the rest of the members, when I read their posts.

There is no way to just like Greece or Dalaras' music. You love it and when you do with all the passion that you have in you.

Just like you can hate with passion. You'll never see me with a grey color. Just never !! I'd rather die.

Have a nice day you all.

Micki

Yes Micki,I know what you're saying.I,myself,love Dalaras music and songs and don't just like them!There is no middle to that,that's for sure!

I'm proud of my country either way.I beleive it deserves it.I think the way I think and speek the way I speek,good or wrong,because of this particular culture.I'm proud of this culture   :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead