Geske

How I became addicted

160 posts in this topic

:):D:D

A question: is it already "addiction", if I would like to hear the voice of Kyrios Giorgos in the repertoire, what is not so completely his?

But the voice would suit here, into the Matthew Passion, and how!!

No, Melissa, not a drink, althought it has similar effects sometimes, to refresh the mind and soul. The additional effect: I started to learn German with it's texts, now I am a German teacher.

The exactly 3 hours of the most wonderful music of J.S.Bach, after the gospel of Matthew, concerning the passion of Christ. But, the best music is not in the Gospel parts, but by additions to it, which were written by an author of Bach's time called Picander. The very beginning - the very end - some aries and choruses. And the best recording up till now: John Eliot Gardiner + Monteverdi Choir. The texts in a booklet are translated (pretty well indeed into English.

In case, you want to know this most wonderful work of Barock music, for me, in fact, the greatest work of music at all. Even concerning to diko mas to Giorgo Dalara (this is why I would like to hear him in this work, too). Because it would suit his voice. Really.

Even at 100,000 Euros (hey, how did you get that symbol on the computer, it's cool!),

I spent the 100 000 on a new computer with the key on it :blush::):blush:

The remaining marbles of Parthenon? Too late, Francois, everything taken by a lord Elgin to England (what perhaps saved these works of art for us after the last wars).

Melissa, happy listening then. And well, let's wait for Kyrios Giorgos' voice in some parts....

How I became addicted...

Well, i have been listening to Dalaras from the time i was born...my mother was listening and singing his songs from when she was a girl...

Anyway...when i was 5 years old, i learned how to "play" with the cassete recorder :music: so, i started listening Dalaras' songs even more :rolleyes: ... My parents often remind me of one day when, while we were in the church, (i was 5 years old), i started singing loudly "Mi milas, mi gelas, kindynevi i Ellas me ti glyka pu filas" :blush::razz::mad: ... But when i got 7 years old, i stopped listenning to music (i don't remember why)...so, i grew up...and when i was 13, (after a "xylopita" :) ) i started listenning to Dalaras again...from then, i listen to his songs many hours a day... :mad::mad::mad: and i am trying to go to as many concerts as possible :music::music::music:

:D

Hi Mpougatsa

Welcome aboard

glad to have you hear among us.

You'll find we laugh, joke and criticize each other from time to time in here,

but its all in good spirit when your in the Dalaras realm.

Tell us again what country are you from?

regards

Christo

:)

Och, MEGALI MPOUGATSA, you made me laugh san trelli in the moment I read about your singing Dalaras' song in the church! A pity I was not there to hear you.

You MUST be from Greece, I guess. Or at least your Mama is.

When I became addicted?

I am not so sure. I bought two LP's ( ΜΙΚΡΑ ΑΣΙΑ and ΒΥΖΑΝΤΙΝΟΣ ΕΣΠΕΡΙΝΟΣ), when I was in Greece in 1973 - unfortunate time for Greecs. I travelled with Κ.Τ.Ε.Λ. busses over the country. Always greec music playing. I heard one song ever and ever again, but it was not the voice of Dalaras, but of Χαρις Αλεξιου. Ι asked someone , and bought my LPs - most songs by Dalaras, some by Alexiou.

At home I heard it first time completely and consciously - and the more I heard it, the more I discovered G.D. Unfortunately , there should be a long time for me without having any opportunity of getting newer music of him.

It was in 1994 in Cologne, Germany , by chance I saw a poster for a Dalaras concert and - Anna, it must have be the one we were together there without knowing us. There were several songs that remained in my mind: Παραπονεμένα λόγια, Ξένος για σένα, Μη μου θημώνεις μάτια μου.

This concert led me finally to G.D. , and from this time I did not loose contact any more. Saw him later in Duesseldorf (98) an in Den Haag (2001).

Good luck to you all.

Herbert

Seems we are 'old' friends, already 3 concerts of Dalaras together! :)

And you wrote about getting the informations about the concert just by chance! Well, it was the most important reason for me to buy a computer and to connect to internet, to get these informations!!

And the internet helps a lot!! ( especially this website :) )

Many Sunday greetings from an another "old friend", Anna. Remember, what different corners of the world we met each other up till now?

I wouldn't have found that Website and so many people without you. Thanks!!!!

It was in 1994 in Cologne, Germany

:D to give it a date, it was the 21st of October!!

And as I was a bit in trance ( as Annemarie decribed so nice!) this evening, I don't remember a lot of this concert!

But I never forget the 'ΔΙΔΥΜΟΤΕΙΧΟ Blues' Dalaras did that evening!! Just great!

I think Geske mentioned this thread to me when we all met in London, and I have since promised Christo that I would tell him when and where I first heard Dalaras, so here's my story.

Over the years, I have taken holidays in various European countries (Spain, Italy, Austria, France, Holland) which were all very enjoyable. Then in 1984 I went to Greece for the first time and was completely captivated! There is something about the country - the light, the language, the history, even the smell, and especially the people - that drew me back every year since. I now feel more at home in Greece than I do in England and have filled my house with Greek things collected during my travels.

Although I had always enjoyed the music I heard in Greece, I didn't give it the attention it deserved until about five or six years ago, when I decided the time had come to increase my knowledge and to take some back with me. But what to buy?

Skiathos was the destination that particular year, and it was in a taverna in Skiathos town (the Polykratis, for those who know the place) that a particular piece of music grabbed my attention. I asked the waiter who and what it was (a good chance to practice my Greek!) and he wrote out the details of the CD and artist for me. Then a couple of nights later I was in a different taverna (To Likofos, overlooking Megali Ammos beach) when I heard another piece of beautiful music. Again I asked what it was, again they wrote the details down for me - it was the same CD!! :confused: It was Iera Odos I and, of course, I had to buy it! The songs, by the way, were Enas Kompos Mi Hara Mou and secondly Ta Vengalika Sou Matia. The last one was particularly atmospheric. It was dark and we had finished our meal and were looking down over the beach from a height, watching a fishing boat out in the bay dropping a string of phosphorus lights into the water to help them catch the fish. And in the background was this beautiful music, the Voice and lyrics about "nyxterina karavia" .....

I took the CD home and played it constantly. The name Dalaras meant absolutely nothing to me at that time, so I was influenced and captivated solely by the quality of the voice and the music, and every time I returned to Greece I bought another of his CD's.

Because a lot of the songs are recorded live, I then began to want to go to a concert, but in England there was absolutely no information (I hadn't discovered Trehantiri at that time) and I had no access to the internet, so I resigned myself to never achieving that ambition.

Then in January 2001 I changed my job, and found that my new job didn't give me enough work to do. It did, however, give me internet access, and eventually, in my boredom, I did a search on Dalaras and was astounded at the amount of information I read! On the man himself, the huge amount of music he's recorded over the past thirty years and most important for me, access to this site. Thanks to the information on the Dalaras site, I have been to three Dalaras concerts in three months, and am shortly to go again. And also thanks to this site, it seems I can now fulfill a long-standing ambition to attend a concert at the Irodeio - a Dalaras concert no less!! :):D - I have a lot to thank Nikolas for!

And I think you know the rest ....... :D:confused:

Thank you, Diane!

Should you not know it yet (I wrote it already in an another thread), : "Ta vengalika sou matia" seems to be the most dangerous song of Giorgos Dalaras at all.

I had never had sleepless nights after hearing something or reading something, this song gave me two at once, and after hearing to Greek music for approximately 22 years and after long studies concerning literature and music. What should make me "vaccinated" against every kind of serious shock dealing with these arts.

It did not help by hearing of this song, I was completely overcomed for he whole two nights and three days without any break!!! Do you know the version from "The Ultimate Collection"? Or is the Iera Odos just the same recording? I don't know it, as I don't have this one CD.

A new hello to all!

I spent about 3 hours in reading all the pages in this topic, not accidentally, i was looking for it.

Pitty that I promisssed not to comment or tell my story. I fear the rejection of WHATEVER I say.. And I keep my promisses, not to a stuborn degree....

The only two things I WILL say is 1.that I am sure that we would not have quarrelled if I had read it previously OR if you people could have read some of my stuff, stuff from my soul and dalaras craze, and 2. I forgot what I meant to say since there is so much on my mind that I forbit to myself to say it, and when I remember I will say it, but instead I will say that what struck me the most is Kate's evidence of people complaining that Greek music and, or Dalaras is TOO EMOTIONAL! It sounds like I am too happy, so I want to be a little unhappy for achange...

Yasas manges!!

For a long time i have been following the site and reading all your wonderful messages. It is really exciting to see that so many people share my opinions, concerning o filos mas o Yorgakis. So, I want to share with you how i became addicted ton thie Yorgo.

For a long time i was interested in greek culture and the language, not to mention the greek music. But all i knew was hadjidakis, theodorakis, mouskouri ktl. Then one day, five years ago, i met a friend in Konstantinupoli who was greek (diladi Romyos, by the way don`t try to find them because you cannot, unfortunately they are less than 2000 :music: ) Anyway, as we were friends from panemistiu, he used to drop us to where we would go (kalo pedi ine etsi ). While we were in the car, he was always listening a cassette of only one clear and katapliktiki foni. Telos pandon, at that second i fell in love with the tragudistis and asked my friend to record some of his songs for me.

This is just an introduction... after waiting for five years, at last i managed to see Kirie Dalara. I followed him to Prespes, last summer. i am much indebted to you, all the kali anthropi who brougt the news that Yorgaki tha ine stin prespa. Sas euxaristo para para poli... From Konstantinupoli we drove car to prespes, and without sleeping we finally got there, to the albanian border. what a journey it was!!! telos pandon, this year also i went to athina ke ton zigo na do thn sinavlia tou yorgou. telia itane....

now, i think i can die in peace. it was a dream for me to see dalaras on stage, ke dokse si themu, it became true.

love you all, :music::):music:

Welcome in our community BICI !!! :)

But there is no need to die!!!!!! Now you are a member in this community!! You will have so much joy here!! We all love Dalaras and his wonderful music. He is such a great person!!

There is a topic " The healing effect........". You will see, after the daily problems, when you come home and hear Dalaras, everything is OK!!

That is my experience!! :music::music:

Franz :music:

Thank you Franz,

I know the very healing effects of Dalaras. Maybe this is another reason why i love him so much. You can`t just listen him and then go, it fills in you and never let you go. All the people i recommended Yorgo, although they didn`t know greek and didn`t understand a word he said, now became a fan of him. He is such a gift...

ta leme :music::music::music::music::music::music:

Bici, Franz, NIki:

:music::music::music::music::music::music::):):):):):):) (listening for an x-time since yesterday only one particular song....) One from the deep hidden treasure, btw.

And I found a very interesting article concerning musicotherapy, something we were looking for some time ago in the "healing effect" topic.

It is in Polish, so, "thelei douleia kai ipomoni".

But will be made.

Hi Bici, I'm a new member too and I'm very happy about it. If you don't mind I'll tell you a little bit of my own story. In 1991, I got a scholarship from the Greek government to study 8 months in Greece. I stayed there one year but unfortunately I didn't get the most of it for I wasn't exactly at my best at that time. Anyway, I came back to Portugal -my country- and later on, I had the opportunity to teach the basic rules of Greek - which was the only thing I could teach and I was accepted because noone, here in my city, spoke Greek at that time. The great consequence was that I learned much more Greek than I thought I could and then, I had to go with my students to Greece and there...well, I fell in love with that country. In fact, it was mostly a kind of falling in love that I had missed, when I lived there. My friends from there, were appalled at my knowledge of Greek, specially because I couldn't speak that much when I was living there. And all by myself (kind of forced to it too). Well, I went back there on holidays that same year. I had heard of the name Dalaras during my stay but I must confess that I didn't pay much attention. Back to Portugal, I offered a Dalaras CD or was offered one, can't remember. I started listening and it kind of grew on me. It was his live concert in Germany. My favourite till today. Then I bought 2 others (we have the FNAC here, it's a french bookshop, multimedia, CD shop) and lately, I bought one through the net: the Running Roads. I've been listening to it all the time, it has a fascinating quality, one becomes addicted. I'm just so sorry he doesn't perform in Portugal and I probably will never have the opportunity to see him live.

Well, that's it. I hope I didn't bother you too much. Welcome to the site!

dear Brett,

seuxaristo poli. i really enjoy reading the experiences of the group members, and its one of the reasons that i was too late to join the group. i couldn`t have much time to write because there are lots of things to read.

telos pandon, don`t worry that o Yorgos didn`t come to Portugal. I couldn`t see him in the country i live in, as well. and believe me, you have a bigger chance than i do. i want to recommend some cds of dalaras. well, i know that he meets amalia rodriguez. i dont think that they have a cd though. anyway, if you like latin songs, which i assume that you do, you should listen the LATIN album. also, if you can get one of his latest albums called APO KARDIAS, there you will see the song AMOR AMOR. i dont know if yorgo sings in portugese, but his spanish accent is very good, i should say. B)

very happy to meet you and KALOS IRTHE!!!!

and OIga, Franz sas filo B)B) , apo kardias

Hi, Bici

Thanks for the tips about the albums. Yes, I do like latin music, when it's good. (not really a Ricky Martin fan- no offense to those who like him) I'll try to buy the CDs you advised me about. As for Yorgos's spanish accent, I agree that it's quite good when he sings, I don't know if he can speak spanish, actually. As a matter of fact, Greeks should have a good accent when they speak spanish, some sounds are very similar. I'm quite sure Dalaras didn't record anything with Amália Rodrigues, but thanks for the information about their meeting. I suppose you know she passed away 2 or 3 years ago. You said you didn't have a chance to see him in your country, that's too bad (how far is it? if you don't mind my asking) I wish I could to Greece next year and have the chance to see him perform. Does anyone know if he will do any show during the Olympics?

kalinixta pedia, einai mesanixta tora. ( gosh, it's so strange to write with the latin alphabet...)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead