Geske

How I became addicted

160 posts in this topic

Christo asked me in another thread how I became a Dalaras fan, and since I was thinking of asking you all the same question, here's a new topic...

I'm going to be away for ten days or so and I will probably come back with suffering from Dalaras starvation, so I hope to find a few dozen pages of new posts to read :)

Here's the story - in tiresome detail but you don't have to read it all :)

In 1991, I was a student living in Leiden (our oldest university town). One day, in a bookshop, I met a most remarquable woman, who later became my landlady, and also the strangest and most fascinating friend I ever had. In fact I may say that I learned as much from her, as at university :)

One day we were having tea and I put on this tape of the Misa Criolla, with Jose Carreras singing. This is when she said 'oh, I've got a better version of that' and brought out the Dalaras record (a slightly warped LP). She knew Dalaras, I think, through political activism back in the '70s.

Well, she had already hooked me unto opera (Verdi in particular) but this was to prove even more spectacular. Pretty soon I was taping her record collection... Just about this time, Latin was selling like crazy and 'Mi milas..' was fairly new, and the latest CD I think was the Attikon concert.

In october we went to Dalaras' concert in Rotterdam. It was an unforgettable experience: there was the magnificent music, the charisma of the man himself - that smile! - and at the same time the intense frustation of not being able to manage the lyrics, of getting lost in too much unfamiliar music, of being unable to take it all in - in fact, of the concert being over before I'd had time really  to enjoy it.

Then a year or so later I had a weird sort of row with my friend and we didn't meet again for a long time. This was a great loss to me in many ways. Among other things, all I had left of Dalaras was two CD's and a bunch of tapes, and NO ONE to talk to! So I ended up playing them less and less...

Then, late last year, I was reading this fat academic book on prehistoric textiles and there were some quotations from the Odyssey in there. This caused me to get a battered second-hand Penguin of the Odyssey, which in turn proved to be a thundering good read, whereupon I felt I might as well put on some greek music. I had not heard Dalaras for a long time and it struck me all over again, only harder.

Then at Christmas I was visiting my sister in Geneva and we went to this new record shop and I found 'the ultimate collection' there. So I started to  believe in Father Christmas again and bought it!

Nikolas' site did the rest...

I also located that shop in Amsterdam and went there - Father Christmas again! - the very week in which the ticket sale started for the concert in May. So I bought some records, pre-ordered the new CD, went away, came back, bought a dictionnary... went home and started studying in earnest :)

And to cap all, at that same concert, besides going right through the ceiling with delight and singing my heart out as I had thought I  never would again... Believe it or not, I met my long-lost friend again, gave her a lift home, and made up.

So anyone who tells me Dalaras is not magic, I will laugh in their face!!!

On the other hand if you tell me I'm completely mad, I will have no quarrel with that.

Anyway, you see, though I have had Dalaras around for a long time, I really am a very lonely and ignorant sort of fan. Which must serve as an excuse for my deluge of posts on this forum!

Enjoy a quiet week, I'll be back!

It was of big interest for me to read Geeske's and Chris' stories. Even though my English is quite bad, I will add the description of how developed my own "acquaintance" with Dalaras - a story completely different from the two previous ones:

All started with (or even before) my first holidays in Greece, a lot of years ago. I travelled with some people who had already some experience in going to Greece and therefore they took with them a cassette (only one) with Greek music. We went by car and during our quite long journey they played this cassette again and again and so I became familiar with the songs I heard. Today (with two exceptions) I do not remember specific titles or singers but I think it was nothing with Dalaras. I kept only two songs in my mind: "Kaimos" with Grigoris Bithikotsis (his clear voice in this song was one of my first intense experiences with Greek music) and "Maria me ta kitrina" with Dimitra Galani.

After my return from the holidays Greek music was the vehicle to keep alive memories of the holidays, of Greece, of the sea etc.etc. - until the next journey to Greece would come. (Only later on I started to listen to this music "for itself".) At this early time I had no records, cassettes etc. with Greek music (perhaps except of two or three records in touristic style). I became acquainted with it exclusively by radio, listening to the broadcasts of Greek Radio Television (ERT) on shortwave and sometimes also on mediumwave. All the songs I liked I recorded on cassette (often in terrible sound quality). Of course at this time I did not know the Greek language and I had no idea of names from singers, composers etc. Gradually I realized that a number of songs (all very beautiful ones) were obiously interpreted by the same voice: a male voice, which sounded very soft, smooth and sad. A voice I was deeply fascinated and impressed of. My first experience with it were especially the following songs: Mi mou thimonis matia mou, Nichtose choris feggari, Kapion allon filises, Exo enan kafene, Sto kapilio, Kato ap' tin klimataria, Athina, Irth' o chimonas, Enas aponos aeras, ... Songs I listened to again and again.

That was the way I discovered Dalaras! I learned his name only much later (I do not rember when exactly and how). I was just deeply touched and fascinated by the voice and the songs. No other person said to me: "Listen to this singer", "Listen to this song", "This is a very popular Greek singer" or something similar. I discovered Dalaras absolutely autonomous - by my own taste and without influence of other people (o.k. - except the people from Greek radio who played his songs :)). The same happened with all other music styles, songs, singers I like (or dislike). And I think that this is the reason why until now I am still very independent of others in my feelings and convictions what I appreciate and what not in the field of music.

I do no not remember when I bought my first record with Dalaras. It was "Radar" which I found accidentally in a shop here in Vienna. Afterwards I started to order records directly from the company (Minos Matsas) in Athens - something that was always rather difficult as Matsas (as most of the other record companies) sold their productions to an individual consumer only with great reluctance. Most of the music (not only with Dalaras, of course) I always bought during my holidays in Greece, returning every time with heavy bags full of records (CDs did not exist yet). So it was a relatively long, laborious and expensive procedure - but I managed to build a quite big collection of records (respectively later on CDs) with Greek music which contains of course almost all productions with Dalaras :)).

The first time I saw him on stage was in Vienna (when he sung in a concert of Peter, Paul and Mary, dedicated to Amnesty International). He interpreted not more than five or six songs (I still remember "Chaidari" and "Ilie mou se parakalo" ). Later on I was fortunate to hear him at times in Athens (with Kougioumtzis, Tsitsanis, Theodorakis and others).

And here's my story: In April 1983 I visited Greece for the 1st time (Crete) and I feld in love with the country, the people, the way of life, the music,etc. I realized I have to go there another time to learn more about it. Oct. 1983 was the next time, Agios Apostolis, next to Oropos on the main land, opposite the island Evia.It was the end of the season and very familiar atmoshere in the hotel. At the bar, the last evening, they played greek music. And I heard a voice I liked very much from the 1st moment. So I asked for the name, Dalaras. The next day I left and at Athens airport I bought with my last drachmes the douple cassette ' ta tragoudia mou'. My greek at that time was kalimera, kalinichta. So in the shop I ask for a greek music singer: Dalaras and there's one song on it, called 'ola kala'. Because this I remembered!  Don't ask how often I listened to these cassettas ( without understanding the words, and of course there was no text with the cassettas). And no help in Germany. Some of my friends also went to Greece for holidays, but they only knew about 'Zorbas'. So I continued making holidays in Greece (always different places) and slowly, slowly I learned more and more. And I made the experience, that at the places, where they played Dalaras (no problem for me to recognize this voice at once!) I always found good company. And when they heard I'm from Germany and I know Dalaras, this always was a start for long conversations. Not only about him, also about the country, the problems, politics, the music in general, etc. I really got a lot of informations.

I just remember, when Dalaras was in Germany in 1998, there was a short interview with him at the german TV. He said:'There are also Germans who come to our concerts, they feel close to Greece, mostly because of their holidays. I hope, this will not be only a superficial relation, because Greece is more than just a tourist topic. With our music we try to bring the mythos of Greece more close.'

Dalaras doesn't know how successful he was with me!

But back to the story. It took a long time until I had the chance to see him live for the 1st time.

The worst thing happened when I came back from holidays in Greece the 15th of Oct. 1991. Next day I went to town to do some shopping. And at the edge of the street where I live I saw the poster: Dalaras in concert, Cologne, 14th of Oct. 1991!! By the way, this was the only time there was a poster, never again the last years.

But, maybe as an apologize for this missing concert, in Nov. 1991 there was a 45 min. film at German TV about Dalaras, his music, his town (Athens)and his intentions (Cyprus). Geeske, I didn't have video at this time!! But I learned a lot.

Finally in Oct. 1994 in Cologne I saw him live the 1st time! And it was great. It was more than great. To tell the truth, I can't describe. I just took a look at the following tour dates. So the next weekend I went to Hanau (3 hours with the train) to see him a 2nd time, without plan, without ticket! Of course ( pepromeno?) I met a greek/german girl with 2 tickets and her friend couldn't come. So I got this ticket and this time I wasn't this excited, so I was able to really enjoy the concert. And I promised myself in the future you try to see as much concerts as possible.

To take part at live performances of Dalaras is worth every effort. You get back so much!!!

My turn...

The story started when I was 12 years old, back in 1990. By that time, The only thing I knew about Dalaras was his name. Really, nothing else. If you asked me to tell you a song of his, I woudn't know.

In June of 1990 I went with my aunt to Turkey, to Konstantinoupolis (Istanbul). There, among other so interesting things, we visited the huge market of the city, Kapali Tsarsi, which includes thousands of small and big shops and is closed with a roof.(forgive me about my english). In one small shop, a very small one, we listened to a greek voice singing...it was Dalaras and the album was Mi milas mi gelas. My aunt was so surprised that she went inside the shop and asked the, around 50 years old, owner, how come he was listening to Dalaras. The question was in english, the answer came in greek. He said that he liked very much Dalaras and he has a friend in Athens who sends him the latest release etc. (by the way this album was 6 months new)

This impressed me very much. As soon as we returned to Alex/polis, I went to the records of my mum to look for Dalaras. I found only one album, Sergiani ston kosmo. My mum told me that we had another one (Vizantinos Esperinos) but I couldn't find this one, anyway I remained with Sergiani ston kosmo in my hands. I listened to this album and I loved it! The songs are not for a 12 years old boy but I liked it so much that every afternoon, after school and other lessons, I put the LP  to listen to it. Then, with the very small amounts of money that came to my hands, I purchased illegal tapes, copies of some of Dalaras' albums. The first I remember were Ta tragoudia mou, Na tane to 21 and Zontanes ixografisis. At that age I couldn't afford much so I didn't have any LPs. But in the meantime, we found Vizantinos Esperinos and so I had two LPs. But since 1990, no album of Dalaras gives me the impression that Sergiani ston kosmo did.

As I became older, I started buying older LPs (mainly) and CDs, only after the new releases came only in CD. The last LP I bought was "Methismena tragoudia", in 1995. In 1995 I passed the panhellenic exams for University for the school of my like. That summer, I wanted to see him live. I was not even 18 and my range was not very far. I learnt that on the 17th of August Dalaras would play in Xanthi. (120km from my town). I convinced some friends and we went. A family friend bought tickets for us. What I remember from this concert is not really the concert itself, although being the first it didn't really impress me, is the way we went back to Alex/polis. As there was no transportation at 1 in the morning, we decided to wait outside the town (we walked to there) and wait for a car to take us. And we took a big one, a TIR! I also remember how much we lied to the drivers of this vehicle, we told them that we were students and 22-24 years old (we were 17) and they seemed to believe us...

Anyway, being a student in Patra and growing up, I thought that Dalaras is 47 years old and he is giving concerts from 20. And he will stop maybe in 7-8 years. So I have missed the big part. And I decided to take as many chances as possible to see him live. And I believe I did it so far. The night I remember more is the 26th of December, 1997, in Iera Odos. I don't think I have ever heard him singing so well as during that night...

Well my turn!

I started listening to Greek music in London in the early 70's at Greek/Cypriot restaurants and my first Greek single which I bought in Corfu in 76 for Eparcho which I really liked.  

Then I came to Cyprus in 77 met my husband and started to listen to more Greek music.  I came to live here in 82 and have since been nearly every year to Dalaras concerts when I could.  

My husband remembers Dalaras when after the war in 74 he came and sung at the refugee camp where he was living at the time.  He sat on some wooden steps and played his guitar for the people there.  He did a lot for the people at that time.

One year can't remember exactly which, but I think in was 87, we saw his concert and went to a restaurant in Larnaca to eat afterwards that was owned by a friend and it was very late, but who should walk in to eat but Dalaras.  I got him to sign my programme and told him the concert was great.

I suppose I have really only been a major major fan in the last 4 or 5 years but have now seen him live about 20 times.  One of my favorite concerts was when he did the Latin programme, which was really amazing, far better than the CD.  For those who don't like the Latin CD, if you heard him singing and playing guitar I'm sure you would change your mind.

So now I go as often as I can and have about 20 CDs, but the concerts are SO much better than listening to the CD's.  I could go every night!!!!!

Anyway there you have it.

Ok looks as its my turn, since I originally asked Geeske this question.  

Mine is full of joy (mostly)and I'm afraid a bit of sorrow and painful one.

Brace yourself, for this will surely be a long letter.

It was early spring around 1983 and my father was waiting for his parea (in-laws) that evening.

I asked him , "where are you going"?  He said, "To see Dalaras".  and I said  who???

Once again he said Dalaras.  I asked whose that???

what does he do and all that jazz?

Well he told me it was a greek concert he was attending.  Later on that same month, the video tape of Live at 'Orfeas' was released and the record  'Ta Tragoudia Mou' surely followed.  

I can only tell you about how extraordinary of how much my father loved the concert and pointed out the key highlights from the program which were of the following:

1. Thelo Na Ta Po

2. Anastenazo Vyeni Fotia

3. Ahh O Baglmas

He told me how strong his vocals here were and why he loved it so much.  since we are both musicians we appreciated the strong authentic greek voice.  My standards for this reason were to come later on while listening to American-Greeks who sing with a heavy accent     YUCK!!!!  Thats a disgrace to  Greek Music!!

Based on this standard, it is because of Dalaras strong projection, smooth vibrato and such a vast range and depth on his voice why I love his vocals so much.

It was soon afterwards, I was constantly playing the video tape and listening to the cassette from the concert over and over again.  I must have worn it out, for my so-called friends (I showed off and bragged about too back at that time), complained of the poor quality which by the way was a copy from a copy.

I later had to re-buy it again as to have a good copy stored in my library.

I was no more then 13 years old at this time.  So Greek Music was fairly new to me and didn't no much about it;  Nor did I not  know much about other singers not along composures and lyrists like Kaldaras, Loizos, Daskalopoulos, Eleutheriou, Pythagoras, Kouyoumtzis and of course Papadopoulos.

For that matter, I thought the songs of Dalaras were all his he wrote and sang.

Besides Dalaras, I only knew a few of the other giants in that era.  I was acquainted with some of the works incorporated by Kazantzidis, Parios, Gavalas, Dionisiou and later Glykeria with Alexiou.

All of this was of course joyous, and indeed it was. I remember coming home form school listening to the tapes and watching the video and being fascinated and mesmorized by Dalaras magic and always wondered what it would have been like to have been there to see that magic live in front of me either on stage next to him or near the front row seats singing along and making requesets just like the audience did on the tape.  Well that dream didn't get to happen until 10 years later.

In the meantime though, I grew up with kids that were non Greek and mostly from the south strictly I'll call in slain 'hillbilly rednecks'.

They all were heavily listening at that time into heavy metal and other forms of rock.

Somehow they asked why I didn't know of Ozzy, Ac-Dc newest songs, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath  etc., etc.,

Hey I didn't know all of them. I wasn't into that stuff just like I then told them you probably never heard of Dalaas either.  

Boom devastating msitake!!!.

some jerk in class asks me in front of everyone, Chris can I ask you something and of course I said yeah go ahead.   He says, "  whats a dalara?  I replied,  "no not whats a dalara.  It's who is Dalaras?  Dalaras is a he and a man.  Not a noun or  a thing.  and then everyone asks what is and what does he do for we never heard of him. OK not so bad yet right? Wrong!

Well I told them he's a famous Greek singer from Greece and then asked me if has he ever toured here. Yes I replied, he has been on tour here in the states.  

Now,  please keep in mind at that time there was no such thing as Cultural Diversity or what we now have as World Music.  Forget about it becuase it didnt' exist back then.

You were either in their clicky realm or an outsider.  Well needless to say at that point of timeframe,  I was the foreigner and not welcomed openhearted (despite the fact I was born here) about it either.

Man,  They teased me heavily.  I recall them saying now,  what do you like to listen to that Geek Music for?     You stupid geek they used to say.  

I was pissed off to even now. Hey thats my heritage and I'm proud of it just like you would be too if the shoes were reversed.

From then on, I still liked Dalaras but never made it public knowledge about that to no one who wasn't of Greek descent.

The more I got teased about being Greek, the less I stopped following his cd's until after high school.  

I had to listen to the rock music again  like

Bon-Jovi and Kiss  just so I could click in with eveyone in high schoold and fit in the norm.      

Remeber the slogan. when your in Rome, you do what the Romans do.

Well it wasn't upon graduation, I had acquired the Latin album from my folks when they visited in Greece that summer.  Boy oh boy,

I was hooked again and have been ever since. The magic and goosebumps soon re-appeared.

I can't even remember the first cd (since they started to mass produce Greek Cds) I bought of his.  It might have been The Greek Voice and of course the last one I bought  recently is the new cd "Asphaltos Pou Trehi.

As of today, I have almost all the cd's not too mention the cassettes, videotapes and records too.

Can't wait for Dvd's now.

It was not until after I moved from that Hick city that I came across some Greek Friends who were studying at the local College with me that I too was attending in my hometown, and we soon discovered a likeness in common. For we both loved Dalaras and his music.

In fact, my Greek friends at this time and I hung around for many years after graduation and we all went to go see him in concert when he came to Detroit.  We found the promoter and tried to get in back stage to greet him before the concert began but SHE wouldn't let us.   She was being quite RUDE!

I can understand her professionalism she had to maintain and all that stuff about not letting in spectatotors in but she could have said to come back later after the show was over.

Well she didn't!  That ruined the whole nite from there.  But still the concert was fantastic because I had finally got to see Dalaras live.   He had toured previously in the states back in 1988, but I still couldn't see him then for we were in the gists of moving, and nor was he  touring in my city at that time either.

The following year in Chicago, I made sure to see him after the show that way I was not disturbing him during his sound check and rehearsal preparations he needs before the program starts.  In fact we were listining to Dalaras most of the way there primarily the Latin and Mi Milas albums until my friends said, "enough of this were not going to enjoy the concert now'.  LOL

So with me its been a long joyful journey ( a little bumpy, rough, + shakey in the beginning though)in following Dalaras career.  I am more of a fan now then I ever was before and probably wouldn't change a thing, but not so much my father anymore. But thats ok because Dalaras has a new allegiance of fans that appears to still be growing more each year worldwide.

Thats why I am now pleased to hear that there are so many non Greeks who love Dalaras like me and have the found magic he brings to everyone.  

What gets me most is all the stupid Grammy and Juno awards they have evey year to the American/British-Canadian musical artists.

And when they annouce the World Music selection, maybe one out of 2 will be from Latin America and the rest here all in the United States??    

Phooey!!   you call that World Music?  everything now adays seems to revolve around Hip-hop, rap, (which is nothing more than crap) reggae, and techno.

All of which I feel is junk and has destroyed the music industy.  

If americans could only open their eyes and hearts to the beauty of good recording artists like Dalaras and others too of his stature and caliber,

they too can then appreciate the beauty and magic they have to bring.

The more the reason why I'm hoping Dalaras will get to sing one or two numbers during the Olympics either the opening and/or closing ceremony.  That way the goofy americans can then hopefully appreciate something and someone really good instead of all that rap and crap they listen and dance to now.

Such as: Spears, and stuff like that where only sex appeal draws the crowd and no doubt leads to the high record sales.

But somehow, the english languare always places a barrier on cross culture diversity.

Why did Yanni not feature any Bouzouki or Greek singing at the end of his concert 'Live at the Acropolis'? especially when he was performing in Greece? And instead had these opera singers come out and sing I think in French? And worse yet , when he toured in Australia, he did feature a native Aborigine play the Digeradoo, but couldn't show any patriotism for Greece especially since he is Greek?  Sounds like a double standard to me.

Ohh and here's a good one. How about  the Miss Universe Pagaent held almost

2 years ago in Cyprus? Anna Vissi sang live in there on TV and that the host Sinbad had annouced she would sing something new from her cd, yes in English of all things.

Here they had a Latin singer  come out and sing in Spanish  and then when they have with them a native Greek or should I say Cypriot   to come out and sing in English.     

Big Big disappointment.

Donald Trump obviously does not promote Ethnic Diversity! He should have made a rule to the exception here being he was in Cyprus, but probably feared americans wouldn't like or accept it since they can't understand the language.  We were lucky enough he let her sing in english as it was. A coincidence Vissi was getting ready to release her english cd.

No wonder Dalaras today and all along in the past has shun the star system.   Bravo! too Dalaras to still promote Hellenism worldwide wherever and whenever he goes and appears on stage.

Thank you for listening

and hope I didnt' bore you too much with my long letter.

(Edited by Christo at 7:47 pm on July 28, 2001)

WOW!

Just back from a week among Vikings and, as predicted, suffering from Dalaras starvation... and here are all these wonderful stories...

I've got an episode to add to mine, a rather funny one which I hope you will enjoy:

When I left for Denmark last Saturday, I took the opportunity to go via Amsterdam - I get to go there only rarely and there is a shop there specializing in Greek books and music. So there I was, my heart thumping with expectation, my shopping list clutched in my hand... I was SO glad I had asked around and made that list, or I would NEVER have managed to choose anything. As it was I bought O methikos and Hymnos angelon se rythmous anthropon, which were on the list, and the Misa Criolla, which was not ;)  then I left an order for the rest of the list. Then I got some more books to study greek from.

At last I left the shop and went back to my van, which was parked nearby on a corner by a coffee-shop. It was a horrible grey day, dark clouds hanging low over the ugly red brick buildings... but I felt flooded with private sunshine. As I climbed into the van I realized that I could not wait any longer. I had to hear! So I dug out the discman, put on O methikos, lit a cigarette, and sat there, leaning on the wheel, listening.

A one point I looked up, and there was this policeman standing in front of the van looking at me in a funny way.

I realized then how I must look! My van is a 27 year old VW van, your typical hippie vehicle (with the little round headlights that look like eyes - we call the van 'Oogjes', that's  'Matakia' in Greek). My headphones were hidden in my hair, and I was parked in front of an Amsterdam coffee-shop, and sat there smoking, with a happy, no, an utterly blissful grin on my face... so the obvious explanation was that I must be sky-high on something!

And I was, of course :)

So he came and inquired wether I was all right. I told him I was... just very very happy... Amsterdam policemen are cool, he just checked my tobacco, believed me and went away again.

Yes, I WAS sky-high - but not on any kind of dope - on PURE unadulterated DALARAS!

And oughtn't he to be banned for being highly addictive?? :)

Oh, didn't put Elvis and Dalaras in the same boat.. Bah, Elvis is someone people know the most because of media boasting. I believe Nick Cave is a great substitute and well less known. Dalaras is better than Elvis in many ways. Three I's. = p

Christo, Geeske, and Chris and whoever I missed. God bless you all. Christo your post was superb, and I loved it. Ethnic Diversity still goes on today, just people don't understand the language and they are afraid. I've loved Dalaras ever since I was 12 *is 20 now* Oh and I also like the Hard Rock music, MEtallica, Ozzy etc, but I tend to listen to Dalaras more. I am happy being a Dalaras fan.

Hey, A.A., I like hard rock too (grew up with Metallica and Iron Maiden, oh yes, I've skelettons in the closet), but DON'T say things like that about Elvis, you'll get yourself lynched B) Chris' tongue has a very sharp edge when he is annoyed.

Anyway I disagree with you about the King. He's not my great man but he is a GREAT man nonetheless.

You said 42! Life, the Universe and Everything!!!

(I zoi, o kosmos kai ta panta - or something of the kind).

A.A., I warned you...

Chris, I wish you wouldn't rub it in about Springsteen. I really, really loved him - still do actually - and that makes the fact that you are right all the more painful.

Do you know that movie in which the catholic Irish father of a large family has a portrait of the Pope hanging in the place of honour over the family dinner table, and a portrait of Elvis *above* it?

Where would you put Dalaras?

Chris, you were not rude to A.A., you were telling the truth... (Or is that a worse accusation? B)  )

And where do you think I'd put an autographed pic of Dalaras, if I had one??? IF!!!!!!!!!

Chris

I don't doubt what you say but the photo in the intro page was autographed for me by Dalaras on the 16th of October of 1997.

While you guys boast of your treasures, I've been making new addicts!

Someone (I think Andreas) once said somewhere on this forum that you don't get people to appreciate Dalaras by talking about it, but by forcing them to listen.

So I tried (last week)! Five innocent younsters cooped up in that ancient van of mine for a 14 hour drive - two tapes of the Beatles, two of Springsteen and 8 of Dalaras!

Despite the noisy engine and the moribund tape-player, I actually managed to play two whole tapes before they balked.  If you'd heard the worse-than-awful sound quality, you'd know this is nothing short of a miracle.

It's Dalaras magic again - and it gets better: one of my passengers actually begged my tape of 'ta tragoudia mou' off me to listen to at home!

Bless her ears...

Chris, did I sound disapproving? I truly did not mean to!! On the contrary!! Of course you're proud and so you should be!!!

I envy you a bit of course :)

But even that can be enjoyable.

Chris

You have sent me several photos and most of them are in the website. And the photo in the introduction page too. I said clearly that I don't doubt what you say. I just added that Dalaras signature wasn;t in this photo. I put him to sign it. That's all.

By the way, Geeske, I don't really have so many Dalaras stuff to be proud of and really I didn't intend to show anything as I don't really have such stuff as Chris. I have most songs (99% maybe) and what I have and maybe not many people have are just songs again, only they don't exist in CD. As for what I am proud of, I am proud of my recent University degree...:)

Treasures....too many......who cares......you know what the best treasure for me is. The cd case. That's where I go when I want to feel alive. As for the rest (pictures, autographs, letters, taped conversations) , they are in the shoe box. For years now. The cd's though (and the LP's) are out there. For me to listen to. Everyday. As for the degree. Nikola, congratulations once again. Don't put it up the wall. What you earn is in your brain and your heart.

This thread seems to have gone a bit off-topic - and that's pity because there are more addiction tales waiting out there, I can feel it...

Won't you tell us?

OK.  Ive had a great time reading all the postings over the past few weeks, so I think its time I participated and helped bring this thread back on track.

It was just over two years ago.  Id been teaching myself Greek for about six months (already three months longer than originally planned as Id only intended to learn stuff like a moussaka and a greek salad please but found it was more interesting and difficult than I expected)  Anyway I started going to a class at Easter 1999.  One day our teacher told us Dalaras was going to be giving a concert in London. (This was the concert at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in May 1999)  Id read a small piece about him in the Lonely Planet guide to Greece, so I went out of curiosity.  After the instrumental intro I expected the great ego to leap on stage complete with medallion and leather trousers (sorry but I think this was my stereotype of Mediterranean singers).  What happened then of course is unnecessary to describe to anyone reading this website.  All I can say is that the effect was stunning.  The voice was incredible and the music quite beautiful.  I think I spent the next two or three weeks in a complete daze.  I started collecting the CDs and also discovered that their depth and complexity meant that you never got tired of them.  Geeske described how awesome it was to think that Dalaras had been singing for almost the whole of his (Geeskes) life.  I can assure you its even more awesome to think that he has been singing the whole of your adult life.  It still appals me when I realise how much time Ive wasted.  That means going to all the concerts I can.  New York in November 1999 (I think it was Chris that posted the information about this, so thanks), London again last year, and this year Athens, London and Frankfurt.  Im stuck in London at the moment so am pretty miserable about missing the Greek tour.

So, cynical middle aged feminist turns into huge fan of Greek singer.  Dont really understand it but there it is.  (But it does mean that in the last few years Ive heard the best live music imaginable and met some great people).  

There are a lot of points that have been made all over this website that I can identify with.  The versatility of Dalaras.  The fact that his many collaborations mean discovering Dalaras also means discovering the best of Greek music generally.  The problem with your friends (know what you mean about that Geeske but congratulations on your latest success).  At first I thought all I had to do was play a CD and Id have another convert.  How wrong I was.  Whether it was my childrens generation or my own the effect was much the same.  Its Greek?  Thats a bouzouki?  Ah (weak smile at this point) it reminds me of holidays  There were variations like it all sounds the same!!! and its a bit emotional isnt it?  (these oddly from people who love opera and pride themselves on being music buffs).  What I never seem to have encountered is open ears and minds.  At first I got quite upset but now I dont really care since I think its their loss.

Great there's another English person out there.  Hi Kate.

If you can join in with the translations you are more than welcome, as the more brains the better.

Kate ,welcome to the club and you make a great point..Dalaras does not do the leather pants and flashy cloths.He does not do the rock star image thing as most of the other new greek(sfagianakis,etc.) artists do..He is simply an incredible and complete musician..He not only has an incredible voice but he takes pride in his instrument playing.He is a very respected guitarist .It is not just a prop.....He is as modest and humble off stage as he is on stage...Thats why he is the greatest!!! One other point about Dalaras.The whole time i spent with him which was three days total,he not ever used any foul language,in fact he was so ,articulate,intelligent,respectful and polite...I was amazed but not surprized.He always had my respect on stage but after spending time with him he totally impressed me off stage!!

Kate, thanks for the sympathy - it does help to know that it's not my friends in particular who are especially stupid!!

Incidentaly, I'm a she - sorry, I really ought to have said this before as I know I have a confusing first name. I wonder how many have wondered - and how many have missed their guess :)

Geeska ..You are a "SHE"..Oh my god!!! and i thought you were funny when you mentioned Dalaras was nice looking and shaped well...Now its all falling into place.Actually, i knew you were a girl(lady),i was  just kidding!!! I guess you can still be in the club even though your a "SHE" he,he,he

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead