Geske

How I became addicted

160 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was just told about this topic, and I'd like to add to it. My name is Louise and I live in the U.S. A former friend of mine introduced me to Dalaras' music. I found his style of singing and the music he recorded much to my liking and wanted to find out more about him. There is so much soul in his singing. I like most of what I heard from his Latin cd and Gloria and Nights is one of my favorites.

I hope some day to be able to hear him in concert.

I don't understand Greek, so I feel I'm missing a lot of good responses. I hope to get to know many of you.

Louise

Hello everybody,

As promised, here is the way I discovered Dalaras.

As I told it in a previous message it is not really a "story".

I simply discovered him when I was watching the cloture ceremony of the Olympic games in 2004.

I'll always remember me : I began watching and after a certain time (that's wy I didn't hear Stou Thomas) I had a phone calling of a friend. I just come back when they show the war dance and I was still thinking of what my friend has just told to me, not really watching the T.V ...... and suddenly I heard the lament, the beginning of Mana mou Ellas, and my attention was catched..... more I was really fascinated by this song and especially by the voice (so soft and tender) of Dalaras, even if it was only a short version and the sound on T.V was not really good.

But it was not very important, the magic of Dalaras was already operating....

I watch the ceremony until the end hoping he will appear again, but he did not. After that I was frustated because I did not recorded the ceremony and it felt the need to hear this voice again.

The next day I asked everybody in my family if they perhaps recorded it. And, fortunately, my father did. I recovered the video cassette and searched immediately for the song, listened to it again and again (now the cassette is worn). I too discovered the song Stou Thomas which I also liked very much.

Every day when I came back from work I watched the recording. I did not understand what was happening to me and thought at that time that I will get tired from listening Dalaras...... but not at all !

On the contrary, I wanted to discover other songs of him. So I went to the FNAC, a CD shop, but no CD of Dalaras. Great was my disappointment !

But two weeks later we went to Fribourg in Germany and I took the occasion to go in a big CD shop. And there I found PORTRAIT, TRIBUTE TO VAMVARAKIS and RUNNING ROADS.

For choosing which one I'll buy, I listened to some extracts of each in the shop. The first one was PORTRAIT and as I began listening a big smile appears on my face. I immediately adored it. And the other two also. So I bought the three CD's. I remember that my husband and my son did not understand why I bought 3 CD's of a singer which I did not know at all (but the most important was that I understand it)

I can't wait to be at home for listening them and I was not disappointed.

The magic of Dalaras has really operated on me and I was definitively addicted.

During the next monthes, only one need : find other CD's.

I found AMAZON on internet where I bought THE ULTIMATE COLLECTIION, THE GREEK SPIRIT, THE GREEK VOICE, LIVE AND UNPLUGGED and DALARAS & THE ISRAELPHILARMONIC ORCHESTRA (a real jewel) and others...

I also bought songs via the I-TUNES store, and I think I contributed to the development of the DALARAS section in buying all the songs they sale !!!

Actually I am listening to METHISMENA TRAGOUDIA : wonderful ! But as I bought it on the I-TUNES store I have not the Lyrics. I will try to get them.

In the meantime I tried to find a maximum of informations on internet concerning his life, his thoughts and here too I was not disappointed.

And of course I discovered this site and I am happy to be a member now.

I always loved all kinds of music, especially opera, but I was never really fan of a singer.

DALARAS is the exception. For me he is the GREATEST because I adore :

- his voice which is touching me because it is full of nostalgy, tenderness, humanity, and the potential of his voice which is great as it can be very powerfull (for example when I listen to the songs Libertadores, O mare e tu, Caruso I have flesh creep !)

- the lyrics of his songs (when I have the translations)

- his ability to sing different kinds of songs, and in different languages (without any accent)

- he is a complete musician

- the fact that he is humble and modest

- his political ideas

- his charisma, his very expressive face, his wonderful smile

- the way he transported his public when he is on stage

and through him I discovered the rebetiko songs and other greek singers, especially Haris Alexiou and Glykeria.

There is no day without listening to his songs (I know a lot of them phonetically by heart !).

Anytime I am sad, stressed by work or happy, I have the need to listen to them.

And as he has a very large repertoire, I thinck I will never get tired from him.

That's why ..... Dalaras for ever.......

I am happy to share this passion with all of you.

Margot thank you for sharing your story with us!! Great story!!

Welcome to the forum and the magic of Dalaras! I'm sure you will find a lot of information about Dalaras!! B)

I listen to George since I was born! I don't know but I have a feeling, a feeling that I believe that you also have... You feel George as one of your relatives,as a very good friend, whom you have in difficult times... Am I right (or not)?

I listen to George since I was born!

:music: yes, because you' re Greek.

Much more amazing to learn about European who are 'stroke' by Dalaras :wow: And it's like always, you like him, or not. Nothing inbetween is possible. Margot, welcome to the 'mad' ones :pity:

as for the METHISMENA TRAGOUDIA

If you open this link you get the titles of the songs:

http://www.dalaras.com/diskoi/albums/methy...a_tragoudia.htm

if you click on the songs, you get the lyrics, in Greek

if you want to get the translation, well try if the song is already listed in Kates list:

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?s=1...=20entry43272

If the songs doesnt have already a translation, well ask for it :)

Margot thank you for sharing your story with us!! Great story!!

Welcome to the forum and the magic of Dalaras! I'm sure you will find a lot of information about Dalaras!! :)

Thank you very much !

It was a real pleasure and especially a NEED to share my story with persons who will understand me.

I am sure I will effectively find a lot of informations but the site is so wide ! It will take me a certain time for getting all the informations, but it is a pleasure to do it !

I listen to George since I was born! I don't know but I have a feeling, a feeling that I believe that you also have... You feel George as one of your relatives,as a very good friend, whom you have in difficult times... Am I right (or not)?

Yes you are totally true.

And I think it is also the "healing effect" of Dalaras !!

I listen to George since I was born!

:) yes, because you' re Greek.

Much more amazing to learn about European who are 'stroke' by Dalaras :D And it's like always, you like him, or not. Nothing inbetween is possible. Margot, welcome to the 'mad' ones :)

as for the METHISMENA TRAGOUDIA

If you open this link you get the titles of the songs:

http://www.dalaras.com/diskoi/albums/methy...a_tragoudia.htm

if you click on the songs, you get the lyrics, in Greek

if you want to get the translation, well try if the song is already listed in Kates list:

http://www.dalaras.com/forum/index.php?s=1...=20entry43272

If the songs doesnt have already a translation, well ask for it :)

Thank you Anna for your informations concerning METHISMENA TRAGOUDIA.

I'll try to get them !

Μόλις έκανα μια... επανάληψη ( :blink: - δηλαδή ξαναδιάβασα το topic) και πρόσεξα στην περιγραφή του Θανάση μια λεπτομέρεια που δε την είχα προσέξει πιο πριν... Σ' ένα σημείο γράφει τα εξής:

Όταν κυκλοφόρησαν τα ΨΗΛΑ ΤΑ ΠΑΡΑΘΥΡΙΑ , το άκουσα απ'το ραδιόφωνο (στις διαφημιστικές εκπομπές της ΜΙΝΟS )κάποια Κυριακή πρωί.Το βράδυ είπα στον θείο μου "Θείο, ο Νταλάρας έβγαλε δίσκο, θα μου τον πάρεις; :blush:  " Tην άλλη μέρα τον είχα. Έπαθα κάτι με το ΕΧΕΙΣ ΤΗΝ ΠΟΡΤΑ ΣΟΥ ΚΛΕΙΣΤΗ.Νόμιζα ότι ακούω ένα μικρό παραπονιάρικο παιδί να τραγουδάει... Δυστυχώς το πόστερ του δίσκου χάθηκε σε μια μετακόμιση... :(  :mad:  

Και ήθελα να κάνω την εξής παρατήρηση: απ' ότι ακούω από πάρα πολλούς, έχουν χάσει πολλά πράγματα (δίσκους, περιοδικά, διάφορα αγαπημένα αντικείμενα...) κατά τη διάρκεια μετακομίσεων! Η μάνα μου και ο θείος μου (ο αδερφός της) είχαν παλιά κάποιους δίσκους του Νταλάρα, τους οποίους έχασαν σε μετακόμιση! Έτσι, εγώ βρήκα στο σπίτι έτοιμους μόνο 3 δίσκους...

Κι εδώ πρέπει να πω κάτι που ανακάλυψα πρόσφατα (σε κάποιους το 'χω πεί ήδη). Η μάνα μου έγραφε πάντα πάνω στους δίσκους της τα αρχικά της. Κάποια στιγμή λοιπόν βρήκα στο Μοναστηράκι ένα 45άρι με το "Νάτανε το 21" (όχι με την Τουρκοπούλα, αλλά την εκτέλεση που έχει τη διαφορετική ορχήστρα), που στην άλλη πλευρά έχει το "Κάπου στα Πετράλωνα" με τον Πάριο. Και πάνω στην ετικέτα του είχε γραμμένο ένα "ΕΚ". Κάποια στιγμή ρώτησα τη μάνα μου μήπως είχε σε 45άρι το "Νάτανε το 21". Μου είπε ότι πρέπει να το είχε, χωρίς να είναι και σίγουρη όμως... Όταν της έδειξα το δισκάκι και αναγνώρισε το γραφικό της χαρακτήρα και το θυμήθηκε! :(:mad: Όντως ήταν το δικό της και το έχασε κι εκείνη κατά τη διάρκεια μετακομήσεων! Αυτό βγήκε το '70. Τώρα έχουμε 2006. Δεν είναι τρομερο; Μετά από 36 χρόνια το δισκάκι ήρθε πάλι στα χέρια μας!!! :wow::wow: :wow: :):blush::blush::music::music::music:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead