Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Κι αν σε θέλω

24 posts in this topic

Would you believe, we never did a translation of this one?

At least, I looked for it and couldn't find it. So here we go... ΟΠΑ!!

ΚΙ ΑΝ ΣΕ ΘΕΛΩ | EVEN IF I WANT YOU

|

Μουσική: Goran Bregovic |

Στίχοι: Μιχάλης Γκανάς |

|

Κι αν σε θέλω κι αν με θέλεις τίποτα δε βγαίνει | Though I want you, though you want me, nothing [can] come of it,

στο μεσαίο το κατάρτι είμαστε δεμένοι | to the main mast [of the ship] we are tied fast.

|

Με τα χέρια στον αέρα μόνη σου χορεύεις | With your arms in the air, alone, you're dancing,

και με δένεις και με λύνεις κι όλο με μπερδεύεις | and you bind me and unbind me and always you trick me.

με τα πόδια μεθυσμένα και χωρίς τις γόβες | On feet drunken and without shoes

σ' ένα έργο δίχως τέλος όλο κάνεις πρόβες | in a play without an ending you are always [only] rehearsing.

|

Κι αν σε θέλω κι αν με θέλεις τίποτα δε βγαίνει | Though I want you, though you want me, nothing [can] come of it,

στο μεσαίο το κατάρτι είμαστε δεμένοι | to the main mast [of the ship] we are tied.

|

Με τα χέρια σηκωμένα κάπου θες να φτάσεις | With your arms raised high you are reaching for somewhere,

μιαν αόρατη κορδέλα προσπαθείς να πιάσεις | an invisible ribbon you are stretching to catch.

με τα μάτια σου κλεισμένα μέσα μου κοιτάζεις | With your eyes closed you look right through me

σαν ολάνοιχτο βιβλίο πάλι με διαβάζεις | like a wide open book you are reading me.

I love this song. Don't remember how many times I danced on this song.

About 'τις γόβες' (only remark I will make), I remember it translating, years ago in Greek class. Back than we translated it as high heels (on shoes of course). Did my teacher teach me right?

Micki

Geeske, I don't think there is anything that needs to change here, well done!  :D

:rolleyes:

Astron helped me out with the invisible ribbon, you know.

For "γοβά" my dictionary gives two meanings: "pump" and "slipper, house shoe". Pump of course in the meaning of high-heeled shoe, not waterpump!

If you translate χώρις τις γόβες as "without high heeled shoes", I guess you can read it as "wearing low-heeled shoes"; but I took it to mean "without shoes of any kind" - like the girl was wearing pumps but kicked them off and raised her arms and started... oh well, Micki, you know how to do it!!

Geske, I know. Just being a teaser. I trust your translations completely.

'puntjes op de i', you know. :D

Micki

ΚΙ ΑΝ ΣΕ ΘΕΛΩ | EVEN IF I WANT YOU

Μουσική: Goran Bregovic

The music is NOT by Goran Bregovic, Geeske! (see all our posts about Bregovic and this song). It is an Algerian traditional song...

Ya Rahay

Introduction:

Written by Abderrahmane Amrani, better known as Dahmane El Harrachi (1926-1980), one of the most popular and revered singers among North African immigrants in France and elsewhere. El Harrachi wrote several laments on what being an immigrant is about. This song crudely and realistically highlights a recurring theme in the Algerian repertoire: Exile and its painful consequences. In essence it says: "Candidate to exile, whatever your destination, one day or the other you will return to your starting point." It means that the thought of homecoming is ever present in the minds of first generation immigrants, who are inmates in their own inner Alcatraz.

To preserve the song's originality , it's written in Arabic/Algerian dialect.

Source: Rachid Taha, Album Diwan

Chorus

Ya rayah win msafar trouh taaya wa twali

Chhal nadmou laabad el ghaflin qablak ou qabli (bis)

Chhal cheft al bouldan laamrine wa lber al khali

Chhal dhiyaat wqat chhal tzid mazal ou t'khali

Ya lghayeb fi bled ennas chhal taaya ma tadjri

Tzid waad el qoudra wala zmane wenta ma tedri

(Chorus)

Aalach qalbek hzine waalach hakdha ki zawali

Matdoum achadda wila tzid taalem ou tabni

maydoumou layyam walay doum seghrek ou seghri

Ya hlilou meskine li ghab saadou ki zahri

(Chorus)

Ya msafer naatik oussaayti addiha el bakri

Chouf ma yeslah bik qbal ma tbia ou ma techri

Ya nnayem djani khabrek ma sralek ma srali

Hakdha rad el qalb bel djbine sabhane el aali

© Abderrahmane Amrani (a.k.a Dahmane El Harrachi)

Traditional ? An Algerian rai song ("rai" means opinion in Arabic) in fact, a genuine and beautiful one... I still don't believe that it was "Written by Abderrahmane Amrani", but I like the idea which needs investigation...

How about

"written down by Aderrahmane Amrani" ?

That's not unlikely, is it?

Very appropriate, indeed...

I don't understand much of the Algerian dialect (I read classical Arabic), but as I can see, the Greek lyrics have nothing to do with the original Algerian ones.

Το ραϊ (RAI) είναι το ρεμπέτικο της Αλγερίας. Αν θέλετε να ακούσετε αυτό το καταπληκτικό είδος μουσικής, σας συμβουλεύω τον Cheb Mami, μια καταπληκτική φωνή

Rai is the rebetiko or blues or fado, or tango of Algeria. If you want to have a try at this amazing type of music, I advise you to listen to Cheb Mami, an amazing voice! :D:D:music: Probably the best one amongst the young singers (he must be a little younger than GD). Of course, Dalaras is quite good at singing "Κι αν σε θέλω", as it is "eastern" music, but I do prefer it in Arabic, sung by a rai singer. :)

Well, what discoveries can be made by such things! For xample: did you know, that we recognize the refrain of "Smyrneika tragoudia" here in Poland as an old Ukrainian song, exactly to say from the Ukrainian living in the east of the old Poland borders?

A ridiculos concidence for these "goves" from the song: as I did today my suitcase to my wardrobe after the Berlin journey, I put out a pair of the only high-heeled shoes I could have in my life - and decorated with them, smiling, the shelf where Kyrios Giorgos' autograph is to be seen - as a little symbol for these things which seemed impossible before I got to know some of his songs....

There is no a suitable smilie for such things here yet - Nikola, help.

Olgitsa

Yes, Olga, but nobody, not even Dalaras, has ever doubted that "Κι αν σε θέλω" was an Algerian song... :D

Btw, which "Smyrneiko tragoudi is a Ukrainian song?

Of course, ena tragoudi apo t'Algeri... Is that so, that for the Greek people the land does have the same magic as Greece has for the rest of Europe? Or was this "apo t'Algeri" only a coincidence?

What do the Greeks think?

"Ta smyrneika tragoudia:, Iera Odos II.

Exactly "Dla Hucula nie ma zycia jak na poloninie", that is: there is no life better for Hucul people, as only on mountain meadows.

Everything OK, Francois? Let me hope so.

Olgitsa

I don't think your right Olga. The song ΤΑ ΣΜΥΡΝΕΊΚΑ ΤΡΑΓΟΥΔΙΑ is with the music of Παντελής Θαλασσινός and the lyrics are by Ηλίας Κατσούλης.

Maybe they did a copy in polnish afterwards!

Of course, ena tragoudi apo t'Algeri... Is that so, that for the Greek people the land does have the same magic as Greece has for the rest of Europe? Or was this "apo t'Algeri" only a coincidence?

I think you are mixing up everything, Olga...

No way, Francois, I was only trying to describe one song (KI'an se thelo) using the title of the other one.

:D:razz::razz:

Instead of "thimoning" me you could, as an experienced one, try to answer my questions for Kaldaras-recitation in Mikra Asia. Don't tell me, please, you don't know the question, it was posted here already 5 or 6 times.

:rolleyes::razz::blush::blush::blush:

Olgitsa

Ach, Anna, tut mir leid, the Ukrainian song I mentioned was printed for the first time already 1843, and published by a family memeber of Joseph Conrad, whom you know perhaps as the author of "Lord JIm". His Polish family name was Korzeniowski.

I meant before not the whole "Smyrneika", but the refrain of it . Are then some musical idioms of Ukraine and Great Greece so similar to each other? Possible!

Do you know why I believe that? Because, for example, the "Martira ta" of Bregovic became, with a total other text, Number One under the Polish wedding song in the last years! And Kayah - we saw her announced for today in Berlin on the Museumsinsel - was a person who caused that with her voice.

O.

Olga, for your not answered question, just an advice!

Open a new topic and every day without answer, you post the question again! :D

Anyway, I do know that a few Ukrainian musical instruments have Greek names, and do not forget that there were Greek people all around the Black Sea...

And the Ukrainian were sitting on the other side of Black Sea - being the Polish nationals till 1795, when the final division of our state came.

The Greeks were exporting their sweet vines from Monemvasia even to Posen in the center of Poland for long centuries. Posen is the city which still has Greek citizens living there.

So, I think, this "Smyrneika" is not a coincidence.

Olga

And the Ukrainian were sitting on the other side of Black Sea - being the Polish nationals till 1795, when the final division of our state came.

The Greeks were exporting their sweet vines from Monemvasia even to Posen in the center of Poland for long centuries. Posen is the city which still has Greek citizens living there.

So, I think, this "Smyrneika" is not a coincidence.

Olga

Mutual influences, the sharing of differences, this is an aspect of the future of humanity...

This topic was about a famous Algerian song.

Here's a link to a very nice site about Om Kalsoum (Um Kalthum), the greatest Arab singer of all times, and to make it shorter, probably the greatest singer of all times:

http://www.omkolthoum.com/flash.htm

On this site, you can listen to almost all her love, political and religious songs, watch parts of her videos and enjoy all the composers of the modern Arab world.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0