John Akritidis

Από καρδιάς - Ζωντανή ηχογράφηση στον Ζυγό

324 posts in this topic

I don't know yet - but I can't enjoy the "Amor, Amor" like the most of members do... I appreciate the "Latin" performances, the from Spain and from Portugal even more as some of the Greek ones from the same CD... Coimbra (Franz, stin'ja soy!) & El presso numero nueve.

But the "Amor" - well, it could be sung by somebody else, it's (in my opinion) not good enough for his unique voice or - possible with me - too little Greek...

Saranti, btw. where are the promised stories? :D

Olgitsa

The song that i am referring to on the CD is "Vrehei fotia sti strata mou"..I just dont think Dalaras' voice works well on this song.Maybe i just remember Dionisiou singing this song so powerfully and since i have heard the original version so many times and have loved it for so long that i cannot enjoy Dalaras' version...Maybe i will get used to Dalaras version and enjoy it ?But Dionisious original version is so powerful and the man had such a deep, rich voice...And that song is a classic....BTW, while im speaking of Dionisiou i had the great fortune of helping promote concerts and one of the shows we did was the two dionisiou sons(stelios and angelos dionisiou)..I got to know them and we spent some time together and they seemed nice enough guys.In fact Stelios is a big fan of Dalaras and really enjoys his music.He does several of dalarases songs during his shows..Anyway, what i want to say is that Stelios definately inherited his fathers voice..This kid can sing his ass off..I could not believe how deep his voice reaches from way down inside of him and has an amazing voice.I was very impressed by his voice..Now ,how he lives his life is another thing.In that aspect he leaves a lot to be desired.But he is young and hopefully he will learn and not burn himself out like his father....His Brother Angelos has a descent voice but not as good as his younger brother in my opinion...

Now back to Dalaras.What i said above about the song "vrehei foti sti strat mou".I have not goten used to yet or enjoy it yet and i say with a bit of a heavy heart.I think that out of all the club memebers i know Dalaras better than anyone and he and i are freinds.We speak and communicate a few times a year so i feel bad that i cannot like this song yet..But something is missing to me in that song.Its probably dionisious voice in the back of my mind..

The thing is this,i have always enjoyed what Dalaras has done.When he changed direction in his career,while others critisized him i was in line with him.I understood what he did and why he did it..I had no problems with these things.I feel that sometimes change is good..So, for me to dislike his version of a song is a bit embarassing to me but i must confess what i feel in order to be honest...

(Olga,here is a small story for you) .I know i promised some stories and i will post more but this is a cute short story.

After Dalaras was here in the USA for a tour and we spent time together here in Atlanta and in New Jersey,when he returned back to Greece he was kind enough to send me and my family some nice gifts and a very nice letter thanking us for our freindship and hospitality..Now i was shocked as i arrived home one day to find a package from Greece.I asked my wife"who sent us a pachage from Greece? At first i thought it was my aunt sending us olives and regani but then saw it was from Athens and realized it was from Georgo...He is trully a very nice humble man.....

Franz, yes, we both like Coimbra..... elá!

I am glad you are not angry with me for "Amor", you all.

Saranti, thanks! Smiling: I hope the ladies of Kyrio Giorgo enjoy now their new rings with ambers - "stin makrines tis thalasses" there is no amber at all and we here do have it....

The rest of your extremely long text will be read tomorrow, etsi? Thanks for today!

Hm, from the Zygos-CD once more: I like the older version of "Kapion allon" more - this time the voice is a bit too "flat" for this song...

Did you notice that all of the older songs on the Zygos-CD are written by Stavros Koujoumtzis? A nice choice for me, as I admire his work very much (not only because of "Pou einai ta xronia" and "Mi moy thimoneis...")

Ech, παμε!

Olgitsa

Yes Franz you MUSt love the Greek songs of Dalaras!!

This is a big problem, as a lot of people don't or can't endure Dalaras' singing of 'Nongreek' music!! No matter how good it is!!!!

Back to the Zygos CD! After all the overwhelmimg cheers, let's come 'back to earth!

There are some songs, Nr. 3 on the 1st CD, Nr. 12 on the 2nd CD, where I think they just put in on, as the singing of the audience was so great!! ' Opoia kai na'sai' , there were better performances Dalaras did!

Nr.13 on the 2nd CD I wound't miss if it wasn't on it!

But I think the main problem for the CD was, everyone was waiting and longing for it, so they had to do it in a hurry!!

As some called me 'The' photographer, some additions to the artwork. Just lousy!!

The photo they put on the CD's, the old problem, mirrow-image!! Will they ever learn??

The photo on the cover. As Apostolis already mentioned, the original, in black and white ( beautiful!!) was with the programme of Emma Shaplin and Dalaras at Irodion.

The first time I saw the programme of Zygos with this photo on it ( now coloured) I had a big laugh! They cut away some hair at Dalaras' forehead and now it looked like a wig, almost flying away!!

And now, at the cover of the CD? They cut again the hair, now it looks totally artificial and affected!

Soory for loosing so many words on it, but the people who did it, they are called professionals!!

It has to be reminded that Dalaras is a Greek singer, and that his career is almost entirely devoted to Greek music. He sang a few songs from other countries, some of them very nicely, and more than nicely, indeed, but when I speak about Dalaras to someone who does not know him, I never mention the foreign songs he sings. They are not important in his musical carrer. But of course, if he wants to sing them, let him do it, and everybody is entitled to like this, of course. It is obvious, and I have said it once, that Dalaras is not a fado singer, that Coimbra was much better sung by Amalia Rodrigues. It is normal as she is the Sotiria Bellou or Edith Pif of FADO. What is Dalaras to Fado? There is absolutely no doubt about it, and believe me, I do know what I am speaking about (and if I don't know what I am speaking about, it means that my whole life is a failure, as music and poetry are my life, and especially Greek and mediterranean music and poetry)...

Saranti, I think you are right! I was used to Dionisiou's voice and I am not used to Dalaras's voice in this song. However, it's a great performance and I'm sure that I'm going to love it! :D

As far as, the photo is concerned, Anna is right! Dalaras looks very funny if you compare this foto with the older one! :razz:

I adore the "Coimbra" sung by Dalaras and like his voice in, for example, so traditional "Malaguenia" very much. But, Francois, if you have the "Coimbra" with Amalia Rodriguez. (or better at once the whole collection of fado) ech, do I have to bring the sentence to the end to be understood?

:D

Olgitsa

Well, I think we'll have to do with both performances of "Vrexei fwtia sth strata mou". As we all know, a song is something living, and it needs to be interpreted...

Would "Synnefiasmenh Kyriakh" be "Synnefiasmenh Kyriakh" without all its versions (Tsaousakis, Bellou, Ninou, Tsitsanis, Kazantzidis, Dalaras,and even.... Farantouri, even if she can't sing it ... :D )?

Anna, Apostoli, you are right, both, but I can't help it, I like the smile of our Kyrio Giorgo on every photo I can see it (Methismena tragoudia for example) and I don't care if they did something wrong with the photo in details if I can't compare any other version. So I ilke the cover photo of "Zygos" how it is. But, the photo with the three singers on the yeallow bacground inside is -frankly - not the best one.

But, as long as the smiling photo exactly on the middle of the booklet is OK, the world around is smilimg too.

With, like now, the instrumental part of "Agriolouloudo" for a good morning now.

Hm, my fault, I could have asked somebody for Berlin to bring me a Zygos programme so that I could at least see it and anjoy it.

Olgitsa

It has to be reminded that Dalaras is a Greek singer, and that his career is almost entirely devoted to Greek music. He sang a few songs from other countries, some of them very nicely, and more than nicely, indeed, but when I speak about Dalaras to someone who does not know him, I never mention the foreign songs he sings. They are not important in his musical carrer. But of course, if he wants to sing them, let him do it, and everybody is entitled to like this, of course. It is obvious, and I have said it once, that Dalaras is not a fado singer, that Coimbra was much better sung by Amalia Rodrigues. It is normal as she is the Sotiria Bellou or Edith Pif of FADO. What is Dalaras to Fado? There is absolutely no doubt about it, and believe me, I do know what I am speaking about (and if I don't know what I am speaking about, it means that my whole life is a failure, as music and poetry are my life, and especially Greek and mediterranean music and poetry)...

Francois...........I don't agree with you.I think the Latin Cd is very important in G.Ds career. It is one of the most sold CDs, therefor many people must like the CD. Then it is important!!!

You write: " If he wants to sing them,let him do it".It is very generous ,and Dalaras will thank you so much!! :D:razz::razz::rolleyes::razz: Franz :blush:

Francois...........I don't agree with you.I think the Latin Cd is very important in G.Ds  career. It is one of the most sold CDs, therefor many  people must like the CD. Then it is important!!!

Perhaps for GD's career, Franz, although he certainly didn't wait to make this CD to have an interesting career, but I have to state again that Dalaras is not a fado singer, whereas Amalia Rodrigues is, or rather, was, as she died two or three years ago. And she was the best fado singer, Franz. Listen to her, please...

I do agree with Franz, Francois, even if I don't like "Amor". I mean "Latin", this is a so good interpretation, the whole! (Franz: Coimbra? elá!!!!)

Althought I was thinking, before I got it, I would enjoy more the Greek songs of that CD. Not only because of the music.

As I have to introduce Giorgos Dalaras in my country, I must tell he made one CD together with Goran Bregovic and (dare I say so?) a friend of him. Because Bregovic is very adored there up till now (see: Martira ta in the part: Translations).

But if somebody who doesn't know GD, has time to hear to the music, here we go: Kapou nichtonei, Mi moy thimoneis, Poy einai ta xronia, Kapion allon filises, Coimbra - and he is "converted".

If not," Avre tu puerta cerrada" + Theos an einai or: Karavia stin steria +: Mana toy Alexandroy.

So did my teacher in his modern Greek lectures, and I saw it was succesfull.

So, Francois, don't underestimate "Latin". Well, sorry, it may sound like an order.

PS. I can't bear "America insurrecta" or "Commandante" for example, just to make clean breast of that...

:D

Francois............ Excuse me,I don't have this knowledge about music you have.I only know if I like a song or not! And if it is a Fado or other music,I don't care.

I like the music Dalaras does. If he is a good Fado singer or not............. :razz: .Important is for me, that I,only like the music.

If someone writes something in a topic I dont agree with,I write against in my way,although I don't have this knowledge about music you have.

I LIKE THE MUSIC OF DALARAS!!!!

Not more not less!!And that is enough for me!

:D Ignorant Franz :D:D:music::music::music::music::music:

One of my first aims in life, Franz, is to make people discover all types of what can be called music. So, I think that with all the links I have given (in the topic entitled FADO), you will see what sort of music Fado is, the singers, the guitarists, the origins of these important songs. I have always tried to help other people discover music they don't know.

I'll also post links to Arabian music sites, the ones that are interesting, of course (the song "Ki an se thelw" needs from its listeners a further knowledge of that kind of music, just like you have to know who Theodorakis, Hadjidakis or Tsitsanis are to understand the Greek songs GD is singing, because his singing their songs is a tribute to those composers, just like singing "O Zorikos" and "Paraponiariko mou" is a tribute to Apostolos Hatzichristos).

So, Francois, don't underestimate "Latin". Well, sorry, it may sound like an order.

PS. I can't bear "America insurrecta" or "Commandante" for example, just to make clean breast of that...

I don't underestimate "Latin" songs* (well I don't like the word at all, it sounds American :D ): see how much I like fado... Even before I knew Dalaras I had listened to Amalia.

"America insurrecta": wonderful poem by Pablo Neruda who worked on the melody with Theodorakis (the music of Canto General is 100 per cent Greek, by the way, see its rythms, etc...) and taught Farantouri and Pandis to pronounce the poems correctly. I don't quite like the way GD sings it.

You certainly also know my great admiration for Carlos Puebla, the composer of the song about one of my teenage heros, el "Che" and of many other revolutionary guajiras...

I will never underestimate "Latin" songs (once more, this "Latin" sounds too much US and a term of depreciation :D ), as I have spent a lot of years reading poetry in Spanish and listening to songs in Spanish, and I know exactly where to go and what to choose.

*But I will never make other people listen to those songs by GD. If I want to make them listen to fado, I will put on Amalia, or Carlos Paredes.

Poy einai ta xronia

This one would certainly be more appropriate for a discovery of Bithikotsis...

A friend of mine who is a shop assistant in the shop from which I ordered "Apo kardias" has just phoned me* to tell me that the Western title of the record would be "Downstairs from the akropolis" :music: and that it would only be available on July 18th :music::razz: . They had told me 15th.... :D:music::music::music::D

*Fotunately, I hadn't gone to bed yet. :D

Francois...........I don't agree with you.I think the Latin Cd is very important in G.Ds  career. It is one of the most sold CDs, therefor many  people must like the CD. Then it is important!!!

Dear Franz, I don't think that a CD or a book or a film is important because it is one of the most sold CDs, books or films. Never judge a film , a book or a record by the number of copies sold! Never say a film, a CD or a book is good or important because a lot of people buy them! This is very cheap criticism, indeed...

Judge a film, a book or a CD from its own quality... (bad or good).

Btw, I never said that there was no good quality in GD's "Latin". My criticism refers to other things which I have developed earlier.

:D:D:D:music::music::music:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead