Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Giorgos

ΖΥΓΟΣ VIDEO on ANT1

91 posts in this topic

I wasn't able to read this forum for the last few days and would like to add a small point.

A couple of years ago I was on a cruise ship sailing the Greek islands and I ended up talking to an American from Brooklyn who was on the ship as he had flown to Norway to see some friends and they had taken him as an extra part of his holiday to see some of Greece and Cyprus.

He had no knowledge of the Cyprus issue at all and told me that the news in the States is so localised that very rarely is anything mentioned about the rest of the world unless a major disaster etc. He was too young to remember the original war in 1974 and I spent quite some time explaining some things to him.

He was extremely interested and very upset with him own goverment who don't inform him about the rest of the world. He said that even at school their history and geography lessons are almost totally based on the American continent.

I felt then as now that it is a great pity that so many people in this world (I can't even guess the population in USA) are not given some more information about world events and countries. Maybe if they were then things would not work out the same way as now as the public would demand some answers. It is not their fault as they are sheltered and not given the advantages that we have in Europe of mixing in a more liberal society with smaller borders I believe.

My uncle who lives in Canada and was visiting last year also told me the same thing applies there but too a lesser degree and more information is given.

Anyway I don't want to upset anyone just to make a comment really.

All this is very revealing about the status of information in the US. Thank you, Lynne, for your very sensible post.

Lynne your story reminded me something similar...

It's the war in Serbia. The Americans have an active role. One would expect that the Americans would know about this war...

However this was not the case...

I'm in Nayplio with my classmates. We are on an excursion. We got away from our teachers and went to a park where we met a woman. It turned out that she was an American tourist. In fact she was a psyciatrist. We ended up talking about many things (we thought it would be nice to practice a little) and at some point we refered to the war in an effort to show her that we disagree with her country's policy.

Imagine our astonishment when she calmly said: "War? What war?"

:(:confused::razz:

Είδαμε και πάθαμε μέχρι να της εξηγήσουμε κάποια πράγματα...

Anyway, that really made me a great impression... I find it unbelievable that people especially nowadays are not being informed not about what is going on in the world in general (I admit that I also have no idea about many things... :blush:B) and I feel sad about that) but mostly because they don't know what their country is doing (whether the war was right or wrong is another subject, but all Americans should know about it...)

And I have to say that I believe the American citizens have their share of responsibility as well. As all citizens have... It's not only the fault of their goverments or of those who run the channels and the newspapers. People should do a little research on their own... otherwise their ignorance may be exploited...

And I have to say that I believe the American citizens have their share of responsibility as well. As all citizens have...  It's not only the fault of their goverments or of those who run the channels and the newspapers. People should do a little research on their own... otherwise their ignorance may be exploited...

Niki, may I quote you to my pupils when we start school again in September? I like the simple and efficient way you say things! :(

And imagine Lynne that the Cyprus blood is still dripping off Henry Kissinger's hands

Still alive that b :( y one?

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/...000/g457461.jpg

The Duke of Windsor, remember? He was the one who was forced to abdicate in London in 1936 because he was a "friend" to Hitler :razz: ... Elizabeth II's uncle. The above photo shows him after negotiations with American officials who were already preparing the "sharing" of Europe with the Nazis (see recently made public archives).... Does the American people know about it? The British and the French seem to be aware of it.

No other comment... :(

Nothing to say about his brother and successor George VI and his niece Elizabeth II who have been perfectly democratic monarchs.

Has this Duke anything to do with the one that is mentioned in the film "The remains of a day"? I don't recall his name... but he had some connections to the Nazi. (at least that's what the film was saying and of course it may be only fiction...)

Yes, it is the same Duke as in "The remains of a Day"...

This Duke was of course Edward VIII who was forced to abdicate in 1936. His future wife was an American "lady" who was the perfect link between the Nazis and American officials... The story is really quite gloomy and has shown the Americans to be pro-Nazi when it was helful to their filthy economic interests...

But we are absolutely out of topic now............................... :(

Niki, your new "signature" is really very very sweet. I see you are becoming a real fan, aren't you?

("Θα ξαγρυπνώ έξω από τα σπίτια σας για να μαζεύω τα όνειρά σας..." Μ.Χ.)

Well, I sure missed something... ready this topic all in one go is quite interesting.

I would like to add a small comment to the part about state-owned versus private-owned tv stations. Both Sarantis and Francois seem to say that there is a causal relationship between who owns the station, and the quality of the progammes and information it offers. I have to disagree with that: I think the problem is with the fact that they are owned, at all.

Notice that in an autocratic state, it's the private-owned stations that offer the good programmes, and in a greedy-commercial state, it's the public-owned ones.

"You pay the piper, you call the tune", as the old tale has it: in this case, you own the station, you choose the programme. And IF the owner does that, you get shite: political brain-washing shite if your owner is a government, commercial brain-washing shite if your owner is a company.

The only thing I have seen around, that helps, is diversity. There is always one more aspect, one more side to the story: the more different ways it is told, the better!

Diversity... You know, it's a strange thing: people always seem to remember "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest" as "dying out of everything but the fittest". And this is a BIG (and deadly) mistake. The fittest survive, yes, but you need the pool of not-quite-fittest to be as large and varied as possible, or pretty soon you have nothing to select from, no one to learn from. To anyone whose high-school taught elementary genetics, this could be obvious... but it's so much easier, I guess, to want to be rid of anything different?

Anyway, diversity is essential to all life.

And as for me, I will never trust a single-party state, a single-owner newscast, and least of all a single-god religion.

(In case you hadn't noticed, btw, theocracy is by definition incompatible with democracy: this is what Israel has in common with many, if not most, islamic states, and not a few christian ones... what a sick joke...)

How far off-topic did I get?

:)

Sorry.

However bad the Zygos footage, I hope I"ll get to see it.

Geske, not that far. I'm just so glad I'm not on cable, just the two Belgian public stations and soooooo much time for other things.

E.g. I'm going to have a haircut now, how far of topic is that?

Micki

Ech, you are all hopeless far of the topic now, never mind. But, to get such things to read, what astonishment, what a deep refreshing of the mind - even if the themes are so serious and nothing to be pleased about; "what war"?, phi.

Micki, would we recognize you now with short hair? I would like to see your face from now.

Niki, still "lost in the way" so very much, till to this great question mark? Dig a bit more in the old texts of Stavros Kougioumtzis....

To come again to the theme: there are enough of them in the "Zygos-Recording".

:):):)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0