Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Apostolis

Rembetika Music

18 posts in this topic

I found this site! It seems very good! You should read it!!!! It talks about the Rembetika songs and some great composers such as : Tsitsanis, Vamvakaris, Michalis Genitsaris, Yiannis Papayianou and many more!

He also talks about Loukas Daralas and Giorgos Dalaras!

Personally I like this part :

Another note about George Dalaras: He played at a small club in the Plaka called Zoom very close to where I live. It could probably hold several hundred people and yet I saw him around the same time playing at Olympic stadium to ninety thousand people, most of them singing along. Have you ever heard ninety thousand people sing together? It's an amazing experience. One I will never forget.

URL : http://www.greektravel.com/rembetika/

Yes, it's a very nice page about the rebetiko.

My ungorgettable experience about rebetiko was Bellou standing on a table, singing for 2000 persons in Brussels, with no microphone at all (no electricity that day..., rebetiko by candlestick...), and her bouzouki player, Diamantis Panaretos, near her, trying to play for the same 2000 people (The bouzouki is not an instrument for crowds when there is no microphone). They managed to do it, marvellously!

The event is related in Bellou's biography, but I can tell you, as I was there that night, that it was very very impressive!

The next day, there was no problem at all with the microphones, but the magic was different and the "concert" less successfull... :D:):rolleyes:

Very nice pages, indeed, but Matt Barrett does not seem to be able or to want to make a difference between rebetika and more recent "laiki mousiki".

Apostoli

This is a nice site, isn't it? I've been using it for a while, but mainly for getting information about travelling to Greece. Matt Barret was one of the people I e mailed to try to find out how to get to Prespes. Unfortunately he'd never heard of it (!) , but I was thinking of e mailing again to tell hime a) where it was and b ) what a good time we all had. One of the things I really like about the site is that he describes Dalaras as being 'to Greek music what Webster's Dictionary is to the English language'.

:) Why don't you invite him in our community, Kate? He seems to like Dalaras a lot!! :)

One of the things I really like about the site is that he describes Dalaras as being 'to Greek music what Webster's Dictionary is to the English language'.

It is a very interesting idea, but I would have replaced the "Webster's dictionary" by the "English Oxford Dictionary" which is far more comprehensive. :)

but I would have replaced the "Webster's dictionary" by the "English Oxford Dictionary" which is far more comprehensive. :)

Trust francois to leave no but unbutted...

Matt Barrett, being an american, has Webster for reference.

ΣΥΝΕΔΡΙΟ

Οι φίλοι του ρεμπέτικου στην Ύδρα

ΜΑΝΩΛΗΣ ΠΙΜΠΛΗΣ

Η Μαριώ θα τραγουδήσει στο συνέδριο

Τα λογοκριμένα προπολεμικά τραγούδια του Βασίλη Τσιτσάνη, η φιγούρα του Σταύρακα στον Καραγκιόζη, η τυπολογία των χρηστών χασίς στο ρεμπέτικο, το ρεμπέτικο στον σημερινό κόσμο, αλλά και θέματα όπως «Ρεμπέτικο ή λαϊκό; ένα ανύπαρκτο δίλημμα», «Τα χαρακτηριστικά της μουσικής των Μικρασιατών Ελλήνων και οι συνέπειες της ανταλλαγής πληθυσμών στην ελληνική μουσική» (το τελευταίο παρουσιασμένο από Τούρκους ειδικούς) πρόκειται να απασχολήσουν το συνέδριο για το ρεμπέτικο που ανοίγει τις πύλες του αύριο στην Ύδρα (αίθουσα «Μελίνα Μερκούρη»).

Την πρωτοβουλία για το ετήσιο συνέδριο έχει ο ’γγλος - με ελληνικές ρίζες - ρεμπετολόγος Εντ Έμερι και το «Ινστιτούτο Ρεμπετολογίας Λονδίνου» το οποίο διευθύνει. Πραγματοποιείται όμως με τη συνεργασία του Πανεπιστημίου του Cambridge-Τμήμα Σύγχρονου Ελληνισμού, του Δήμου Υδραίων, του ΥΠΠΟ, της ΑΕΠΙ κ.α.

Στο συνέδριο - στο οποίο μετέχουν ερευνητές, μουσικοί, τραγουδιστές - περιλαμβάνεται διήμερο με παρουσιάσεις εργασιών, προβολές κινηματογραφικών έργων σχετικών με το ρεμπέτικο, εργαστήρια (επίδειξη κατασκευής μουσικών οργάνων), αλλά και Θέατρο Σκιών. Και βέβαια, δεν λείπει το μεγάλο ρεμπέτικο γλέντι το βράδυ του Σαββάτου, στην ταβέρνα «Ξερή Ελιά» («Ντούσκος») με τη συμμετοχή γνωστών καλλιτεχνών: Μαριώ, Μανώλης Πάππος, Σοφία Παπάζογλου, Ανδρέας Τσεκούρας, Κυριάκος Γκουβέντας, οι καλλιτέχνες από την Τουρκία Αli Fuat Αydin, Cenk Guray, το λονδρέζικο ελληνικό συγκρότημα «Μουσουτού» κ.α.

ΙΝFΟ

Το συνέδριο είναι ανοιχτό και η εγγραφή για τις τρεις ημέρες (18-20/10) κοστίζει 40 ευρώ.

e-mail: rebetology@yahoo.com

ed.emery@britishlibrary.net

ΤΑ ΝΕΑ , 16-10-2002 , Σελ.: P30

Κωδικός άρθρου: A17466P302

Yes, it is very much like the American blues or the tango in Argentina. But the music works differently of course. It is a perfect combination of eastern and western elements. The rebetiko "started" round about 1870 and "died" in 1960 (that's the date Sotiria Bellou gave in an interview on the Greek radio). Rebetiko composers and singers are listed in the first part of the list I sent you the other day, Antoine. Dalaras is not a rebetiko singer, but his father was a rebetis. He inherited much of the spirit of those songs and he is extremely good at singing them, one of the best today, in fact. Enjoy those songs, Antoine, they are the songs of the heart, timeless music, infinite beauty.

:);):(

He is the one who wrote "Apovradis ksekinisa" and "Zousa monachos choris agapi"... Very good composer, and extremely sweet way of playing the bouzouki...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0