Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

Backstage experiences

70 posts in this topic

Geeske welcome back

We missed you because you are the top in posting, you are the first Dalaras Expert (100 messages).

As for clothing, there was a joke in Greece in late 80's early 90's. During those years Dalaras wore almost always a black jeans and a white shirt. Dionisis Savvopoulos, another Greek artist, said that in the following carnival, he will get dressed 'Dalaras'.

Nikolas

Don't forget his trademark back then along with the white shirt & black jeans was also with a Black Vest!

I really liked that image of him and was sad to see it go when he started to wear a black coat and white overlong shirt  in the late 90's.   Same time he cut his hair short.  Coincidence   hmmm?

What surprised me more is that he wore a black shirt during the first 1/2 program  live from the Meadowlands Concert 'Justice for Cyprus' and didn't put the white shirt, with his vestof course, on until the latter half of the show.

Boy, you can really tell on video how much black covers the star up and when wearing white on stage it really brightens the performers appearance up!

Well in Den Haag he was wearing the black jeans and white shirt and I remember thinking then that he seemed to be always wearing that, and that it suited him real well...

As fort vests, they happen to qualify as my favourite article of clothing - wether I wear them, make them, design them, or foist them on all my friends... So: can't we convince Dalaras to go back to wearing them? :)

16th of July, 1999.

First of two concerts of Dalaras in Patra, with the Ossipov Orchestra.

I have an invitation to go. I am considering of taking a gift for Dalaras.

I don't think too much. I eat a lot of honey everyday. We have our own, from my village, Itea, 30km from Alex/polis. So I keep too much honey in my room. I buy a wonderul vase and I fill it with 8Kg of homemade honey. (our honey is of the best quality, not because it is ours but it is true :))

We go to the concert at 20.00 (it starts at 21.30) and I am very funny, holding the big vase filled with honey. So, we go and sit in the front line, and I put the honey in the floor. Then I stand up, take the honey and get on the stage and go behind. About 20 meters further I see Dalaras and Kontogiannis (bouzouki) inside a small room playing. I find Mr Kivelos, producer in the latest Cds of Dalaras and I tell him "Please take this honey and give it to Dalaras". He is shocked by the size of the vase. "Come, come with me, you will give it to him", I react saying "Let him do the rehearsal" and he insists "No no, come" and he leads me to the small room. "George, the boy wants to give you something" and I am standing there, with the honey!

Then, it was the most strange face of Dalaras I have ever seen! He was looking at me and I couldn't understand what he was thinking. Maybe he wanted to slap me that I interrupted his rehearsal or what. He looked at me for 4-5 seconds without saying anything. Then he spoke: "Vre paidi mou, ti ine ayto?" (My boy, what is this?) and of course I answer, this is honey from my village, you will eat two spoons every morning and you will live for 100 years! He thanked me in a so weird way. Ok, the truth is that he was OBVIOUSLY touched, I put it in capitals because if I tell you something else, maybe you don't believe me...

I was from first ashamed that I was there and I left very quickly, wishing them good luck...

some time later, after another concert, I happened to meet him and asked him about the honey. He told me that it is great and he eats it and he always liked honey anyway. I told him that when he finishes it, I will give him more...that is another story of me! more to come!

Doesn't anyone want to guess?

I'll have a go... It MUST be something to do with guitars, and my bet is on a carrying strap. Haven't identified it, but thanks Sarantis for sending me to the site's photo album, it's even beter than I remembered it and full of new pictures! (Nikolas *is* a magician, oh yes he is).

Please give me a hint on which photos to look for it?

If Dalaras accepted a present like that from you, it must mean he likes you a lot. My day's done - see you tomorrow!

Hi   Saranti

3 letters    

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now thats what I call some gift!!!!!!!!!

A whole Guitar for a present and a custom made Ovation too at that.   Holy smokes!

That must have been very expensive to build.  

No wonder why Dalaras autographed your guitar  and its now sitting in a glass enclosure.  That Guitar or both of those Guitars I should add will probably be priceless someday.  Like that Gibson Centinneal Guitar which had a retail price over 񙇈.00

Maybe after 100 years from now it will hold its rank much to that of a Strativarius Violin.

Well that definately beats the gift I gave to him. Mine wasn't even close.  Obviously, if you had given him a small mediocre item like a pick or strap, it wouldn't have much sentimental value to it not along worth giving.  But a whole custom made Ovation Guitar embroidered with his name?

I would be tickled pink if it were me.  I wounld't even know what to say not along accept it.

The recording artists got to love this from their fans.

I remember our former guitarist/bassist (from the group I once played with) at one time had the chance to meet his idol Eric Clapton

and he presented him with a gold bracelot or necklace of some sort.  I'm sure Clapton liked it very much.

Now what would DiMeola say to this, that you gave Dalaras a Guitar and not one for him too?    LOL

Saranti, thank you for the photo tip.

Do you know, my first guess at the Gift actually was 'a guitar'. Do you want to know why I thought 'not that likely' ? You don't - I'll tell you anyway :)  Because it is difficult for one musician to choose an instrument for another (especially a better) musician. I never thought you'd have it custom built...

We're still waiting for the story of The Making Of THE Guitar... Come on, tell - you can work another time :)

Saranti,

the magic is operating at full blast again. First I checked for new posts at the exact minute (14.11 my time) when you posted the guitar story.

Then, having savoured the story, I decided I could wait no longer to see the guitar(I had been saving the pleasure as long I could). So I went at looked at Stuttgart photo #8.

And you know what? It's the very same photo I pinched for my wallpaper two days ago. I picked it because he looks so happy embracing that guitar and singing...

And now of course I'm going to ask questions. You know me by now :)

I hope they managed to get the inlay done in Greek letters? They are so much prettier...

And how did you know what strings to put on it? He'd be particular about those, all guitarist are. Did you ask him beforehand?

And WHEN was this? Long ago?

And... ok, ok, I'll let off (for now)  :)

I was listening to that very same cd while reading your post... On the discman, because the cord for the headphones does not reach my desk and I can't afford to annoy the neighbours too much!

The inlay is really beautiful. It looks like the guitar is on fire, almost.

I hope you tested it well before you gave it to him?

'The Glass Case of the famous autographed Guitar'.

Saranti didn't you hear,  The Crystal ball your talking about  has been all over the town.

Ime "O Magos tis Polis"

hehe    LOL

Yeah it must be all that magic floating around the club and eating some of that youthful honey too!!!

And of course not to mention you once told me so too.      

Funny how you  forgot me??

(Edited by Christo at 2:30 pm on Aug. 11, 2001)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0