Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

Backstage experiences

70 posts in this topic

Well I think it is interesting to start such a topic. Let's recount our stories! Sarantis go on!

Come on guys don't be coy!

Or I shall tell you at fatiguing length about 'HOW DALARAS SAVED MY LIFE' - this is a threat!

:)

On stage experience. Radio City theatre in Thessaloniki. George is singing with Arvanitaki and Thodosis. He is up there asking the crowd to suggest songs (usual trick). I wait for everybody to stop talking (oh I was in the first row). I ask him: Do you remember "Ta vasana de legontai?" Now, this is in 1990. The LP "gia ta tragoudia ki ego ftaio" was not out yet, so this song was out only in a 45 LP. So he looks at me surprised and says. How in the world do you now that song? I lost my words. He turns to the band and tells them to stop playing. He picks his guitar and plays to lines of the song. Looks at me again and says. Did I get it right? Ask me for another one. I ask him to play the other song of the disc ("Mana mou de se akousa"). He laughs and plays the guitar by himself for a few seconds and then sings the first part of the song. Anything else? he asks. Me, in heaven replies: I am done. He laughs. He nodes at the band. They start playing "harokopou, stis parages". Perfect moment

hey Sarandis,

Next time you get to meet Dalaras after the show,

ask him if remembers the gift I gave him??

Or even if still has it it???

It is a unique gift and not to common one can find or make.  

It is coffee mug with his picture and name on it

that reads,   "Dalaras sings for Cyprus" taken from the Meadowlands Concert.

This is the BEST thread of all.

Sarantis, you are a guitarist - did you ever get to play duet with him?

Heck I can't even imagine it - not in this earthly life :)

Geeska, yes im a guitar player,but not professional.We did play a small bit together,i started playing the new version of "enas kombos e haxa mou",he joined in.We were at my home for a few hours so he tried several of my over 50 guitars.Im a guitar collector and likes instruments as well.. We did much more though besides play guitars,we ate,went to my back yard where he played with my sons,fed my fish in my japanise garden.It was a lot of fun.We later drove around town so i can show him the city.There are so many little stories i have a hard time remembering..Probably the best story though is when Dalaras stopped playing in between songs at the concert and thanked me for the gift i gave him,he showed everyone the gift and then dedicated the next song to his "freind Sarantis",he played "exo ena kafene".....I was very honoured by that...more great stories to follow..

Sarantis, how nice of you to pick my special favourite song to play with him! :)

You lucky so-and-so.

Are you going to tell us what the gift was? (If you don't want to I won't insist - we all have our reticences).

Chris, what a tease you are!

Why don't you give us some useless information instead - like what you did with *the*  guitar pick - put in on a chain round your neck? framed it to hang on the wall? buried it in the deepest safe deposit box of a swiss bank?

Geeska,i know where "the pick" is!!!! It is an honered place under glass case in the west side of the "Dalaras Musium" right next to the Dalaras autographed guitar.......Chris was this the only pick or is there another?

Oh guys... I DO HOPE none of you are aware of the meaning of 'pick' in Dutch.

Well we spell it 'pik' but... *BLUSH*

What kind of museum is this Dalaras museum? Glass cases, a hushed atmosphere, a sky-high entry fee? And sensors that go BEEP if you lean to close??

:)

No im not aware of the dutch term"pick"....so, "PICK","PICK","PICK"... i guess the words" Dalarases pick" has a totally different meaning to you.....hehe,he

As far as the "Dalaras Musium"..it is a place where Dalaras Fanatics can visit free of charge an see a huge collection of rare pictures,posters,concert tickets,backtage passes,guitars(autographed by georgo),huge collection of dalaras videos,albums,CD's,press kits, and Dalarases "PICK" ....as far as know it is the only Dalaras musium in the whole world...Thanks to Chris Apostolakis this musium is possible!!!

A dirty mind is joy forever,

but I DO apologize for bringing it up. It was rude and I shouldn't have done it.

Chris, where in the world did YOU pick up such a vocabulary (no pun intended :)   )??

Chris

I will put some pepper in your mouth...

Anyway, Pik in german means the same as the word you said you didn't say...

I am calling Anna now...Anna!!!!

Will you tell us about the shocks in Irodio please? :rolleyes:

Here I'm!!

I really don't know nothing about 'shocks' at Irodion!

But, as I know the English of Nikolas is only a little bit better than my Greek, I'm sure he wanted me to talk about the 'socks'.

The 12th of Sept. 2000 was the concert at Irodion. Dalaras, Joan Faulkner and the BBC Orchestra. Thanks to the help of Andonis ( the guy who started the other unofficial Dalaras web-site, but has to stop now a little, because of military services!!) an international group of 5 people was among the 5.000 spectators. This one from Athens, another Greek from Patras ( maybe someone knows him?) a girl from France, a couple from the Netherlands  ( they interrupted their holidays on Samos) and me ( I interrupted my holidays on Karpathos, you have to go via Rhodes to get to Athens!!).

It was an amazing evening. I think, everyone you knows this theatre, will understand. For the others I try to explain a little: you sit there, watching the old walls, sitting on old stones, the lightning on the stage, you look back and up, you see the illuminated Acropolis!! And then you hear the beginning of the music... at this time I was already as we say in German ' im 7ten Himmel'!!

And then Dalaras came and started to sing. The first song was:' Aspro peristeri'.

And I looked up to the sky to say thank you and there he was just coming out of the clouds: my friend' to fengari'. I tell you, it's hard to hold back the tears in a moment like this!

O.K. this was the sentimental part, now back to the 'socks'!

If you have the chance to meet Dalaras after the concert it's boring always to ask for a autograph. So I decided this time he will get something. But what?

I rembered one edition of the magazine 'Difono', where they annouced the Difono concert 2000 in Thessaloniki. And there were photos of the greek singers who would be on stage. Of course Dalaras. Nice photo, he was sitting very relaxed, one foot on the knee of the other leg, so every one could see these socks. Nice socks, but with a small hole in it.

I remembered this photo and then I knew what to do. Buy a pair of socks and give it to this poor guy!

And so I did!

And his reaction: of course he did a big laugh!!

Anna

I don't know about my English, but your Maths should be weaker than your Greek. :laugh:

So, one Antonis from Athens, two me coming from Patra, three a girl from France, four and five a couple from Holland, six you...

Wo counts less? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I only counted the ones I saw!!!

But in Germany, at the moment it's really summer, and I'm not used to it.

Hi folks,

I'm back from a week among the Vikings - great week it was, but I MISSED you! I is sooo good to catch up on these pages and pages of posts!!

I loved the 'socks' story... Am I right in thinking that Dalaras does not worry very much about clothing, fashion, etc... - "if it's tidy and unobtrusive, it's good enough" - that kind of attitude? He'd be right of course - to a personnality like his, no kind of dressing up can add anything!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0