Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soc

This song reminds me of

106 posts in this topic

Usually ideas for topics come before you know what you want to write in them. This time it was the other way around. So, I would like to start a new topic and to invite everybody to tell us about what a particular song reminds them of. It doesn't need to be a dramatic experience or a story about the love of your life but something very simple that happened when you were listening to the song or a song that you were listening while doing something. It has to be such though that everytime you listen to the particular song you remember that moment. TO give you an example, in an interview Dalaras himself once mentioned a song ( I don't remember which one) that as he said reminded him of his first μηλόπιτα. That simple. Tell me if you like it and I can start with a couple of songs.

This topic could be called "La madeleine de Proust". Its a nice idea, soc.

Well, for example, the song "Pounai ta xronia" reminds me of the fact that I had to walk a long way to go to College when I was a student. It kept running in my head then... :razz::D

The first that's in my mind is 'Hasta Siempre', reminds me of Duesseldorf.

Tell me if you like it and I can start with a couple of songs.

Start doing what, Soc?

Micki

The most recent one that I don't think I can forget for some time. Amor Amor and the airplane starts dancing following the rythme of the song somewhere over Germany. I hate turbulance. Especially when I listen to Dalaras. The the song ended and so did the dancing.

Great topic..I have many songs by Dalaras that trigger memories or remind me of something....The two that stand out the most are...

The first song is "exo ena kafene"..This song i have loved for many years and Dalaras had not really played it in concerts for many years.During a concert here in Atlanta he finished a song and began speaking to the audience.He told them that he wanted to dedicate this next song to a new freind .His exact words were" this man has been your freind for many years and now he is my freind as well"..He then said my name and looked over at me and dedicated this song "exo ena kafene"..I was completely suprized and was in shock..I could only look at my wife and children in amazement..It was like i was in a dream...I will never forget that moment..

The next song is "enas kombos i xaramou" ...This song always reminds me of the day Dalaras was over my home.We were looking at and playing some of my guitars..This is the only song that i got to play along with Dalaras..We played together.I still cant believe im saying this.Somebody pinch me and wake me up..Anyway, that was the only song we played together as i did not want to bother him and let him try the many guitars in my music room.He played for about 30 minutes and then we went in the back yard and fed my fish in the pond with my children...So ,the song "enas kombos i xaramou" always reminds me of Dalaras at my home...

The most recent one that I don't think I can forget for some time. Amor Amor and the airplane starts dancing following the rythme of the song somewhere over Germany. I hate turbulance. Especially when I listen to Dalaras. The the song ended and so did the dancing.

:) Maybe all happened, as the same time your plane crossed Germany, someone down on earth was listening to Amor-Amor, and maybe too loud!

But, because of the distance and the speed of sound up into the air... it wasn't exactly the same time!

Result: turbulances!!

Dear members,

I`ve always wanted to share this memory with people who admire G. D.

It was many many years ago at Palais de Sports in Thessaloniki.The two unions of Greek composers and singers were giving concerts all over Greece.M. Loizos was the president of the composers and G.D. the one of the singers.They gave 2 concerts in Thessaloniki.There were many of them, so half of them appeared on each night. Of course we chose the night DALARAS was inthe concert.

It was like this:A composer got on the stage to conduct his own songs, and various singers sang one after the other.

I remember Galani, Parios and many others.That night Akis Panou joined the concert although he had been in hospital.As he himself told us It was DALARAS who took him from the hospital and brought him to the concert.

Anyway,when Mr Derveniwtis came up on stage, I heard G.D. sing -for the first time in my life`Pare t`axnaria`you know the Kazantzidis song.

I`m not sure I can describe my feelings.I had never until then heard him sing like that.There was complete silence and I was so moved that I suddenly burst into tears.I felt very embarassed, I thought everybody was looking at me,so I closed my eyes but i couldn`t stop crying.For a moment I thought that he was singing only for me-You all know exactly what I mean- I dared looked at my cousin who was sitting next to me and,SURPRISE she was crying, too. I looked around and I was shocked ,many people were crying also.It was incredible.The song ended and you won`t believe what happened.

We all stood up ,cheering ,clapping,throwing things in the air ,like a jacket, a sweater, what we were sitting on ,but the same thing happened near the stage.I remember the other singers hugging Dalaras ,Galani kissing him ,others trying to lift him up in the air.

I `m sure you all know now what `Pare t`axnaria reminds me of.

I wish you had all been there because it`s something nobody can describe with words.

RENA

P.S. I haven't mixed the order of the lyrics but this is how it goes for me...

It is fascinating how each person has a different view of each song! Thanks for your post, Niki ! :)

Rainbow and tears. Thanks, Niki, thanks, Rena!

Well, tears... and my father, unable to say his nostalgia and good feelings, but trying to share it with us, during listening of "Mi mou thimoneis", with real tears in his eyes and voice. It's repeated every time we hear to it together, the first time we could understand the text (so similar to our intuitive knowing of that for many years), the first time we got an answer from Kyrios Giorgos' computer as we wrote to him. And - after so many years - it's still one of the songs bringing me to a good sleep. Only some music works of J.S.Bach have the same effect (cantate 82, St. Matthew' Passion).

So, no wonder, after we both were so close to each other now in Berlin during this song - I can't remember a single note sung afterwards.

The other song, of Koujoumtzis, too, the first one recognized by me as Dalaras' song.

Kapou nixtonei, somewhere in Euboea, some years ago, as my parents asked me to look for recordings of a man named Giorgos Dalaras. The man in a litlle shop, not able to speak English almost at all, the first sounds of the harp arpeggio... oh, one of the songs I was writing my own texts to as I was about 12. So well known one, so well known....

I was crying so, that I wished, I could explain to the man, why. Then I said: the next year, if the same happens, you will be able to explain that in Greek. And then, the teacher I was looking for some years, was found, I know already a bit of Greek. I can sing along most of the Kyrios Giorgos' songs on the concerts or at home.

Or even, what happened this spring, to dance and to sing with an older Greek man on a beach close to Athens, 22.00-2.00, and the first songs to sing together were these of Stavros Koujoumtzis, "pou ekane Dalara".... Nichterinos peripatos stin paralia - I think, I would really never forget that, it was like taken from the pages of Kazantzakis.

Or like the wings of Niki from Samothraki - let me, please, repeat this here, too.

Olgitsa

Ομορφη και παράξενη πατρίδα

and Athens falling away below the airplane and the clouds closing over it.

I couldn't even cry anymore.

A tall bridge somewhere in the high hills of Germany, on the old Linksrheinishe Autobahn. Sun in my eyes, the panorama below pulling my eyes off the road, and Ματάκια (my ancient VW van) buffeted by the ferocious side-wind and fighting the steering-wheel...

σκέψου τι όμορφη που θα 'σαι με το φεγγάρι στα μαλλία.

Attention!! Attention!!

Very dangerous to pass Germany while listening to Dalaras!!

And very dangerous to go to the seaside by car while listening to Vamvakaris...

I have not tried with GD, but I will, the next time I buy a car... :D

Some years ago, there was a European tour, I went to the concerts in Duesseldorf and Brussels. Believe or not, the day Dalaras came to Duesseldorf, I had to do exams for evening-school (just a little detail, I was doing 'Deutsch' - sorry Anna, I forgot a lot again).

I managed to do the exams on another evening (and if not, I wouldn't have to study for those exams :D ).

I just bought the CD "Ζωντανή ηχογράφηση στην Ιερά Οδό" and taped for my recorder in the car while driving . Especially when I hear the song "Ανόητες αγπάπες", I can almost see us again driving there, searching for the Philipshalle, a place to eat, a parking place (I almost hit a pedestrian with my car ... almost) and later, back home to Belgium, in the dark, Margarita and I just met 'him' for the first time. After the excitement we got very quiet and I was never so awake on an empty road driving straight away, almost the whole way. Oh boy, yes that song brings memories.

Another story I have, tell you later, about Saloniki (again a car adventure). A short one, I'll tell later.

Micki (and who ever sent some sun to Belgium and really the hot temperatures as I love them, THANKS A LOT).

Geske, Anna, Francois, as for that what you said above, I've never heard music by a walkman in my long life - I wouldn't have had accident with the first car perhaps, but sure already with the second.

It is not only witb Dalaras so, it would be with Haendel - Bach - Telemann - Schuetz......

Althought: my parents, "vaccinated" already more, hear Greek music including Dalaras every time they are on the way. Never had any accident Does it have to mean, Polish roads are more safe for Dalaras fans? Or is our Alfa Romeo vaccinated, too?

Anna, how well to "see" you again, even in such holiday gossip like this part now.

:) :blink: :razz:

even in such holiday gossip like this part now.

You think this topic is a holiday gossip??

I don't think so, as I really like to know the 'connections' between Dalaras songs and other members!

We already had a simiular very sucessful topic 'What a song may remind you..'.

And, as I already wrote down there a lot, don't expect me to repeat the stories here!

:)

Νot the topic, Anna! Only its part about connections between safe driving and listening to Dalaras or other music! And I think, you like more the "serious " topics, don't you?

Gruesse, Anna! Und wie geht's Dir inzwischen?

Olga

And very dangerous to go to the seaside by car while listening to Vamvakaris...

Here's what happened to me one morning while listening to "M'ekapses tsachpina mou ki oraia" by Vamvakaris.

I almost had a car accident near Athens one day because of this song: I was with my best friend, Thodoris, and we were going to Agia Marina na kanoume banio, when this song was broadcast on the radio. I was so amazed when Vamvakaris started to sing that I wanted to have the radio louder, and didn't watch the road for a short while... I only had enough time to react when Thodoris shouted and I understood that we were going to bump into the little wall separating the road from the seashore...

This beautiful song has always reminded me of that day since...

I've stopped counting the times when Dalaras saved my life on the road. I am so often driving endless long journeys, often at night, often alone, and he is my company, my keep-awake, my breathing exercises, my pep-pill, my hot coffee, the wind in my sails, the tiger in my tank... :)

Σκόνη.

I think of this song sometimes when I had one of my sneeze-attacks (I trust you, Geske, to correct that, I cannot find it - niesbuien).

If the song were true, I would sneeze passionately !

Micki

Geske, I admire your gift to find so many simply words of the English language, which are so full of meaning...

Micki, να εισαι καλα!

Vriendelijke groeten, you both,

Olga

As Anna very correctly pointed out this topic is very similar to another one. The reason I started it was that although it 's a very interesting subject, the previous topic was diverted so badly that we forgot what we were talking about. So, please stick with the topic, which is simple things that Dalaras songs remind you of. I ' d rather see it disapear at the bottom of the page after everybody posts their thoughts but I wouldn't want it to stay on top with irrelevant posts. But again I am not a moderator, so you can simply ignore me.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0