Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soc

This song reminds me of

106 posts in this topic

So many posts? As far as I am concerned, it's OK and must not be serious and/or scientific every time; but, once more, let's try to keep order in these drawers we have in this forum.

Greetings now, Melissa!

Αν δεις στον ύπνο σου ερημια

on the radio

and suddenly I see those two moose again, walking away in a huff in the morning sun on a Swedish hillside.

Weird are the ways of memory.

Πατριδοφνωσία.

Ζυγός, the curtain has fallen on Αρετή, Μελίνα and ’ννα are facing each other at the edge of the stage, singing this rather nice song... singing it, I remember, quite badly! Maybe because of the contrast with Areti's unbelievable voice, maybe because it's their first number, I don't know. But it's the only song in the show I can remember thinking 'ouch, this don't sound too good'.

Funny:

it's a very very very good memory.

'Enas kombos i hara mou'

Cette chanson me rappelle mes vacances en Italie. Il y avait une famille grecque au camping, et ces gens passaient tout le temps cette chanson. Ma soeur en a perdu toute sa patience, mais moi je suis revenu en France avec une grande richesse en plus dans le coeur.

Cela fait deux mois que j'apprends le grec. Une heure par jour ! A cause de cette chanson !

Antoine;

without knowing, what you wrote here before, I am listening to the same song again, with a warm thought: it's exactly one year ago Anna, Leverkusenissa, could give me the first greetings in the Community.

Anna, DANKE VIELMALS;

Antoine, welcome, καλως ηρθες.

:)

'Enas kombos i hara mou'

Cette chanson me rappelle mes vacances en Italie. Il y avait une famille grecque au camping, et ces gens passaient tout le temps cette chanson. Ma soeur en a perdu toute sa patience, mais moi je suis revenu en France avec une grande richesse en plus dans le coeur.

Cela fait deux mois que j'apprends le grec. Une heure par jour ! A cause de cette chanson !

:) Bonjour Antoine, bienvenue !

Bon courage dans ton apprentissage du grec, bientot tu seras aussi fort que Francois, je n'en doute pas :music:

Annette

Σευχαριστώ Annette. :):D

Bel effort que je ne poursuivrai pas aujourd'hui, et puis, dur dur de taper du grec avec mon clavier.

Merci de tout mon coeur Annette.

On the road last night, in totally beastly weather, the ruts deep in water, Ματάκια trying hard not to skid... A familiar road from many many years ago, when I drove that way at four in the morning every monday, when I still had a car that didn't leak water, and a boss who paid me...

when I played that same record, though the tape has been replaced since.

και στο παζάρι με πήρες γύφτισα μαιμού....

Ματάκια only does 85 km /hour on the motorway, so it takes a long time.

And yes, I seem to spend a lot of time on the road. Like it, actually - so long as I have enough Dalaras and cigarettes, and not too many trafic jams.

Yesterday - or rather this morning: another of those moments one can't forget.

I had been on my way to bed, kicking off my shoes in fact (wooden shoes, I'm not joking), when something occured to me that needed to be written down at once - now - no delay.

Oh well.

So I stomped the klompen back on, wrapped an extra scarf around me and reanimated the computer. The wanted file appeared on my screen just as I was stifling a yawn, and asking myself why I had to do this that at such unearthly hours - and at that same moment, the radio got through, the announcers voice said 'τα φαντάσματα' and Dalaras started singing:

όλη η νύχτα κι ούτε δυο γραμμές δεν έγραψα...

so after all, I sat down to write laughing, warm and happy.

The radio played το τραγούδι της βροχείς

I stopped working to listen,

he sang:

κι αν έχεις κόψει το τσιγάρο

κερνάω τα πότα

and reminded me

that it had been at least two weeks since I had a cigarette,

and it was high time for a break.

knock, knock.....

In spite of it; this "nia nia nia" is, how the little children in my country try to say "no"; it's funny here.

See you in the other room, too..... ziuuuu.........

Alkinoos Ioannidis on the radio. I like him and I like tha pio olo to Bosforo

but what it brings to my mind is someone I heard singing that song better that Ioanidis ever did.

Magic moments, bright nights.

Actually it wasn't a song, it was the record itself, the object, that triggered the memory, when I took it from the shelf just now.

A little less than a year ago, it was, in Mainz, the whole world steaming after an incredible downpour of rain, and me steaming from having run right across the parc, afraid of being late for the concert in the big tent...

The young man with his basket on his belly, selling CD's...

He handed me this ferociously green package, saying apologectically "it costs... , but it's a double cd and..."

And I didn't even let him finish the sentence, practically snatched Apo Kardias from his hand and beamed at him like a gargoyle in paradise.

And the joke: I was 300 km from home, and thought it a pretty long way to drive for a concert.

Taxidi Sta Kithira actually reminds me of Greece (and of the Meteora in particular) since once, on a trip I took there with my wife, I couldn't stop humming it. Even though she was begging me to stop! :blink:

Taxidi Sta Kithira actually reminds me of Greece (and of the Meteora in particular) since once, on a trip I took there with my wife, I couldn't stop humming it. Even though she was begging me to stop! :blink:

This extremely beautiful song unfortunately reminds me of sad and lonely days I spent about 15 years ago... :blush:

:):):)

Taxidi sta kithira reminds me of a painting by Watteau: Voyage à Cythère and consequently a poem by a forgotten french poet, André Chénier, which I think had the same title and I studied it in College.

The Antoine Watteau painting (1717) is in the Louvre in Paris, and there is to read in "The pocket Louvre" like this:

After having sacrificed to Venus, whose statue has been decorated with rose garlands, pairs of lovers leave the Greek island of Cythera. They rise reluctantly to embark in the waiting boat, striking a sequence of poses that suggests their gradual movement from right to left"

[Claude Mignot, The Pocket Louvre, Abbeville Press Publishers 2000,

p. 238]

Is there any further connection between the painting and the song, coming - if I remember well - from a film with the same title?

Well, in the end of the film, we see the "hero" (Manos Katrakis) floating away on a sort of... tiny wooden deck...

It is an amazing film, like all Angelopoulos' films...

That's interesting to know that there was a film related to this beautifully melancholic song. When you say that they rise reluctantly, that's amazing because I remember vaguely that the poem always describing this feeling of going but at the same time leaving with regret something behind. Now I remember the name of the poem by Chénier (XVIII cent. head chopped off during the French Revolution): Embarquement pour Cythère. Lovers who go on a trip to the island of lovers, Cythère/Kithira but whose happiness is somehow uncomplete because our human nature doesn't allow us to enjoy the moment fully. In Portugal we have a world for that: saudade. :rolleyes:

In Portugal we have a world for that: saudade. :rolleyes:

A word often used in fado songs, if I am not mistaken... :rolleyes:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0