Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soc

This song reminds me of

106 posts in this topic

A recent one. I put on Ο μετοικός just now and it instantly conjured up for me the very worst greek singer I ever hope to hear: in a taverna right here in Arnhem, losing his lyrics and making a fool of himself with conviction and dedication - a great performance of its kind, no irony intended.

The funny thing is that when he was """singing"" it, I was thinking of the time when I had just bought the record and sat in the car in the middle of Amsterdam with the headphones on and a look on my face so stoned that a passing cop looked askance at me...

"Ο μετοικός" reminds me of my early teens, when I couldn't understand Greek properly: I used to listen to my grandmother's old radio set (short waves). Then I heard Dalaras for the first time, without knowing who he was. But "Ο μετοικός", in his original French version was extremely popular at that time in France, not that it is a thing of genius (Moustaki had composed much nicer songs then), but it is a very pleasant song that I liked very much, and discussing this song (or other Moustaki songs) with friends was one of our favourite passtime at school at lunch time...

Ξένος για σένανε κι εκθρός...

I can smell the taxi.

I can feel the doorhandle in my hand, the shape of the seat (including the broken springs), the wind from the open window.

I can smell the smell, the musty cigaretty smell, and hear the engine, and hear the driver's voice, his laugh, surprised and pleased and not quite believing, at first, this weird foreigner who claimed to have learned all her greek from this man who was singing, now, on the radio...

and behind that

I remember the big bubbles of frustration bursting inside me because of what I wanted to say, and had no words for... bursting to nothing in the wonder of the fact that what I could say, he understood...

and behind that

I remember, how I remember! the penetrating eyes and prophet's voice of Lefteris Papadopoulos.

I was in a concert of Giorgio, about 3-4 years ago. It was after the concert when a lot of people were speaking with Dalaras, asking for autographs, pictures etc. It was a quite wide area, not behind a door only. In fact, it was in front of the stage. At a moment when everyone was trying to access Dalaras, there was a girl, a very beautiful one, walking at the place, not waiting for Dalaras, she was not Greek and she was singling the song Apona Matia, from the album Apona Matia. Her voice, non-greek, her accent, quite funny, came at a second when everybody including Dalaras heard her. And suddenly, everybody, Dalaras being the first, turned and looked at her. I was watching it from the seats of the theatre. It was a very exceptional moment and I remember it every time I listen to this song.

There's one scene in the opera Lysistrata by Theodorakis. I don't remember which one, very cheerful, lively part of this opera, all women on stage and also some on the balcony at the side. Singing, dancing with the arms in the air!!

'Με τα χέρια στον αέρα.....'

Just like you did, on the balcony last night at Zygos, I was thinking watching this scene at Megaro Mousikis the first time!!

And as I just listened to 'Κι αν σε θέλω', the memories came back...

The computer's shuffle just threw it at me:

Είναι μεγάλος ο καημός...

and it brought to my mind the story that Melina Mercouri tell in "I was born Greek", of meeting Greta Garbo on Spetsaï, and how they all sang it for her.

And it made me think how a book (or a song, or any thing), whatever it's own intrinsic value, is made more valuable when it's a gift from a friend.

And then: Mercouri. She tells what it was like for her to meet this great star - she, a star herself, a person of indisputable charisma... a hero... and quaking in her shoes like any of us might... When love and admiration and wonder go together like that, we're all human, all equal.

Tonight is a perfect summer night at Leverkusen! Still warm, now!

I just went on the balcony and saw him disappearing. The half red moon!

He :mad: reminded me of the song: Luna rossa!

Full moon

'Amor....Amor, Amor' is played in Leverkusen, once again at full speed!

Sorry for the turbulances to all who are crossing Germany by plane! :music:

"Το παιδί από την Κρήτη" μου θυμίζει την Σύρο :) γιατι εκεί το άκουσα για πρώτη φορά

Κρητη.... My porents are going there on Tuesday now, to Agios Nikolaos!!! Omorfi poli... But the song? "I kiverniseis peftoune, ma i agapi menei...." Because it was one of the themes of my talk to Kyrios Angelos from Hersonissos, and after we're talking more, and, among others, about komboloi and Giorgos Dalaras, he said, in Greek, "you know already so much, as we Greeks..." I was so proud and I am still, althought it's already a year ago.....

Το πολλαπλό σου είδωλο,

I beat out the carpets yesterday. I can't beat a carpet without thinking of 'κι όταν τινάζω τα χαλιά, στο βόλεϊ πάντα τρέχεις' .

This lead to yesterday's Great Scientific Discovery. I'll give it to you as multiple choice:

Question: What is the greatest advantage of cleaning the floor with a broom, not a vaccum-cleaner?

a) because it's cheaper, faster and more efficient.

:) because the broom is also useful for flying

c) because you can hear Dalaras sing "Μα πού θα πάει ο καιρός ..." much better over the noise of a broom than over a hoover.

:music:

I was going to go with a), :) and c), but then I got uncertain about a) and c).

Edit:The cool guy in the shades should actually be the letter b with a paranthesis after it. Wait, I just remembered you can disable emoticons. Ah, I'll let it remain.

Sunday, one week ago,

in the taxi to the way to Athens airport to get to Syros,

best weather, low traffic

and on the radio, Dalaras singing:

'Θα πιω απόψε το φεγγάρι'

'Θα πιω απόψε το φεγγάρι'

This song reminds me of the voice of Poulopoulos and of sultry September days spent in Larissa.

Geia xara kali, Giannis Kalatzis and the aroma of salt in my hair,

the aroma of salt on my cotton jacket bought just on Santorini and worn on the ship during the return journey to Iraklio,

the aroma of salt on the big stone I took from the beach in Hersonissos to my valitsa on my way home, almost a year ago,

the flavour of salt still remaining on that stone, really up till now

and some "Theos an einai" sounds in my "μεγαλι και ανησυχη" soul during a storm of the last afternoon on Crete,

and now there are my own parents who should bring me this frish aroma of salt after their journey to the places I visited before.

Geia xara kali - Theos an einai....

and the dance begins again, as it was a year ago.

"Are you pregnant? You are shining so with joy?"

"No, I was dancing..."

Och, oi makrines oi thalasses!........

S'eyxaristo, Melissa.

Τωρα παιζουν στο ραδιο μου "Μη μου θυμονεις, ματια μου" και λιωνω σαν κερακι.

Ειναι παντα σαν αγκαλια του πατερα.

Και oi γονεις μου εγραψανε απο την Κρητη συμερα - "Καλημερα, coreczko" = "καλημερα, γλυκο κοριτσι"....

Μελισσα,

:)

Oh, dear Melissa, thanks, but I am a Barbarian who doesn't know French (just the 5 of basic words only). And I want to be sure to understand you well!!!

Long time ago we had already a topic about this song ( see in the thread "looking for a song"), but I'm not able to give the link here ;)

Maybe you have a look there!

Just a few words. The song was composed by Manos Xidous and Dalaras, the lyrics are from Manos Xidous. So it's Xidous story, but as the Pyx Lax tour in Germany this year was cancelled, no chance for me to ask him about the reasons he wrote this song.

Mia vradia sto Leverkusen ...

With this one, I have a big :) in my head. GD does not compose so many songs, however this is one he did. I wonder who is the lucky girl that has been immortalized in this song.

Have a look and you'll see this song goes with different occasions!

www.enet.gr

You know, considering the Polish language, you can only say "female pigeon". "Male pigeon" is connected always with making cities dirty. The same for Holy Ghost; you must say "female pigeon" to avoid quick association; I bet the same is for Venice and similar places.... :)

have a good day.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0