Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

Dalaras and the earthquake in Turkey

3 posts in this topic

I quote the post of Sarper...

A few weeks ago one of the members (sorry,I don't remember who he/she was) sent a post about earthquakes.This made me remember something.

Three years ago,in August 1999,Northwestern part of Turkey woke up with an earthquake that lasted for 45 seconds.When it was over thousands of people were killed and many more left homeless.

After the disaster,many countries offered to help to the victims.Greece was among these countries.Some Greek TV channels broadcasted programmes about the great disaster and started campaigns to help their neighbours.

As a part of these campaigns,only 13 days after the earthquake,our beloved Dalaras,together with Thanasis Gaifilias and his group, held a concert in the stadium of Xanthi.Later the revenue of this concert was sent to the region.

The following article which,I think, is very meaningful was published in Hurriyet* after this concert:

Dalaras:However it's sorrowful,the earthquake presented us a chance**

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giorgos Dalaras,one of the most famous singers of Greece,is very well known in his country for his aid concerts.

Dalaras held a concert in Xanthi where many Turks live.Before the concert,he spoke to our reporter:

"We,the artists,say everything,that the politicians hesitate to say,by means of our songs.Our brothers in our neighbour Turkey,faced a disaster.Thousands of brothers died.It's very hard to express my feelings but believe me,I'm sharing your sorrow.I certainly couldn't stay ignorant.If the same thing happened to us,Turks would do the same for us,without thinking anything else.I regard this concert as a chance for the two nations to come closer rather than an aid concert.I'm always hopeful and I believe that Turkish and Greek nations will come closer.

However the quake caused the Turkish people suffer a lot,it also presented us a chance.Now it's our mission to take the advantage of this opportunity.We support each other in hard times then why should we argue in good times?

From now on everything will be better between these two countries.It's hard to make peace.But we have to choose the difficult way.I believe we will manage.

*Hurriyet is one of the leading newspapers of Turkey.

**The translation was made by me so I apologize to all of you for the possible mistakes,I've made

Well, my answer to Sarper's post was like this:

Thanks for posting the translated interview and showing once again this 'face' of Dalaras.

I think it's time for these 2 neighbour countries to come more close together.....but I fear it still will take some time.

As I don't have a copy of the translated article on my pc,I am happy to see that you could quote it instead of me Nikolas.

But there's a mistake with the new subtitle.

The great disaster was in 1999 not last year.

Btw this concert was the first and only Dalaras concert broadcasted on a Turkish TV channel (TRT 2,a state channel)

S Gursu

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0