Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

What a song may remind you...

64 posts in this topic

Earlier I read a post of Yiapos who said that he was waking up with a song of Dalaras every 6 in the morning. I find such a topic interesting, I mean to connect a song with a life experience. So here I start!

I still remember when I was 17 years old, the day I gave panhellenic exams in maths for University entrance. When I woke up I opened the radio and there was the song "Oi eleftheroi ki oreoi" - "The free and the fair". Then I switched it off, drank my milk and went to the exams center. And I succeeded...More to come...

Great topic Nikola ....Two songs stand out in my mind..The first is  "Peristeri mou",every time i hear this song it reminds me of the early days(1984) dating before i married my wife,i would drive around listening to this song thinking about my future..The next song is "Exo ena kafene" this is the song that Dalaras dedicated to me on stage during a show.He was in between songs and thanked me for a gift that i had given him and also said that i was his freind and that he wanted to dedicate the song to me..I was amazed by this gesture and his kindness.The fact that it happened in my home town in front of freinds and family made it more special.I will always remeber these two songs and there special meaning..

"O Metoikos". I'm fourteen, it's the Easter holidays, I've been plunging about ice-cold rivers all day, the camp-fire is burning and we sing "avec ma gueule de meteque"...

"Taxidi sta Kythira". The first Dalaras song someone translated for me, she took so much trouble over it and I was so glad to understand a little - my first Greek words...

"Paraponemena Logia". The first I learned by heart. Long lonely night drives, the winter rain, the asphalt rushing by, me at the wheel singing at the top of my lungs to fend off boredom, sleep, death...

Chris Apostolakis,those are two great songs...sorry that they bring up all those old feelings and memories... I guess Dalaras songs can stur up good emotions and bad......Hopefully they will all be happy ones from here on...

Ola kala ki ola oraia. 6 countries in 10 days. 1984. A tape from orfeas. George is giving everything he has at the end and a fan is screaming.

Yugoslavia, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, France, Austria, one song.

Well okay just to add my 2$ worth.

I have always been emotionally touched from the songs Dalaras made in dedication for Cyprus.

Primarily the 'Foni Patridas' CD, 'Ton Athanaton', and 'Es Gin Enallian Kyprion'.

The reason is after having first watched the video "Kypro Den Se Xehno" back in 1991, one could not help but feel touched in the heart with such beautiful ballads that Dalaras sang for the island; and later to have witnessed this myself when I got to participate in the "Justice for Cyprus" concert 3 years later.

These songs first introduced from the video including the Meadowlands video 'Dalaras sings for Cyprus' and then afterwards having these same songs on cd to listen too over and over again, reminds me just how exquisite and beautiful the island really is and what it means to me.

The icing on the cake is when I got to visit the country 2 years ago and the passion from its people and the love of its history with its historical places was undoubtfully true from all the songs Dalaras sang for this little country.  That will always remain special and dear to me.

Christo

Once again you catch the point!

Especially for the Cyprus issue, noone can really understand the problem if he doesn't go to the place. I have been there too and I couldn't behave as a tourist. You can't do so when you see people looking at their homes, from a close distance, and are not allowed to go there. You can't do so when you watch the ghost town of Ammohostos. In Nikosia, I went to the border of the town. In the "dead" zone, I saw a shop. It used to serve food till 1974. Now it is untended. Can you bring to your mind that this sho was lively one day? Maybe we should start a new topic about the songs for Cyprus. They are really wonderful!

I completely agree with you Nikolas.Especially "Logariasate Lathos"explains the case clearly and also there is another song lyrics by a Turkish Cypriot,I think her name was Nese.If you remember the that song could you write its name?

Concerning Ibrahim Tatlises:Ok.his voice is great,but in my idea,that's all.I can't imagine his name with name of Dalaras.This is not offence to you.Please dont misunderstand me.If you wish,I can explain you my opinion about Tatlises's lyrics,styl, via mess.By the way,have you received cassettess that I sent you two weeks ago?And how about your trip to Turkey?

Kenan!!!

The postman rang our bell 1 hours ago...he asked for Alike or Nikolas Galanis...:) I told him that we don't have an Alike, does it mean Mr in turkish?

Anyway, I just got the tapes in my hands and BIG BIG THANKS! I will start from Tatlises. I didn't put him next to Dalaras, I just like his voice very much. He reminds me of greek psaltes. (those who chant byzantine music). Anyway thanks again. We have postponed the trip to Turkey for next Wednesday, the 15th of August. We won't pass from your place. We will be 4 persons and will go to find and visit the villages of our grandfathers before they come to Greece. Those are quite lower in the map than Istanbul. Do you want me to send you a card from Edirne? Isn;t it funny?

That s great eventually you received cass.I didn.t go to post offfice to send,our officeboy went.Alike?It doesnt mean in Turkish.How did he read the address,I ll ask him.Your grandfathers roots in Anatolia?When did emigrate to Greece?During big exchange?

Actuality Turkish Classical Musics roots come from byzantin music.But afterwards Turkish Classical Music improved independently from byzantin music.As far as I know these two kind of music share several mode.In Fener Patriarchate every sunday they chant with these modes.One week "ussak"mode,another week "rast"etc.I advice you Turkish Classical Music.

Do you remember the song that Turkish Cypriots by lyrics?

Kenan, I would also be interested to read more detailed what's your opinion about Tatlises. So perhaps you could post here in the Club what you wanted to tell Nikolas via messenger? Perhaps you could write about Tatlises in the topic "Artists"? (I know that the general title there is GREEK music but I think Nikolas will make an exception - all the more as HE was the writer who mentioned Tatlises first :).)

(Edited by Michael at 12:40 pm on Aug. 9, 2001)

Kenan of course we come from Anatolia (!!!!), what we call in fact Eastern Thrace. (We call Western Thrace the greek part and Northern Thrace or Romilia the bulgarian part).

My dad's family is from a village named Iroiko (not recalling the turkish named now) and my mum's from Kioupli. In fact, about 80% and more of the citizens of Alex/polis are refugees from Anatolia. And yes, they came in the big exchange, after 1922. Most Alex/polis citizens came from the town of Enos, I don't exactly know what you call it but I heard that it is a small village now. (and I will go!) Especially for my father's village, we have information that it is kept very much as it was when they left, so who knows, maybe I find our house! (I will picture every single corner of the vilages).

The song you are looking for is called "I diki mou i patrida" and is one of the best regarding Cyprus.

Last year when I visited Turkey, I made the mistake to return back from the customs in the north of Evros(from Edirne) and not from the one close to Kessan. The result: It was closed, it closes at noon! We will say why in another post. :)

There, we pressed turkish soldiers to bring some officer to talk with, thinking that they will let us leave the country from that border! We had real fun with these soldiers because we couldn't understand each other! :) :) :)

An old man came, walking from the village close there and he spoke to us in Greek (he was a local resident, not any kinf of ooficer). When I heard him speaking, I said to myself "HE IS CYPRIOT I BET". But I didn't want to ask him for obvious reasons. Maybe he knew Greek because he lived close to the border, who knows. But after we talked for a while and he helped us understand the soldiers, I couldn't do else and I asked him how come he speaks greek. And he told us that he is from Cyprus! A Turkish-Cypriot. His accent was so similar to the Cypriots'!!!!

What yesterday's favourite song reminded me of...

Dalaras at the Den Haag concert.

The first part: songs mostly unfamiliar to the audience. They just sat there, puzzled and uneasy.

The band starts 'Trelos yia sena'

Dalaras is singing "I trela mou eisai esi"

Everybody around me is turning! staring! frowning! disapproving!

I am singing too loudly. I can't help it. I mean every word...

And I was so happy...

Nikolas,we Turkish people call Eastern Thrace that area aswell.I meant for Anatolia Micra Asia from Kadikoy(Halkedonia)till Persia.

Your mum s town Kioupli must be Kulplu in Turkish.Enos is Enez.many place s name in Turkey come from greek.Like Izmir(H Smirni),Istanbul(H stin poli)Do you know your town s Turkish name:Dedeagac.Besides as you know we have a lot of share words in our languages.

Your adventure with Turkish soldiers is very funny.Turkish Cypriots have accent in their Turkish aswell.When you hear  a Turkish Cypriots speaking immediately you understand he or she Cypriot.

Kenan

Then we don't come from Anatolia but from Eastern Thrace...:) You know, the lights from Enez are visible from Alexandroupolis, if you look to the sea, to the south-east. I would love to see the lights of Alexandroupolis (Dedeagac = the tree of the caloyer?) from Enez! I will do it next week! :yes:

Ela Nikolas

Des se eho akousi akoma

Mou piris tin Diefinsi?

Tha ehis eufkeria na mou to yrapsis afto to cd Ap to Tsitsani prin na fiyis yia tin Englia?

Ke pes mou ti goustaris esi?  Na se ftiaxo ke yo ena cassetta me pot pouri tipota?

June 1993, Galissas on Syros.

First evening in the hotel, first evening of holidays, but i was feeling very sad and bad.

Just to explain, from Sept. 1990 until then, I always made holidays on Karpathos and of course after this often I made a lot of friends there.

I don't know who or what made it happen I was sitting on Syros ( actually it was me!) but I felt so lonely!!

I went to sleep and next morning I said to myself, this is holidays, you wanted it this way, now you have to get the best of it. Give Syros a chance! And I went to the beach.

After swimming I had a frappe in a small place. While drinking I watched someone repairing his car. Suddenly, from the radio of this car, I heard a voice singing, Dalaras!! A very nice, soft song, which I didn't know and it ended with the words:'S'agapo'.

You don't believe how good I felt afterwards!! This wasn't the only time I heard this song in these two weeks. By then I knew the title and that it was music from a tv serie. In Galissas, there wasn't a music shop, so I went to Ermoupolis. 'No, not yet, maybe next tuesday!' So next tuesday I went there again. 'No, it didn't come yet, maybe next tuesday!'

But next tueday my holidays were already over!!

The plane back to Germany left from Mykonos. As I had some hours to wait, in the late afternoon I went to town, took some photos, and found a cheap taverna where I eat a little.., thank God only little and cheap!!

On my way home I crossed a music shop and of course they had the cd. So once again with my last drachmes I bought the music I was longing for. And it was really expensive ( Mykonos price!)

ps. you know which song I talked about?

ps..some time later I got to know, Dalaras' summerhouse is on this island!!

I also have a song that I have linked it not with a certain experiance but with a certain person and a certain problem in human relationships is "Το πεπρωμένο" (To pepromeno). Well, this song reminds me of a very sweet and sensitive man. This guy was married for 17 years and was(and still is) a great friend of mine ( He also likes Dalaras!). However, I don't know how or why but he fell in love with another woman quite younger than him. I understand that something was wrong and I asked him. And he answered with this song... He said: " Do you remember a song that said about love that nomatter what you give you must not wait for a reward, that you must give what you can and then leave? And that there is no theory and each one of us tryes to do his best as he knows and as he can?"  Since then everytime I listen to this song I remember him and I almost cry. Anyway. to not leave you with questions his relation with this woman was never completed and after a long torching period he returned to his family (whitch by the way never understand anything of this situation). And they live happily ever after... ( I hope )

SPQR,

you surprise me more and more! I think you are very mature for your age. Well done to you!! I hope you keep going on like that.

I also like this song,"Peprwmeno", but I don't relate it with a personal biom. I have to admit I believe deeply its "wise" words.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0