Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

What a song may remind you...

64 posts in this topic

The way he says

... τα χασικλήδικα!

like a naughty boy tasting stolen chocolate or something

And that im-po-ssi-ble unpronounceable word απαγορευμένα which I keep trying to repeat and it trips my tongue every single time!!!

"The way he says

... τα χασικλήδικα!"

That's true, Geeske... like a naughty little boy!

"And that im-po-ssi-ble unpronounceable word απαγορευμένα which I keep trying to repeat and it trips my tongue every single time!!!"

But the word "απαγορευμένα" is not unpronounceable... In fact, Greek is a very easy language to pronounce. The only difficulty in pronouncing this wonderful language is to pronounce the γ correctly before an α, an ο or an ου. That's my experience, anyway.

Practise, Geeske, practise...

Did you know that Dalaras was critisized (again... :blush:  :sarcasm: ) for saying that kind of songs at this concert (and generally)?

The reason is so #####:( :sarcasm:

Francois, I didn't mean that Greek in general is unpronounceable -  it's that one word in particular that trips my tongue when I try and say it after him.

4 years ago Dalaras was on European tour together with Ελένη Τσαλιγοπούλου and Μάριος Φραγκολυλης!

This was the 1st time he performed the song 'μια βραδιά στο Λεβερκούζεν' in Germany!

And excatly the 2nd of May 1998 I was watching the concert at Frankfurt, Alte Oper. We were very lucky to meet him after the concert at the artist entrance. As we were a group of ca. 12 persons Dalaras asked: You're all from Leverkusen?

No, I said, at this moment very proudly, only me!!!

So, it's already 4 years ago, but he's still singing it......

.....maybe because of the 'Λεβερκούζεν κουτί', hand numbered ( 1/1)  ;)

Very nice railwaystation!!

Sorry I can't post the photo, as it went into the 'Λεβερκούζεν κουτί'!!

But the more important is the 'λίγω έξω'!

As I'm going to see Pyx Lax in Duesseldorf I'll try to ask Manos Xidous about the story!

Well, this topic like almost a provocation for me, so again the same: "Mi mou thimoneis, matia mou", I am a young girl, we hear it for a good night and my father is, without any poetical exaggeration there,  moved to tears again and again by listening of this... A song we were hearing and adoring many years before we knew the name of Giorgos Dalaras himself.

After I understood the text, I was astonished: the meaning of this was so similar to this I felt so many years without understanding.

This song was then present (well, concidence?) by the first "adult" tenderness experience in my life. So, it remains the number one up till now,

dixi, και με γλυκο χαμογελο...

Olga

Εκεί που σμίγει η δύση κι η ανατολή

hadn't heard it in a long time. Unexpectedly, it put me back in the luggage retrieval queue at Schiphol airport, and brought back the ominous feeling that came over me there. The feeling went away though, this time, even quicker than it did back then.

well, I don't know if it is the exact place to put my view on "fado corrido de Coimbra", but here it goes. I had read some messages talking about Dalaras singing Coimbra, so I heard it today and was quite surprised because I was expecting another fado called precisely Coimbra. It's something very famous in Portugal, like "La vie en rose" for the french or "O sole mio" for the italian. Nice but common place. As it wasn't that song but another one, I was glad and particularly because Dalaras has indeed a good voice for fado, specially the coimbra type. Let me explain, hoping not to bother you: There are mostly two big cities in Portugal that produce fado: Coimbra, the students' city and Lisbon, the capital. Both fados are different, so that's why I was saying that he has a great voice for coimbra fados. His accent is quite good actually though it's better when he sings in spanish, but I confess that the portuguese accent is not as easy as the spanish one. I'm not so satisfied with the guitar part, and in general a fado corrido should be sung and played just a little bit faster. Anyway, the overall impression is very positive. Furthermore, I am specially fond of the sound of portuguese guitar, which is different from the traditional one and in a way reminds a lot of the bouzouki sound, and I'm glad Dalaras included a portuguese song in his album.

that's it, I hope you didn't find this too boring.

brett

Thank you Brett,it is very interesting to hear your comments on this lovely song;I too like it very much.

Also interesting to hear about differences between Lisbon and Coimbra fado;what exactly is that?

Greetings from Holland,Marijke

:)

To Geske, Marijke and to whom it may interest,

The fado is a kind of typically portuguese song- some say its links are as remote as the moorish occupation of Portugal, I'm not very sure- and it has to do with a peculiar feeling to which we have a word: "saudade" which more or less means nostalgia, longing, blues for someone or for one's country. So usually fado is sung sadly but there are different types of fado as I explained. It's hard to tell the difference between Coimbra and Lisbon's fados because it's easier to hear than to explain. As I said, Coimbra is the city of the students-I'm sure those who visited Portugal went there, so its fado has to do with the life and specially love heartbreaks of university students. The fado from Lisbon has different variations, one of which is fado malandro or kind of naughty fado, it's not the usual saudade fado, sad and melancholic. It has to do with men that are inconstant and make women suffer (Ah, the old theme...), it's more cheerful, though. All I said is extremely superficial and I'm no fado expert myself. I must add that its maximum exponent was Amália Rodrigues and that it's always accompanied by portuguese guitar. There is another fado singer nowadays who is very good: Dulce Pontes and another one Mariza who apparently has last week been elected the finest voice in the world..As for that, I don't agree with those classifications. What about our Dalaras???

Well, if you want to hear the fado called Coimbra I thought you were talking about at first, listen to Caetano Veloso sing it in his album "Omaggio a Federico e Giulieta". He's an excellent brazilian singer and he has a version of Luna Rossa which I confess I like better than the Dalaras one. So, as I was saying, he sings the fado called Coimbra.

Having said ALL that, I hope I didn't bother you too much.

Hasta siempre amigos,

brett

:)

Hi Brett,thank you very much for the explanation. This makes sense. I have been at fado-nights in Lisbon;never in Coimbra though. I recognize this Lisbon variations. I have also music from Rodrigues and Pontes,but the Coimbra is new to me....so I'll go and listen to Caetano Veloso.

and to go back to our topic here...when I hear our Dalaras sing Coimbra,my mind is always at one of those particular nights in Lisbon.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0