Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikolas

What a song may remind you...

64 posts in this topic

First of all,I feel a bit strange that in a greek site ,about a Greek artist, I'm writing in English,but since ,as I've noticed,many of the members of the club aren't Greek,then english is the better way of being understandable...never mind...

Most of the people have spoken about a song of Dalaras that reminds them something nice or that it is connected with something nice in their life.I also have in mind such songs,but I want to tell you for a song,one of the best Dalaras have sung the last decade,but which upsets me everytime I hear it.The song is "Καράβια στην στεριά"(Karavia stin steria)by M.Matsas.Some years ago,I had an affair with one girl,student like me in Ioannina.I loved her a lot,we lived together for 1 1/2 year and then all the sudden she left me...I was seeing here for some weeks after that,as if I had any hopes,and in one conversation we had that period she told me she was very confused but nevertheless very happy too,and that the song which expressed her feelings that time was the one I said above....

Since then I cannot hear that song without making dull thoughts,although I find it very beutiful...

More are about to come...  

When I was writting my post to the thread 'best place, best time to listen Dalaras', I rememberd the following:

Leaving to Thessaloniki to see Dalaras and Bregovic at Fix. The plan went very early, I had to get up at 3.00h in the night. After getting up my 1st walk is always to the kitchen, put on the radio and the coffeemachine.Then I go into the bathroom.

This morning I was just under the shower, I heard Dalaras!

' Anna, now you're getting totally crazy' I told myself!

But the singing kept on.

So I left the shower, wet as I was, standing in the kitchen and listening to 'λίγο, λίγο το κρασί και το φιλί, και το λίγο γίνεται πολύ'

Dalaras at German!! radiostation!!!

Three weeks ago, friends drag me to a club (well, athough I don't need to apologize again about this, but this place on a weekday can be really nice) downtown Boston. I am having already too much to drink (since they dragged me they had to drive so I could drink) and as it is almost 1:00am I am hearing a very familiar introduction from the speakers. I say to myself: ok now, you are drunk, take it easy. It was either this or I was looking forward to Saratoga too much, up to an illusion state of mind. My friend hits me on the back saying: There you go. They found you, even here.

So, I said, my ears don't lie. And if they are why is my heart racing?

And yes. Ki an se thelo ki an me theleis tipota de menei, live from Iera Odos II

I love and know by heart many songs sung by Goerge,but the one that I believe has been sung better that any,expresses me,my feeling and my view of life,is "To pepromeno".Because anything I have done in my life so far and I know I'll never regret about it,has been done because of the inspiring lirics of this song.Because "Sto pepromeno sou na dinis simasia kai na prosehis pos vadizis stin zoi...".It is very important to watch every step in your life,think before taking it and when you are sure about it,take it in style...

My all-time favourite song would have to be "Tora Klais" from the "Ta tragoudia mou" LP...It takes me back to a school excursion to Corfu, back in 1983.  We were listening to it on the coach on our way there.....it was amazing....40 or so young kids, screaming the words of this song at the top of our voices, driving the teachers (and the bus driver) berserk...hehe

Later that year i also saw Dalaras live at the Olympic Stadium concert...needless to say, it was an unforgettable experience!!!

Darn!!...Now I'm feeling nostalgic...I think I'll go and put that song on, just for old time's sake...catch you all later!

There are two songs that remind me of my school. The one is "Stin Alana" and the other the "Thelw na ta pw". The first one was sang by our small band during the 17th of November in our school (you know on the usual celebrations for the events on the Polytechnio). And there was a kid about 14 years old who was playing extremely great bouzouki, and the children were singing so nice that we all -students and teachers- got so moved that some of us had tears on our faces...  

And the other one I have linked it to an excursion in Nauplio and Epidauros. On the way back on the bus we were sitting me, a friend of mine and a teacher.We were quiet, whereas all the others were talking. A while ago we had put on the a cassette with Dalaras (the one with the live recordings at the Mann Auditorium) but we were force to stop it because the others were complaining. So there we were the three of us, speachless,drown in our thoughts, when suddently we noticed that we were all holding our kombologia. This teacher said "What happend? It looks like we've turned this place into a monastery ("koinovio" was the exact word he used). He was followed by our silence and then he reminded us of this song "Thelw na ta pw". I'll never forget his expression and the way I felt. All three of us had something on our minds, that we wanted to talk about and we didn't know how, because we were afraid. It was a very touching moment and though we never revealed our secrets, this song has haunt me. Even now, 2 years later, when I hear it, I can't help remembering this teacher and how close we came for a single moment...

This week the song 'Skoni' reminds me of what lies ahead in the acts of the so called 'holy war' to follow.

As the US and NATO prepares for battle and conbat to begin,

I remember when first watching the Live video of Dalaras from the Katrakio Concert and there were giant TV screens behind him showing video clips fro mthe the song he was singing of "Skoni",

It featured Stealth Warplanes and other huge Airplanes  dropping bombs high above the air on to the ground below to hit and destroy their targets and other designated areas.

Now that vivid scene paints a true picture as whats to follow in the next unprecented war.

NO!!!

for the love of everything worth loving, not that.

"you can never put an end to war that way" as Bob Dylan was singing. It will be all our lives lost in the dust.

1995 was the important year for me, it was the year of my pan-hellenic exams for University entry. A lot of pressure for the boys and girls. That year came out the song "Τα βεγγαλικά σου μάτια". During this difficult year you could hardly find someone to go out or for some leisure. I remember that I had a friend, Aris, with whom after the lessons we always went for some table tennis. We both knew this song even before it was released because there was a man in a radio station who had it before the release date - the station based in Thessaloniki. (Radio Thessaloniki, 94.5 and the man was Dimitris Alexiou) But of course people didn't know it yet, although that after years it became a must for every Dalaras concert. And so, just about a couple of weeks before the exams, we left our lesson in the half and went to a concert of Christos Nikolopoulos in the open theatre of Alex/polis. Some singers were with him. When the first note of the piano plays, we look to each other. We think that this is it (noone knows it in the audience) but then again, because noone knows it it must not be it! And then a woman starts singing..."’ναψα όλα τα φώτα..." and we can't believe it! :mad: We are sitting in the last row and Aris says that we should drop from the back...! So, every time I hear this song, I remember my exams, this concert and Aris, with whom I have got lost...no idea where he is... :(

I went through my college years listening to Dimitris Alexiou, every day 6:00 to 8:00pm, you can imagine why. He is the biggest Dalaras fan-radio producer. He used to make the 10 most popular songs every Saturday and he would always put at least two Dalaras songs. And of course his top 10 had nothing to do with the charts released by the record companies.

Anyway doe he still have his show? Do you know Nikola?

Soc

Of course, yes, he does! Not the top ten but the every day broadcast. And I think it is still 6-8! When I go back home, I always tune to this station, not as much as before but still very much. You know I like this guy very much. I also met him in his bar, he owes one in Toumpa with the name Notes. And now comes the story I just remembered.

I went there in September of 1997. I spoke to him and told him that me and my company came from very far to his bar because we knew that he likes Dalaras. And we wanted him to play some Dalaras instead of the rubbish he was playing by that moment. And he promised...and after about half an hour, music stops, a curtain is removed, a big wall screen appears and yes, for about one hour we watch selected parts of Dalaras concerts!!! Not on the stereo, on the wall please! That man is really crazy! And soc, he has a lot of unreleased stuff, songs I mean, by Dalaras. From rehearsals etc...

By the way, one other producer from Radio Thessaloniki that I like very much is Spiros Fokas. Remember him?

Yes, at some point they used to do the 6-8 show together, if I remember right. He was more into the entexno kind of songs. I remeber all of them. I was listening to this station religioulsy. Him, Spiros Fokas, Stefanos Diamantopoulos, Kristalis, the "me geia to kranos" show and others. Only Vakaros I couldn;t listen to when he joined, since I was a gerek music kind of guy. One of the things I really miss here is this station. I found comfort with Melodia for some time (isn't it funny that I find similarities between Odysseas Ioannou and Stefanos Diamantopoulos, Kostas Thomaidis and Spiros Fokas, and Ksenofon Rarakos and Dimitris Alexiou) but they don't have real audio anymore. So, I am stuck with the Polis FM recorded program. Oh well....

Soc

I discovered this station one cold night of February, 1993. It was about 2 in the morning and it was Spiros Fokas playing only songs based on poems of Kavvadias. There I started, I noted the frequency and then I listened to Dimitris Alexiou every afternoon, Kristallis as well, I think he was 2-6 in the morning except weekends, am I right? By that time Alexiou and Diamantopoulos were doing the 6-8 together with the, what they called them, "ματωμένα τραγούδια".

As for Megia to kranos, one of the guys, Dimitris Manousis comes from my place, did you know it? By the way soc, there is a hidden link to live play a station, Erotikos FM. I am sure you know it, it was created by Diamantopoulos and Maroglou as a music brother of Radio Thessaloniki. The link is not public, however, once I tried, just like this, to type http://www.radiothessaloniki.gr and there was such an experimental page with three links. One of them is a live stream of Erotikos FM! There is another that should be Radio Thessaloniki but doesn't work....:mad::(

Quote from Sarantis, posted on Aug. 06 2001,18:34

Great topic Nikola ....Two songs stand out in my mind..The first is  "Peristeri mou",every time i hear this song it reminds me of the early days(1984) dating before i married my wife,i would drive around listening to this song thinking about my future..The next song is "Exo ena kafene" this is the song that Dalaras dedicated to me on stage during a show.He was in between songs and thanked me for a gift that i had given him and also said that i was his freind and that he wanted to dedicate the song to me..I was amazed by this gesture and his kindness.The fact that it happened in my home town in front of freinds and family made it more special.I will always remeber these two songs and there special meaning..

"Exo ena Kafene" is probably one his most artistic peices.  Just listening to this song makes me understand that life is not so bad afterall!

:razz:

"Life is not so bad afterall" ?  :razz:

It seems most of us are melancholic here!

"Se kseno oneiro" is a song I used to hear when I was utterly in love with a girl... I was just lying in my bed hearing this great song while thinking of her...

aah... thank you George for accompanying me these hard hours

"Ti na sas pw gynaikes" is also a great song that reminds me of the last year of school and the exams

great performance by George!!!

Hello, just checking out how the new layout of the Dalaras club works...So, far so good!! Sending a picture.I hope it works.

post-24039-dal1.jpg

Last Saturday on Cyprus, one of the random days during this week with sun. So, what do I do? Lie down on the sunbed, put the headphones of the walkman into my ears and listen to....my oldest cassetta 'τα τραγουδια μου'!

I don't remember exactly which song it was, as there are some where's mentioned the 'αργιλε'! (Btw I still get red ears remembering my question about it!)

Ok. the cassetta was finished and I went back to my room.

Crossing the foyer of the hotel, what do you think I saw??

One guy, sitting there in the couch and...smoking the αργιλε!

First time in my life I saw this!

I told Lynne about it and she said they should forbid him to smoke there! Is it true, it's not allοwed to do in public?

It is allowed in public in some countries (Egypt e.g.). Even in France, you can smoke the narguileh but you are not permitted to smoke anything else than tobacco, of course. You can buy specially blended tobacco for argile here in Lille.

I must admit I have never tried...

The way he says

... τα χασικλήδικα!

like a naughty boy tasting stolen chocolate or something

And that im-po-ssi-ble unpronounceable word απαγορευμένα which I keep trying to repeat and it trips my tongue every single time!!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0