christos-regnis

Ελευθερία Αρβανιτάκη

138 posts in this topic

I would like to have your opinion about Elefteria Arvanitaki. She is one of my favourite greek female singers (beautiful warm voice and unique technique) and i believe tha she has an autonome course and she also maintain a standard quality in her works, collaborations and low profile being a standard value for me. I think that she may not be a very communicative person not by her singing but with her incovenience inspeaking sometimes but it's not a big problem really !

I would also like to know in which of fer concerts / live performances you have gone in the past and write your impressions !!

Regnis, my knowledge of Greek music is very superficial but E.Arvanitaki is one of my favourite female singers too. Her technique is what I first appreciated.

I have never seen her in concert yet but I don't despair !

Arvanitaki is one of the most outstanding Greek female singers.

The first ever song I heard from her was `Ο ΔΙΓΕΝΗΣ-O DIGENIS" from the "Kostis Palamas,Oli tou Mousiki mes stin agapi vale "CD in which Dalaras also sings 4 songs.

Her voice is very good and she uses it very well.

My favorite Arvanitaki CD is "Η ΝΥΧΤΑ ΚΑΤΕΒΑΙΝΕΙ-I NIHTA KATEVAINEI" :blush:

And unfortunately I have never been to any of her concerts :(:confused:

S Gursu

I could as well put this post to the topic 'What a song reminds you'!!

When I hear the song ' Δυνατά, δυνατά' ,always reminds me to a concert Eleftheria Arvanitaki did in Colonia ( I think it was Nov. 1997)!!

We were sitting on the base and just above us there was a big balcony, crowed with enthusiastic Greeks! And with this song!! I really feared the balcony would break! It was already 'swinging' with the rhythm! :(

And I have the CD 'ΖΩΝΤΑΝΑ ΣΤΟΥΣ ΒΡΑΧΟΥΣ ΚΑΛΟΚΑΙΡΙ 95' and it's just great! Only 3 songs...but!!!!!!!

The 1st one is an instrumental with Ara Dinkjian playing the ούτι, Μάνος Αχαλινωτόπουλος κλαρίνο!! Αχιλλέας Περσίδης κλασική κιθάρα!! Βαγγέλης Καρίπνς κρουστά!! κ.α. Bravo!

The other songs are 'Μένω εκτός' and ' Δυνατά' and you get the atmosphere of this concert!

I think that the tour that she did in Greece (50 concerts!) and aboard in 1997 was one of her best ever !! You must have seen her in a great moment.

I really also like "Edo na meineis - Tis Kalinyhtas ta filia (Nikolopoulos - Nikolakopoulou), "Me to idio mako" & "Den Apanta" (Mitzelos - Nikolakopoulou), "Zoi Klemmeni" kai "Efyges Noris" by Stamatakis Spanoudakis or "Erotiko" by Nikos Ksydakis.

She has also collaborated with George Dalaras in 1991, in his European Tour along with Elli Paspala.

-----------

She has also collaborated with George Dalaras in 1991, in his European Tour along with Elli Paspala.

:mad: Don't remind me!!

The 14th of Oct. 1991 Dalaras did a concert at Colonia!! And I was in Greece!!!!! Came back the 15th!!!!!!

Thanks for the information.

I know it. She 's coming in Thessaloniki at 11/09 and i' m waiting to buy a ticket ! (Η προπώληση εισητηρίων σύνηθως αρχίζει καμιά εβδομάδα πριν τη συανυλία)

-----------

I have to agree with you Niki, I can't listen to her for more than one or two songs at a time. She is coming to Cyprus but I don't think I could sit through a whole 2 hours of her singing - sorry :) for those who like her :blink:

Can you believe this Lynne, I have the same problem with Alexiou !

There is that something in her voice which doesn't agree with me :blink:

I have never seen her in concert yet, therefore I still have a good chance to appreciate the excellent artist I know she is !

It's a strange thing to me that I prefer deep mezzo/contralto voices when listening to opera and higher female voices in Greek music :)

Yes, and I was there and she left no impression on me - none whatsoever ... This says nothing about "is she good or not", and it says nothing about "do I like her or not" - you know that when Dalaras is singing, I'm lost to anyone else.

I have (or had) the same problem as Niki, with that high, slightly "acid" voice, but ... the more I hear her, the more I like her.

Which is a pleasant thing to have happen, always.

I have to agree with you Niki, I can't listen to her for more than one or two songs at a time.

That's what I was thinking and saying to myself a few minutes ago... She is a nice girl, wraia tragoudakia klp, but not for more than 15 or 20 minutes. A good singer, but not very creative: Greece needs something else. I may, of course, be mistaken, but that's my impression today.

Well, I like very much her CD tragoudia gia tous mines

Her voice is very good but I seam to have a slight problem with voices that sing in the upper notes...  I suppose it's a matter of getting used to it, but I cannot listen to them for a long time (p.s. as I do with Dalaras, or with Aleksiou to use a female example)  

I have to agree with you Niki, I can't listen to her for more than one or two songs at a time.  She is coming to Cyprus but I don't think I could sit through a whole 2 hours of her singing - sorry  :music: for those who like her :blink:

I certainly can't say that Arvanitaki's voice and artistic skills are as good as Alexiou's or Galani's or Moskoliou's or...

That would be a kind of exaggerating her but if I am asked to name the female Greek singers whom I like,she would "undoubtfully" be in the list :pity::music::)

S Gursu

:pity:

Yuck

that goes the same for me as well,

there is something about Arvantitakis voice and style I don't like.

It's sounds to nasally.

:)

I certainly can't say that Arvanitaki's voice and artistic skills are as good as Alexiou's or Galani's or Moskoliou's or...

Mosxoliou? :) I don't like her style at all and I surelly prefer Arvanitaki!

Don't you like Moscholiou, Apostolis? She is GRRREEAAT! I just love her "archontorebetika" and her "Tram to teleftaio"..., as well as the way she sang in Theodorakis' "Thalassina Feggaria".

Francois, you should also listen to her CD "H Viki Mosxoliou tragouda Spano" ("Η Βίκυ Μοσχολιού τραγουδά Σπανό"). Her voice and the songs on this record are simply fantastic! For me this is one of the most wonderful and important greek records I know.

I like both To tram To Teleftaio and I Viki Mosxoliou Tragouda Spano.But you shouldn't forget Viki Mosxoliou-Axehastes Epitihies.It's a very good collection.

S Gursu

A good singer, but not very creative: Greece needs something else.

As far as Eleftheria Arvanitaki is concerned I would say that she is possibly be one (or maybe the most creative female) of the most creative greek singers with only 8 personals albums in her 18-year solo career (since 1984) (and some albums also during the 5-year period when she was a member of the Opisthrodomiki Kompania), 4 live albums, 1 live cd-single and 5 participations in live albums but also with 44 (!) (since 1981) studio participations in various cds of Hatzidakis, Mikroutsikos, Kipourgos, Kougioumtzis, Mavroudis, Mitzelos, Reboutsika, Papadimitriou, Savopoulos, Ksydakis, Spanoudakis, Mahairitsas Nikolopoulos, Portokaloglou, Mamagakis, Kraounakis, Paiteris, Germanos, Ioannidis and many other greek composers and creators generally.!! Arvanitakis appearance out of Greece is also significant with significant sales in Spain and in Europe generally and also participations in ethnic and jazz festivals. The other significant thing about her is that she continuously ameliorates (improves) her (cap)abilities and the limits of her voice (dynatotites). Her voice of today has no relation with her voice of 80s (it was really a voice that sang in high - pitched - tunes) or even her voice of 90-91-92 After these years she did a lot studies that brought her voice in a even better level. Although the voice of a singer has problems and gets worse as the years go ahead she (as Dalaras) makes her voice even better!! (As Arvanitakis example,.. Dalaras early voice of 70s or even the voice he has in the live recording of 1983 has no relation with the voice she has after 87-88, in nineties and until today :( , which is now very improved in her technical part although it preserves its emotion and tone (hroia) in full! ).

As far the other female singers who were metioned above I think that Galani has a technique at level near Arvanitaki (although their voices are different). On the other side I think that Aleksious voice has very little or no technique .especially the last 2-3 years.. but also in the past in many circumstances. I think she uses the emotion to cover her voices weaknesses. In my opinion .. it may be beautiful to listen to a good tone (hroia) and an emotional voice and way of singing but you will also like to listen some songs that demand technique , to a corona or something like that and I think that Aleksious singing has only emotion and no technique. As far Moscholiou is concerned, I cannot have a thorough opinion about her because I havent listened :att: to a lot of her cds but think she had a really great voice in the peak of her career during 60s and 70s but after 1990 her voice is not a voice at all !!! I have many times (during the last decade) listened to her on TV singing her great songs of the past or on the radio in her late works, and I was disappointed ..Where is her great voice? The lack of technique has led her voice to catastrophe as when she become 50 years old or so, she continued to sing in the same (high) tunes as she sang when she was 30 years old! Marinellas voice who has nearly the same age is in a much better level (Η μέρα με τη νύχτα , I would say in greek) as she used her voice more properly and with very good technique.. I hope that Haroula Aleksiou will keep her voice in good condition so as to give many more great moments in the future!!

:)

I don't know, really, Regnis... I have 4 or 5 of her CDs at home, but I very rarely listen to them the way I listen to Dalaras or Farantouri or Bellou for example... Maybe I should try to listen to her in a different way. I promise I'll try.. :):(:att:

Ok !! That was my own opinion !(along with some knowledge from my music and singing (φωνητική) studies)..!

I only wanted to hear some opinions about Eleftheria as there isn't a forum about her on the net (like the forum of Dalaras!) until now...

-----------

:):(

It's all right Regnis, we all have to learn hear, and I am certain that listening to Eleftheria tomorrow will be extremely nice, as I'll try and remember what you wrote about her...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead