Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Annemarie

America Insurrecta

10 posts in this topic

François, it seems very difficult to me to compare the original version Canto General ( Maria Farandouri and Petros Pandis) with Americia Insurrecta sung by Dalaras.

On one side you have the complete poem on the other an excerpt.

The circumstances surrounding the creation of the original version make it a unique work too.

Pandis is served by a deep, powerful voice and the force of his passion for the "cause" he is defending (il chante avec ses "tripes" autant qu'avec sa voix !).

The way he sings the part : ".el beso de las banderasapartando las carceles del suelo" is just incredible but on the whole his accent combined with the fierceness of his interpretation make it a little difficult to really appreciate Neruda's text.

The only version I have by Dalaras is from the concert with the Israel Philarmonic Orchestra.

I don't think this is his best interpretation.

I have seen him sing it live in London and I shall never forget it !

The power and the passion were there as if wanting to burst out of him but the text was given all its poetry.

I like his accent much better than that of Pandis too, as for the voiceyou know...... :)

I totally agree with you, Annette, good analysis. (but I had insisted on that song because of things that now belong to the past....) :)

I am very glad that someone finally talked about this great poem!

About the Dalaras version.

I agree that the version with the philarmonic of Israel is not his best.

The greatest version is the one from the album 100 years of cinema and Mikis Theodorakis

I mean it's glorious!

It's one of the perfomances that show who Dalaras really is!

If you don't have this version, try finding fast! :):)

My final opinion about this poem is that I prefer the ink and paper version: I'd be sitting alone somewhere out in the mountain, with no one around me, only birds singing and the gentle noise of the brook flowing downhill... and that wonderful poem to think about all day long...

I am very glad that someone finally talked about this great poem!

About the Dalaras version.

I agree that the version with the philarmonic of Israel is not his best.

The greatest version is the one from the album 100 years of cinema and Mikis Theodorakis

I mean it's glorious!

It's one of the perfomances that show who Dalaras really is!

If you don't have this version, try finding fast!  :wow:  :wow:

Thanks for the tip Pavlo, I'll certainly do it :)

That means it is perfectly all right to sing only one or two songs only :)

Well, I don't know, Annette, as Theodorakis, Neruda, Pandis and Farantouri worked for months on it to make it the 7 pieces work we know, to which a few other poems were added after Neruda's death.

Well, of course, it is perfectly all right to sing only one or two songs, just like Maria Callas in her recitals when she sang "Una voce poco fa" or "Casta Diva"

To all members of the club, listen to "Cuando sono la trompeta", by Pandis, from the 1974 or 75 live recording of "Canto General" at Karaiskaki; amazing reaction of the audience; splendid. :wow::wow:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0