Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aldebaran

If G.Dalaras ask us ...

68 posts in this topic

Did GD ever sing with his father in public?

No Melissa! He has never sang with his father on stage! However, I have heared that Loukas has visited Giorgo once at a theatre he was singing. I don't know if that's true.

GD really enjoys singing with kids (San Odyssea, Me Lene Popi, now with Areti)

I can add two more songs from the "Louna Park" album :

1) Τσιτσάνη και ροκ γωνία

2) Το μέλλον

...with Παιδική χορωδία Τυπάλδου :music:

I wish and I hope that Dalaras would sing for another 50 years!

But, I think that he will stop singing if he notices any decay in his voice.

P.S. : I don't want Dalaras's voice to be decayed!!

I tried to read the theme as it goes, and I had to stop now: uuu, please, don't telll Giorgos Dalaras would stop singing, because he is already fast 53!!! Everybody of my friends, who is looking on his latest photos, can't believe it. And we all hope his voice would remain so or even better for long years. Sorry, my imagination can't even say the other words.

An artist to sing with Dalaras? Maja Sikorowska. An young lady from my country from Cracow even, a daughter of a Polish musician and a Greek woman with the beautiful name Chariklia. An educated singer herself and the family knows the Dalaras family already. So, bot so very impossible.

A very nice idea, Franz :) , althougt I think the family Sikorowski will do it so and so, personally. They went now to Greece for their holidays, and Maja is going to remain here longer, if anything goes well. As the parents are back from their holidays, I'll ask them, don't be afraid... I am curious myself, how it is going to go!

A letter, yes... It's already almost a month ago, and the words are still smiling wholeheartedly...

:):):)

PS. You don't think I had NOT written back? :razz:

Mellissa, In responce to your post and without saying too much here ,i know for a fact that Dalaras will spend more time outside of Greece..And im not sure what being 'Greeker than most" has anything to do with spending more time outside of Greece..He already spends 30-40% of his time living outside of Greece.......

Mellissa, for the record i never said he would take up residence in "North America.....Is this your guess? Georgo is a true Patriot and would probably never stop living in Greece since he has three homes there but also living part time(not only for business)in another country is very possible........

Mellissa, do you live in North America ? USA or Canada ?Also, to answer another question from your earlier post.Georgeanna does play a musical instrument but probably not quite ready for the stage yet.......

Olga, yes she is learning a musical instrument and studies music but just in a normal way that children learn music in school....I did not mean for a career in music.Music is required here in elementary school and children pick an istrument to learn along with music theory.Both my sons have chosen violin...When Georgo was visiting once he saw my sons violin and asked my son to play something for him..Then he mentioned that Georgiana was learning an instrument as well....

Part I of 2 replies.

1. In continuing to mention songs Dalaras has sung with children, there is also the Mp3 NIkolas gave to us from his old site,

"Trexanderaki" with a group opf kids singing in the background.

It was never released on Cd but was featured in a video of GD called a personal biographical portfolio and you can seen the children singing with GD on stage to this pretty but sentimental Waltz.

How nicely said, Melissa... Love, adore, worship.

And what instrument is Giorgianna learning to play (do you know it, Saranti? sure....)? Could she once play in a duet with Areti during some concerts of GD?

A woman with the name Koujoumtzis? Must be Emilia, of course, the singer, the wife of Kyrios Stavros. Melissa, should you come across the song "To leoforio" ( I have it in the album "Ta megala tragoudia"), watch out! Makes me cry every time I hear to it. Even if I know the song so about 20 years.

The album you mean, must be "To ilioscopio"? An album, so very important, sooo inviting to dance in some sorrowful songs. Then you can understand, how the Greeks are dancing, when they are not joyful, but full of sorrow and pain.

:music:

Part II

Chris, SAY IT ISNT SO!!!!

where did you hear this from? Did he tell you this personally?

Just when he is ready to re-capture the realm in Greece too from Sfiakianakis, Plourtarhos, Remos and all the other light newbies to follow.

I hope he doesnt stop singing soon especially when there were a bunch of usin here ready to form a band with him

of course i"m joking but you know what I mean,

not happy news at all

One bad thing Kazandzithis did was stop singing early in his career and he was soon forgotten (by that I mean taken out of the spotlight and others like GD, Parios, Dionsyiou, Alexiou stepped in his footsteps and took over).

I hope that Dalaras will not make the same mistake because the minute your out of the scene, people seem to forget about you and quickly lose interest too unfortunately to say

which is probably what had happened to all the other previousPop singers who have mysterioulsy vanished without a trace!!!!!!!1

:confused:

One bad thing Kazandzithis did was stop singing early in his career and he was soon forgotten (by that I mean taken out of the spotlight and others like GD, Parios, Dionsyiou, Alexiou stepped in his footsteps and took over).

Kazantzidis was never forgotten; besides, he continued to record songs. He was never forgotten by the true lovers of good Greek music. I often listen to him, and I know a lot of Greek people who still listen to him. What he did will remain "eternal", just like what Bithikotsis did, just like what Bellou did, just like what Dalaras is doing.

Melissa,

if the Cd you are talking about isn`t `ILIOSKOPIO` as Olga has already mentioned, then it must be Maria Kougioumtzh., his daughter in the CD

`` έβρεχε ο κόσμος ``where GD sings 3 songs.

Oh !sorry, it can also be Aimlia,in `Υμνοι αγγέλων σε ρυθμούς ανθρώπων`

RENA

Olga, Piano

Christo ,i disagree slightly about what you say about Kazadzidis..My view of it was that during his absence due to the terrible contract he had signed,it made the true music lovers and fans long for his return.I know that during his absence there was a build up for his return.When he did return he sold many,many albums and there was great rejoice all over the world in Greek communities..No one forgets a legend like Kazadzidis...Maybe only the simple minded music listeners who follow the current Artist of the month on the greek charts but the true music lovers were always waiting and thinking about Kazadzidis.I think the same would hold true for Dalaras..He is a living legend just like Kazadzidis was ,and you dont just forget about these guys...They have layed too strong a foundation that is deeply rooted in Greek music history....If there was a greek music hall of fame they would be in it.........BTW, why is there not a Greek music hall of fame or a Greek musical musium ??? There should be a place to Show and honor the great musicians and composers of Greece..It seems to me that with Greece's vast history and great musical tradition there should be a hall of fame to honor these people and to show the different instruments and the changes that were made in the instruments from early on to now...I know that America has Rock and Roll Hall of fame and other types of musiums to honor its musical history..Why doesnt Greece have one or do they and i have never heard of it??I think its about time!!! What a better time than during the olympics to do this and show the whole world its great musical heritage and to honor the pioneers who brought greek music to where it is today......Sorry about the long post but i have always wondered about this and why it has never happened

To Sarantis, Francois

yes maybe so, I'll agree with you on that only because you and others who share the same point of view will attest to it.

In other words to you and I, we don't forget them, but as new generations are brought up & introduced to the greek music realm they soon forget about great legends and their legacy in music.

Here's my example why:

I would not have listened to Tsitsanis and Vamkakais & others like Bellow if it had not been to Dalaras,.

Only because of the way they recorded back then and the way they sung and played. It was terrible and in some ways it stil is although I don't mind it as much because I now love the music they sung and wrote introduced by Dalaras, Alexiou and Kazanthidis, Bithikotsis & others.

With that said,

Nobody younger then me while growing up was listening to Kazanthidis.

He made his money and retired yound and I don't think he ever re-captured the throne (meaning the top billing superstarhe once was) when he started to re-record later in his life.

One important variable to this is probably concernign the Greek Mafia.

and I quote from what someone once told me, "Kazanthidis was banned from ever singing live again in public in any 'Mayazi' or 'Synavilia"

"To do so would have been his deathbed, because he had forced other club venues to shut down when he was singing at someone elses club"

No other business could re-main open as long as he was performing

and I couldn't believe that rumor still remained true even after he came out of retirement in his elderly years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just imagine how much the Greek Night Life and Bouzoukia would have changed for the better if Kazandithis was singing Live in Public again before he died of course?

And about the Greek Hall of Fame?

Sarantis you are absolutely 100% right on this.

SInce you already have a Dalaras museum in your house,

maybe you could be the 1st person to attempt to start one up?

As I recall from an interview a while back Dalaras had said, "he bans and shuns the spotlight from the status quote on being famous and being a celebrity superstar".

But then again. I don't know how else he could have made it big in the Greek Music Industry without ever becoming Famous and having made his money a long time ago which he can now dedicate himself to worthy causes, fundraisers, benefits and noble deeds and have such a passion and willingness of love and admiration for his music to strive and become better and better?

He was one of those persons one could say, "he was born to be a musician, a prodigy if you will and destined to make it big all the way to the top.

Surely a person of his talents and his musical calibour, one cannot see it true for him to reach his all potential unless he made BIG and to do so he would have had to become Famous in doing so, There is just no other way in making it Big unless you first become famous while doing so!!!!!!!

And to do so requires a great deal of time and effort and not to mention one must be well off by being Financially Secure and Independent to spend an endless amount of time to practice and have a 100%devotion to his/hers music by doing nothing else.

So MinosEMI have a invested an enormous pricelist amount of production from Dalaras over the years and now It's time people like him take worthy of his contributions to the Greek Music Industry

How many great musicians do you know that are still waiting to make their calling in the music business as established artists but havent done so yet or havent made it?

The reason is they havent been discovered or no one will sponsor them to place them into the top.

Then you have the other Extreme with Pop singers here in the states like Britany Spears who can't sing a wortheless tune and the media places her on top of the Billboard charts. and then to find out she Lip Syncs & Karoekes on stage because no-one can dance, jump up & down and try and sing and hold their breath at the same time for so long.

And Not to mention she covers her act up with other semi-nude dancers behind her on stage.

Do you know of any other Greek Artists doing this?

I don't know of any and if there are, the trend is slowly beginning to spread there too then I'm afriad to say.

What made her famous is she dresses sexy up on stage

and wears sexy clothes. Thats all BIg Deal!!

Despina Vandi & Anna Vissi dress in the same attire and at least they can sing really good a milliion times better.

I know I went off on a tangent a little but I got into that topic from agreeing with Sarantis in that we should give thanks and credit to the Greek Artists (real noble and honoable Greek Musicians) who have given so much joy and significant history over the years.

I hope others in here will at least agree if not second the motion.

Thanks for your thoughts.

[...] I would not have listened to Tsitsanis and Vamkakais & others like Bellow if it had not been to Dalaras,.

Only because of the way they recorded back then and the way they sung and played. It was terrible and in some ways it stil is [...]

Christo, I listened to Tsitsanis, Vamvakaris, Bellou and many others a long time before I heard my first Dalaras song, and I loved them without having listened to Dalaras, because they are the greatest creators of rebetiko, and they are great with or without Dalaras, and their recordings are great, not terrible as you say (except for a few ones, but some of GD's recordings are not very good either...).

Three examples (they are only examples):

1) Vamvakaris in his song "M'ekapses tsahpina mou ki wraia"

2) Tsitsanis in "Ta lerwmena t'aplita"

2) Bellou in Papaioannou's song "Ase me, ase me".

Those songs are enough to show how great they are, no need of words...

Now the young people who "forget" about those legends, who forget about their musical past have no musical future. They only care about fashion, and I don't think much about fashion.

Many people younger than us just love those great singers and composers. One of my friends' sons here in Lille (he is 17) listens to Kazantzidis more than to any other singer. No need of Dalaras to discover those artists, and I can tell you that I kew rebetika and Bellou and Tsitsanis a long time before GD released his "50 xronia r. t."

GD singing their songs was a tribute to them, a great tribute, that's all.

Christo, i think you make some valid point and i agree on a few things you say..I want to say this about Kazadzidis..Although he was an amazing talent,the songs he wrote are incredible,his voice simply amazing and he was anice manbut ,but he did not live his life wisely..I must correct one thing about what you wrote.Kazadzidis did not retire young as a matter of fact he pissed his money away on gambling and at the horse tracks in Florida.He lived here in the US for a while and i have it from very reliable sources that the man was not a smart business man..He drank,smoked and gambled to the point where he was broke when he left here and he also left behind many debts..This is one reason he never returned to ever tour...Im sure he made some money during his come back while in his 50's but remember that when he was young he made no money compared to todays artists.In fact back then no artist really got rich.The record companys locked them into terrible contracts and the record companies made most of the money. ..I know for a fact that he was broke before his comeback...Sometimes its hard to imagine these artists wh we admire as not smart people but this happens a lot in the music business..Dalaras is one of the few that is very Businesslike..He treats his career as something to take seriously and not just go out and sing and party and forget everything logical...He rubs a lot of people wrong who deal with him because he demands hard work and quality but thats the way he is a perfectionist who believes that when someone buys a ticket they deserve the very best,whether its the sound or the theatre or whatever...I respect him for that......

As far as a "Hellinic Musical musium" for Greece,it seems to me that Greeks are very passive and unapreciative sometimes..If you look at the vast history of Greek music and all the changes it went thru from early history ,it would seem logical to have a musium to educate and take people thru the history and evolution of Greek Music..At the same time to pay repect to the forefathers and pioneers of Greek music...The Government of Greece is asleep as usual...This should have been done and ready or the olympics so that when the whole world visits Greece could visit the musium......

but I got into that topic from agreeing with Sarantis in that we should give thanks and credit to the Greek Artists (real noble and honoable Greek Musicians) who have given so much joy and significant history over the years.

We should honour the persons while they are still alive.

My 'thank you' is my applause after a concert. I think Dalaras likes this a bit more than a museum!

Francois, do you realize you sound just a wee bit arrogant with your "No need of Dalaras to discover those artists, and I can tell you that I knew ..." ? Sounds like you think you know everything and don't need anyone to learn from.

I don't know if you really think that or not.

I do know that I love to pick everybody's brain for new music to listen to.

Anyway. Get your facts straight.

The great musicians you name do not need Dalaras to be great, but Dalaras can, and does, contribute to make them better known .

When you, Francois, say "hey, you who don't know this song, listen to it", some of us may do so, and you will have contributed to someone's fame. You're not going to deny that this happens, I hope, 'cause it does.

Well, when Dalaras says "hey, you who don't know this song, listen!" - the same happens, only on a slightly bigger scale. And he contributes to someone's fame.

As for that museum.

Well. I often wish there were some way of telling Dalaras "thank you", something beyond clapping till my arms are ready to fall off... but I don't think a museum is high on his wish-list :wow:

I got completely lost in the last so long postings ...

Saranti, thanks for your answer;

Stavros Koujoumtzis himself singing? I don't know! Never heard...Would be great to have such an ooportunity.

A museum? Well, ask Giorgos Dalaras himself by the next possible backstage... Not so bad idea concerning the Olympic Games coming!

Ach, Francois... Geske is really right in her opinion now.Don't underestimate, what Kyrios Giorgos did for the oldr music... Just because of 50 xronia Rembetiko many of us know this music in general!

You lucky, lucky man, if you had the possibility of living with the Greek culture on a so advanced level for long years!!!!!

And I don't even know, who, apart from Dalaras - Farantouri - Bifikotzis - was singing the oldest songs of my younger years. But I love and admire this music like my own history, crying like a chiild by every rediscovered song!

Geske,although a Hellinic music musium may not be on Dalaras' wish list "it is on mine" and thats what my post is about....What would be a better way to honour him and other Legendary musicians and composers of the past and to educate visitors and Greek people themselves about the history of Greek music....I feel that it is way past overdue...We let these people die off and we do not honour there lifes work which is very important in my view...Greece needs to honour its national treasures not ignore them.......Thats my view!!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0