Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
francois

2004 Olympics

31 posts in this topic

I know, from my own experience, that Olympic games do not necessarily do good to the place that is hosting them, nor do they necessarily promote it.

The Winter Games in Albertville (my parents - my mother now, and one of my brothers with his wife and children live not far from that town) did not bring anything else but debts and unemployment to the villages and towns around Albertville.

As for the promotion of that lovely side of France, they didn't wait for Olympic games or such things to become famous and be praised by people of all social conditions and from all countries.

I am very saddened about the modern Olympic games: instead of promoting the sporting spirit, they unfortunately first promote questionable financial interests, and many athletes have to suffer from this (One of my cousins who participated in the Seoul Games could tell you about this).

I do hope all this will not be the case for Greece, but I doubt it very much.

It is extremely nice, though, that the cultural aspect that existed in ancient times has been added again. So, let us hope for something nice.

(no surprise, Greece has so much culture to show the world; isn't it the cradle of the Western civilization?).

The cradle of "certain idea" of the Western civilization, not of the Western civilization as it has become today. :(

:D

Melissa

That goes double agreement for me too.

I'm hoping to be at both opening and closing ceremonies and get it videotaped somehow one way or another.

And to think should it happen,

I'll finally get to reveal to my old american friends on just who Dalaras is & the great magic he creates as they inadvertently back then couldnt handle the language barrier.

OPA power to the greeks!!

:D

I hope GD will sing at both opening and closing ceremonies! What sport does he like? Maybe we will spot him in the audience.

Melissa, some years ago I read an interview of Dalaras (don't remember when and to who to be honest) and he was asked about the time he intends to stop singing. I don't recall his exact answer but after it, the journalist asked him whether the Olympics would be a good chance to do so, and he said he doesn't know but he would of course go and sing if they asked him to do so.

Now I don't know if he will stop after this, but I have a fear that they might give these nigths to artists like Vangelis Papatnanasiou, and that will hurt, not only me, but most Greeks and Greece itself.

Melissa, Dalaras gave a concert with Bregovic in Athens, in front of Zapio to promote the idea of the Olympics in Athens, a few days before the selection, and this concert was organised by the comitee of Athens 2004. As far as I know, that was his involvement. And after the selection, a feast concert again in the same place, with Haris Alexiou (no they did not sing together).

And to answer your question previously made, that I forgot: Dalaras has said in the past that he likes football and he also loves classic sports.

Melissa, I don't think it was like this. It was quite a few years ago and it was not put this way.

I remember reading in a site about Maritza Koch that she was involved in the musical preparations for the Olympics. That would be much better news than Vangelis Papatananasiou, wouldn't it?

I'll see if I can find the site again.

No, not better!

But Geeske, while you're still searching, I found what I was looking for!

I read some time ago in Ta Nea and I liked very much!

have a look:

ta-nea.dolnet.gr

Geeske, for me, Mariza Koch would be uncomparable to Papathanasiou, I agree with you. However, the idea that appears in the article Anna has found, attracts me even more...

Well. Try as I may, I don't like it.

Probably because I don't like the Olympics, and don't want to see beautiful, vulnerable Areti mangled in that big horrible machine. Dalaras would be all right, he can resist ANYthing - but the child? No. No, I can't like it.

Still looking for the other link, btw.

Geske, perhaps it wouldn't be too bad with Areti this time: she gets a bit older, a bit more resistant... And she will have Giorgos Dalaras close to her; as you know, his patron, Agios Giorgos, is known in the Christian mythology as a person able to kill all the dragons. :)

Agios Giorgos, is known in the Christian mythology as a person  able to kill all the dragons. :)

With his voice, GD can kill almost all the dragons that are in my heart !!!

But maybe I should have posted this in the topic "Dalaras, a saint" ? :D:pity:

"Asteri mou, fengari mou", Francois, with this about these dragons in the heart, you deserved the title today.

Melissa, if you can't believe, see the topic "This week's favourite song".

Call this "Dalaras magic" then, or, whatever you will.

And, if the discussion gets on so, we should move it for sure into your topic, not to make again disorder in this sooo huge corner of the world like this forum :) .

Seriously: I think Areti can take part in the Olympic without any fears, really. She seems to be already strong enough. I saw her only once, in Berlin now, but I was talking to her and had the best impression of an young lady knowing, what she can endure.

Glika mou matia? Who is that, Melissa?

Btw. a saint must not be omnipresent, this is only God, says the Christian theology.

Dimitrios and dragons? Rena, Christo-Regni? I don't know so exactly.

Christian theology

Christian mythology, you mean... :D , theology certainly being more serious than mythology, and not specifically "Christian"... :D

No, no, I meant "theology". Or, if you will understand all the stories bound with saints as "mythology", OK. But I was talking more about God than saints now, that's why.

Is it still OK for this topic?

Olga, you don't know Glika mou matia?

Olga, I'll give you the answer:

"Glika mou matia" is GD, of course... Melissa meant "Glika mou Datia" :D:D:(

Καλο αγορι μου, ευχαριστω!!!!

Melissa, sooorry, it means my English needs improvement!

And, what about Dimitrios, dragons and the Olympic games?

Melissa, sorrry for the second time, once more the same, my English need definitely a huge improvement to understand some of your infos....

:):rolleyes::mad:

Francois, please, do help me. Merci beaucoup. :mad:

Πολιτιστικη Ολυμπιαδα στη Ν.Υορκη

Η εκδηλωση θα γινει στη Μetropole Opera[το ποτε δεν το γνωριζω] με τη συμμετοχη του American

ballet theatre και Ελληνων δημιουργων υπο την καλλιτεχνικη διευθυνση του Κωστα Γαβρα.Θα συμμετασχουν επισης η Αγνη Μπαλτσα ,η Λυδια Κονιορδου και ο ΓΙΩΡΓΟΣ ΝΤΑΛΑΡΑΣ.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0