Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

’σπρο περιστέρι

8 posts in this topic

It wasn't my idea to have this one to translate for a Saturday tea-time treat. But it _can't_ be a coincidence that it's Gatsos again.

There is more to this poem than meets the eye and the translation does _not_ do it justice, not by a loooong way.

ΑΣΠΡΟ ΠΕΡΙΣΤΕΡΙ | WHITE DOVE

Μουσική: Μάνος Χατζιδάκις | Music: Manos Chatzidakis

Στίχοι: Νίκος Γκάτσος | Lyrics: Nikos Gatsos

Όποιος πόνεσε μέσα στη ζωή | The one who was in pain in the midst of life

όποιος έκλαψε σαν μικρό παιδί | the one who was crying like a little child

τώρα τίποτα πια δε σου ζητά | is now not asking anything more from you

μόνο στ' όνειρο θα σ' αναζητά | only in dreaming will he look for you [now].

’σπρο περιστέρι μεσ' τη συννεφιά | White dove, [out there] in the blue

μου 'δωσες το χέρι

να 'χω συντροφιά | you gave me your hand,

that I might have a companion.

άσπρο περιστέρι μαύρο μου φτερό | White dove, my wing [is] black*,

κάθε καλοκαίρι θα σε καρτερώ | every summer, I will be waiting for you.

Όταν σήκωσα το βαρύ σταυρό | When I took up the heavy cross

μου παράγγειλες να 'ρθω να σε βρω | you laid it upon me to come back to find you,

κι όταν δάκρυσα σαν την Παναγιά | and when I wept like Mary **

ήταν άνοιξη και Πρωτομαγιά | it was springtime and the First of May.

’σπρο περιστέρι μεσ' τη συννεφιά | White dove, [out there] in the blue

μου 'δωσες το χέρι να 'χω συντροφιά | you gave me your hand, that I might have a companion

άσπρο περιστέρι μαύρο μου φτερό | White dove, my wing [is] black*,

κάθε καλοκαίρι θα σε καρτερώ | every summer, I will be waiting for you.

* this could also translate as:

"My white dove, my black wing" (you never know with Gatsos).

** The Weeping Virgin at the foot of the Cross.

Geeske thanks so much (speaking as the person whose idea it was : :) ) This song is really special - apart from being incredibly beautiful - because it was the first one I heard Dalaras sing.

It is quite an old song which was first sung by Galani. Here again, I have never heard it by GD and would very much like to...

The only recording by Dalaras, that I'm aware of, is on 'Dalaras & the Israel Philarmonic", aka 'the Mann auditorium recording'.

Apart from inofficial versions, of course, videos, etc.

Yes, Geeske: He used to sing it in as the first song (and many times as an encore) in all the concerts he has done with an philarmonic orchestra (Israel, Megaro Mousikis, Odeio Patras, Theatro Gis, Delphoi, Irodeio with BBC or Ossipov).

He also sang this song in Zygos or Iera Odos III.

Francois, I think that the last 4 years (since 1998-99) the song become very popular in Greece due to Dalaras and many singers remembered the song again and put it in their live programms -even Galani who has completely forgotten it !!

Francois, I think that the last 4 years (since 1998-99) the song become very popular in Greece due to Dalaras and many singers remembered the song again and put it in their live programms -even Galani who has completely forgotten it !!

I can remember it very well, as it was the first Hadjidakis record I bought in 1974 (apart from various songs by Mouskouri as soon as 1968), and the first time I heard Galani. But the song was quite popular then, as it could be heard every day from the Greek radio.

Yes, of course , it was popoular in 1974 but in the meanwhile until the late 90's it was forgotten gradually and so dalaras' version gave a new blow to the song .. (This is my opinion of course ... :D as I don't have a good memory of the -eg.- 80's .. so I don't know if this song was popular then or not !! ) ......

We always need new singers to give new blows to old songs, and I am glad Dalaras could give a new life to this beautiful song.

After all, it is a singer's role to sing old songs as well as new ones.

A good actor will play Shakespeare as well as Stoppard... (poor comparison, but it will have to do... :D )...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0