Followers 0
Christo

Old or New?

31 posts in this topic

:)

well hello again

This new thread

(at least I'm hoping its new

otherwise I'm just a copy cat and didn't take time out to research the forum)

is too ask everyone to answer a survey for us

or call it a poll or questionnaire or what have you not.

But to all die hard Dalariko Fans,

What do you prefer him singing best?

Ta Klassika Tragoudia

from the days of:

1. Loizos

2. Kaldaras

3. Kouyoumtzis

4. Nikolopoulos

5. Papadopoulos

6. Panoy

7. Spanos

or do we prefer his new style where hes gatherd so many new groupies all over the world

with stuff like from:

1. Katsimihas

2. Mikroutsikos

3. Ganas

4. Fammelos

5. Brecovic

6. Papakonstantino

7. Stokas

and so on

I guess its interesting that many older Dalaras fans

only like the older hits they grew up with and

of course the newer younger generation have only just begun hearing him sing the new recordings from the last 5-10 yrs and so forth

and havent had a good chance to really hear him sing

his classics on Cd but maybe only Live in a concert setting.

Then and only then can they be true adoring fans to know his works and support them all!!

For long period of time when I first started to listen to Dalaras,

It took a while for me to get use to the different styles of music Dalaras sing in becuase some of the recordings he sings soft with vibrato like the Latin & Theodorakis and others like the Rembetika, he sings them rougher and really bellows out his voice!!!!

and in his older records, I never bothered to hear them as much

because his voice sounded different then and listen to how it matured by the 80's. Only now on all of his CD's can I truly appreciate them because I thought maybe the record or tape was scratched as it may have been played so too many times which thus evidently may help me to explain why he sounded so different then.

it really wasn't He was just Young.

I say his voice really got strong with Nikolas favorite CD

"Σεργιάνι στον κόσμο"

Now What do you all think?

:D

Christo, I wouldn't like Dalaras this much if he would sing 'only' the classic songs as you call them.

And I wouldn't like Dalaras this much if he 'only' would sing the 'new' stuff.

It's the mix of all and the very good doing of all which makes Dalaras so unique for me!!

Undoubtedly,it was those "Classics",made me like Dalaras so much.

Then came "the new stuff".

But I was already in love with his voice and songs :D

I am really happy to hear new and different songs from him but those "Classics"...

I wouldn't change them for anything :)

S Gursu

Christo.............the most old songs and also the most new songs I like!!!

But there are also some old and new I don't like!! But must I???? :)

We all have favourite CDs. Noone can say the old ones are better or the new ones!!! :D;)

I believe that there is something in the phenomenon 'Dalaras' more than the songs, that maes us like his songs. My first question to myself is 'Would you like Dalaras if he came today with his first album, H asfaltos pou trexei' ? The question is tricky and the answer not clear. I like this new album now because I know him and how he is working.

But, on the other side, if a new artist came today with this album and the voice of Dalaras, I would probably appreciate it but it wouldn't catch my interest so much. I wouldn't go very deep in the album and the songs. Because it wouldn't be the person that I knew how he is doing things in music. So, that leads me to the next question. Why do you have such an interest in Dalaras and his way.

The answer is simple and easy, because I learnt this way from his past work. There must have been something that impressed me in this, to make me so keen. And that would be hard to come by time. It came like a light of fire. And this fire was caused by the songs with which I met him, and these are the old ones.

Now, if that says anything at all for the topic, I am not sure actually... :)

;)

Anna, Nikolas

I coudn't agree with you more heartedly

I think that is truly the reason why We including me love the music of Dalaras so much

And I think Nikolas shares a new light and point of view in that

we have followed his career so many years and he always seems to

challenge our tastes and surprisingly brings out such new delights

like "AMOR AMOR". Yes we can always have A-more of this

as Geske points out, "which I'd rather be deaf or blind"?

same here I cant pick or choose when favoring a style or song or category for that matter with Dalaras.

It's what he has done over the years that keeps is clinging for more. Kind of like a Dalaras syndrome addiction.

;)

I believe Sarantiis once told us he would never lead us in the wrong direction. and though I must say I like the new cd alot both Zygos and Asphaltod pout trexi, It would be interesting to see him give us a new mix on the older cd's with his matured voice today.

And more importantly what captured the magic from him to me

is his Live Concert Cd's he gave us back in the late 80's

starting with:

"Live recordings from Peroke, Olympia, & Erini kai Filias Stadio"

"Latin"

: Mi Milas"

"Attikon"

from there it was more then just favorite singer,

I needed to know all of his works and get them in my own private Dalaraki collection.

I have not done this with no other artist.

I have several albums from many various artists but not their complete discography only by Dalaras so far.

And though I like the contemporary dancing hits

for Kefi & Horo (OPA Olga)

I must say I didn't care too much for

the light ballad songs from 'H Ashaltos Poy Trexi'

such as:

"To Palto"

& do I dare say it? Gosh Melissa will hang me for this

Well ok if I must I'll be brave just once

"Matia Kastana".

Oops cat out of the bag be nice now

;)

Their ok but for some odd reason they don't grab or move me as great ballads like

"Kapou Niktoni", "Mi Moy Thimonis Matia Moy", "Itan Pende Itan Exi",

and "O Ouranos Fevy Varis" all by Kouyoumtzis. Hey Olga sounds like your favorites too.

Ohh and not to neglect

"Ahh Helidono mou" by Loizos

sounds like I favor the classics

well only for ballads since we Kareoki to them live in concert.

But I like the new upbeat hits too the new one from Sting and Ta Fantasmata, Palio Stratios and so on.

okay community

by all means pleaze keep adding

Hristara, Sarantis, Soc, and the rest I have yet to hear from you?

I have to agree with all of you so far and if I had to put a percentage on it would probably say that I listen to 60 - 65% older songs than new, but I also love Amor Amor so there you have it - no real decision.

But then one of the reasons we all love him is that he does different things and styles so we don't just want the one.

I have at workd with me today 4 CD's and you can judge for yourself

Apo Kardias

Latin

Apona Matia

Potrait

Hows that for variety :);):D;)

As Nikolas says, it isn't the songs.

Someone reminded me last night of the first music I heard Dalaras sing: the Misa Criolla.

If I heard that now for the first time, not knowing him, it would grab me just the same.

If I heard today for the first time, not knowing him, the song Η άσφαλτος που τρέχει, I would be hooked instantly, I can promise you.

But if it was Που 'ναι τα χρόνια it would be no different.

Have you noticed, btw, that in every kind of music he touches, Dalaras unfailingly picks out _good_ songs to sing.

You know people

all this talk about how we were to feel of Dalaras if he had started singing now

for the 1st time with the cd 'H Asphaltos pou Trehi'

Would he have been popular immediately

and become an icon legend in his time had this been the case?

I don't recall it making the platinum or gold status on the charts but nevertheless even if it hadn't,

he would not have stopped there so I"m sure he will have released future cd's probably near that same format of song writing and recordings.

But as destiny as pointed he will give us other types of songs to listen and acquire our tastes too.

:lol:

Christo, probably nearly nothing happens by chance. We speak about the possibility that Dalaras appearaed today with Asflatos be his first album and whether he would be the same. But we know that Dalaras is around for 30 years, appearing in a period which offered him the chance to sing these great songs.

Probably, if dalaras appeared today, he would not be in 2034 what he is today, after 30 years in the greek music scene. Because this pure and unique way of him found Kougioumtzis, Loizos, Kaldaras, Puthagoras, Papadopoulos and Eleftheriou, that time. This fact is critical, as Dalaras was for their songs.

And all these didn't happen by chance...

Thanks for the topic. Christo, please kane ligaki ipomoni akoma, I know I owe you my further opinions. Should I then put then into "Zygos" topic?

As an older fan I would give everything for not only Giorgos Dalaras older songs, but for the songs of the classic periode of Nea Kima, especially for S. Koujoumtzis (the only exception seems to be O ouranos fevgi varis the text, since I know it, is too sad for me). Thanks, Christo, for mentioning this repertoire. Δωσε μου το χερι σου, αδερφε μου...»

As we know, lets repeat it, its Koujoumtzis, που εκανε Νταλαρα» and most of his songs are written exactly for his voice. For Kokkino foustani, its the best appearance of E. Arvanitaki I have ever heard. Well, its a bit pity Kyrios Giorgos didnt (want to) sing .

Life goes on, but I still think, it was and is Stavros Koujoumtzis repertoire which suits in the best way to the voice of Giorgos Dalaras. I dont even mind this Mi moy thimoneis, like my shield for so many years, but Kapion allon filises sto stoma. Not even in the Zygos version, a bit too technical for me, but in the first one from the album Otan anthizoun pasxalies. These repeated and then falling notes on the phrase εκλαιγες εσυ σε ξενο στρομα, εκλαιγα εγω.....». All, absolutely all the needed aliquots even in the old version, 1971, when he was only 21 years old. Blessed Stavros Koujumtzis with his invention and discoveries, a blessed one (I can use here only these slightly religious categories, I cant help it).

There are these two-three songs I can not imagine sung by anybody else, at all: Mi moy thimoneis Kapion allon Poy einai ta xronia. Even if the last one IS already a Grigoris Bifikotzis song.

(Tell me, by the way, was Giorgos Dalaras the first or the only one to sing Vasanaki, vasanaki?)

A change would be like a changing of the holy icon, as I mentioned once before.

I love all these terribly scratched, old tapes repertoire I have at home since 1978 or something like that. And therefore I like the older repertoire, of G. Dalaras too, more. Now having, after more as 20 years, still a kind of hope of Odysseus. Just to identify the rest of the names who made me love Greek music and Greece. And, afterwards, made me to recognize after years the songs of Giorgos Dalaras with tears of surprise and thanksgiving.

Remember, this is not a situation of the people of Greece, who have a great choice there, this needed sooo much time to discover it, to find the whole again...

Tell me then, who was singing Τι θελεις απ τα νιατα μου, που ειναι πυκραμενα». Please. Even if its just an another topic.

Again: from the new songs there are songs, which I appreciate immediately (the whole Methismena; Iptameno xali, Simeromata, San palio sinema, Vammena kokkina mallia, Thaerthis ), some I have to hear more times to like them (Na onirevomai). A single song catastrophe Ta vengalika soy matia; made me sleepless, deconcentrated and restless for the whole two days and nights. And it was only two years ago.

But there are some songs too, which are good songs, but not good enough for his voice.

I can now hardly imagine Coimbra or Numero nueve or even Malaguena sung better y anybody else, but songs like Amor, amor or Paris are, good songs themselves, not good enough for him.

I have to admit even, I absolutely cant bear this Paris immediately after Ximeromata in Asphaltos; they are too different one from another.

But, since I know the name of Giorgos Dalaras, its the only artist I would like to have the whole discography without exceptions.

Micki, you wrote you dont have any song you dont like. Really?

The only complete music collections I have up till now, are of Johann Sebastian Bach and Frederic Chopin works.

Who was it, saying only his voice and I am OK? Therefore I would like to hear Giorgos Dalaras in St. Matthew Passion of JSBach. With Xaris Alexiou singing alto parties. Would be too much, you say? And some difficulties to classify that as old or new, as the composition is written 1729?

Well, as Giorgos Dalaras is such a good musician and has such an unique voice, why not?

Tell me then, who was singing Τι θελεις απ τα νιατα μου, που ειναι πυκραμενα». Please. Even if its just an another topic.

Stelios Kazantzidis, Olga !

Once more, one of the most beautiful Greek songs.

But back to the topic: I prefer the "old" Greek songs of GD, but I also like more recent ones, of course... No time to develop my point now. Some other day... :):):rolleyes:

Therefore I would like to hear Giorgos Dalaras in St. Matthew Passion of JSBach. With Xaris Alexiou singing alto parties. Would be too much, you say? And some difficulties to classify that as old or new, as the composition is written 1729?

Well, as Giorgos Dalaras is such a good musician and has such an unique voice, why not?

Olga, once again you mention your wish to hear the 'Matthew Passion' by Dalaras.

I don't know this piece of music, so maybe a stupid question. In which language will it be sung?

And if the answer would be German....no, please not, as I don't think Dalaras voice goes good with this language!

And the same with English!!

Yes, Anna, I think about the original German version and especially two parts of it: recitativo "Am Abend, da es kuehle war" and the Aria afterwards, "Mache dich, mein Herze, rein". Wie fuer Giorgos Dalaras' Stimme geschaffen!

And, for Xaris Alexiou, the aria before: "Sehe, Jesus hat die Hand....".

(The whole Passion is exactly 3 hours of music), so I dont hope the whole with "our" singers, but these pieces are definitely good for heir quality of voices, really. Language? Well, Anna YOU say that?

(calm down, Anna, I can't imagine "Messiah" of Haendel in an another language as English!!!)

Yes, Anna, I think about the original German version and especially two parts of it: recitativo "Am Abend, da es kuehle war" and the Aria afterwards, "Mache dich, mein Herze, rein". Wie fuer Giorgos Dalaras' Stimme geschaffen!

And, for Xaris Alexiou, the aria before: "Sehe, Jesus hat die Hand....".

(The whole Passion is exactly 3 hours of music), so I dont hope the whole with "our" singers, but these pieces are definitely good for heir quality of voices, really. Language? Well, Anna YOU say that?

(calm down, Anna, I can't imagine "Messiah" of Haendel in an another language as English!!!)

God forbid !!!!!!!!!

Don't make him sing in German please ! (Thanks Anna :) )

The perfect language for Bach's perfect music - or vice versa ? but surely not for Dalaras :)

Olga, as far as I know, these to 'aria' you mentionned are usually sung by a bass - at least I have never heard them sung by a tenor. Have you ?

As for Alexiou singing Bach..........do you want me to have nightmares, girl ? :rolleyes:

Back to topic, I like older and new songs, it all depends on the music, the instruments used and particularly on the orchestration.

At home I never listen to the cd 'I asfaltos ...' but when in concert, he can sing anything he wants and I'll listen in trance whatever the orchestration :)

Dear Annemarie,

well, Ive never researched the possibilities of Giorgos Dalaras note by note, althought I remmeber somebody on the forum (Christo?) has done it already. Only I dont remember, where exactly.

I am sure Giorgos Dalaras would sing these parts succesfully, at least the recitativo, O schoene Zeit, o Abendstunde. OK., no nightmares, I was thinking just exactly the opposite, a very good kali nichta music sung by a perfect voice.

Not Dalaras, please? And why, if he was already singing succesfully the Latin songs (Ive not heard Missa criolla with him yet), and, on the other side, John Barleycorn? Why not Bach then? Well, not all the vocal works at once.

The notes? The deepest would be A (am Abend kaum die Taube wieder)

the highest e1 (vollbracht, Angedenken).

Because Giorgos voice can reach more than 2 octaves, I think, it would be (technically) possible. And belongs to the new stuff I would like to hear Giorgos Dalaras in, one beautiful day. Just him, because he has this unique good voice.

Annemarie, I dont want you to have nightmares, but let me have my dreams.

Dear Annemarie,

well, I?ve never researched the possibilities of Giorgos Dalaras note by note, althought I remmeber somebody on the forum (Christo?) has done it already. Only I don?t remember, where exactly.

I am sure Giorgos Dalaras would sing these parts succesfully, at least the recitativo, ? O schoene Zeit, o Abendstunde?. OK., no ?nightmares?, I was thinking just exactly the opposite, a very good ?kali nichta? music sung by a perfect voice.

Not Dalaras, please? And why, if he was already singing ? succesfully ? the Latin songs (I?ve not heard ?Missa criolla? with him yet), and, on the other side, ?John Barleycorn?? Why not Bach then? Well, not all the vocal works at once.

The notes? The deepest would be A (am Abend kaum die Taube wieder)

the highest e1 (vollbracht, Angedenken).

Because Giorgos? voice can reach more than 2 octaves, I think, it would be (technically) possible. And belongs to the ?new? stuff I would like to hear Giorgos Dalaras in, one beautiful day. Just him, because he has this unique good voice.

Annemarie, I don?t want you to have nightmares, but let me have my dreams.

Well, the A is at his (to my knowledge) deeper limit, and if the solo is a bass solo he probably wouldn't do it too good.

Thanks, Andreas!!! But, as I told once, by the next concert I can come backstage, I'l ask HIM!

What, Annemarie? Dreams away? (it had, as I know, even the well known French version: points des reveries or sth like that? correct me, please.) Not possible today, I got "Sta psila ta parathiria", Stavros Koujoumtzis, with the first recording of "MI mou thimoneis" and I am lost in very different dreams.

See "This week's topics".

Olga dear

don't forget 'Enas Kompas Oi Hara Mou"

another favrorite Klassiko Tragoudi apo Kouyoumtzis especially Afieromena edo gia thn Niki mas.

OK, Christo, I meant "only" the contents of this o0ne album now, the song you mean is on the "Otan anthizoun pasxalies", some 3-4 years earlier..... Never mind, etsi kai allios Koujoumtzis. To whom I could ever dance almost every note, as I see now. Only not "O ouranos fevgi" and "Mi mou thimoneis", this one is for another worlds of experiences.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0