Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Αν θυμηθείς τ' όνειρό μου

12 posts in this topic

There is an english version of this song around, which I always heartily disliked and of which I can't remember the lyrics at all. If you'd have told me it was Theodorakis, I'd have said 'well, not his best'... and if you'd have told me the orignal lyrics are by Gatsos, I'd have thought you were pulling my leg!

It is a fact that if you don't listen, you usually don't hear. And the usual orchestration of this song is of the sticky music-hall kind that doesn't work for me, at all.

But: there comes Dalaras to make me pay attention. When he says: listen! I do. And I never regret it.

Here's the song, translation, mistakes and all.

ΑΝ ΘΥΜΗΘΕΙΣ Τ' ΟΝΕΙΡΟ ΜΟΥ | | If you remember my dream

Μουσική: Μίκης Θεοδωράκης | | Music: Mikis Theodorakis

Στίχοι: Νίκος Γκάτσος | | Lyrics: Nikos Gatsos

Στην αγκαλιά μου κι απόψε σαν άστρο κοιμήσου | | In my embrace, tonight too, like a star, fall asleep.

δεν απομένει στον κόσμο ελπίδα καμιά | | There is not left, in the world, any hope at all.

τώρα που η νύχτα κεντά με φιλιά το κορμί σου | | Now that the night embroiders your body with kisses,

μέτρα τον πόνο κι άσε με μόνο στην ερημιά | | measure the pain, and leave me alone in the desolation.

Αν θυμηθείς τ' όνειρό μου | | If you remember my dream,

σε περιμένω να 'ρθεις | | I am waiting for you to come back.

μ' ένα τραγούδι του δρόμου να ρθεις όνειρό μου | | With a song of the road, come back, my dream,

το καλοκαίρι που λάμπει τ' αστέρι με φως να ντυθείς | | in the summertime that lights up the star with fire to clothe you.

Geeske

Many thanks. This was one of the few songs I had a go at translating, thinking (very unwisely of course) 'this looks easy'. I completely gave up on the last two lines.

I don't know about 'sticky music hall' but I love the live version by Ελένη Δήμου on 'Ζωντανές Ηχογραφήσεις' with Dalaras as second voice.

That's Gatsos for you.

It looks easy, and then you look again and... well, remember what happened with Μ' ένα παράπονο? I do love that kind of joke.

I remember trying Πάρης from Η άσφαλτος... way back when couldn't yet read all the letters :music: - it sounded so cheerful!!! Well, I've gone back to it a couple of times since, but I still don't get it!!! I'll have to corner Antonis or Nikolas or someone one night and squeeze them :music:

Btw, all requests for translation of any particular song will be considered seriously and with the sympathy they deserve. By PM, please.

Of course it was the Δίμου - Νταλάρας version that made me sit up and listen, the reasonning being: if Dalaras is having anything to do with it, it's worth paying attention to. So far it never failed me.

I'm sort of curious about that English version though. Or, come to think of it, it might as well have been French. Anyway, my ears tell me it must exist, but my brain refuses to bring out any information about it!

The thing is, when I first heard the song (radio, someone else's version) I recognized it instantly as a thing I had often heard before, it felt like the other lyrics where right on the tip of my tongue... but they never turned up. And now that I've found out it's Theodorakis', I'm more puzzled than ever. On the one hand, it's not so unlikely that mr. nr.1 greek hit composer got an English version of this, but... on the other hand, he already has tricked me once, with a song I'd never heard before, into feeling I'd known the tune forever (that was Κοκκινο τριαντάφυλλο).

So, if anyone knows anything: please spit it out!!!

Well ,Geeske , you surprise me! I had the impression that you know well enough the work of the Beatles! Yes ,it was them that made an english version of this song back in the '60s. Title of their version : "Honeymoon song" and they performed it in a BBC show. If you like Beatles' first period then you should like this one too.

Note: Το φως of the last line could be translated better as "light"

A beautiful song .. Dalaras has sang this song alone in the Concert for the 70 years of Mikis Theodorakis in Herodeum in 1995 .... :wow: really greatly .... However, it was not inclunded finally in the double CD (as the song "Z" too..) of that concert .. :pity::pity::pity::pity: , it had an interesting orchestration.. :wow:

Gazakas - I'm really impressed!

Geeske - would 'Sleep in my arms like a star tonight' be better for the first line? And can 'kai' possibly mean 'again'? This word drives me mad. It used to be 'na' but I've more or less got the hang of that one. It seems to be used a lot just for emphasis, and my dictionary says it also functions like 'na' 'oti', 'pws', 'pou' and 'dioti' which doesn't really help much.

Kate, yes! ναι may be the most difficult word in the Greek language, for a Dutch person that is, but να and και are most maddening for poor Barbarians. I this case I intended 'tonight too' to mean 'tonight like (one or more) other nights', so 'again' sounds ok to me.

Your first line is definitely worth mine - I let myself be tempted into keeping the Greek word order, which of course does not really work in any other language.

Christo, if it didn't get into the CD, was it in the video of the concert? I saw it once but this song made no mark on my memory.

Herbert, if you want to hear the Δίμου-Νταλάρας version, this is the album: http://www.dalaras.com/diskoi/albums/zwnta...xografhseis.htm

If you want to hear the Beatles sing Theodorakis...

the Beatles

sing

Theodorakis...

:wow:

Look guys, I thought I was pretty broad-minded (or is it broad-eared?) musically, but the Beatles repertoire is not where I go looking for a Theodorakis song which I remember as messed-up with a syruppy arrangement...

OK, :wow:

I have it right here in the house, The Honeymoonsong, on a tape somebody once made me off the BBC-Beatles record. I've heard it more times than I want to count as it was the favourite car-driving tape of my ex. We both liked the Beatles but he liked what Paul McCartney dubbed "silly love-songs", and I prefered the funny songs, the energetic songs, the surrealistic songs - anything but the saccharine.

Yes, I love the early Beatle songs - no, I don't like The Honeymoon Song. Oh, I approve whole-heartedly of their having fun with Theodorakis: these tunes of his are just begging to be sung, if I were a singer I couldn't resist them either... But I don't like the result, more's the pity.

Anyway.

Here are the lyrics, just in case:

I never knew that a day

like today lay before us.

I've got the sun in my heart

and my heart's in the sun.

Skies are as bright

as your eyes,

the horizon is open.

Love is the ceiling,

feelings are reelings

free as the air.

Forever on and forever,

forever on side by side.

who ever knew that we two

could be free as we'd fancy,

fancy is free

but are we bound

to each other by love,

to each other by love?

Who ever knew that we two

could be free as we'd fancy,

fancy is free

but are we bound

to each other by love,

to each other by love,

to each other by love,

to each other by love?

And it's on the CD: The Beatles - Live at the BBC

recorded for the BBC broadcast: 8/6/63 on Pop Goes The Beatles.

Christo, if it didn't get into the CD, was it in the video of the concert? I saw it once but this song made no mark on my memory.

If we have seen the same video.. :pity:

I speak about the video of ERT that has ONLY the part of George Dalaras and not the songs (music from films - soundtracks) included in the 1st CD.

It is possible that there is another video (official) that has only the songs that included in the CD, so you may have watched this one.. :wow:

This broadcast of ERT must have been filmed another day different of recording of the CD, because I think that the performances (=ερμηνείες) are a bit different from those of the CD. In addition two more songs are included: "An Thymitheis T' Oneiro Mou" and "Z" (a small video with this song there is in www.dalaras.gr , video files). Mikis Theodorakis and Agni Baltsa (among other famous people) where in the audience and Baltsa seems to be touched (some tears :pity: in her eyes can been seen) at the end of the song "Vrehei Sti Ftohogeitonia" ...... GREAT MOMENTS :pity::pity::wow:

and Baltsa seems to be touched (some tears :( in her eyes can been seen) at the end of the song "Vrehei Sti Ftohogeitonia" ...... GREAT MOMENTS :D:(:)

Dalaras at Irodion! Always great moments and good for tears!!

We're totally out of topic but I have to add something about the video of this concert! Seems I have the 'European' version!

I just had a look at it. The concert is called: George Dalaras meets Mikis Theodorakis and was shown at German TV. Made by NPS (whoever this is) 1996.

Of course nothing from the 1st CD ( film music). And from the 2nd CD they show this:

-Η ΓΕΙΤΟΝΙΑ ΤΩΝ ΑΓΓΕΛΩΝ

-Ο ΜΠΕΛΟΓΙΑΝΝΗΣ

-ΑΣΤΕΡΙ ΜΟΥ

-SERPICO with -ΔΡΟΜΟΙ ΠΑΛΙΟΙ

-ETAT DE SIEGE

and then ( this is why I say the 'European' vision!)

-ZORBA THE GREEK

and finally Theodorakis and Dalaras and all the audience together

-ΚΑΥΜΟΣ

and then ( this is why I say the 'European' vision!)

-ZORBA THE GREEK

I had forgotten it!! :D

Zorbas is also included in the greek version of ERT.. Dalaras is playing the guitar in Zorba. :)

I will add another version of this song.. as Dalaras and Hro performed it in 1995 for a Christmas TV-show with Ieroklis Mihailidis and Eleni Kountoura as presenters..

Except for "An Thymitheis T' Oneiro Mou" .. George Dalaras & Hro (at the piano) sang "Asteri Mou, Feggari Mou" along with George Kimoulis.. :):D

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0