Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fadi

Omorphi Poli

12 posts in this topic

in which disc,except "TRIBUTE FOR THEODORAKIS" appears this song?!

by Dalaras or another singer that sings with him?!

thank u very much...

Omorfi Poli was a movie song, I think, originally. It has some French lyrics and a stunning version by Edith Piaf.

In the official discografy, Dalaras sings it in the Theodorakis tribute and in one of the "live in Iera Odos" records, I didn't look up which. The second? I think the second.

He's sung it with various people in concert.

thank u very much for both of u

i have "only?" one disc with Farangoulis....

i"ll look for the second one

thank u again...

Omorfi Poli was a movie song, I think, originally. It has some French lyrics and a stunning version by Edith Piaf.

No, Geeske. The original version was sung by Theodorakis. It was recorded together with 3 other songs: "Hathika", "Dakrismena matia" and another one (I can't remember its title), and was released in the following LP + CD:

http://www.greekbooks.gr/cd/showcd.asp?itemCode=029362

(On this page only the other songs of the CD are mentioned...)

The four songs form a cycle called 'Lipotahtes'.

The different versions of Omorfi Poli, here:

http://www.music.gr/search.asp?s=Όμορφη%20...and&mode=tracks

The lyrics of the cycle of songs "Lipotaktes" are of Giannis Theodorakis, Miki's younger brother, who's is not alive, of course, and these songs are exceptional! I especially like them!!

Francois, the 4th song might be "Nixta Magikia"?

Giannis Theodorakis was a very special human being! As Mikis has mentioned many times, his brother was writing poems all the time and after he wrote them, he threw them in the garden! He didn't want them to become known! Then, Mikis was secretly selecting some of them that had remained in a full-text and sometime later, he composed the music for these poems!

I had never heard this story Eleni. :)

All the more interesting since I, too, love Giannis Theodarakis lyrics set to music by Mikis Theodorakis. Thank you.

For myself, I never liked the lyrics of "les amants de Teruel" - even if Edith Piaf incredible talent made them sound acceptable.

Therefore Giannis Theodarakis lyrics came as a wonderful surprise the first time I heard them !

So, it was an existing song that got re-used in the movie? "les amants de Teruel" , that's the French title, isn't it?

That's it, Geeske! Just like "To gelasto paidi" was used for 'Z' ...

Francois, the 4th song might be "Nixta Magikia"?
I can't remember, Eleni, but I'll buy the CD soon and let you know. I unfortunately lost the LP some years ago... :)

Yes, Francois, I confirmed it! It was "Νύχτα Μαγικιά".

You know, Giannis Theodorakis wrote these poems between 1952 and 1954. When the family of Theodorakis still lived in Hania, Crete. And the album was released 6 years later. In 1960.

Mikis Theodorakis, speaking about his brother, he said that he was an innocent, sensitive young man, very clever and foreseeing for his age(he was younger than MIiki), looking very much like his father! Characteristically, he said his brother was thinking 10 years above his epoch! He had a square logic!

And I think his songs(poems) prove the "sharpness" of his mind and the sensitivity of his character!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0