Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oberonsghost

Ο μαύρος ήλιος....||.....The sun shines black

4 posts in this topic

I've always found this poem and the song to be particularly moving and powerful. Now if only I knew what he was writing about. Can anyone help?

Στίχοι: Νίκος Γκάτσος...||...Nikos Gatsos

Μουσική: Σταύρος Ξαρχάκος...||....Stavros Xarhakos

Μαύρος ο ήλιος σήμερα κι η ξαστεριά μια χίμαιρα.............||...........Today the sun shines black the Starry Sisters a fiery blaze

μα βρήκα βράχο και γιαλό στον κόσμο τον αμαρτωλό......||...........but I found a dark rocky shore in the sinners' world.

Κι έριξα τα κρίματα σε σαράντα κύματα...............................||...........And cast away pity into forty waves

έριξα τα κρίματα σε σαράντα κύματα....................................||...........cast away pity into forty waves

έριξα τα κρίματα........................................................................||...........I cast away pity

’μοιρο αδέρφι σου 'φερα της λευτεριάς τα νούφαρα..........||..........Luckless brother, I brought you freedoms flags

και με την πίκρα στην ματιά μάζεψα τ' άγια σου σκουτιά.....||..........and with grief in my eyes gathered up your sacred rags

Κι έπλυνα τα αίματα σε σαράντα ρέματα.................................||..........And washed away the bloodshed in forty streams

έπλυνα τα αίματα σε σαράντα ρέματα......................................||..........washed away the bloodshed in forty streams

έπλυνα τα αίματα.........................................................................||..........I washed away the bloodshed

Μαύρος ο ήλιος σήμερα κι είναι βουβά τα σήμαντρα..............||..........Today the sun shines black, bells strike dumb

μα εγώ στου πόνου την πλαγιά προσκύνησα την Παναγιά.....||..........wracked with pain I dropped to my knees before the Blessed Virgin

Κι έκλαψα τα θύματα σε σαράντα μνήματα.................................||..........And wept for the victims lying in forty graves

έκλαψα τα θύματα σε σαράντα μνήματα......................................||..........wept for the victims lying in forty graves

έκλαψα τα θύματα............................................................................||..........I wept for the victims

Here's mine, corrected from a version full of mistakes I posted some 5 years ago.

Ο μαύρος ήλιος ..........||............. The black sun

Μουσική: Σταύρος Ξαρχάκος ..........||............. Music: Stavros Ksarchakos

Στίχοι: Νίκος Γκάτσος ..........||............. Lyrics: Nikos Gatsos

Μαύρος ο ήλιος σήμερα κι η ξαστεριά μια χίμαιρα ..........||............. The sun is black today, and fair skies wishful thinking,

μα βρήκα βράχο και γιαλό στον κόσμο τον αμαρτωλό ..........||............. but I found rock and seashore in a world filled with sins.

Κι έριξα τα κρίματα σε σαράντα κύματα ..........||............. And I threw the sins into forty waves

έριξα τα κρίματα σε σαράντα κύματα ..........||............. I threw the sins into forty waves

έριξα τα κρίματα ..........||............. I threw the sins away

’μοιρο αδέρφι σου 'φερα της λευτεριάς τα νούφαρα ..........||............. Ill-fated brother, I brought you the water-lilies of freedom

και με την πίκρα στην ματιά μάζεψα τ' άγια σου σκουτιά ..........||............. and with bitterness in my eye, I gathered your holy rags

Κι έπλυνα τα αίματα σε σαράντα ρέματα ..........||............. And I washed the blood in forty streams

έπλυνα τα αίματα σε σαράντα ρέματα ..........||............. I washed the blood in forty streams

έπλυνα τα αίματα ..........||............. I washed the blood away

Μαύρος ο ήλιος σήμερα κι είναι βουβά τα σήμαντρα ..........||............. The sun is black today, and the bells are silent

μα εγώ στου πόνου την πλαγιά προσκύνησα την Παναγιά ..........||............. but I, on the hillside of pain, I bowed before the Holy Virgin,

Κι έκλαψα τα θύματα σε σαράντα μνήματα ..........||............. And I wept for the victims in forty tombs

έκλαψα τα θύματα σε σαράντα μνήματα ..........||............. I wept for the victims in forty tombs

έκλαψα τα θύματα ..........||............. I wept for the victims.

να 'σαι καλά ghost of Oberon for reminding us of this song.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0