Antometrios

9/8 vs 9/4 (???)

3 posts in this topic

Hello, it is I, the guy who doesn't speak Greek but sings it throughout most of the day and who cannot read music but would like to write it.. Anyway, normally when I get an idea for a song, I realize within a couple of days that I unconsciously ripped it off. It's a disappointing experience. A few days ago, though, a melody (seemingly original) entered my head, and I've since been forming it into a zeibekiko which strikes me as pretty good. There are two problems I face: 1) writing it down, and 2) performing it (who has a bouzouki? not I). For the time being the first problem is the one I'm going to worry about, however.

As many of us probably know, zeibekika tend to be in 9/8 rhythm. My question: why? Is there something wrong with 9/4?

I have a program called Finale which can take a midi file and convert it back to the original sheet music. For the purpose of study, I downloaded some Greek midis, and to my surprise, some are in 9/4, like Mes Tou Vosporou Ta Stena and Vrehei Sti Ftohogeitonia. Now, perhaps that was a mistake by the author of the midi, but the creation sound just fine to me.

Why are zeibekika written in 9/8 if 9/4 works? If I have made any foolish statements in this topic, please pardon me; I really am clueless concerning the machinery of music.

(For your information, the lyrics will be English, so that should be interesting.)

Don't worry about zeibekiko the way you do!!!! :lol:

Zeibekiko is a free rythm for people who are trying to be free!!!! :mad::(:music:

Dear Antometrios

This does all seem to be quite baffling, doesnt it? I used to think it was easier to understand time signatures by concentrating on the top number, since that tells you how many beats there are in a bar, while the bottom only indicates what type of note (whole, half, quarter, eighth and so on). However my son (who is a keen folk dancer) assured me that 3/2 for example was completely different from 3 /4, so I gave up on that one. The other point of course is that many different rhythms can be expressed by the same time signature. Anyway, as far as Im concerned, I really dont understand it at all, although I wish I did. I'm sure there are many members that can help with this, but in the meantime I did a couple of Google searches that you might find interesting. And good luck with the composing.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...&q=rhythms+9+8+

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...res+and+rhythms

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead