Antometrios

Books on Greek Music Theory?

2 posts in this topic

Greetings, everyone. I have many friends in school in the music department, and I do envy their education because I think it should also be mine. Yet at this point western music does not interest me nearly as much as eastern. I wonder whether there are any books on--Greek, especially--music theory. I can pick up much subconsiously simply from listening, but I would like to educate myself on exactly how everything works. You see, it is my dream to make a stand against the march of techno that sweeps across Europe. So if anyone has any suggestions, perhaps these could be listed below and described briefly. I hope there are some :wow:

Bear in mind, these should be accessible to non-Greek-speaking people! Thank you. :)

Then again, if there are any good books on rebetika and other music-related topics not intended to educate so much as inform, those could be good too.

I think that anyone who wants to read about Greek music and "how it works" should have some knowledge of Greek, as most of the books were written in Greek...

Here is a long and interesting bibliography about rebetiko:

http://www.rebetiko.gr/books/booksgr.asp

Gail Holst's book about rebetiko is very nice and was originally written in English. It is a most excellent introduction to the subject. The Greek version is more interesting though, as many press articles were added to it. The French version includes a CD.

The best book about rebetika is the one written by Petropoulos (in Greek, but also available in English...).

There is an excellent sociological study of rebetika songs by Stathis Damianakos (in Greek).

The Internet is full of information in English about Greek music too. You have to take the time to look for it!

Don't forget there are many interesting things in English on this forum too... :)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead