Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Vassiliki

6 posts in this topic

Vassiliki.

A song I like very much on the CD live at Iera Odos 2.

Does anyone happen to have a translation of the lyrics? 'cause I can make out only about half of it... any help will be most appreciated.

Βασιλική

Βασιλική τον έρωτα πολύ βαρύ τον πήρες

και στο Μαρίφ κατήντησες εκεί να ξεψυχήσεις

Δεν έπρεπε Βασιλική το Στέργιο ν' αγαπήσεις

μον' έπρεπε Βασιλική να τον απαρατήσεις

Βασιλική 'σουν όμορφη ξανθιά σαν το κουκλάκι

πώς έκανες απόφαση και πήρες το φαρμάκι

Γω το φαρμάκι το 'κανα ωραία λεμονάδα

το σήκωνα και το 'πινα με τόση νοστιμάδα

Now that is a liiiiittle bit harder than the cyclamen song, right? There is a bit where Vassiliki gets called a lovely little golden doll, and at the end somebody seems to be cheerfully poisoning himself... but that's as far as I get.

Please help if you like the song too.

All the help in the world for a barbarian:

Vassiliki, you took love very serioulsy

and you ended up to die in Marif

Vassiliki, you shouldn't love Stergios (or Giorgos accorsding to the live version where Dalaras is teased)

you should only have gotten rid of him

Vassiliki, you were pretty. blonde, like a doll

how could you make that decision, to take the poison

(Vassiliki is speaking now)

I made the poison, a nice lemonade

I took it, drank it, and it was so tasty

(Caution: Not to be tried at home)

AH, now that feels much better.

I *thought* they were not singing "Stergios" - but how can a barbarian be sure?

I love the way they sing it, three voices so obviously enjoying themselves and each other.

What's Marif? Some horrid prison of hospital or what?

I looked up this topic to include - with thanks! - Petros Petrakis' information, and re-reading it, fell into a big hole of long-ago-another-world - sat staring into space for half an hour remembering what it was like, then, when this song was beyond my greek, when I hadn't found all that I've found in those three and a half years, when I hadn't yet lost those I've lost... Wasting my time. Then I woke up, and so here is Petros' contribution:

Το τραγούδι "Βασιλική" έχει γραφεί από τον Ν. Ζιώγαλα ο οποίος καταγεται από την Βέροια (όπως κ εγώ). Το "Μαρίφ" είναι μια τούρκικη ονόμασία τοπονυμίου στην Βέροια κ αναφέρεται στο... κοιμητήριο της πόλης.
The song "Vasiliki" was written by N. Ziogalas, who is from Veroia (like me). The "Marif" is a turkish name, a toponym, in Veroia, and it designates the... cemetery of the city.

Geografical note: Veroia is a very old, not very large city, stuck on a steep mountain flank above and among its vineyards, west of Thessaloniki, where the road comes to the ende of the riverplain and climbs into the mountains.

I couldn't resist not adding a comment :razz:

Few years ago I knew a girl named Aggelikh. One day I changed the name used in that song's lyrics and instead of Basilikh (Vasiliki) I said Aggelikh :D:razz:

To my surprise few days later I heard in the radio another version of the song where the singer used the name...Aggelikh!!!! :blink:

Do you know any other versions...and names? B)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0