Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geske

Το πρωτάθλημα αρχίζει

4 posts in this topic

A few weeks back I got an email via Stixoi.info, from a compatriot asking if I happened to have any more translations of songs by Vassilis Papakonstantinou. I didn't, but I didn't mind making some - only it took a while.

Tonight I find them again, open the file, and.......

and while the news is telling me ALL about tomorrow's Big Game, here I am, discovering what this song (which I've "known" for years!) is about! I'd say it's pretty appropriate, even if it's not exactly (or not only) about football...

Ελλάς || Ellas (Greece!)

Στίχοι: Σταμάτης Μεσημέρης || Lyrics: Stamaths Meshmerhs

Μουσική: Σταμάτης Μεσημέρης || Music: Stamaths Meshmerhs

Το πρωτάθλημα αρχίζει, και η εξέδρα πλημμυρίζει || The championship is starting, and the stadium fills up

γίνεται χαμός σε κάθε γκολ || with every goal all hell breaks loose

Μα το ντέρμπι είναι στημένο, κι από πριν ξεπουλημένο || but the competition is rigged, sold from the beginning

κι εσύ πνίγεσαι με δίχρωμα κασκόλ || and you are choking inside your two-coloured scarf

Ελλάς, Ελλάς τι θα γίνει φίλε μου με μάς || Ellas, Ellas! What's going to become of us, my friend?

Ελλάς, Ελλάς μίλα μας και μη μας αγαπάς || Ellas, Ellas! Talk to us and don't love us.

Μπόρα είπες θα περάσει μα ο κόσμος τα 'χει χάσει || The storm will blow over, you say, but the people have lost it

τα σκουπίδια δίνουν πάρτι στα στενά || the garbage is giving a party in the streets

Τα FM και τα κανάλια έχουν σφίξει σαν τανάλια || the radio and TV have closed their claws

κι οι αφίσες φτύνουν μέλι με καρφιά || and the posters are spitting honey with nails in it.

Ελλάς, Ελλάς τι θα γίνει φίλε μου με μάς || Ellas, Ellas! What's going to become of us, my friend?

Ελλάς, Ελλάς μίλα μας και μη μας αγαπάς || Ellas, Ellas! Talk to us and don't love us.

Μέσα σ' όλη αυτή τη δίνη όρθιο πες μου τι θα μείνει || In this wild whirlpool, tell me, what will be left standing?

σου φωνάζω μα εσύ δε μου μιλάς || I'm calling out to you and you are not talking to me

Ψάχνεις για το μεγαλείο που σου μάθαν' στο σχολείο || You are looking for the greatness they told you about in school

κι εγώ ξένος μετανάστης σου Ελλάς || and I am a stranger and an immigrant to you, Ellas!

Δε γουστάρω τα στημένα, έρχομαι ξανά σε σένα || I have no taste for foul play, I'm coming back to you,

δυο μαζί μπορούμε δώσ' μου δυο φιλιά || the two of us together, we can! Give me two kisses...

Όλα μοιάζουνε χαμένα, μα καλή μου έχω εσένα || All seems lost, but, my dear, I've got you

παίρνω φόρα απ' τη δική σου αγκαλιά || I'm taking strength from your embrace

Very good translation!

Just one correction

Πρωτάθλημα = Championship

So it should be:

The champinoship begins and the stadium fills up

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0