Geske

Translations?

13 posts in this topic

Loads of people love Dalaras without understanding a word he sings.

I know, I used to do it all the time and still do it often. But is better to know the meaning!

I have a small hoard of translations culled from CD-booklets and concert programmes. I'm more than willing to share them if anyone wants them. If that won't get Nikolas in trouble over copyrights.

Worth the trouble?

And is anyone else willing to help?

"Worth the trouble?

And is anyone else willing to help?"

Geeske, regarding my person, the answer to both questions is "Yes" (as I am for a long time very interested also in the lyrics of Greek songs).

OK, I'll start typing some of them and we will see.

Some of the translations I have are OK but some are really bad. The meaning of the Greek words is there but it does not become proper English - a common problem when the translator knows the source language very well and the target language not so well.

Having the opposite problem I am reluctant to correct them...

OK, I've tidied up and typed out translations for the songs I listed as top 5 in the other thread. Should I post them here for your comments/corrections, or shall I bundle them off straight to Nikolas (what format, Nikolas? txt? )

I'm on.

Just post the format and the e-mail from the guy that is going to compile the translations, in order to send them to him (her).

Atte.

Adel

I have also translated some of the songs, but it's very hard to make sense of them sometimes.  Also the English is awful on some of the translations that I have read.

I am trying to translate the biography from the Music Box and I'm upto about page 17 but it really is time consuming and difficult as even my husband cannot understand all of it, when I ask him for help!

If I ever finish it I will send it to Niclas to put in this site.

Lynne you're right, some of the translations that circulate are not so good.

BUT a LOT better than none!

Sometimes the problem is with the source language (in casu, Greek), the translator not understanding the source, but at least as often, the trouble is insufficient command of the target language. (Most people don't realize that it's the target language that you need to best in, not the source. Which is why I do not normally translate into English, only from it).

And of course this (poetry, including song lyrics) is the really delicate work.

But any kind of translation is better than none for many of us, so... let's try!

THANKS EVERYBODY for helping.

I've packed off translations for my first 'top 5' to Nikolas this morning.

And Socrates has made one fellow human being (me) EXTREMELY happy - he's made me a translation of Nychterida. Let's prevail on him to put it on the site, OK?

This is only the beginning...

By the way do any of you know this book where the author has invented a world which has a language where the word for "god" is the same as the word for "translator" ?

(Very good book by my favourite author).

I'm working in An yparchi logos, but I think that I beter stop an work in the spanish songs.

I look at the song Granada in the lyrics section, and it was not a translation, my english, I have to admit, is quite poor, but good enough to see, that Granada from Agustin Lara has nothing to do with the poem about the city of Granada that is posted as the english translation, not even a prhase match, not even a single idea, I think that a beautiful poem about the city of Granada was mistaken as the translation of Granada.

If there are no objection from Nicolas, I'll send him an spanish-english translations, I hope not to upset all of you with my commentary.

Thanks for you understanding.

Adel

You are welcome to send anything!

As for the lovely "Granada", it is a friend who sent it and as you say, probably it is not the right one. I will replace it ass soon as you prepare it...

And Geeske, your favourite songs have been added...thanks!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead