Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Anna

Theodorakis 'Lysistrata'

68 posts in this topic

Well, George-Vivi announced already, but it has to get a special topic!

The 14.,16.,17.,18. and 20. of April 2002 at Megaro Mousikis Athens there will be the very first performance of Theodorakis opera 'Lysistrata'!

The part of the poet will be sung, at all evenings, by Dalaras.

Oh merde.

Oh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 days after I leave.

And no way...

(and I actually like opera)

oh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerde.

THEODORAKIS ABOUT LYSISTRATA

From http://www.mikis-theodorakis.net/lysis_mt.html

Interview by Guy Wagner

Translated by Geeske, who notes that they address each other by the familiar French "tu", and speak rather like old friends.

Q.

In "Antigone", you have given to the public an extraordinary document on your vision of the main character, and her tragic destiny. Will it be the same for "Lysistrata"? How did you conceive the main character in your latest opera?

A.

For "Antigone", I have had to make a synthesis, because I wanted to put the entire Theban cycle into one work.

"Lysistrata" was simpler for me. No such thought process was necessary. But we may notice that every director, every author, who gets involved with Aristophanes in Greece, adds something to it, and this is possible because Aristophanes wrote a political satire, so that, every time we put "Lysistrata" on stage, we create our own satire, parallel to that of Aristophanes. This is acknowledged and allowed.

I did not do this, but added the figure of the "Poet", who gives a prologue to every second or third scene, with many satirical elements. I also added other traits and characters. For example, I introduce Manos Hadjidakis and I use one of his most beautiful melodies. He too wrote a "Lysistrata" and I used this particular melody (n.b.: it is "Enan Mytho tha sas po") because I wanted to emphasize the lyrical side of the work, which is rarely given much importance. The comical side is insisted upon, and the lyrical, even tragic, aspect represented by this woman, is left aside.

Q.

She fights a woman's fight

A.

Yes. In fact, Lysistrata is the incarnation of a crucial drama, as a woman, because, first, for centuries, women were considered as inferior to men, and, moreover, in war, the greatest victims are the women, the mothers, because it is their children who are killed.

This tragic side does exist in Lysistrata. Of course, the way in which Lysistrate forces peace, that is extraordinary, a unique find. There is, in this work, much sex, much laughter, but behind the laughter, there is the whole drama of the women, more responsible than the men, and it is quite in accordance with the spirit of Aristophanes that every time his play comes near entering tragedy, he cuts the atmosphere with satire and gets back to comedy. It's brilliantly done, and it's what I do myself in the libretto of my opera.

Q.

How do you see the end of the opera?

A.

Everyone says that the ending of Aristophanes' comedy is a problem. For me, it's the lyric side that takes the upper hand at the end, for the reconciliation. When the women of Athens come on stage to dance and sing peace, I use Hadjidakis' music, and when the action gets underway again and back to comedy, I make a great lyrical choral part.

At the end of the play, the choir plays the major role. A procession is formed. Everyone has changed clothes for the great celebration, they wear solemn costumes, the war-like costumes have disappeared, but there are many lights, and the rhythm continues, always solemn.

First, four women protagonists come on stage - Lysistrata, Cleonica, Myrina and Lambito - one quatuor. Then the men - the Poet, Provoulos, Kinesias, the Messenger - who also sing a quatuor. Then the choirs are added, first the women, then the men. Women soloists and women's choir, men soloists and men's choir, they alternate and fuse to call for reconciliation and unity, and that is exactly what I have been calling out, all my life, to the Greeks: "be one!"

Meanwhile, Aristophanes was already calling on the Greeks to be united, arguing that they share the same religion, the same language, the same breed, the same fighting spirit too, as when the take part together in the Olympic Games and fight the Persians together. Aristophanes also recalls that when the Athenians were at war with the Persians, the Spartans came to their aid

And that is what I have been proclaiming all my life, it's my philosophy. Union of all the Greeks first, union of all the citizens of the world, of the universe, afterwards. I think that is what universal harmony is, social harmony.

Thus, at the end of his play, Aristophanes and my philosophy come together in a most extraordinary way. All the actors are on stage to proclaim that all the Greeks - Athenians, Thebans, Thessalians, Spartans, Samians, Beotians - must unite. They sing in one voice, with one heart, that finally Lysistrata's erotic army has won the war and triumphs. I have, in fact, the same finale as in "Axion Esti" or in the "Phoenicians", and also in the 4th Symphony, where the finale is also a hymn calling for union, unity, the glory of Greece.

So I finish my musical work with a call for unity, but before that, I make a present to my friends, to the world, my personal gift: I give them, as a choir piece, the first song of "Ta Lyrika": "Tin porta anoigo to vradi", one of the most beautiful melodies I ever wrote, and I hope that through "Lysistratata", this melody may know a renewed career among opera listeners, who did not know it.

Thus, this is a personal gift, like the tribute to Hadjidakis, who was a friend and a colleague I greatly admire, because together, we worked quite a musical change in Greece. After that, I also have a melody of my brother's, because I wanted my brother to be in there too, that we might be together, as brothers, and also as artists. He is there, like a shadow of "Lipotaktes". You know my spirit, I do mystical things.

Q.

In "Antigone", you use the "Prologue" to express your ideas about the City. In "Lysistrata", does the "Poet" fulfil the same function?

A.

No, it's not like "Antigone", because the whole play goes at a terrific pace. The action has no pause, there is the constant impulse of rhythms, there are the colours, it is in fact the triumph of dancing and colours.

In such a context, the "Poet" provides the contrast. He sings in a lyrical way, in a very lyrical way, even if the lyrics are sometime very funny, and I picked out four or five very beautiful melodies for him. The poet is the only part who is a people's singer, laοkos, and if he develops his very beautiful melodies, it's because I want such melodies with a symphony orchestra.

Sometimes, inside the structure of the opera, for example with the first appearance of the old, very tired, Athenian men, coming on stage carrying fagots of wood, I have wanted to underline the "people" side, and to this end I introduce the bouzouki. I used it a second time when Provoulos, the representative of the Athenians, a tenor, wants to know from Lysistrata what is happening. He come on to introduce himself, solemnly, full of self-importance, and starts to sing, but when he begins, he gets it wrong and starts to sing, in Spanish, "Vienen los Pajaros" from the "Canto General", with bouzouki accompaniment, until they tell him he's making a mistake, he's in a different play!

Then the "Poet" comes on, but this time in the guise of the "Composer", with a huge wig, and begs pardon from the public. He takes the score, tears off a page, gives it to the orchestra, in fact, all is being prepared for a fresh musical start, but the orchestra starts to play the same music, in a different key, with different words - the right ones, this time!

Q.

You are, in effect, making fun of yourself.

A.

Yes I am. Provoulos then starts to sing, to that tune, the words of Aristophanes, saying that is the women have revolted, it is the fault of the men. He does his self-criticism. The music remains that of "Vienen los Pajaros", but entirely changed because we have the right lyrics this time, and here too, I use the bouzouki. And I'm using the bouzouki a third time, when Hadjidakis' song starts, and afterwards the orchestra takes over.

So, I have bouzouki and guitars, I have the people's orchestra, and all the rest is entrusted to the symphony orchestra.

Q.

Though it is a comedy, and though you make fun of yourself, of your part, still the lyrical side takes the upper hand in the end. Thus, you stay in that "lyrical period" that has held you for fifteen years.

A.

I remain lyrical indeed, especially at the end, since the conclusion of the opera is the most serious, the most important thing there is: peace. You can't make a comedy of peace. And from that fact, everything becomes serious. It's like some kind of mass, of liturgy, it's a call to mankind.

If you want to know what Theodorakis says about this opera and if you are able to read French ( Annemarie!!!  :)  )

have a look here:

www.mikis-theodorakis.net

Thanks, once more, Anna, for this very nice link to Mikis' Lysistrata... :blush:

I'm very happy to know that you and Kate will be there Anna.  :blush:

That way, we are sure to get a detailed report of the performance :) I wouldn't trust anyone else ! :blush:

Annemarie, σιγα σιγα, we don't have the tickets yet!!

Btw. meanwhile I got the first information about 'Lysistrata'.

Don't you agree the women shouldn't have to pay to get into the performance?

Next time we have another text in French I wouldn't forget Geeske and Francois!  :sarcasm:

Annemarie, σιγα σιγα, we don't have the tickets yet!!

Consider you have a mission  liebe Bewunderin   :)  :)

You must not fail us!  :(

But maybe the ticket service of Megaro fails!! They don't know about my special mission!  :(

And I always remember the Tsitsanis performance at Megaro was sold out within one day!!

Yeah!!!Don't remind me ! What a nerve racking experience !

Upon my dear husband's advice (I would never have thought of it myself, dimwit that I am...) I sent my e-mail order one day ahead of the "official" date for booking, terrified at the thought that they wouldn't take into account and it would be lost.........but they took it, it worked !

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :(

I would like to thank Guy Wagner for his kind reception of my hasty translation of his interview, and for his help with the corrections. I have edited my earlier post to incorporate them.

Do I understand well? Guy Wagner read your translation at this forum and gave some corrections??

Actually, after I made and posted it here, I felt rather guilty about just using it like that, so I looked up who made the site, and that turned out to be him, so I sent him an email offering him the translation, for what it was worth, if he wanted it for his site. And he wrote back giving me some corrections that mr Theodorakis had made to the interview text, so I reread my very hurried job rather more carefully, incorporated the corrections, and sent him the lot.

The result: http://www.mikis-theodorakis.net/lysie_mt.html

:music:  :D  :D

I couldn't open the Theodorakis website now! Maybe they are doing the update just in this moment!

Ok it still doesn't work, I take the time to post another article. After the French and the English now, finally something in Greek!

It was Annemarie who told me to have a look at ΚΑΘΗΜΕΡΙΝΗ from the 27.02.2002

www.kathimerini.gr

όπερα

Λυσιστράτη με «άρωμα» Μεσοπολέμου

Στη διάρκεια μιας πρόβας για το ανέβασμα της νέας όπερας στο Μέγαρο Μουσικής Αθηνών ο συνθέτης Μίκης Θεοδωράκης

και ο σκηνοθέτης Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης μιλούν για την ουτοπία και την πραγματικότητα της αριστοφανικής κωμωδίας

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ο Μίκης Θεοδωράκης κοιτάζει το κείμενο της Λυσιστράτης ενώ ο Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης συντονίζει τους ερμηνευτές και τα μέλη της χορωδίας επί σκηνής, κατά τις πρόβες του έργου

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Παπούτσια χαμηλά, μαλλιά πρόχειρα χτενισμένα προς τα πίσω, ρούχα άνετα ώστε να διευκολύνουν τις κινήσεις. Είναι Δευτέρα πρωί και, όπως οι ενδυματολογικές επιλογές τους μαρτυρούν, όλοι όσοι βρίσκονται στον ειδικά διαμορφωμένο υπόγειο χώρο του Ωδείου Αθηνών ξέρουν καλά πως έχουν μπροστά τους μία ακόμη «μακρά» ημέρα. Μπορεί η πρεμιέρα της «Λυσιστράτης» ­ της νέας όπερας του Μίκη Θεοδωράκη που θα παρουσιαστεί σε παγκόσμια πρώτη στο Μέγαρο με τη στήριξη της Πολιτιστικής Ολυμπιάδας - να θέλει περισσότερο από ένα μήνα, οι υψηλές προδιαγραφές της παραγωγής ωστόσο απαιτούν ικανό χρόνο προετοιμασίας. Στην άκρη της σκηνής ο σκηνοθέτης Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης συζητεί ήσυχα με κάποιους από τους ερμηνευτές. Λίγο πιο πέρα, στην ίδια ευθεία, ο πιανίστας έχει ήδη πάρει τη θέση του. Τα επόμενα λεπτά η κινητικότητα αυξάνεται εντυπωσιακά: πόρτες ανοιγοκλείνουν διαρκώς ενώ οι «κερκίδες» ολοένα και γεμίζουν από μέλη της χορωδίας και κομπάρσους.

Με φόντο το άβαφο ακόμη αλλά ήδη διαμορφωμένο σκηνικό η επί σκηνής εμφάνιση του διδύμου Κλεονίκης - Λυσιστράτης σηματοδοτεί την έναρξη της πρόβας. Ορθιος στην άκρη της σκηνής ο σκηνοθέτης δίνει κατευθύνσεις. «Νάζι θέλω, έτσι μπράβο» θα πει λίγη ώρα αργότερα απευθυνόμενος στη Μυρίνη της παράστασης. Κάποια στιγμή και ενώ η πρόβα βρίσκεται σε πλήρη εξέλιξη η πόρτα ανοίγει. Μπαίνει ο Μίκης Θεοδωράκης κρατώντας ανά χείρας το κείμενο της «Λυσιστράτης». Αθόρυβα παίρνει τη θέση του στο τραπέζι που έχει τοποθετηθεί μπροστά από τη σκηνή. Κάπου κάπου ανταλλάσσει χαμηλόφωνα μια κουβέντα με τον Γιώργο Μιχαηλίδη ή με κάποιον από τους συντελεστές που τον πλησιάζει. Λίγο αργότερα ο συνθέτης κατευθύνεται προς τον πιανίστα. Ανταλλάσσει μερικά λόγια μαζί του και επιστρέφει στη θέση του. Παρακολουθώντας πότε το κείμενο και πότε τα επί σκηνής δρώμενα ένα πλατύ χαμόγελο διαγράφεται στο πρόσωπό του.

«Είμαι κυριολεκτικά ενθουσιασμένος» θα πει λίγο αργότερα ο Μίκης Θεοδωράκης όταν στο διάλειμμα της πρόβας μάς δίνει την απρόσμενη ευκαιρία μιας πρώτης σύντομης συζήτησης μαζί του. «Εχω αποφασίσει να παρακολουθήσω συστηματικά τη διαδικασία των δοκιμών. Το βρίσκω συναρπαστικό. Οταν έγραφα το έργο φανταζόμουν και εγώ ορισμένα πράγματα, ο Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης όμως με υπερβαίνει. Φυσικά δεν επεμβαίνω. Η σκηνοθεσία είναι δικός του τομέας».

Μετά την «Ηλέκτρα», τη «Μήδεια» και την «Αντιγόνη» - τρεις γυναικείες εμβληματικές μορφές της ελληνικής τραγωδίας - ο Μίκης Θεοδωράκης ολοκληρώνει την τετραλογία με μια κωμωδία: «Από μουσικής άποψης η "Λυσιστράτη" δεν έχει καμία σχέση με τις τρεις προηγούμενες όπερες. Αλλωστε και το θέμα είναι εντελώς διαφορετικό» εξηγεί ο συνθέτης.

«Εδώ έχουμε να κάνουμε με ένα θέμα διονυσιακό. Γι' αυτό πρέπει να είναι ένα έργο φωτεινό, ρυθμικό, χαρούμενο. Με ενδιαφέρει πολύ να φανεί το απόλυτο κοντράστ με τα προηγούμενα. Εκείνα ήταν "μαύρα". Με τη "Λυσιστράτη" επιστρέφω σε ρίζες ρυθμικές. Είναι πιο μικρό από τα άλλα, πιο ανθρώπινο. Θέλω όμως να είναι ένα ποίημα χαράς. Είχα άλλωστε μια πρωτοφανή διάθεση να το κάνω καθώς ένιωθα πολλά πράγματα συσσωρευμένα μέσα μου. Είναι γνωστή η απόφασή μου να μην ξαναγράψω μετά τον θάνατο του αδελφού μου Γιάννη. Επέμενε όμως τόσο ο πρόεδρος του ΟΜΜΑ, ο κ. Λαμπράκης, που τελικά ενέδωσα. Σκέφτηκα λοιπόν να μείνω στο πλαίσιο της ελληνικής κωμωδίας. Η "Λυσιστράτη" με ενδιέφερε πολύ λόγω του στοιχείου της ειρήνης και της ενότητας των Ελλήνων. Το εύρημα άλλωστε του Αριστοφάνη, η αποχή των γυναικών με αίτημα να σταματήσει ο πόλεμος, το βρίσκω καταπληκτικό. Δεν είναι μόνο κωμικό, είναι ταυτόχρονα και τραγικό. Για μένα η "Λυσιστράτη" είναι ένα έργο δραματικό με πολύ ενδιαφέροντα κωμικά στοιχεία» συνεχίζει ο συνθέτης.

«Η δραματικότητα υπάρχει από τη στιγμή που έχουμε να κάνουμε με μια ουτοπία» παρεμβαίνει στη συζήτηση ο Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης. «Αυτό που φαντάστηκε ο Αριστοφάνης δεν μπορεί να γίνει. Οι γυναίκες δεν μπορούν να τα βάλουν με στρατούς κτλ. Τις πιάνεις, τις κλείνεις στη φυλακή και τελείωσες μαζί τους. Στην κωμική βέβαια διάσταση όλα γίνονται στο θέατρο. Ακόμη και η "Λυσιστράτη"...».

«Ναι, αλλά εδώ βγαίνει και ένα δίδαγμα» παίρνει και πάλι τον λόγο ο Μίκης Θεοδωράκης. «Η ουτοπία παρουσιάζεται πιο δυνατή από την πραγματικότητα. Ενώ η ιστορία είναι δεδομένη, χιλιάδες χρόνια αργότερα ο κόσμος ενδιαφέρεται να τη μάθει από τον Αριστοφάνη. Θέλει να ξέρει τι έγινε μέσα στο κεφάλι ενός ποιητή...».

Αξιοσημείωτο στοιχείο στην παραγωγή, η εμφάνιση του Γιώργου Νταλάρα στον ρόλο του ποιητή-σχολιαστή των γεγονότων. Πρόκειται για την πρώτη φορά που ο δημοφιλής ερμηνευτής μετέχει σε όπερα. «Είναι η λαϊκή "πινελιά" στο έργο» λέει ο Μίκης Θεοδωράκης. «Οταν έχω την ευκαιρία να εντάξω λαϊκά όργανα σε συμφωνικά έργα, το κάνω και πιστεύω ότι αυτό τα εξελληνίζει. Ο ποιητής ως λαϊκός τραγουδιστής είναι πιο κοντά στο ευρύ κοινό. Ετσι ο κόσμος εξοικειώνεται με ένα νέο είδος. Στην προκειμένη περίπτωση βέβαια θεωρώ ότι πρόκειται για νέο είδος μόνο επιφανειακά. Πιστεύω ότι μετά τις πρώτες παραστάσεις η "Λυσιστράτη" θα γίνει πολύ οικείο έργο».

Μιλώντας για τη σκηνική σύλληψη της όπερας ο Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης χαρακτηρίζει τη «Λυσιστράτη» διαχρονική. Οπως αποκαλύπτει, η παράσταση θα έχει «άρωμα» Μεσοπολέμου και Κατοχής σε μια προσπάθεια αποκατάστασης της ιστορικής συνέχειας. Απτό παράδειγμα, η επί σκηνής εμφάνιση τόσο του ίδιου του Μίκη Θεοδωράκη όσο και του Μάνου Χατζιδάκι. «Θέλω να τον τιμήσω. Νιώθω πως τον έχω πάντα μαζί μου» λέει ο συνθέτης. «Νομίζω μάλιστα ότι αυτό είναι το ωραιότερο σημείο του έργου».

«Είναι συναισθηματικό αυτό που λέει ο Μίκης» παρεμβαίνει ο Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης. «Δεν είναι το ωραιότερο. Είναι απλώς ένα από τα ωραιότερα» λέει και προτού ολοκληρώσει τη φράση του βρίσκεται κιόλας επί σκηνής. Το μεσημέρι έχει προχωρήσει και η πρόβα πρέπει να συνεχιστεί...

Η «Λυσιστράτη» του Μίκη Θεοδωράκη κάνει πρεμιέρα στις 14 Απριλίου στην Αίθουσα Φίλων της Μουσικής του Μεγάρου. Εντάσσεται στο πλαίσιο της Πολιτιστικής Ολυμπιάδας 2001-2004 και πραγματοποιείται με τη στήριξή της. Θα ακολουθήσουν παραστάσεις στις 16, 17, 18 και 20 Απριλίου. Τη σκηνοθεσία υπογράφει ο Γιώργος Μιχαηλίδης, τα σκηνικά και τα κοστούμια ο Διονύσης Φωτόπουλος. Η μουσική διεύθυνση είναι του Νίκου Τσούχλου και του νεαρού μαέστρου Βασίλη Χριστόπουλου (17/4). Συμμετέχουν η Ορχήστρα και η Χορωδία της Εθνικής Λυρικής Σκηνής. Τον ρόλο της Λυσιστράτης ερμηνεύουν η Δάφνη Ευαγγελάτου και η Τζούλια Σουγλάκου. Πληροφορίες στο τηλ. 010 7282.333.

ΙΣΜΑ Μ. ΤΟΥΛΑΤΟΥ

ΤΟ ΒΗΜΑ , 10-03-2002

Κωδικός άρθρου: B13511C101

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0